Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 67 111 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

The Godless Heathen

Health & Exercise Thread! 2.0

Old thread was quite old & really needed to be updated so here we are.

interesting people to follow on YouTube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975 <= Need an intense workout she's your gal.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961 <= Need good tips & knowledge regarding how to workout follow him.

interesting blogs :
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ <= possibly the best Frequently asked question site you can get.

let me know if you guys have something to contribute to the thread & I'll add it

also start ask/discussing anything regarding diet & fitness.

The Godless Heathen
    since no one is ever on this forums i guess its all me.

so i recently realized that i was doing the hiit training by the wrong 2:1 ratio , i feel really stupid now i was doing 2:1-Rest:Work ratio although its the other way around.Also my legs are aching like a mofo due too all the jump rope i've been doing without much break.

so anyone still working out or am i alone now ?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    btw...
    Quote Originally Posted by MentallyCritical View Post
    since no one is ever on this forums i guess its all me.

so i recently realized that i was doing the hiit training by the wrong 2:1 ratio , i feel really stupid now i was doing 2:1-Rest:Work ratio although its the other way around.Also my legs are aching like a mofo due too all the jump rope i've been doing without much break.

so anyone still working out or am i alone now ?
    A session of say 20 secs jogging/fast walking - 10 secs of hard sprinting is actually the more common type of HIIT. Just don't let your rest period get too long (like over a minute or two). IMO a session of 10 seconds off 20 seconds on would be insane, considering its 20 seconds of "going close to your maximum" - a 10 second rest wouldn't be adequate enough for you to continue that pace. If you could do a whole session you're either a) really fit and kudos to you; or b) not going hard enough. Honestly, if you've seen results with your current ratio, I see no point in changing it. If its getting easier, extend the length of time (so go from 10 secs 'on' to 15 and 20 seconds 'off' to 30 etc...).

PSN: Hohjirozame

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    Looks like a solid routine.

Regarding the chest, try incorporating some dumbbells and incline/decline exercises. I would suggest trying out Flys, Incline Press, Decline Pushups and Chest Dips.

PSN: Hohjirozame

The Godless Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Carcharias View Post
    Looks like a solid routine.

Regarding the chest, try incorporating some dumbbells and incline/decline exercises. I would suggest trying out Flys, Incline Press, Decline Pushups and Chest Dips.
    i do do some decline push ups & I'll try to do some incline dumbbell press using the ball. i'll try to some of the other stuff as well. thanks mate

ComplyOrDie!
    I train 5 days a week.. But I'm more bodybuilder training that fitness. Managed to break my record for Bench Press max the other day though 145KG For 10 reps. Chuffed with that tbh.

Superior Member
    I am just over 5"7 and at the start of last year i weighed over 17st (238lb).
    I believe I got to that weight because I never exercised and i over ate.

I got sick of being overweight so i decided to do something about it. First thing i did was cut out junk food like fizzy pop,sweets,crisps and I also ate very little white bread.

I also started walking to college instead of getting lifts from my parents.

I now weigh around 186lb and plan to get to 154 before Easter or Summer.

I have started doing some weight lifting recently too. Also my right arm is stronger than my left and this can make weight lifting difficult does anyone know how to fix this?
    

The Godless Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by HD_GAMER View Post

I got sick of being overweight so i decided to do something about it. First thing i did was cut out junk food like fizzy pop,sweets,crisps and I also ate very little white bread.

I have started doing some weight lifting recently too. Also my right arm is stronger than my left and this can make weight lifting difficult does anyone know how to fix this?
    try paying more attention to your left hand & do more reps for the left hand.
    i personally just started to do chin ups to increase biceps strength you can try that as well.

i too was in a similar situation as you mate just keep at it & you'll reach your goal.

Superior Member
    try paying more attention to your left hand & do more reps for the left hand.
    i personally just started to do chin ups to increase biceps strength you can try that as well.

i too was in a similar situation as you mate just keep at it & you'll reach your goal.
    Thanks ill try this Just ordered myself some weight lifting gloves from ebay because my dumbbells are going to tear my hands apart
    

The Godless Heathen
    Thanks ill try this Just ordered myself some weight lifting gloves from ebay because my dumbbells are going to tear my hands apart
    be aware that the gloves might make you lose griping ability though.

Dedicated Member

use free weights or machines that work arms independantly. that way the strong arm doesn't carry th weak one.

ComplyOrDie!
    I'd never do more reps on one side of my body than another, All experienced lifters will tell you this. I'm not saying your not experienced MC, It's only natural its weaker than your right. It will even itself out and you will be fine. Dont train one side of the body more than another.

The Godless Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy_ View Post
    I'd never do more reps on one side of my body than another, All experienced lifters will tell you this. I'm not saying your not experienced MC, It's only natural its weaker than your right. It will even itself out and you will be fine. Dont train one side of the body more than another.
    i'm not really that experienced , can i ask the reason behind this statement ?

Superior Member
    IS there any benefits to doing situps when i'm overweight? If so what are they.
    

ComplyOrDie!
    i'm not really that experienced , can i ask the reason behind this statement ?
    Well for one once that other side has become accustom to exercising and caught up to the other side it will be stronger and bigger than the other side then youl be out of proportion and back to square one, Also You'll screw up your abs because during every lift your core is activated. When you have one side weaker than the other try to do indiviugual exercises for that section of your body, i.e you exercise your chest dont do Barbell Press try too do dumbell press or cables. Something that works them muscle indivugualy. What I'd say do which worked for me when I had chest problems is Stretch the hell out of your back and chest after a workout. I aim for 3-4 times a week minimum. This can be static stretching, but I find that yoga helps to create better flexability in the muscles, even them out and make them a hell of a lot firmer and stronger.

For chest exercises I say stick with a bar and train for strength with reps of 6-8. Any less will cause the stronger side to take over and any more will cause growth which can lead to a greater imbalance. Don't go to failure the bigger side takes over once again.

Cable crossovers with only one side works well. Just do a crossover with the left hand and then the right hand.

IS there any benefits to doing situps when i'm overweight? If so what are they.
    Well of course there is, It will tone your abs for one.. If your have a good diet set up it will help burn fat on your tummy a lot better although jogging is the best fat burner in my experience.

Forum Guru
    it will help burn fat on your tummy a lot better although jogging is the best fat burner in my experience.
    You can't actually isolate fat loss [on a specific region] doing cardio, but *any* cardio will burn fat. Good general info though, nice contribution.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

ComplyOrDie!
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    You can't actually isolate fat loss [on a specific region] doing cardio, but *any* cardio will burn fat. Good general info though, nice contribution.
    That is true, What I meant is his abs will be getting more toned which will give the effect of burning fat off his abs region which whilst he is also burning fat which will give the effect of him burning fat from there

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Yeah it really isn't acne, but its very similar. But thanks for the input man, appreciate it.

Learn to do signatures here

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Alright I dunno if anyone can answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.

So I workout about 3-4 times a week actively, and at one point I started to use protein drinks. Well I noticed that I started to get real bad acne from them, and it completely destroyed my neck. Well I wasn't sure that they came from the drinks so I started again, and again came the acne. Anyone know why this happened? Is there some special ingredient that I could be allergic to?

Learn to do signatures here

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post

So I workout about 3-4 times a week actively, and at one point I started to use protein drinks. Well I noticed that I started to get real bad acne from them, and it completely destroyed my neck. Well I wasn't sure that they came from the drinks so I started again, and again came the acne. Anyone know why this happened? Is there some special ingredient that I could be allergic to?
    Increased testosterone. When you work out your testosterone levels rise and it causes acne.
    That would be my guess, but since you said the shakes causes them I don't know. Maybe the drink helped your body produce more testosterone? Also, I think an allergic reaction would cause a rash or bumps but not true zits.
    Last edited by iliketehps3; 01-08-2011 at 18:30.

ComplyOrDie!
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post

your body is responding to the higher portein intake in conclusion causing minor acne usually on the back or face. Plus when you work out testostrone increases, so does the sebaceous glands in your skin, which produces the oil and what not. Plus maybe your protein intake is too high, Which in most cases people will either pee or crap it out but in other cases your body reacts to being over fed there for causing problems.

The Godless Heathen
    Well for one once that other side has become accustom to exercising and caught up to the other side it will be stronger and bigger than the other side then youl be out of proportion and back to square one, Also You'll screw up your abs because during every lift your core is activated. When you have one side weaker than the other try to do indiviugual exercises for that section of your body, i.e you exercise your chest dont do Barbell Press try too do dumbell press or cables. Something that works them muscle indivugualy. What I'd say do which worked for me when I had chest problems is Stretch the hell out of your back and chest after a workout. I aim for 3-4 times a week minimum. This can be static stretching, but I find that yoga helps to create better flexability in the muscles, even them out and make them a hell of a lot firmer and stronger.

For chest exercises I say stick with a bar and train for strength with reps of 6-8. Any less will cause the stronger side to take over and any more will cause growth which can lead to a greater imbalance. Don't go to failure the bigger side takes over once again.

Cable crossovers with only one side works well. Just do a crossover with the left hand and then the right hand.

Well of course there is, It will tone your abs for one.. If your have a good diet set up it will help burn fat on your tummy a lot better although jogging is the best fat burner in my experience.
    ah cool.
    but what if i don't really work till failure rather do the wights at higher intensity then will working one side more than the other be a problem ? as I'm only taking one side to failure & the other side is quite bigger(right arm) than the other arm(left arm) or the fact still stands about the overall imbalance being created.

also since the p90x topic cropped up again i'll tell you guys about my experience with it not that i've practiced the whole thing but i tried doing the yoga dvd thinking that it might be a little calmer then ab ripper x(which is what i did prior to trying the yoga) but man was it intense & a bit too much if you ask me.(i was like wtf isn't yoga supposed to be calming & **** ?)

@ F34R keep us updated on how that goes

also anyone jump rope ?
    i do it by-weekly as my ankles start to kill me , but in retrospect its all ways worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketehps3 View Post
    Yeah! Although since you are more about bodybuilding, it may not be a great thing for you. There is more focus on cardio and flexibility exercises than weight training.

Also what about supplements? I'm interested in what you guys use!
    i personally don't like using supplements , i take lentil's for my protein needs & eat my veggies most of the time but the only thing i do supplement for is calcium as i don't fancy drinking milk all the time & that's kind of my only source of calcium because i'm a lacto-vegetarian(because i live in India & my family is hindu(not me my family.)).
    Last edited by MentallyCritical; 01-07-2011 at 11:25.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm about to start a blog for weight loss with only using good eating habits and using dance central and the fight lights out...

ComplyOrDie!
    Cool, Look forward to it. Be sure to update us here too.

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I exercise both mornings and evenings 5 days a week.

Mornings for 20 mins and afternoons for 40mins.

I took a break over Xmas which i am still trying to work off.

Thread Information