Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    leukoplast
    Ok, I am a little confused. What is rep power??

Bandw!dth Savior
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This whole dang site is out of order!!!
    Digital Recess
    Signed up before PS3 launch, back again for PS4

Sony

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer1112 View Post
    I never said humor should be eliminated from the forums, but it shouldn't be allowed to run rampant either.

I'm just sick an tired of seeing good threads go to hell when someone decides to be funny and throws the entire thread off topic. If the entire thread is based on humor (like EA buying the salad shooter rights) then by all means laugh.

But when Phil Harrison leaves Sony and people are discussing who will replace him and how it will affect Sony, someone coming in and saying "Must have gotten pantsed in the hallway! LOL!" it ruins the flow of the thread.

The only reason why the ban thread was so successful was because people went in there to rep jokes, and pad the post count so they could inflate rep even further. But it didn't stop in the ban thread, it spilled over into real threads and eventually its just people going around and making jokes.

Is this forum about jokes, or is it about the PS3?
    Ok, you didn't say you wanted it eliminated, i see that, that was a whoopsie on my part.
    But it does seem like you want it to be eliminated from everywhere other than GCC. Now GCC isn't just about jokes either, it has discussion on films, sport and news that isn't ps3 related..it isn't just a constant joke after joke after joke.
    I think jokes certaintly belong (like in your Phil example) in serious discussion too. I mean, someone cracks that hallway joke and you have a giggle. If someone has a serious point to make, they are not going to read a joke and think...oh, well i can't say what i was going to say anymore.
    I think the only way a thread is derailed is when it turns into a flame war.
    But if it does start to become more jokes than anything else, simply put:

"On a serious note..." before what you say..

*This is by no means a personal attack..

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

lucifer1968
    i still dont know how to give rep?. carnt see a star in top right of people's post. is it because im using a ps3 ?.

Urban Ethnic
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    When I press Usercp this is what I see. My subscribed threads.

i have this problem, i can not see my rep, but my rep status is going up so im reciveing it :/
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

Elite Guru
    Hmpf rep power must contain republic information. I vote democratic so don't rep me. Please.
    Feed the troll

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bfd_josh View Post
    i have this problem, i can not see my rep, but my rep status is going up so im reciveing it :/
    Doesn't look like you have any rep from people, but it does go up automatically based on post count and time on the forum so that probably explains your situation.

Urban Ethnic
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    Quote Originally Posted by grcswoosh View Post
    Doesn't look like you have any rep from people, but it does go up automatically based on post count and time on the forum so that probably explains your situation.
    ahhh thanks for the help man, + rep
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgreat View Post
    Is this forum isn't about jokes, why do we have a Wii section?

LOL MAN +REP FOR THAT!!!!!!

...it appears i am part of the problem
    (k now somebody rep me cause my comment was funny)

Jokes aside, maybe you should implement something so that posts that receive multiple +reps also receive "bonus" rep, going up exponentially or something.

So lets say some Person 1 makes a useful post while Person 2 makes a joke. Person 1 gets his post repped 3 times and Person 2 gets his post repped once.
    For simplicity's sake, lets say each +rep ads 5 rep.

Under the currents system, it would be
    Person 1: 15 rep
    Person 2: 5 rep

But if we had the bonus system, it would look like this:
    Person 1: 125 rep (5x5x5)
    Person 2: 5 rep

That way both people would still get rep, but the usefull poster will get a much bigger boost for his useful post.

Or we could do something like, I don't know, when 2 people rep the same post, there's a cool little "2x multiplier!" graphic in the corner of the post.

And when 4 people rep it, it says, "KILLING SPREE!"

...and when 10 people rep it, it plays an audio clip that goes: "OVERKILL!!!!" ......

I'm not sure how that would help but damn, that would be cool.

I'm planning on living forever. So far, so good.

gta0004
    i sooo wanna have -99999 rep

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bubano View Post
    Hmpf rep power must contain republic information. I vote democratic so don't rep me. Please.

I'm sorry, I had to +rep you for that one. Totally against your wishes, lol, but that post made my morning!
    Spike: Well, what can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad.

Gotmilk
    Quote Originally Posted by grcswoosh View Post
    that explains people with 5 posts and 14 rep

Superior Member
    Let me get this straight ..... from reading this thread, even if I got +rep from someone, it is not automatically counted in my rep power ...... as it will depend from what I have posted, right?

For example ..... I have been +rep twice in TV shows section ..... but my rep power was never increased from 7 to 9. This is before the rep power indicator above the avatar was temporarily removed for a while in this forum. So I have always wondered, is this just a mistake or my reason for being +rep was deemed unworthy to be counted in my rep power

gta0004
    I saw someone repped me and they posted a comment. But when i clicked the "Add Rep" button on someone's post, i didn't get a prompt to post a comment. Am i doing something wrong?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    Quote Originally Posted by gta0004 View Post
    I saw someone repped me and they posted a comment. But when i clicked the "Add Rep" button on someone's post, i didn't get a prompt to post a comment. Am i doing something wrong?
    It should come up, I got it right on my fist try

gta0004
    i had to open it in a new tab to make it show.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    that explains people with 5 posts and 14 rep
    BabySammy has made 24 posts and has a Rep Power of 16. This is because he joined in 2006 and apparently lost interest in the site, then just started posting again.

The easiest way to earn rep power is to do nothing. You get one rep power point for every 50 day you've been a member of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeth124 View Post
    Let me get this straight ..... from reading this thread, even if I got +rep from someone, it is not automatically counted in my rep power ...... as it will depend from what I have posted, right?

For example ..... I have been +rep twice in TV shows section ..... but my rep power was never increased from 7 to 9. This is before the rep power indicator above the avatar was temporarily removed for a while in this forum. So I have always wondered, is this just a mistake or my reason for being +rep was deemed unworthy to be counted in my rep power
    No, it is still counted. You get +1 rep power point for every 200 rep you receive.

You also get +1 point for every 50 days you've been registered on the forums and +1 for every 600 posts you've made.

So if you've been registered for 50 days, have 200 rep and 600 posts, you'll have a Rep Power of 4 (I think everybody starts with 1 rep). If on the same day you somehow increased your rep to 400, you'd have a Rep power of 5. Hope that helps.

At least I think thats how it works.
    I've joined the site (+1 rep power) and have been here for for 210 days (+4 rep power), have made 300+ posts (+0 rep power) and have 292 rep (+1 rep power). That leaves me with a Rep Power of 6.

You've joined (+1 rep power) been here for 332 days (+6 rep power) and don't have 600 posts yet. Since it says you have a rep power of 7, I'm guessing you don't have 200 rep yet either, but correct me if I'm wrong. If you do have 200 rep, then something's weird with the calculations or there's some rounding going on...

Oh and if everybody wants to see how much rep power they are getting from the amount of time they've been a member, go here and type in the date they joined. Then divide the number of days by 50.

I'm planning on living forever. So far, so good.

Superior Member
    I have 45 rep. So if i get 1 more rep from someone..then will i have 2 blue pips?

Thanks to ScorpionT16 for the Sig!!!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtown View Post

You've joined (+1 rep power) been here for 332 days (+6 rep power) and don't have 600 posts yet. Since it says you have a rep power of 7, I'm guessing you don't have 200 rep yet either, but correct me if I'm wrong. If you do have 200 rep, then something's weird with the calculations or there's some rounding going on...
    Now I finally understand. I guess I got confused with some of the infos. Many thanks and +rep to you.

gta0004
    The OP says i can rate a post as negative, how do i do that?

Also, on my list of rep's, all of them have the light blue rep icon except one, which has dark blue. Why?

-PuReOwNaGe1994
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBengaliKid View Post
    I have 45 rep. So if i get 1 more rep from someone..then will i have 2 blue pips?

Ill get you to blue pips if you give me back dude.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -PuReOwNaGe1994 View Post
    Ill get you to blue pips if you give me back dude.

O_o We have a rep begger on our hands.
    |42" HD Plasma 1080P|5.1 Surround Sound|60 GB PS3|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KILLZONED!!

Forum Elder
    From what I gather, you put the rep system on WAY too high of a pedestal. Do you actually think that repping quality posts would mean that more quality posts would show up?

Clearly you don't trust the SMC and mods with this responsibility. If you can't trust them though, how can you trust all members?
    Micromanagement is not a responsibility...it's sadistic power mongering. Why do you care so much about why people rep what they rep?

They make the jokes to get repped, thats what the ban thread was all about and it carried over into other legitimate threads. It ruins the threads, plain and simple. If you get rid of the repping the jokes will stop or at least be minimized.
    I won't say you're wrong...but you can't prove a shred of that. Starting from the top, you don't know why people post what they post, period, but I find the notion insulting that you believe that people's humor is rooted in some intangible system of numbers as opposed to making their fellow forum members laugh. Get rid of your little rep system then and see if the jokes die down. Sounds more to me like you have less of a problem with the rep system and more of an ax to grind.

The ban thread...IMHO a useless piece of garbage thread that although I myself have participated in a handful of times, I feel to largely be trash, however I won't sit here and tell people what they can and can't do in the thread. That's their prerogative, which includes repping others. The point of that thread is what it is...a forum game. You're making a mountain out of a molehill by trying to tell others what they're doing when you don't know and not only can't prove it, you have no way of going about trying to prove it.

But if you rep only the quality post, then you'll get more quality posts and less jokes.
    yet another assertion that you can't prove, and frankly, I find this to be insulting to the community. You're saying that thought-provoking discussions and intresting ideas have less of an impact on the creativity and intelligent discussion of this forum than some calculated numbers game? Thanks for slapping the whole community in the face and telling us that the only reason we make quality posts, whatever the f*ck that means, is so one of our buddies will click a button and bolster our egos.

Not everyone here cares about their e-p*nis, and here you are pretty much telling the whole community that this is what defines them.

If people want to joke, then by all means go to the GCC where theres no rep and no sp and joke. But this is PS3 forums, the majority of the discussion should be on the PS3 and related topics. Joke forums exist, and if you want to only joke and get repped for jokes go there. But the focus here is and should be on the PS3.
    And the focus is on that, however there are subforums here for a reason. Sounds to me like you're more about stifling people's thought processes more than you are about advancing the community. You would rather regulate and control what people do as opposed to allowing the community to foster creativity amongst one another and enjoy themselves. It starts with this petty rep crap. Where will it end? Already you're insinuating no more jokes and talk about anything that isn't directly related to the PS3. Are we not allowed to enjoy one another as human beings anymore?

Like it or not, these forums are a gateway to meeting and greeting other folks. I don't indulgt in that too much myself, but if you take a look at GCC, it's apparent that many people enjoy conversating with one another, and here you are trying to supress that.

Have you seen some sigs? People beg for rep. If you want proof look for the ones that have been caught in the infractions forum. It's against the rules, and it'll stop if you can only get repped by SMCs and Mods.
    No it won't. Are SMC's and Mods no longer human? Is their judgment and perception omnipotent and beyond the comprehension of any "common member" Don't make me laugh. You've got just as much room for human error as the rest of us.

There is. You're trying to find the smallest holes in my system with WHAT IF's. How can we trust mods and SMCs to give infractions, close threads, ban people and moderate the forum if we can't trust them with rep?
    Uh...the thing is, half the members here don't agree with the mods in the first place, as we have nothing to do with choosing them(which I agree with btw) anyway, so what's your point? Human judgment isn't perfect, and I'll bet you a dime to a dollar that every thread closing and ban that's been levied by a mod has been challenged by someone here in the past.

This whole rep controversy is a bit ridiculous. Really, this is the most innocent little thing that's being regulated here, and if it really is that much of a problem, just get rid of it. Do we NEED a rep system? The way I look at it, if it can't be something personal among members...the way it ought to be, then it shouldn't exist. Heck, I ought to be able to rep a post that says "SDJBKFGKSNBNGVK!O)#*T$W@(UT!!" if I bloody well wanted to. That's why we have minds of our own and we rep posts that WE FEEL deserve our kudos. Why is nobody's business but the giver and reciever, and being that it's such a relationship, there's no harm done.

Those of you that feel threatened by folks conspiring to increase their rep...why is it such a huge concern? Seriously, do you honestly believe that the folks here who genuinely have the most useful and informative posts really care that some dorkwad with nothing better to do has higher rep than them? What makes you think they would even want to compete with someone like that? Yet another notion that I find insulting to the community, that we're all just here fighting for the next rep pip.

If it can't be free of restrictions and up to the discretion of the giver, as it should be, then just take it away, it won't be missed. GAF does just fine without it, it certainly isn't a defining cornerstone of this forum.

We're looking at ways to make rep an incentive for quality posts. We still have to work out a lot of the practical stuff though.
    Just saw this. Rep doesn't need to be an incentive for quality posts, it's just a bloody number for crying out loud. It ought to e a way for us to simply give kudos to others for posts we feel are worth it, and worth is defined by the individual, not some forum guideline.

Once again, I find the notion that quality posters do what they do for a number to be insulting. One would think that fostering good debate and discussion is the incentive for a quality post, yet you're telling me that the mods are sitting around thinking that people come up with constructive things to say not for the sake of garnering more responses, hearing opinions, and other points of view...but to increase some calculated number? I'm sorry, are we on a forum? Because if this the case we may as well just quit replying to posts and just repping them all day, since apparently that's all any poster is after these days. I have a hard time taking this seriously.
    "My strategy has to be tragedy, catastrophe, and after this you'll call me your majesty..."

gta0004
    Quote Originally Posted by gta0004 View Post
    The OP says i can rate a post as negative, how do i do that?

Also, on my list of rep's, all of them have the light blue rep icon except one, which has dark blue. Why?
    Soo umm can anyone answer that?^

Elite Guru
    The dark one is by someone who's got none rep power, when they repped you.
    Feed the troll

Thread Information