Latest PSU headlines:

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1121 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    well... here's the funny thing

when i touch the PSU while my PC is switched on, it's not hot at all(my guess is around 10C)
    but everytime i switch off my PC and touch it, it's soo hot it could burn paper(over 40C)

shouldn't it be like... the other way around?? either that or there's another fan inside that i dont know about...
    PSOMGLMAO - Live in your world... bake, kill and play in ours!!! キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ 〜であります

Can some one tell me how to fix this...I did the msconfig thing running it as administrator.Selected the programs I didnt want to start but now each time windows starts it gives me this "some programs have been blocked" message.I'm running vista home premium edition

i beleve if click run blocked program it will start the msconfig message window and then at the bottom of that is a tik box to stop tht running at startup. just tik that and itl stop bovering you.

ok well theres a problem with my pc.
    wel thers a few lol
    its new and i built it myself so i know what all the bits r.

but my motherboards built in ethernet port doesnt seem to work u plug something in it and none of the lights come on.
    its suposed to support ddr2 8500 ram but when i set the ram to 1066mhz it wont post. this is not bad ram because i hav tried with 5 different ram sticks and its been the same with all of them.
    however is will post when set to 800mhz and i overclocked that to 900mhz and it stil managed to post and b ok.

and i cant update the chipset its not the most up to date one but when i downloaded it and clicked install it skiped the install and just said finished even when it wasnt finished.

i have an asus p5k mobo
    ethermax infiniti 650w power supply
    and im running windows vista 64 bit
    RFOM, Motorstorm, Fight Night Round 3

Dedicated Member
    ok... for some reason the fan of my PSU started working again...

its suposed to support ddr2 8500 ram but when i set the ram to 1066mhz it wont post. this is not bad ram because i hav tried with 5 different ram sticks and its been the same with all of them.
    however is will post when set to 800mhz and i overclocked that to 900mhz and it stil managed to post and b ok.
    your motherboard may be supporting upto 1066mhz fsb but my question to you is, does your ram sticks supports them?

you just can't put a PC2-6400(800mhz) ram and let it run @ 1066mhz just like that(unless it can go that high of course)
    well... it's maybe still possible but you will need to tweak your ram timings, voltage, etc...
    PSOMGLMAO - Live in your world... bake, kill and play in ours!!! キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ 〜であります

Pots n' Pans Robot
    I have an Audigy2 ZS sound card in my PC, with a Klipsch 4.1 speaker system connected.

My problem is that every time I restart my computer the Creative Audio Control Panel or whatever sets my speaker configuration back to 2/2.1 Speakers instead of 4.1 like I left it. I have to go in and manually tell it im using 4.1 Speakers EVERY TIME I start my machine up.

It's extremely annoying. Anyone have any ideas? I think it's been doing this since I got it, even when I had a 32bit XP installation instead of the 64bit XP I have now.
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...were not talking about any other versions right now."

Quote Originally Posted by MavSkipper View Post
    ok... for some reason the fan of my PSU started working again...

your motherboard may be supporting upto 1066mhz fsb but my question to you is, does your ram sticks supports them?

you just can't put a PC2-6400(800mhz) ram and let it run @ 1066mhz just like that(unless it can go that high of course)
    well... it's maybe still possible but you will need to tweak your ram timings, voltage, etc...
    yes the ram is proper spec.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=8&subcat=817
    this is the ram i have.

Dedicated Member
    hmm... only thing i can suggest right now is to reset your CMOS and run everything by default

or if you got a friend/someone else PC you can try your ram on, that might even help

i did the cmos fing. gota say those bloody jumper things r fidly.
    set everything to auto and cheked with cpu-z and it said it was running at 400mhz and it said ram was capable of 555mhz

could it b a dojy install of windows? im clutching at straws now. or a bad chipset install? i realy cant understand why its refusing to update those

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkus516 View Post
    could it b a dojy install of windows? im clutching at straws now. or a bad chipset install? i realy cant understand why its refusing to update those
    it has nothing to do with windows since your PC wont even post
    did you try updating your mobo's bios? which CPU have you got btw?

you might also want to check out ocUK's forum(ram/mobo threads) as they're much more knowledgeable than me

Pots n' Pans Robot
    Hmm, nobody knows anything about sound cards?
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...were not talking about any other versions right now."

Veteran
    I don't have your particular sound card so this is just from what I found online.

- removed the drivers & all the software that came on the installation cd .
    - ran the cd again & selected " drivers only " option .
    - restarted , then changed the setting from desktop stereo to 5.1 surround sound ..
    I'm assuming the last step is changed from the Control Panel > Sound area? I'm not too sure. Here's the link if you want to see it: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103542

Master Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Organic_Shadow View Post
    Hmm, nobody knows anything about sound cards?
    Try changing the option from the contol panel - sound and devices thingy. That did the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkus516 View Post
    i did the cmos fing. gota say those bloody jumper things r fidly.
    set everything to auto and cheked with cpu-z and it said it was running at 400mhz and it said ram was capable of 555mhz

So, you are able to get until the bios right? I suggest taking out all the ram sticks and putting them back in one-by-one and trying to start the PC at each increment. If it stops at the addition of a certain stick, it should be faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by MavSkipper View Post
    it has nothing to do with windows since your PC wont even post
    did you try updating your mobo's bios? which CPU have you got btw?

you might also want to check out ocUK's forum(ram/mobo threads) as they're much more knowledgeable than me
    good point lol. wel i tried updatin the bios with the asus updater that updates the bios from windows bt that got a bit screwed up sumwer and deleted my bios!! then i had to stik in the asus cd and let it find it and then reinstall the original bios then after that i could put reinstall the bios that it was on originaly.
    havnt got a floppy drive so im not sure how els to try updatin it bt i gave up on tht asus program aftr tht hapend.

processor is c2d e6750

thanks for the help anyway

Veteran
    I'm getting a new computer soon and basically I want to be able to run Crysis. I have a few Questions.

This is what my future PC will be.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    4GB Dual channel DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
    768MB Geforce 8800GTX

Now my Questions are:
    1. Is 4GB ram at 800MHz really all that better than the 4GB ram at 667MHz?
    2. Is it worth having a physics card?
    3. How well will it be able to run Crysis?

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 rocks View Post
    I'm getting a new computer soon and basically I want to be able to run Crysis. I have a few Questions.

Core 2 Quad Q6600
    768MB Geforce 8800GTX

Now my Questions are:
    1) Uhh... the short answer is "No". But it's good to have 800Mhz for future-proofing reasons.
    2) No, not right now.
    3) Probably all high at 1280x1024 res with AA and VSync turned off. Don't be expecting to hit 1600 x 1200, though, space cowboy .

That said, don't forget to buy a legit copy of 64-bit Windows if you're planning on using all 4 GB's of RAM. 32-bit versions will only support up to 3GB.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Master Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 rocks View Post

Core 2 Quad Q6600
    768MB Geforce 8800GTX

Now my Questions are:
    1 - Not by a huge margin, you should be looking for "low latency" ram rather than higher frequency. If you can get both, good!
    2 - Not until another upgrade cycle, imo. (2-3 years)
    3 - Depending on the resolution & all the jazz, it can vary from low-medium to medium-high.

Could any one help an internet noob out with forwarding ports? possibly on aim? Ive tried tons of times and it just doesnt work.

Veteran
    This site has all routers and guides on how to foward ports on them.

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

For AIM, it looks like you need port 5190 open for AIM talk and ports 443, 1024-5000, and 5190 for AIM video chat.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by softtack View Post
    This site has all routers and guides on how to foward ports on them.

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

For AIM, it looks like you need port 5190 open for AIM talk and ports 443, 1024-5000, and 5190 for AIM video chat.
    I see so many people online making references to portforward.com, but it has so many bad advices! It tells you to turn off NAT Filter... which is a DEFINITE NO-NO-NO-NO x 100!

Here's what you SHOULD do:
    Find our your local IP. Use portforward.com to find out the ports required by the program(s) you want to run. Forward those specific ports to your PC's local IP.

DON'T TURN OFF ANYTHING!

There, fully working router configurations without compromising security!
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    I see so many people online making references to portforward.com, but it has so many bad advices! It tells you to turn off NAT Filter... which is a DEFINITE NO-NO-NO-NO x 100!

Find our your local IP. Use portforward.com to find out the ports required by the program(s) you want to run. Forward those specific ports to your PC's local IP.

DON'T TURN OFF ANYTHING!

I've never actually read through the guides portfoward.com, but many people recommend it so I recommend it to others. I did skim it once for one of my old routers but it never mentioned turning off the NAT Filter. But yes, I would definitely keep it on if it is an option, and forward ports only on a certain internal IP to keep security at a maximum.

Master Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post

DON'T TURN OFF ANYTHING!

actually using DMZ on the ps3 wont do it any harm.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MiNiMaL_sAnItY View Post
    actually using DMZ on the ps3 wont do it any harm.
    I think he needed the info for AIM, although I don't know what ports would be blocked for it.

Superior Member
    Does anyone here know of any good free disk defragmenters available for download?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage

Master Sage

Try this one:

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Superior Member
    Thanks Minimal, that one seems to be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage

Thread Information