Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 818 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i need help as the other day i was over clocking my CPU and my PCI speed and now i cant turn my pc on as it turns itself off after a couple of secs i didnt over clock my CPU which is a 2.6 AMD 5000 DUAL CORE that much but i did turn my PCI speed right up so if anyone can help thanks

GuitarrassDeAmor
    Reset your CMOS.

Tip: If you don't know how to overclock, don't.

Superior Member
    And for another tip if you're a beginner...

Don't bother overclock the PCI bus speed. Look and see if your motherboard locks the CPU overclock from affecting the bus, if it doesn't then go back and manually change the bus speeds back to default (PCI=33, AGP=66, PCI-E=100). The gains (or lack thereof) are not worth the risks or time involved in overclocking the buses.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    thanks for the replys mine is PCI-E which it was at a 100, but my board has AI overclock on it i.e 5 ,10,20% but i just done it manually at i read that my CPU has a max speed of 3700 mhz but im only using 2600 mhz so i was just seeing how much i could get out of it without damaging the CPU but any way thanks for the help

Superior Member
    Okay, I need help from someone, anyone. My computer's been doing some strange things lately, namely: pops up a butt-load of bsod's, shuts itself down intermittently, has to close programs to write error reports for loads of things, and comes up with error messages stating how my system (or windows, rather) had to recover from a serious error, or something of that sort. I have not OC'ed it, or messed with any of the standard settings. I run virus scans, etc, checked the HDD for damaged sectors, and so forth, no dice. I have no clue what's wrong with it, but when the error reports come up it includes some TEMP files with the report. I'm using Windows XP SP3. My knowledge is limited and I'm running short on nerves right now; I'd appreciate any enlightenment.
    TRUE STORY||Talisman once bet NASA they could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked Talisman re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publically claimed it was a meteor, and still owes Talisman a beer.

GuitarrassDeAmor
    Erm....something could be failing...the hard drive or video card.

Superior Member
    Sorry I can't be of more help...it hasn't happened anymore, thankfully. I don't know if one of the cables was getting knocked loose or what...every now and then, the PC would shut down, and I don't mean shut down correctly. It would BSOD, then everything would go down except for the HDD lights, etc., on my case. I would even have difficulty restarting the computer. I wasn't able to catch what the errors were on the BSOD, so I turned off the auto shutdown feature, but it hasn't happened again, yet. *Crosses fingers*

EDIT: I'd restart and it would freeze before the BIOS could load up, sometimes it made a series of beeps. Eventually I could get it to start in Safe Mode.
    TRUE STORY||Talisman once bet NASA they could survive re-entry without a spacesuit. On July 19th, 1999, a naked Talisman re-entered the earth's atmosphere, streaking over 14 states and reaching a temperature of 3000 degrees. An embarrassed NASA publically claimed it was a meteor, and still owes Talisman a beer.

Superior Member
    Hoping someone can help. My laptop got rushed by some viruses, so I decided to do a system restore; however it seems that the virus disabled it. I wanted to reinstall my copy of windows; however my cd drive was broken from little brothers playing with it weeks ago. Is my only choice ripping the iso, bringing it to my laptop and using daemon tools and/or getting an illegal copy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS3 Owner Since Jan 1st '07 | Wii Owner Since Dec 06
    Bottom line, no one on the internet cares about you / anyone else. Stop acting like they do.
    http://instantjump.com

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Syugo View Post
    Hoping someone can help. My laptop got rushed by some viruses, so I decided to do a system restore; however it seems that the virus disabled it. I wanted to reinstall my copy of windows; however my cd drive was broken from little brothers playing with it weeks ago. Is my only choice ripping the iso, bringing it to my laptop and using daemon tools and/or getting an illegal copy?
    Well I don't think using an image of the disk through daemon tools would work if you're going to reformat and re-partition the drive since it gets rid of everything on the HD (including the program and disk image). Even through the repair process I believe it backs out of the OS to re-install files. This is just what I think so if what I said is wrong then someone can correct me.

IMO, here are some options you could try out.

1. Get a new optical drive.

2. See if your laptop can boot from USB devices and try using an external cd/dvd rom drive.

3. Install the OS through a USB Flash Drive (again if your laptop allows booting from USB devices).

4. Connect the laptop HD up to a desktop using an IDE converter (or put it in another laptop if you want) and try installing that way. This may not work when you transfer the HD back over but if it's an option go for it.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade727 View Post
    2. See if your laptop can boot from USB devices and try using an external cd/dvd rom drive.

3. Install the OS through a USB Flash Drive (again if your laptop allows booting from USB devices).

My laptop does support boot from USB, but it doesn't seem to recognize my external DVD-rw drive. (I put USB to#1 in boot setup)

It does recognize it through my desktop, but I want to boot run it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bottom line, no one on the internet cares about you / anyone else. Stop acting like they do.

Superior Member
    My laptop does support boot from USB, but it doesn't seem to recognize my external DVD-rw drive. (I put USB to#1 in boot setup)

It does recognize it through my desktop, but I want to boot run it.
    That's odd, I would have figured that it would have recognized it if you can boot from USB devices. Do you have a flash drive that you could try to use and see if your bios allows you to boot from it? If you have a flash drive around you can use this tutorial here or you can search for several others.

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html

Another option if you have a floppy drive is to obtain the 6 disk floppy bootdisk setup at the link below and start your installation from there. This should prepare the drivers and then allow your external to work since it's not recognizing from boot now.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

You're free to try whichever method(s) you seem fit. I wish I had a bit more knowledge to help diagnose the original external drive problem as it is right now, but I believe the floppy method would cure that. The flash drive method seems like the easier route though if you have one handy.

EDIT: Just realized you never specified if you were using XP or Vista, which would be useful as the links I provided were for XP *prays you're using XP to help you solve this*.

Superior Member
    Thanks a lot. I am using Xp, and I'm currently preparing the flash drive. I'll edit to say if it worked or not.

I'm gonna rep you right now, and probably give you all my skill points if it works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    Thanks a lot. I am using Xp, and I'm currently preparing the flash drive. I'll edit to say if it worked or not.

I'm gonna rep you right now, and probably give you all my skill points if it works.
    Thanks for the rep, but don't worry about the skill points, save them for some icons or something .

Let me know if it does work though, if not I'll see if I can come up with something else.

Superior Member
    Oh wow. It's not working. If I reformat the drives do you think the virus will be gone? Also, do you know how I could do that?'

EDIT1: NTLDR is missing... what?

EDIT2: Found source, (well i think I did) I think my little brothers damaged the IDE cord, making the NTLDR is missing message come up. Idk why that didnt happen till now. Geuss I have to buy another DVD drive anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    Oh wow. It's not working. If I reformat the drives do you think the virus will be gone? Also, do you know how I could do that?'

EDIT1: NTLDR is missing... what?

EDIT2: Found source, (well i think I did) I think my little brothers damaged the IDE cord, making the NTLDR is missing message come up. Idk why that didnt happen till now. Geuss I have to buy another DVD drive anyway
    If the NTLDR is missing error comes up then it's usually from trying to boot from a non-bootable source. Did you format the flash drive correctly as a bootable drive?

If everything was done correctly and you're still getting this error then I'm not really sure what to tell you. Hopefully one of the PC guru's chime in and see if they can set you straight. I'd hate for you to have to buy a new optical drive for your laptop or try to exchange the cables.

Superior Member
    If the NTLDR is missing error comes up then it's usually from trying to boot from a non-bootable source. Did you format the flash drive correctly as a bootable drive?

If everything was done correctly and you're still getting this error then I'm not really sure what to tell you. Hopefully one of the PC guru's chime in and see if they can set you straight. I'd hate for you to have to buy a new optical drive for your laptop or try to exchange the cables.
    Your probably gonna laugh, but i got around the NTLDR error by holding my optical drive in place while booting windows. I let go half-way, and im left with a semi-working windows. But at least now I know the reason. I'll edit this if I succeed in reinstalling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    Your probably gonna laugh, but i got around the NTLDR error by holding my optical drive in place while booting windows. I let go half-way, and im left with a semi-working windows. But at least now I know the reason. I'll edit this if I succeed in reinstalling.
    Well I don't know if I'm gonna laugh, but that's certainly an awkward situation D.

Hopefully with holding it in place you can get through the entire installation and get this taken care of.

Superior Member
    Well I don't know if I'm gonna laugh, but that's certainly an awkward situation D.

Hopefully with holding it in place you can get through the entire installation and get this taken care of.
    It worked, lmao! They don't sell internal DVD drives for laptops, so thats what I'm going to have to do if I want to run a boot disk , but for now im just glad I got it up and running
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    It worked, lmao! They don't sell internal DVD drives for laptops, so thats what I'm going to have to do if I want to run a boot disk , but for now im just glad I got it up and running
    Lol, glad it worked though. At least now you know the solution incase you have to do it again.

GuitarrassDeAmor
    They def. do sell those....they have Blu-Ray laptop drives dude. Laptops are equipped with a DVD drive stock.

Elite Guru
    I need help with my computer.

For some reason the sound card is acting up I think?

Well when I plug in my head phone and go to volume control, when I switch to a higher/lower setting I can still hear that little "dunk" sound when I change the setting.

But when I got to youtube or my music library it won't produce any sounds. I can't listen to anything. Music, video I can see but not here :/

Anyone konw how to fix this?

Apprentice
    I need help

I recently updated my pc to XP service pack 3 (used to have SP2), And now I cant apply any themes Including the XP theme! I'm stuck with the windows classic theme and it's really ugly. Every time I try to change It I get something about "Run dll as an app" error.

Can someone please help me, this is getting really annoying!!!
    (bty: I already tryed updating my display drivers)
    PSN ID: xlr8ter
    Help create jobs for my people: http://puto-city.myminicity.com/ind
    Come visit my city: http://puto-city.myminicity.com

Superior Member
    i cant get any windows update to installed after i download them. why!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ASONDA
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8ter View Post
    I need help

I recently updated my pc to XP service pack 3 (used to have SP2), And now I cant apply any themes Including the XP theme! I'm stuck with the windows classic theme and it's really ugly. Every time I try to change It I get something about "Run dll as an app" error.

Can someone please help me, this is getting really annoying!!!
    (bty: I already tryed updating my display drivers)
    Hi, run a SFC check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747 it'll scan through all the most important files in windows and detect corrupt files and replace them with good ones.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ASONDA
    Quote Originally Posted by hoho87 View Post
    i cant get any windows update to installed after i download them. why!
    Which version of windows? and what are the symptoms? any error messages?

Thread Information