Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 818 ... LastLast
    Super Bias Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IPB View Post
    I'm trying to connect a IDE hard drive to my computer using a IDE to SATA adapter. But it's not working, has anybody here had any experience with connectiing IDE hard drives to SATA computers?
    Hmm, I've never used them...but check the documentation to make sure your jumper settings are correct.

Wii # 2775 0778 3886 7989

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I use three IDE to SATA adapters, do the following:
    • Set all HDDs to Master
    • Connect the adapters to the HDDs
    • Attach the large 4 pin power cord to the HDDs, and the small 4 pin power cord (the ones used for the floppy drives) to the adapter
    • Connect the SATA cables to the adapters and the motherboard
    • When booting up make sure to go into the configuration panel and create a RAID setup, of if you're using NVRAID, then you can have each HDD on its own, better to go fo RAID 0 though

That should do it.

Veteran
    Edit: Follow Varsh's directions in his post above.

Dedicated Member
    Thanks for your help, I've got exams on at the moment so Im going to give it another shot after them.
    I don't buy Microsoft products because I don't support companies that want to control rather than contribute.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    So...did it work? Been half a week already, the suspense is killing me. Well OK it isn't but it makes it or the more dramatic.

Dedicated Member
    Patience Varsh, patience. All shall be revealed after I've got my head around this combinatorics.
    I don't buy Microsoft products because I don't support companies that want to control rather than contribute.

BigDDDave
    Hi, im using Windows Vista since two days and i can't make FRAPS to start. I double click on it, the annoying message tells me if i really want to start it -click yes- and then it crashes. On their website it says that its Vista compatible, but i tried every settings in the -properties--compatibility tab- of the .EXE and nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone use Vista AND FRAPS that could help me?

I'm still open to try other gaming capture softwares (ive downloaded a few one and it was all craps).

Thanks

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I just installed Fraps and it worked from the off, don't know what you're having problems, I used it to get screenshots for Dreamfall on Vista 64 Home Premium.

Forum Sage
    Hey all, I'm back again.

I'm having trouble with my ping on Unreal Tournament 2004. Sometimes my ping is fantastic but increasingly, my ping is erratic and often makes playing the game online very frustrating. I have tried altering the netspeed via the ingame options and unchecking a box in the game settings but to no avail.

In desperation, I even portforwarded UT2004 to see if that was the problem but it still remains the same.

Strangely, when I play in some servers where player's nationality is revealed, I'm shown as being from the US when I'm from England. Players have said that because I use AOHell as an ISP, this is the reason. Is there a way to alter my internet settings to stop this from happening? Could this be the reason why my ping is higher than it should be?

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

BigDDDave
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDDDave View Post
    Hi, im using Windows Vista since two days and i can't make FRAPS to start. I double click on it, the annoying message tells me if i really want to start it -click yes- and then it crashes. On their website it says that its Vista compatible, but i tried every settings in the -properties--compatibility tab- of the .EXE and nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone use Vista AND FRAPS that could help me?

I'm still open to try other gaming capture softwares (ive downloaded a few one and it was all craps).

Thanks
    PROBLEM FIXED

By default Fraps installed in c:/program files//fraps ... i noticed and changed it to .../fraps

Now working

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    Hey all, I'm back again.

I'm having trouble with my ping on Unreal Tournament 2004. Sometimes my ping is fantastic but increasingly, my ping is erratic and often makes playing the game online very frustrating. I have tried altering the netspeed via the ingame options and unchecking a box in the game settings but to no avail.

In desperation, I even portforwarded UT2004 to see if that was the problem but it still remains the same.

Strangely, when I play in some servers where player's nationality is revealed, I'm shown as being from the US when I'm from England. Players have said that because I use AOHell as an ISP, this is the reason. Is there a way to alter my internet settings to stop this from happening? Could this be the reason why my ping is higher than it should be?
    Has this problem been a constant ever since you bought the game or did it start occurring recently? Does this happen with other online games?

The root of the problem could be that your IP is registered incorrectly by AOHell, which would also cause the US instead of UK problem. Try going to this site and see where your location is. If it is correct, then that probably isn't the problem. But if you're showing up as a US location, I would call up AOHell (ugh) and ask them what the problem is. Also, make sure that your UT2004 is patched and up to date. I haven't played UT2004 before so I'm not sure how help I'll be.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by softtack View Post
    Has this problem been a constant ever since you bought the game or did it start occurring recently? Does this happen with other online games?

The root of the problem could be that your IP is registered incorrectly by AOHell, which would also cause the US instead of UK problem. Try going to this site and see where your location is. If it is correct, then that probably isn't the problem. But if you're showing up as a US location, I would call up AOHell (ugh) and ask them what the problem is. Also, make sure that your UT2004 is patched and up to date. I haven't played UT2004 before so I'm not sure how help I'll be.

I followed the link and the site recognised that I'm from the UK. My UT2004 is running the latest patch. Maybe it's an error with the server in UT2004 or an option that can be modified on the server itself. Hmmm...

Ok. Another week, another dilemma.

Earlier on, I opened an application which caused my computer to freeze. It locked up so I had to manually reset it by the button on the computer, not by Start>Shutdown.

When I restarted my computer after the freeze, it managed to get to the Windows XP logo but the loading bar at the bottom kept on moving from left to right. I left this running for at least an hour and it didn't progress at all.

So I rebooted and tried to run the computer in safe mode but as the drivers etc were loading (displayed on the screen), safe mode once again hung at something called 'mup.sys'. This happened on every safe mode reboot (networked safe mode also).

The recovery console didn't shed any light on the matter. Trying to fix it resulted in a message telling me that it was unable to do so.

I decided to turn the computer off and watch the England match and after around twenty minutes later, the computer loaded up just fine.

I have since looked in the Event Viewer and cannot find any anomalies. Resetting the computer now is perfectly OK. I just want to know what I can do if this scenario happens again.

Googling the mup.sys file resulted in lots of troubleshooting sites so I'm sure this is quite a common occurrence. However, nobody seems to have a definitive solution to the problem.

Any ideas here?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The problem with this is actually quite common, think back to when it first started or the most recent thing that you may have installed, if you've changed any hardware or installed new software then try removing the software, and if it's hardware, remove it or replace it. It is a strange one but generally it starts from a poor installation.

If you can go into the command prompt and type CHKDSK, it will start to check your entire HDD for errors (indexes, file records, etc.). If you get any bad sectors then try repairing the bad blocks. If it comes up fine try removing the software that you last installed before all this happened. The worst case scenario is to backup all your work and reformat (if you don't have any space then I'll give you up to 5GB webspace to transfer to), then reinstall SP2. Sometimes drivers can cause this too.

Copying the MUP.SYS from the recovery console mostly doesn't work, generally it's the first thing you would do, but in my experience it doesn't work one jot, I actually just reformatted when that occurred to me, but then I'm the impatient one and want things running swimmingly.

As for UT, install PowerTools for XP and check the startup programs, I would not be surprised if there are some services running in the background without you knowing (Real Media for instance, that loves bandwidth), another idea is to renew your IP with your router, and if you have a firewall on the PC still running, then remove it for good, because if I remember right, you have a router now. ^^;

If all else fails, try hard resetting the router to manufacturer's defaults, for some odd reason that helped me a few times when I wasn't too sure how to configure the router properly, I don't get that problem now. Final thing to keep in mind is to stop everything to do with internet streaming, so Bittorrent, Video streaming, general downloads, uploads, FTP, HTTP, etc., etc.. If push comes to shove, try reinstalling the game...

Sorry for taking so long on getting back to you, I haven't checked the topic in a while.

Forum Elder
    I got a complaint of sorts.

I think my PC might be missing a Codec for Videos because I try playing a movie (recent one being The Hitcher) on Real Player nothing appears and only the sound is heard and trying to convert movies to MP4 format is a dead end as well due to the converter saying that the video has no "Video Stream"

anyone know how to fix this?

I'll rep any who can help me

Master Sage

Get the K-Lite codec pack from Here. Im sure installing it will end all of your codec problems.

edit: reading your post more carefully, i've figured out that it might just be a audio file, but install the codec pack and post back.

Forum Sage
    My computer woes just keep on continuing...

Earlier on, the area in which I live in suffered a power outage. My computer was on at the time and after the power came back on, I booted it up and noticed that it was taking longer than usual.

After about a minute, I got the message 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device'.

Going through the BIOS, I stumbled across my harddrive which appeared as a vague 'harddrive' as opposed to specific name that usually is displayed.

Being unable to progress any further from the screen, I gave up for an hour or so. When rebooting the computer again, it started up as normal! How annoying.

I've read that the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message usually pops up when an IDE cable is damaged or jumpers have managed to fall out of place. After checking these things, I can safely say that nothing is out of the ordinary.

Thankfully this computer is still under warranty and I shall be taking it for a check-up regardless of it running fine in the meantime. Too many things have been going wrong as of late.

Any ideas?

Elite Member
    Odd question, but after I boot up my PC it can't reconnect to the network if it drops- I have to restart the PC. It's quite annoying if the router has to be reset or something, and it means I have to restart the PC.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Apprentice

If the BIOS is losing settings then it could (and hopefully will be) simply be a problem with the battery on the motherboard. If you remove this it will reset your BIOS. I'm thinking that maybe the power outage had a similar effect.

If its under warranty the best thing to do is get it in for a check up.

Hope everythings ok.
    Games, Games, Games. Looking for a good-time.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    My computer woes just keep on continuing...

Earlier on, the area in which I live in suffered a power outage. My computer was on at the time and after the power came back on, I booted it up and noticed that it was taking longer than usual.

After about a minute, I got the message 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device'.

Going through the BIOS, I stumbled across my harddrive which appeared as a vague 'harddrive' as opposed to specific name that usually is displayed.

Being unable to progress any further from the screen, I gave up for an hour or so. When rebooting the computer again, it started up as normal! How annoying.

I've read that the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message usually pops up when an IDE cable is damaged or jumpers have managed to fall out of place. After checking these things, I can safely say that nothing is out of the ordinary.

Thankfully this computer is still under warranty and I shall be taking it for a check-up regardless of it running fine in the meantime. Too many things have been going wrong as of late.

Any ideas?
    That's common after a power cut, my only advise to this is to have a power supply that cuts out power fully when power cuts happen as it can damage components (another reason to not skimp out on a PSU. ), any decent PSU has this, in fact all do over 50 anyway. Or you can get an UPS (I'm thinking of getting one of these for this very reason, even with an expensive PSU). It'll be fine, don't worry. ^^;

How's the PC from before though? Did anything of what I mentioned work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikleran View Post
    Odd question, but after I boot up my PC it can't reconnect to the network if it drops- I have to restart the PC. It's quite annoying if the router has to be reset or something, and it means I have to restart the PC.

Any ideas what the problem is?
    If your network drops (generally this is a router problem) then instead of rebooting the computer do this:
    • Run --> cmd
    • c:\[blah]>ipconfig /release
    • c:\[blah]>ipconfig /renew

That should do it
    Quote Originally Posted by KevLFC View Post
    If the BIOS is losing settings then it could (and hopefully will be) simply be a problem with the battery on the motherboard. If you remove this it will reset your BIOS. I'm thinking that maybe the power outage had a similar effect.

If its under warranty the best thing to do is get it in for a check up.

Hope everythings ok.
    I used to remove that battery to reset the BIOS till I found out that just going into the BIOS, hitting F10 to reset everything did the same thing. It's only worth removing the backup battery if you can't remember your BIOS password.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    That's common after a power cut, my only advise to this is to have a power supply that cuts out power fully when power cuts happen as it can damage components (another reason to not skimp out on a PSU. ), any decent PSU has this, in fact all do over 50 anyway. Or you can get an UPS (I'm thinking of getting one of these for this very reason, even with an expensive PSU). It'll be fine, don't worry. ^^;

How's the PC from before though? Did anything of what I mentioned work?

If your network drops (generally this is a router problem) then instead of rebooting the computer do this:
    • Run --> cmd
    • c:\[blah]>ipconfig /release
    • c:\[blah]>ipconfig /renew
    That should do it

I used to remove that battery to reset the BIOS till I found out that just going into the BIOS, hitting F10 to reset everything did the same thing. It's only worth removing the backup battery if you can't remember your BIOS password.
    Thanks for the suggestions Varsh but, unfortunately, ignoring a problem only makes it come back ten times worse in my experience. Just this afternoon my computer froze on me during a routine anti-viral scan (it has never done that before) and I had to turn it off manually as opposed to through the start menu.

Upon booting up the computer, I was once again prevented from starting up the computer. Attepting to try to start the computer in safe mode brought up the mup.sys problem. After rebooting several times, I eventually received a rather nasty 'disc read error, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart' message. That appeared as well as the other prompt that I talked about in the previous post.

Looks like my computer is checking into a PC repair shop tomorrow. It also looks like I'm going to miss the SOTW competition due to this.

I suppose I should be thankful for the fact that even men are less problematic than my computer.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Looks like my computer is checking into a PC repair shop tomorrow. It also looks like I'm going to miss the SOTW competition due to this.
    Seems that way, at least you gave it a try, what's the warranty time remaining on the computer (if there was any)? *hugs* You'll get the computer back soon I'm sure, just make sure to take off any stuff you don't want them seeing.
    I suppose I should be thankful for the fact that even men are less problematic than my computer.
    I'm not sure whether to take that as an insult or a compliment...

HELP! Blue Rectangles

Hey guys, i tried to google my problem and got nowhere, any help in solving this would be greatly appritiated.
    When i now play counter strike source, after about 5 mins the whole screen gets covered in tiny blue rectangles built up like bricks accross the screen, ive updated my drivers and this did nothing, i first thought it was just the game, but then this happened to me in windows too!
    Here is a screenshot of what happens.

Link http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2329/messupjx0.jpg

Elite Member
    What graphics card are you using?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen Rush View Post
    Hey guys, i tried to google my problem and got nowhere, any help in solving this would be greatly appritiated.
    When i now play counter strike source, after about 5 mins the whole screen gets covered in tiny blue rectangles built up like bricks accross the screen, ive updated my drivers and this did nothing, i first thought it was just the game, but then this happened to me in windows too!
    Here is a screenshot of what happens.

Link http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2329/messupjx0.jpg
    That happened to me sometime ago, my gfx card died after these artifacts showing up. But im not sure if thats the case with you. Did this happen after a power cut or something?

Elite Member
    It happened to me too. My card died aswell, i just want to know what temp it is running at, and i cant tell him how to check without knowing the make
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information