Page 1 of 28 111 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PC Troubleshooting/Advice Thread - Have a problem with your PC? Ask here!

If you have a problem with your pc whether it be viruses or bugs ask here!
    or even if you are looking for advice on the graphics card that will best suit your needs, ask here!

Lately my windows has been taking ALOT longer to start-up, what do you think may be the reasons? There is no virus (that I know of) on my computer.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 07-19-2012 at 19:53.

Dedicated Member
    Might have to defrag the hard drive and goto msconfig to clean out all the unwanted crap that starts up with your comp.

PSN ID: Logo

Master Sage
    Are there any other ways I can boost the performance of my PC? (currently 1.5 gb of RAM)

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Are there any other ways I can boost the performance of my PC? (currently 1.5 gb of RAM)
    back everything up. fresh windows install allways works.

i have a problem whit some adware, i have ran 3 spyware scanners and not one of them picked it up (Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE And windows Defender) i find the files that run and delet them. but every 10-20 mins they come back, tried in safe mode also. one is running right now but i blocked it from using the net. the proccess is called IDDE.TMP.EXE There are about 3 variaions of this all staring whit IDD. there allways in the Windows/Temp Folder. i have tried system restore but that has failed to put it back to the way it was. i tried removing the files in safe mode and run scans but no luck. i get a IE pop-up window saying about virus scanner as detected a # of viruses. download such and such.
    Heres a screenshot of the files that are the probelm. i have highlighted them to show you.

its been annoying me since i got it yesterday. Please please help
    Gametag : Law44uk

Master Poster
    Do you work with Windows XP? I used this program called XPLite to get rid of programs that I never use like moviemaker and some more.

If you use the default setting for ‘Windows Start’ you might want to switch back to the classic look.

When you go to your configuration screen and look at system  advanced settings I think you’ll be able to tweak some visual settings you might want to play around with a little.

Quote Originally Posted by law44uk View Post
    i have a problem whit some adware, i have ran 3 spyware scanners and not one of them picked it up (Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE And windows Defender) i find the files that run and delet them. but every 10-20 mins they come back, tried in safe mode also. one is running right now but i blocked it from using the net. the proccess is called IDDE.TMP.EXE There are about 3 variaions of this all staring whit IDD. there allways in the Windows/Temp Folder. i have tried system restore but that has failed to put it back to the way it was. i tried removing the files in safe mode and run scans but no luck. i get a IE pop-up window saying about virus scanner as detected a # of viruses. download such and such.
    Heres a screenshot of the files that are the probelm. i have highlighted them to show you.

I’m using Spybot and adaware also but they don’t get rid of everything even when used combined. Maybe you should try Ewido. I have been using it for a while and it works great for me. You can download this program here: http://www.ewido.net/en/
    The trial version will eventually turn into a free version.

Now, for my question. I’m considering buying a bigger TFT monitor screen most likely a 19 inch one since I have a 15 inch at the moment. Does anybody have any experience with wide screen or know some things I should pay attention too. Your help will be much appreciated.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by law44uk View Post
    back everything up. fresh windows install allways works.

I think you need to make update all your scanner programs
    did you try to do that ?
    he was obliged to depart. He put his burial clothes in his wallet; but when he came to bid his wife and children adieu, their grief surpassed description. They could not reconcile their minds to the separation, but resolved to go and die with him. When,however, (what will happen to thee?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Sage
    If you are looking for a good monitor I can show you the ropes!
    What is the price range that you are shopping in?

This is THE BEST monitor around:Link (has a 2560x1600 resolution!)
    or
    If you are looking for something affordable consider this: Link ($487.95)or Link ($191.20)

Master Poster
    The first two, in my dreams. Lol

Price range should be between 150 and 250 Euro. Don't know how much in dollars that is.

The one I like for an affordable price is this one from HP. On the Dutch site it says to be 220 Euros.

Master Sage
    This monitor is about 267 euros
    Link
    I think that is a good price...and its a 20.1 inch screen.

Highlights
    • Display sharp and brilliant images with 1680x1050 Pixels resolution
    • Wide viewing angle of 178º — horizontal and vertical
    • 800:1 contrast ratio and 16 millisecond typical response time for distortion-free, sharp images
    • 4 USB 2.0 high speed ports for connecting peripheral devices
    • Ideal for multi-tasker, high end graphic designer, content creation user, financial sector and gamers
    • Supported by Dell™ Technical Support

Apprentice
    WTF "800:1 contrast ratio and 16 millisecond typical response time for distortion-free, sharp images"
    16 milliseconds talk about LAG
    Link
    I think that is a good price...and its a 20.1 inch screen.[/list]
    Intel Q6600@3.8Ghz.Artic Freezer Pro 7 H/S,P5KC mobo,Dominator 8 Gig DDR2 8500,2 x Sapphire ATI 4890 GDDR5 1Gigin XFIRE,Asus DX2 Sound card, X7 Mouse WK Gaming Pad,Fatality headset. 320Gig+250Gig+500Gig SATA2.24"lcd 1080p ws 2ms.Sharp Aquos 42"LCD full 1080p,Sony32",PS3,2X Xbox360, 2xWii,2xPS2, 4xNDSi/R4DS,Sony theater 5:1 surround.SKY HD Multiroom. and Cable 20 Meg internet speed.

Snow_Spartan
    Hi,

my pc for some reason has locked my Windows task manager button when i press CTRL ALT DEL any ideas?. i just switched my PC on a couple of days ago and this big red X was in my taskbar shown here in this screen shot

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...att/PCDesk.jpg

so when i press CTRL ALT DEL i just get the option to click task manager put its in grey text so i can't click it if that makes sense

i ran my SPYBOT Destroyer thing and i cleared some Spyware off my comp but the red circle X thing is still there

i also sometimes get messages like this...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...tt/PCDesk2.jpg

any ideas about this... yes i am a PC noob and yes i have a ****ty Windows 2000 PC :P

thanks

Matt

Superior Member
    Is there any way to customize the color scheme of my computer (besides the stupid olive green and silver) without changing the style to classic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow_Spartan View Post
    Hi,

my pc for some reason has locked my Windows task manager button when i press CTRL ALT DEL any ideas?. i just switched my PC on a couple of days ago and this big red X was in my taskbar shown here in this screen shot

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...att/PCDesk.jpg

so when i press CTRL ALT DEL i just get the option to click task manager put its in grey text so i can't click it if that makes sense

i ran my SPYBOT Destroyer thing and i cleared some Spyware off my comp but the red circle X thing is still there

i also sometimes get messages like this...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...tt/PCDesk2.jpg

any ideas about this... yes i am a PC noob and yes i have a ****ty Windows 2000 PC :P

thanks

Matt
    Do you mean that you can't open Task Manager to get rid of the annoying program in the corner?

If that's the case, then first try downloading and running Ad-aware, which you can get here: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-200...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Oops, I accidentally double posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage

Dedicated Member
    If you're looking for cheap and good monitors, goto newegg.com
    They have incredible prices. You can find Widescreen 19" LCD monitors for $250. Great stuff.

Master Poster
    Link
    I think that is a good price...and its a 20.1 inch screen.[/list]
    Nice find Firefox but when I look up the same monitor on the Dutch Dell site it comes up with a price of 600 Euro. How the 'insert bad word' did that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    If you're looking for cheap and good monitors, goto newegg.com
    They have incredible prices. You can find Widescreen 19" LCD monitors for $250. Great stuff.
    Thanks for the help guys! I have found a few decent monitors but I’ll check in on Newegg if they have anything I like. The only thing that worries me that I'll have to check on is if my videocard will work with widescreen resolutions. It's not one of the newest around so I might need to upgrade that as well.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Nice find Firefox but when I look up the same monitor on the Dutch Dell site it comes up with a price of 600 Euro. How the 'insert bad word' did that happen.

Thanks for the help guys! I have found a few decent monitors but I’ll check in on Newegg if they have anything I like. The only thing that worries me that I'll have to check on is if my videocard will work with widescreen resolutions. It's not one of the newest around so I might need to upgrade that as well.
    Yea, goodluck with that. Be sure if you're going to order an LCD monitor bigger than 17" inches to have a DVI cable. VGA cables don't allow for easy reading of text on LCD. Check to make sure your videocard now has DVI, or the videocard you might be interested in buying.

Master Poster
    After some thought, I'm probably going to just upgrade my PC a little bit. New motherboard, Video card, processor. Nothing expensive but better for an affordable price. Does DVI make a big different because else I was thinking about buying a motherboard with video card on it including VGA onboard. It's a lot cheaper that way so I can get a new processor to go with that. I'm currently viewing Asrock.nl and Tweakers.net for specs and details but anymore ideas or good sites worth reviewing are always welcome.

Master Sage
    Tobian...can't you just order the monitor from the Us site? or Canadian site (I think it will be cheaper than US)? Even with shipping costs it's still cheaper.

Master Poster
    Tobian...can't you just order the monitor from the Us site? or Canadian site (I think it will be cheaper than US)? Even with shipping costs it's still cheaper.
    I have thought about doing just that. I'm just going over some reviews to decide which monitor to pick. Still funny the price differents though.

Hello, I have a router question... I know very little about routers, as I have only access to Dial-up internet at the moment... But in a week or so, I will be moving to my apartment, and will have Highspeed Internet, and want a router. Anyway, Here's my question:

I was told to buy a: WRT54GL Router, which is all fine and dandy... Just I need to know what else I need for it.. I want to be able to hook up my: PS2, Computer, and soon to be PS3. What I need to know, is how the hookup of a wireless router actually goes.... PC connects to.... PS2 Connects to..... PS3 Connects to.... Main Internet Source Connects to...... etc, and so on.. I've read stuff about bridges, are they extra, do they come with the router? Hmm... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    "Where knowledge ends, religion begins."

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper_Messiah View Post
    Hello, I have a router question... I know very little about routers, as I have only access to Dial-up internet at the moment... But in a week or so, I will be moving to my apartment, and will have Highspeed Internet, and want a router. Anyway, Here's my question:

I was told to buy a: WRT54GL Router, which is all fine and dandy... Just I need to know what else I need for it.. I want to be able to hook up my: PS2, Computer, and soon to be PS3. What I need to know, is how the hookup of a wireless router actually goes.... PC connects to.... PS2 Connects to..... PS3 Connects to.... Main Internet Source Connects to...... etc, and so on.. I've read stuff about bridges, are they extra, do they come with the router? Hmm... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Whoever told you to purchase the Linksys WRT54GL and not the WRT54G is a very smart person. The GL is more stable and customizable because it has a linux OS.

Before you hook up you're internet connection to your router, you might want to check and make sure you're internet connection works first. You can do this by connecting your modem directly to your PC.

Ok, well here's how the connections are going to break down. You're probably going to have a modem of some sort, whether DSL or Cable. On the back of the modem is an Ethernet cable which you connect to the WAN slot of your Linksys router. The WAN slot is slightly seperated from the other four LAN slots. This brings the internet connection to the router.

At this point, you can connect your PS2, PS3, Computer via an Ethernet cable to the LAN slots of the Linksys router. Now your PS2, PS3, and Computer will have internet. If you'd like wireless internet for your Computer, first you'd have to connect your computer with a wired connection (ethernet), and then open up internet explorer/firefox to the address 192.168.1.1 --- This will prompt you for a username/password, which I believe comes as admin/admin. You're now at your routers Web User Interface. Here you can setup you're wireless connections and wireless securities.

Thank you muchly, for the help. But, Do I need a Bridge, to be able to hook up my PS2, without having to an Uber-Long Ethernet Cord, for when I transport my PS2 around the apartment? I will most likely have the router close to my PC, but my PS2 won't always be right next to my computer.

Dedicated Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by bridge. There might be a wireless adapter for the PS2 that you could buy.

Well to use Wireless Router, don't you need something plugged into the things that are going to communicate to the router? ie. PC, PS2.

The PS2 Network Adapter comes only has a Ethernet Plug on the back... So One would need a Wireless adapter to plug into it, correct, so that's another $80 on top of my router? >.<

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leper_Messiah View Post
    Well to use Wireless Router, don't you need something plugged into the things that are going to communicate to the router? ie. PC, PS2.

The PS2 Network Adapter comes only has a Ethernet Plug on the back... So One would need a Wireless adapter to plug into it, correct, so that's another $80 on top of my router? >.<
    Yup. Same with a PC if you'd like it to go wireless too

Thread Information