Latest PSU headlines:

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2232 ... LastLast

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    Alien Breed Trilogy 8/10

I picked up the trilogy for about $7.50 on sale in PSN. The games have a 3/4 overhead isometric perspective and are arcade twin stick (almost) shooters. I say almost twin stick shooters, because in many twin stick shooters, you use your left analog stick to move and your right to fire ... in these games you use your left stick to move and your right to aim but must push the bottom shoulder button to shoot. The game has just enough old school in it and just enough modern touches in it to make it appealing and enjoyable.

Old School Aspects ... Save points which must be physically activated for the most part and are sparingly provided. Enemies are numerous, cause a great deal of damage, are fast, 7 know exactly where you are and head directly for you. Controls ... the controls are set up to work in a way that force you to be on your toes while at the same time being disadvantaged. The twin stick shooting with the shoulder button is an example, another is you can not run and aim your gun at the same time because you have to pull your thumb off the aim button to press the run button. Comic strip cut scenes.

Modern Aspects ... Like playing an old school game but with modern detailed graphics. Voice acting over the comic strip picture / text cut scenes (Although its terrible). Weapon upgrade system. Detailed environments with nice lighting effects and mini mini cut scenes.

If you like top down twin stick shooters, you can't go wrong with this package. The atmosphere is the game is spot on ... you feel like you are on a spaceship and you are afraid of the aliens because they can pop out of the floors and walls, they are fast, and they are vicious too. Along the way you will find much needed health packs, money, weapons, and ammunition either on the floor or on dead human corpses. The game is filled with tension because all of your needed supplies are in short order. I beat the 1st in the trilogy, Alien Breed Impact, never having enough cash to upgrade any of my weapons or items because I always needed it to buy health packs and ammo. I am now playing the 2nd game in the trilogy and making a concerted effort not to waste any health packs, to use my pea shooter, which has unlimited ammo, on small enemies and save my bigger guns with limited ammo for the bigger enemies.

The trilogy is really a great marriage of old and new with just enough modern touches to keep you going and just enough old school to make you feel a great sense of accomplishment with each victory.
    I've been playing video games since the days of Pong and it looks like I'll be playin' 'em 'till the day I'm gone!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    BioShock: Infinite, 8.4/10. Really enjoying it! Can be challenging sometimes too

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPod touch met behulp van Tapatalk

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST

Brothers 9/10

Brothers is an adventure game where you control two brothers, each with one analog stick at the same time. This interesting mechanic works flawlessly although your brain will have to get used to it and tripping up is all part of the enjoyment & challenge. The graphics are beautiful and you can sit down on benches in the game to take in the awesome views. As you journey through the game, part of the fun is seeing how each brother reacts differently to things or people around you. There is no speech or text but a story is told better than in most games with speech & text. If you like Journey, check this one out, I think it is much better than it.
    Last edited by RetroBlast; 03-01-2014 at 22:45.
    I've been playing video games since the days of Pong and it looks like I'll be playin' 'em 'till the day I'm gone!

Currently I'm playing Dark Souls and so far 10/10 , previously I was playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and for me was 9/10 Awesome engine, but too easy to get overpowered!

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Brothers: Tale of two sons - 8/10.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

PSU Live Streamer
    Just stopped playing Thief due to boredom - 6/10
    Previous to that was Infamous2 - 8.5/10
    Just started South Park - too soon to tell

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Just finished tomb raider I give it a 9 out of 10. This game was fast paced and story was engaging. The acting by was first class.

tapatalk post

Apprentice

Finished my first run of South Park Stick of Truth recently. Loved it! Was like playing the show. It had a few goofs so I can't score it perfectly such as some screen tearing here and there and a few frame rate slowdown to chugging a few times but nothing real serious. The game was absolutely faithful to the show, so I give it highest marsk minus one for some small technical glitches. 9/10

It should be noted that I am a HUGE SP series fan and thus will be very biased

Apprentice
    FF Lighting Retruns

I have only played the demo. I liked the graphics and the music, but I hated the time thingy.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraein View Post
    FF Lighting Retruns

I have only played the demo. I liked the graphics and the music, but I hated the time thingy.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    It is final fantasy. .... they mastered the time thingy lol

tapatalk post

The Walking Dead season 1: 8/10!
    It would have been higher had I not played The Last of Us first! That game really set the bar high! Although I still shed a tear at the end of TWD
    Starting Season 2 ep 2 soon. Glad to see that season 2 doesn't have all of the lagging issues that 1 did. I'm gonna be sad when I've finished and have to wait months for the next episode

PSN ID
    CaptainWoopy
    Just finished The Last of Us last week. 10/10 for me. Had a blast.
    I'm kind of mad at myself for finishing that game just now, as I bought it on launch day.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Literally just finished Second Son...yet to do the evil run through. Enjoyed the game very much..although I thought the concrete powers were $#@! quite honestly...graphics were lovely throughout...color me impressed. This game marks the start of next gen graphics. Solid 8/10 for me.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Literally just finished Second Son...yet to do the evil run through. Enjoyed the game very much..although I thought the concrete powers were $#@! quite honestly...graphics were lovely throughout...color me impressed. This game marks the start of next gen graphics. Solid 8/10 for me.
    You should play it as evil too, IMO. Yeah, the concrete power was kind of boring compared to the others. Maybe that's why you get it after finishing the game (the final fight). My favourite powers was neon and video.

El Presidente
    Spec Ops The Line. 8/10

I'd like to see more games do what this game has done. Pretty basic combat but the story was thought provoking and doesn't glorify violence like some many other shooters. You aren't the good guy and that is very different feeling.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWoopy View Post
    Just finished The Last of Us last week. 10/10 for me. Had a blast.
    I'm kind of mad at myself for finishing that game just now, as I bought it on launch day.
    'Better late than never ' never rang more true!

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    6/10 Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition on PS4.

While the game is relatively attractive for a fighter and doesn't feel like yet another DOA retread, it isn't the best fighter I've ever played. I found it very jumpy with overly finicky controls, and I can't helping thinking a more 3D arena might have worked better or at least given more variety. Tekken is my go to fighter and I'm not a big fan of the three different attack button approach this game took. I literally had to give up on the tutorial out of frustration with the advanced combos because I couldn't get joystick inputs consistently timed the way the game demanded. I also did most of the game without using advanced combos since I couldn't reliably get them to work, I never felt like I was in real control. I never did find out how the wagering system worked, I mostly just ignored it and then got back to beating the bad guy up just with 33% more health. I also spent a lot of time jumping when I didn't want to, or doing special attacks at the wrong time or direction. The story is interesting, but feels like a rather poor retread of the much better Justice Lords storyline from the animated show, which is only furthered by the fact it sounds like they got the voice actors from those shows to work on the game. I'd rather have had the Justice Lord's character designs than some of the ones this game resulted in. The game at least comes up with an excuse to explain why Batman can punch Superman in the face and not simply get destroyed, which is a plus, even if it is pretty ridiculous (though very similar to a concept in the comic series The Boys). Unfortunately for all practical purposes it felt like most of the characters ended up feeling much the same, there's basically 3 or 4 types of fighters big slow, small fast, floating/flying and mid range, the rest is mostly cosmetic. Story mode controls who you play, who you fight, and refuses to progress unless the correct character wins that fight. There's nothing remotely non-linear about about the story. I was out of time and to bored to spend any time doing the other modes so I suspect I missed a large portion of the game, but even then the special missions where probably specific fights with requirements to meet specific combat tasks.

I'll be interested to see what their first built for the modern generation fighter ends up looking like, but I'd much rather have a more Tekken style of fighter.

Dedicated Member
    Strider PS4: 9.5/10

Graphics 10 - It's beautiful, it would draw lines in an arcade today
    Sound 10 - It's equally great audio. I can't call it all 'music' but FX and trax are wonderful
    Gameplay 9 - Control of the blade is great, stars is great, lots of options to master.
    Difficulty 8 - Normal is a good hard. Hard is a bit un fun. Normal was quite fun, but easy to win, just not easy to find all things.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

PSN ID
    Burgiccuda
    Remember Me - B-

The combo system was pretty innovative and fun to play around with, but the control scheme (Capcom, ugh), bland storyline, and the repetitive feeling to most chapters were kind of a drag. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to seek this title out, but it was nice to see it available on Playstation Plus last month.
    All your bacon are belong to me.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I loved the combo system in Remember Me. Very innovative.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I thought the combo system was made to complex and didn't work very well.

tapatalk post

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    It was a bit confusing at first. I mostly liked how it had the cool down, power, health, and chain attributes. Very original imo.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

23. Likes Burgiccuda likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Saints Row the Third - 9/10

This is my first game in the saints row series and honestly, it was tons of fun. An exciting break from the reality driven open world games like gta. Gta should take note of a few of the things, like gun upgrades, not accessories, and the mother****ing VTOL warship. I spent hours flying that thing around causing a ruckus.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4) - 7.5/10
    Let me get the bad out of the way first:
    * HORRIBLE cringe worthy writing
    * Not a SINGLE character worth caring for (including Lara)
    * Predictable plot (I figured it out before half way and that made it all the 'surprises' lose any impact they would have had)
    * Tried way to hard to make us feel for the survivor group with lack luster execution

The good
    * Set the new standard for gameplay in adventure games. Naughty Dog needs to learn from this for their next Uncharted, although TLOU already does some of these things
    * Graphics I guess. Prettiest hair I've ever seen, period
    * Production quality, its clear devs put love and effort into this and I appreciate that
    Last edited by Itachi; 06-01-2014 at 05:57.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Wolfenstein: New order 10/10

Chuffing awesome, been a while since I played an FPS as fun as this and one that doesn't take itself serious and doesn't have to go for realism as much as possible.

If you desire you can go all Rambo and take on everyone single handed by "overgarging" your health or you can be boring and go quiet and take enemies out by stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4) - 7.5/10
    Let me get the bad out of the way first:
    * HORRIBLE cringe worthy writing
    * Not a SINGLE character worth caring for (including Lara)
    * Predictable plot (I figured it out before half way and that made it all the 'surprises' lose any impact they would have had)
    * Tried way to hard to make us feel for the survivor group with lack luster execution

The good
    * Set the new standard for adventure games. Naughty Dog needs to learn from this for their next Uncharted, although TLOU already does some of these things
    * Graphics I guess. Prettiest hair I've ever seen, period
    * Production quality, its clear devs put love and effort into this and I appreciate that
    WOW! you actually liked all the quick time events.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-01-2014 at 01:05. Reason: screenshots link

Thread Information