Latest PSU headlines:

chimmy13

I've got a problem with PS3 Move, maybe someone can help me?

So at my house i have a media closet down the hall from the tv we use so that we dont have to see anything but the tv on the wall. all the wiring for everything is ran through the attic. the problem i am having is getting the camera to work from so far away. we have tried many things already including, cutting the wire and extending it with cat5(didnt work), we reconnected all wiring and the camera still works, next we tried a usb extender with an amplifier but it didnt end with a usb male/female so we had to get a connector and that didnt work, then we tried a usb line extension that uses cat5(ethernet)wire in the middle of 2 usb connectors(what happened with this is the cameras red light would come on and the ps3 would say usb camera and show a black square for about 2 seconds then it would disappear), so what i am asking for is a solution that someone else has done because i cant be the only person with this problem. Worst of all we called sony and they said we couldnt do anything.Bullsh**.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Saying it goes through attic doesn't give one much idea of the actual distances. The general maximum distance for full speed USB 2.0 is 5 meters. You can extend this further with good powered USB Hub. This is the general idea of the line with amplifier, but that still needs to be limited to 5 meters.

Make sure there's no more than 5M between PS3 and Hub and no more than 5M between Hub and the camera (not the camera cable end, but the camera.)

Do NOT try using CAT5 w/ USB that's wasting money and potentially limiting the signal quality (and distance) that the camera USB cable can go - putting connecting this wiring you introduce a significant amount of noise and signal reflection. If you cut this actual cable, you might as well go buy another PS Eye now.

If you had cut the tail off the PS Eye camera to do the cat 5 extension before you tried the powered USB extender, it still may be a viable solution, just need to buy a new PS Eye.

Another option, put the PS3 in the same room, fish the USB cable through the wall to avoid unsightly cables. Hide it in a decorative enclosure Put a low speed fan (say 4-5" fan) inside w/ airflow out of enclosure and slots to allow return airflow to ensure it doesn't get too hot.

Thread Information