View Poll Results: Are You Buying A 3DS?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I'm buying Mine At Lauch.

16 23.88%
  • It Looks Great But I'm Waiting To See More Games.

29 43.28%
  • No I don't Want One.

22 32.84%
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

UnchainBlades ReXX

New RPG for 3DS (and PSP) is being jointly developed by staff that worked on Grandia, Lunar and the Shining series. Coined a "know your true strength" RPG, it's a 3D dungeon RPG with four main characters and a recruitment system that allows you to recruit monsters. Up to 16 monsters can be added to your team allowing for a total of 20 characters for a group. Links with scans and details below:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=150379

- coming from Furyu
    - 3DS and PSP
    - design work from 14 character designers, including Shining series' Pako, Idolmasters Toshiyuki Kubooka and Dream Club's Haruyuki Morisawa
    - theme song is from Nobuo Uematsu
    - "ultimate 3D dungeon RPG"
    - turn-based command battle system
    - fight alongside 20 partner characters via the game's "Unchain System"
    - monsters join your party as "Followers"
    - "An RPG Where You Know True Power"
    - June 23rd
    - ₯6,090
    - currently developed 65%

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/15...or-3dspsp-rpg/

- Takahashi Hino is scenario designer
    - Toshio Akashi is director
    - each character is designed by a different artist
    - *******!! artist Kazushi Hagiwara created Crunea
    - Crunea is a goddess who oversees the entire world
    - Shinichiro Otsuka (Summon Night) created Hector, a golem prince
    - Lunar artist Toshiyuki Kubooka drew the nine-tailed Niko
    - Manga artist Haruyuki Morisawa created the female lead character, phoenix princess Teana
    - the lead male Fang, the strongest dragon king is the work of Pako
    - up to 16 monsters an follow your party
    - 4-man party

Courtesy of Adriasang

- takes place in a world populated exclusively by monsters
    - these monsters originally start out as humans, but then evolve into their true forms
    - the main character Fang, young king of the Dragon race, was once the most powerful monster in the world
    - this power angered Goddess Kryunia, who transformed him into a human to lock away his powers
    - Fang's new companions are still in their human forms
    - Lapis can transform people into stone when they look at her
    - Tiana, is the princess of the phoenixes
    - Silvy is a member of the "death eyes" race
    - this looks similar to a Colossus from Shadow of the Colossus
    - fight your way to the bottom of the dungeon, past various monsters and tricks
    - the bottom floor holds a test from the goddess in order to get your powers back
    - the "Unchain System" allows up to 20 characters to take part in battle at the same time
    - each of your 4 party members can acquire five monsters who will become their "Followers"
    - monsters participate in battle and take part in special link attacks
    - 3DS version features 3D dungeons
    - preorder for a bonus premium DVD with character voices, artwork, an original voice drama and a promotional video
    Last edited by Avrum; 02-16-2011 at 17:03. Reason: More Details Added

Elite Member

Impressions from UK event:
    http://www.officialnintendomagazine....-nintendo-3ds/

Going to the 3DS event was a bit like going to see a remake of your favourite film. Are they going to butcher that well-loved classic? Will the new effects and features ruin your fun and taint your opinion? I went with a slight feeling of dread. I'd seen the first incarnations of the 3D TVs in Bangkok and they were rubbish, completely unwatchable. I was worried that Nintendo had just jumped on the back of the new 3D fad.

I should have known better. When in the past seven years has Nintendo jumped on someone else's bandwagon? The company innovated with the Wii and now it has taken it to the next level.

The 3DS is a brilliant wee piece of tech. I have terrible depth perception in 2D games which means I have many unsuccessful and expletive filled gaming sessions, particularly when playing platform games. The 3DS completely removed this problem. I managed to leap from cliff to cliff as Master Yoda, zoomed through the trees as Link and successfully flew my jetpack to safety in Pilotwings (something I've been struggling to do since I owned it on the SNES).

I thought the Street Fighter and Resident Evil set pieces at the start of the event were a bit cheesy, although if Chris Redfield fancies squeezing my waist again I won't complain. Which brings me onto my favourite game!

Favourite game: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
    I felt completely drawn into Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and was ducking around and swearing at Claire Redfield to get a move on as the hoards of infected hoodies swarmed in around me. There is something for everyone in the 3DS line-up though: PES 2011, Resident Evil, Zelda and the unbelievably cute Nintendogs + Cats.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    I've read a lot of opinions. A common factor seems to be horrible viewing angles and struggling to focus on 2d screen after looking at 3d.
    The 3d is apparently like looking into a box rather than popping out.
    I think a lot of people will find that disappointing.

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah it will give it a sense of depth, that's what I have expected!

For those buying it in the UK, John Lewis would be a good place to get it from. They have it online now for pre-order at £199 and will price match under certain T&C's so could be a good place to get one from!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Elite Member

Japan is so lucky getting this thing so soon. More than a month to go before I can have mine.

Earthbound
    Toys ‘R’ Us – £196.99
    Amazon – £197.00
    Tesco – £197.00
    Asda – £199.00
    Dixons – £199.00
    ShopTo – £199.85
    Zavvi – £199.85
    Sainsbury’s – £199.99
    Play – £202.00
    GAME – £219.99 (online), £229.99 (in-store)
    HMV – £219.99
    Argos – £219.99
    (with £60 worth of gift vouchers and an accessories kit worth £20)
    List of retailers current prices. Like I said, JL will pretty much match any of those prices but they don't match online prices, instore only and it has to be in stock etc.
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Elite Member

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/18...-nintendo-3ds/

Head of Team Ninja explains why Dead or Alive is on the 3DS compared to say, the PSP which didn't get a DoA at all. Apparently the reason has to do with 3DS' online/network play allowing for a smoother experience.

Surprising since Nintendo's online isn't exactly the most reliable out there, but good to hear that a fighting game can do well by it since that seems to be a genre most often tripped up when it comes to online what with input lag and other factors. No DoA for me though, I want Street Fighter so hopefully Ono and his team were able to create a smooth online experience for that too.

Elite Member

Dead or Alive is looking really good. While SFIV is likely running on a superior engine (despite being a lighter version of MT Framework, I believe) DoA just looks all around really smooth and polished:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26064165

Earthbound
    I second that. I just read about it in Official Nintendo Magazine and at first I wasn't sure if I was looking at a 3DS game!

Game have lowered the price of the 3DS to £196.99 online. That makes it the cheapest place to order a 3DS at the moment.
    Last edited by dc89; 02-23-2011 at 09:03.

Elite Member

I wish retailers here in the US would do some comeptitive price slashing like that. Anyway, with the US release up I may buy Samurai Warriors Chronicles and just stick with that. I planned on getting Street Fighter but I'll wait on that until later but Samurai Warriors sounds to have a ton of content based on information out there and after playing Sengoku Basara a few months ago I think I'm up for some more one man versus entire army decimation action. :P

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrum View Post
    I wish retailers here in the US would do some comeptitive price slashing like that.
    196-200£ is still over 320$, so there's no way Nintendo is "allowing" for similar price slashes in the US.

Anyway, with the US release up I may buy Samurai Warriors Chronicles and just stick with that.
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. SWC on 3DS is horrible, HORRIBLE crap. Get Pilot Wings Resort, Steel Diver or:

I planned on getting Street Fighter
    instead. Or, if you like turn-based strategy games, you might want to look into that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. It's a turn-based strategy game from the creator of X-Com, so it has the potential to be really great, even though it doesn't seem to be taking advantage of 3DS that much (it began as a DS game, iirc).

As I anticipated, I got a chance to get a 3DS cheaper through my job (a little over 200€). Since it seems that there's no hope for a price cut anytime soon, I think I'll go with that. Not sure if I'll buy any games at launch, though, since I'm a bit low on cash atm + I have a huge back catalogue of DS games (still a couple of 999 playthroughs left + Dragon Quest VI & Radiant Historia), so I might just take advantage of 3DS's b/c & better screens to get a slightly better experience.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Elite Member

Any particular reason(s) why I should avoid Samurai Warriors, though? If need be then for sure I'd have street fighter to fall back on or even pilotwings but I mainly want SWC because I like the game type and it seems to boast a lot of content.

Earthbound
    I wouldn't let people talk me out of a particular game if I liked the look of it! But that's just me, I'm stubborn.

I'm pretty hyped for Animal Crossing, I read in Official Nintendo Magazine that they have used the depth the 3D offers to make people and animals taller and shorter and more unique. Likewise with trees and flowers.

They said a fully decorated house in 3D is a joy to look at. It's some way off yet so I hope they add more features to the game to stop it getting a little samey.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrum View Post
    Any particular reason(s) why I should avoid Samurai Warriors, though? If need be then for sure I'd have street fighter to fall back on or even pilotwings but I mainly want SWC because I like the game type and it seems to boast a lot of content.
    It just seems like a rush port. It's got content yeah, but the controls feel sluggish and I dunno, it just didn't feel like that good of a port. I've got it too (the PS3 version), and, frankly, that'll stay the way I'll play my Samurai Warriors. Seriously, there are loads of other, potentially better games to pick from in the launch line-up. These are the games I'd ever even consider from the list:

-Pilot Wings Resort
    -Steel Diver
    -Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
    -Rayman 2 3D (based on the best version of the game, the Dreamcast one)
    -Raving Rabbits Travel In Time
    -Super Street Fighter IV
    -Pro Evolution Soccer, if I knew I could find some company playing it
    -maybe, MAYBE Ridge Racer (looks like crap, but there have been some cautiously optimistic impressions from people who've actually played it)
    -(Dead or Alive; is this a launch date title? or a launch era one? I forget)

And even from those a few could turn out to be complete crap, mainly, Raving Rabbits & Ridge Racer, and while Rayman 2 is a great game, I guess they could screw up the port. I'd always go for quality over quantity. I'd rather play the shorter GOOD game than the longer, average at best one.

Late-edit: Oh, and how could I forget James Noir (though, not sure if it's a launch title). Could be a decent detective adventure/visual novel game with good production values. I just hope it's at least Phoenix Wright level in length and not like Another Code: Two Memories (which I love, but it only took, like, 4-5 hours), which was a launch era DS game.
    Last edited by Azu; 02-24-2011 at 00:56.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Elite Member

I thought Samurai Warriors Chronicles was a new game though? Only thing I really saw linking it to any recent titles is the fact it has every character in the current Samurai Warriors 3 on Wii and PS3 along with the new stuff the game itself is supposed to have. I actually skipped out on the Wii release of Samurai Warriors 3 in favor of Sengoku Basara which is another reason why I'm interested in this one so I can have it on the go.

I dunno, I'll see how pre-launch impressions for the US shape up then before I commit as I haven't really read anything too negative about the game and it seems to be one of the higher rated titles for the system over in Japan.

Earthbound
    With the 3DS launching in Japan on Saturday pictures and videos have started to leak now!

A video of the systems menu interface and various options:

Pictures of the box and supplied accs:

AND it gets better! Play Asia have uploaded a photoalbum of more unboxxing pictures, comparison pictures with the other DS consoles and close ups of the various ports etc.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...07219812640436
    Last edited by dc89; 02-24-2011 at 13:08.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Can't wait!!!!

Earthbound

It appears some games have images on both side of the covers, I always find that a nice touch.

Comparing a 3DS cartridge to that of a DS.

Below are videos of a three part series which include unboxing and going through some of the features and even some gameplay (I think). The people in the video speak in Cantonese but you can just mute them and watch it :P

Below is a video of the 3DS' music visualizer. That must look impressive!

Also needless to say that DS and DSi flashcarts are also useless with the 3DS. This has been discovered by people who picked the 3DS up early and tested the carts. Not a bad thing IMO.

Here you can see a example of the AR (Augmented Reality) Cards which come with the console. Apparently you get good quality prints of them too in the user manual:

It wouldn't be a new Nintendo console without the crazy warning pictures:

The last one. Is that guy wearing invisible trousers or does he have a 3DS lodged in his anus?

I'm starting to get hyped now and it's still a month away! Got my pre-order down now though. Gone for Cosmos Black. £197.
    Last edited by dc89; 02-25-2011 at 22:59.

Elite Member

Nice videos. The music visualizer is kind of cool as well as some of the other features. Another site has pics of the fishing AR game, I'm currently waiting to see footage of that Mii Quest game.

And here come the lines:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201102/26040882.html

Earthbound
    Hmm I will get round to fixing that hosting problem shortly!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Seen the ds 3d footage of gameplay and loved it alot,

can not wait for a load of remake of old titles like
    ZELDA: O.O.T
    MARIO BROTHERS
    and many more. Its going to be awsome
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Earthbound
    Fixed my linking! Go look at the crazy warning pics you get in the manual! It appears that the 3DS' worst enemy is a ink-jet printer...

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post

It appears some games have images on both side of the covers, I always find that a nice touch.

Comparing a 3DS cartridge to that of a DS.

Below are videos of a three part series which include unboxing and going through some of the features and even some gameplay (I think). The people in the video speak in Cantonese but you can just mute them and watch it :P

Below is a video of the 3DS' music visualizer. That must look impressive!

Also needless to say that DS and DSi flashcarts are also useless with the 3DS. This has been discovered by people who picked the 3DS up early and tested the carts. Not a bad thing IMO.

Here you can see a example of the AR (Augmented Reality) Cards which come with the console. Apparently you get good quality prints of them too in the user manual:

It wouldn't be a new Nintendo console without the crazy warning pictures:

The last one. Is that guy wearing invisible trousers or does he have a 3DS lodged in his anus?

I'm starting to get hyped now and it's still a month away! Got my pre-order down now though. Gone for Cosmos Black. £197.
    I would love to know who they have hired to make this stuff..

I'd also love to be there and observe the higher ups who "approve" of these and their expressions.

Earthbound
    Haha. Nothing to do with 3DS but this may be the best warning picture:

For the Wii.

Who would put grass in their Wii?

PSU Technical Advisor
    A four leaf clover, no less.

Thread Information