Latest PSU headlines:

Metallica

Developers, Sony Still Lagging Behind on Motion Control?

I hope what they are saying in this article isn't true. Some guys from Wired magazine demo'd "Full Auto 2" at Sega and not only was motion control not added to the game yet, but the controllers they got from Sony didn't even have motion control in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    There was plenty of speculation after Sony's E3 conference that the motion-sensing functionality was jammed into the controller at the last minute as a reaction to Nintendo's strategy. This was backed up by the Warhawk developers' offhand remarks that they'd implemented motion sensing "in just a couple weeks" Not to mention that Warhawk was the only title on the floor with motion control. Not to mention the fact that apparently the first many game developers had even heard of the functionality was right there at that press conference.

Today would seem not only to back that up, but go even further -- remember, the controllers we had in front of us didn't even have the motion sensors inside them!
    http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1541176

Veteran
    People were playing warhawk on the showfloor with the motion-sensing controller so the design is obviously done....maybe they just don't have enough yet to go around.

The Bloodline Clan: Apply now for LBP, SOCOM, Killzone, COD4 and/or Resistance gaming.
    We Welcome Casual and Hardcore gamers alike.

Superior Member
    Hmm. How do they know motion sensing wasn't in the controller? And if it isn't why is it a big deal if warhawk got motion sensing in at the last moment? is 3 months too long? Think about that.

Stig
    Don't worry about it. Here's a bit from yesterday's IGN hands-on with some dev kits:

We were also told that the dev kit seemed to be extremely adaptive and easy to program for. In fact, Pseudo talked about how they hadn't put in their planned tilt sensitivity, but had literally dropped in the wireless support for the controllers on Tuesday.
    Source.

Apprentice
    What a dumb ass blog.... Other devs have reported implementing plenty of motion controller stuff.

All this guy is doing is trying to re-hash the lame debate that Sony only copied Nintendo, when it was obvioulsy more of an issue of the law suit with Immersion.

Sony had patents on their motion control sensor dating back to 1999.

Metallica
    Which game by Pseudo are they talking about and when is it scheduled to be released? It's good that the dev-kits are easy to program for, but I'm hoping developers are incorporating the motion control early in the development process rather that just "dropping it in".

Master Poster
    They obviously need to "drop it in" before they can optimize it. It is good that they can do that in a short amount of time and can concentrate on other important stuff instead.

I don't think all games will have good support for the motion sensors but most will.

Elite Member
    If they got the initial idea from nintendo, oh well. I care nothing about semantics when it comes to consoles, I just play the games.

Apprentice

Honestly, I would much rather have rumble in the controller than motion control just because it seems like it will rarely be used.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallica View Post
    Which game by Pseudo are they talking about and when is it scheduled to be released? It's good that the dev-kits are easy to program for, but I'm hoping developers are incorporating the motion control early in the development process rather that just "dropping it in".

You have to expect that the motion controller will evolve alongside the PS3 as the good ideas are borrowed and expanded upon by devs from generation to generation.

Early games will have some cool ideas, 2nd gen games will incorporate some more, and 3rd gen games will incorporate more ideas.

It will be an evolutionary process.

Forum Elder

Hypo, so far numerous launch games will use the tilt feature...the fact it is standard will assure the "tilts" use in many games to come

Elite Member
    Most developers are not telling anyone about how they going to implement the ideas because they think that the other studios are going to copy their ideas. Each time the press asked the developers how they trying to implement the tilt control into their games, they say we cant talk about it yet but we have some good ideas. I mean tilt can be applied in so many different ways then just the usual thoughts of flight and driving.
    I am not bothered by the fact that I am unknown. I am bothered when I do not know others.
    -Confucius

Veteran
    Guess what I am playing FNR3 right now on my 360 and it doesn't support rumble but I didn't even notice it at first....after experiencing that I have to say that I dont know how important having rumble is.

The Bloodline Clan: Apply now for LBP, SOCOM, Killzone, COD4 and/or Resistance gaming.
    We Welcome Casual and Hardcore gamers alike.

Apprentice
    isnt there a sticky for controller disscusion...

anyway i think that if the warhawk devs could implement it in such a short time so well then other devs big time devs e.g. EA games shouldnt haver too much trouble implementing it even if the idea came out recently.
    "Is it better to be at the bottom and get crushed, or to be at the top and fall?"
    "Its better to be quiet and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Metallica
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    They obviously need to "drop it in" before they can optimize it. It is good that they can do that in a short amount of time and can concentrate on other important stuff instead.

I don't think all games will have good support for the motion sensors but most will.
    That's EXACTLY WRONG! I hate it when developers just put a feature in just to say they have it without actually making it work well. I can't believe anyone would think dropping in features is a good idea! No wonder so many development companies just put out crap these days, there are actually people dumb enough to buy it!!! > : (

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fireras View Post
    Guess what I am playing FNR3 right now on my 360 and it doesn't support rumble but I didn't even notice it at first....after experiencing that I have to say that I dont know how important having rumble is.
    I keep imagining how the tilt feature could be used in fight night. When your throwing punches or something. And i agree, i never even noticed that rumble was missing in that game. Only thing that worries me is when the next gen rumble comes out, i dont want to miss out on the cool features that games will have with that.

Elite Guru
    It's normal for companies to strip out features from their machines when there is a shortage of it. This would be more so if the features was in fact implemented weeks before E3.

If the guys developing FA2:B asked for motion sensing, I'm sure Sony would have given it to them. But what can you really say when the original game didn't have anything to do with motion sensing in the first place... so why would Sony give them a motion sensing compatible machine? (it doesn't cost a penny to ship one devkit)

-Shenyu
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Apprentice
    Sony would not remove this feature. They've had enough bad press lately, but recently it's got better. It would practically kill playstation, even more bad press to face, about them copying nintendo.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We have a controller sticky. Please post in it.
    Simplicity is the key to Brilliance

Thread Information