Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 Rumors

Apprentice
    I used my uni email to register, so no problems there.

And the dude claims to work for Sony, so asking him about MS disc policy would be kind of pointless, he wouldn't be able to say much about that I'm assuming.

Superior Member
    Yeah I guess so...but it wouldn't hurt to try
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

http://www.metalgearsolidforums.com/

Apprentice
    Okay you got it dude, I asked him for you. No idea when he might reply though.

Superior Member
    Thanks. You don't have to post his response here (unless everyone here wants to see) for me, I'll just keep hitting F5

Nice question you asked though. It's a good idea to make sure this guy isn't some 13 year old waiting to laugh his ass off when we all get disappointed.
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

Apprentice
    Well thats what I figure, I'm sure just saying what department he works for can't possibly violate an ND, or saying if hes a beta tester or a programmer or whatever the case might be, surely you're allowed to tell someone your job description.

Apprentice
    i have a good feeling about this guy...im interested to hear what he has to say about the multi-disc thing, i dont expect much seeing as how he works for sony but oh well
    It is what it is

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Axe&Hammer
    Does anyone know where I can find those tv spots for the Ps3
    like "I heard it has like crazy graphics" stuff

Superior Member
    Does anyone know where I can find those tv spots for the Ps3
    like "I heard it has like crazy graphics" stuff
    They're in the Sony Press Conference from this year's E3. You can download the video pretty much anywhere.

I read Scrivener's respose. I guess using only one disc isn't not so much a policy as an unwritten rule.
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtGuyDom View Post
    It seems pretty realistic to me (except that damn MS one-disc policy).

I mean, imagine what that would do to a game like GTA IV! Either the game looks crappy on both systems so it can fit on one 360 dvd, or it gets dropped from the 360. I swear, if this policy makes GTA IV look worse than it could (for either system) I will be extremely pissed.
    That could very well be the exact reason Microsoft and Rockstar joined together to provide downloadable content. They can't fit everything on the disc, and Microsoft knows that. They ink a deal to allow for downloadable content, so it looks better for them. Even though in reality, they would have to use mulitple discs. The idea of a no mulitple disc policy makes sense, as it also decreases cost.

That is possibly why there has been no mention of downloadable content for the PS3 version. They don't need it because they can fit everything they need on the Blu-Ray disc.

As for the guy in question, I am starting to open up a little, but I'm still very skeptical.
    I'm tired of the Killzone 2 hate. Attacking the game and calling it mediocre because it doesn't do anything different is absolutely ridiculous, because games like Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Gears of War and many others are given free passes to high scores and critical praise from everyone despite the FACT that they do nothing different either. Killzone 2 should not be thrown to the curb.

Apprentice
    Well there you go, theres this answer to that, makes sense.

It's not just a MS policy, actually. It's the reason multidisc games have basically been nonexistant since PSOne*. There's a number of reasons. From a technical standpoint, it's difficult to split a game onto multiple discs unless it's very linear. It also requires special packaging (usually stacked or snap-in flap). The packaging isn't so much the problem as swapping discs is incredibly annoying for consumers and creates all kinds quality assurance nightmares... especially with todays large nonlinear games. Hence, MS and Sony generally require that the title fit on a single disc. There are exceptions, but they are very few and far between. *Nintendo had a similar rule for N64 - but not for GC. In that case it made sense, since GC discs have a lower capacity than normal DVDs and are cheap to produce. You'll also notice that the GC games with multiple discs are fairly linear with clearly defined "break points" that require minimal disc swapping.

Apprentice
    Yea i can see that, as a consumer disc swapping would be annoying as hell..i mean who wants to get off their lazy ass to change a disc? Just kidding im not that lazy but it makes sense that it requires alot of work to make it linear
    It is what it is

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Me_Becoming_I View Post
    That could very well be the exact reason Microsoft and Rockstar joined together to provide downloadable content. They can't fit everything on the disc, and Microsoft knows that. They ink a deal to allow for downloadable content, so it looks better for them. Even though in reality, they would have to use mulitple discs. The idea of a no mulitple disc policy makes sense, as it also decreases cost.

That is possibly why there has been no mention of downloadable content for the PS3 version. They don't need it because they can fit everything they need on the Blu-Ray disc.

As for the guy in question, I am starting to open up a little, but I'm still very skeptical.
    True. And even if PS3 games end up being $100 (HA), it'll probably still be more expensive to pay for all of the extra content necessary to match what the PS3 version came with.
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

Apprentice
    I doubt the scrivn guy is going to tell who he is and what department he works for...plus isnt it much more fun to hear the rumor and speculate whether its real or not?
    It is what it is

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Apprentice
    Well I gotta say, the mans credibility is growing on me; they all seem very protective of him over there like he has built up a reputation for being reliable.

Apprentice
    Yea i have read that over the last 18 pages there...I'm gonna go out on a limb and believe him
    It is what it is

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Apprentice
    I was going to ask about GTA and if he knew anything about how R* would take advantage of both systems. But I guess you can't have a free email. >___<

Oh well. He's being bombarded with questions anyway.

Superior Member
    Hopefully he'll be posting updates all through the convention. I wish someone somewhere was doing a live feed of the event like the press conferences at E3.
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

Apprentice
    haha yayou can tell those guys are really backing him with what Tiny Tim said...lol
    It is what it is

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Forum Guru
    A live feed would be cool, but bandwidth costs from Germany are probably crazy.

Oh well, hopefully I'll wake up to a boardful of PS3 mayhem like I did today.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
    A live feed would be cool, but bandwidth costs from Germany are probably crazy.

Oh well, hopefully I'll wake up to a boardful of PS3 mayhem like I did today.
    Maybe this will help: http://livecam.leipziger-messe.de/gc/

Credit to Shred0r for the find. Note: be sure you have Java.
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtGuyDom View Post
    Maybe this will help: http://livecam.leipziger-messe.de/gc/

Credit to Shred0r for the find. Note: be sure you have Java.
    NICE!!!! Bout to try it out.
    Da Gentleman

Superior Member
    @Nuklear_Axis

I noticed you posted the following at that site:

yeah I read through the whole thread, as well as reading back a few pages in the archive of his posts. And well yeah he seems to have been around a fair while thats for sure.
    How did you check his archives? Did you click his name and then click "Find all posts by Scrivener"? 'cause when I try that it says I can't (even though it had allowed me to post).

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdo View Post
    @Nuklear_Axis

I noticed you posted the following at that site:

How did you check his archives? Did you click his name and then click "Find all posts by Scrivener"? 'cause when I try that it says I can't (even though it had allowed me to post).
    I think he's talking about just that one thread, not the entire forum.
    I gots me a PS3!

"War has changed."

Apprentice
    Actually I went through like the last 10 pages of that forum, looking for threads authored by Scriv and reading them, as yeah I can't do the search thing either.

Forum Guru
    After reading 18pages over there I'm going to believe him too.

Thread Information