Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

PS3 Secret - 4th Dimension??

There are rumours aplenty about what this new 'secret' feature of the PS3 may be, but this one seems to be the most believed.

A story suggesting that an Eye-Toy like innovation may be Sony's secret weapon for the PS3 has landed on our news desk and since the origin is a reliable source which we call a MegaGames friend, we have to mention it.

In a time when everyone is heaping praise, and rightly so, on Nintendo for innovating and daring to be alternative, many have forgotten that Sony has a proven record of fresh ideas including the introduction of Eye Toy which all of its rivals will be using in some shape or form in their new consoles. This news seems to tie-in well with the Sony's innovative side and with the idea that the Japanese giant had to have an ace somewhere up its sleeve.

The message we received started with a rather ambitious claim, ...what is the unrevealed connection between PS3 and Minority Report? We scratched our heads, called a meeting and remembering Kaz Hirai's enthusiasm at E3 the answer was obvious; stiff acting by both casts, right? It seems there is more to it than that as the correct answer comes from Sony's involvement with Prime Sense, a new Israeli company that claims to be operating in stealth mode. The new company claims to have patent-pending technology that can ...reconstruct 3D topography without assuming anything about the user or environmental conditions.

If you are still unclear as to how that ties in with Sony, maybe the full description of the technology by Prime Sense will light that bulb over your head.
    Prime Sense’s concept is a device, which allows a computer to perceive the world in 3D and derive an understanding of the world based on sight, just the way humans do.

The device includes a sensor, which sees a user (including their complete surroundings), and a digital component, or "brain" which learns and understands user movement within those surroundings.

Prime Sense’s interactive device can see, track and react to user movements outside the computer, all without change of environment or wearable equipment for the end user. The closed device is plug and play and platform independent.

The way our, very reliable, source was reminded of Minority Report has to do with a scene in the movie in which a user manipulates a computer screen using special gloves; only with this tech you do not need the gloves. This reminds us of what Gesture Tek have hinted is possible with XBox 360 but taken one big step further.

Our source became even more specific claiming that the add-on will be available for the PS3 on the console's global release in mid November while Logitech will come up with a PC version a few months later. Additionally we found out that the Department of Defense, has expressed an interest in the technology although that is unlikely to affect the PS3 version of the hardware.

In conclusion, we have a very reliable source that claims Sony will have a PS3 peripheral which will recognize a user and his entire environment as well as his movements and will incorporate them into useful, in-console actions. The applications of this tech to gaming are obvious and if this story is proved right, Sony may yet manage to steal Nintendo's thunder in this generation of the console wars.

For a link to the developer's website follow the download tab above and please bear in mind that their How we do it section is meant to be a joke rather than the real secret behind the technology.
    http://www.megagames.com/news/html/c...revealed.shtml

If this is true then it will bring a whole new dimension to gaming, taking us out of 3D and bringing us into 4D gaming...
    PSN id - ThePlay3r
    R:FOM, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3
    Add me...

Forum Elder
    Man, that would be the greatest secret of all! Besides hardware upgrades. Plus, that would really bring home the 4-D gaming and the "secret feature" that Starbreeze cannot discuss with us
    Setup of a college gamer short on cash:
    20GB PS3 (with 160GB HDD), Acer 22" Monitor, Logitech Z-2300 speakers with harmon/kardon rear speakers connected to a Creative X-fi 5.1 card, Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Wheel, and a ton of racing games with a few FPSes sprinkled in.

Superior Member
    That would be a pretty amazing device! I'd get it. Unlike the eyetoy.

But everyone who reads this should take it with a grain of salt. Lets not get carried away. We'll find out at TGS if this is a reality

I agree about taking it with a grain of salt, until Sony confirm anything we should remember that all speculation is still just that, speculation...(although it would be great)
    PSN id - ThePlay3r
    R:FOM, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3
    Add me...

Super Elite
    I don't think the secret feature has anything to do with the Eye Toy...

Eye-toy 2 was nowhere in sight, it wasn't even mentioned...

From another thread:
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by STL.GANGSTER View Post
    "The Inquirer:

"We could even touch the wireless remote but the machine didn’t work as Sony didn’t want to plug it in."

Spokesman tells why they aren't plugged in: "Sony doesn’t want to show the live demo as there is a hidden secret feature that Sony doesn’t want to show off yet."
    I know its from the Inquirer, but I don't think they would make something like that up.

Notice, however, how they mention that Sony didn't want to power up the PS3, so the 'secret feature' must be somwhere in the basic PS3 package, ie. the console itself or the controller.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the controller, think back on the recent video of PS3's UI from IGN, and how it was mentioned that the dev-kit controllers didn't have motion-sensing in them yet...What else did the controllers not have? Why would the latest dev-kit not come with the finalized controller, baybe because it is not yet final? Or perhaps they had to use the non-final version because the devs were asked not to tell anyone about this latest feature?

So I don't know what the feature is, obviously. But my guess would be...rumble?!

Elite Member
    How about that Game Sony showed at E3 Eye of Judgement or something looked pretty awesome controlling a 3D Enviroment

Master Poster
    Ofcourse its just a rumour but if its true, well ... that would be amazing.

I know they want to take the eye toy further but this is just something we werent expecting.
    Diablo 3 - DOTA 2 - Deus EX 3 - Half Life: Episode 3

Elite Member
    Well this would be cool but like everyone also said just wait until Sony confirms it and then we can celebrate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Yestereday is like today, but today is unlike any other day"

I think the whold 4th demention thing was just ken being ken. I think the secret should be an owning gpu. And will the eyetoy be standard with ps3? if not that would make it harder for devs to use.

.____/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\____
    [____|..|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|..|____]
    |...↑.....|..................|.....∆...|
    |←..→..|..................|..□....○.|
    |...↓.....|..................|.....x....|
    |...●.....|__________|...........|
    \_________PSP___________/

Darji
    Hello^^

first of all I Think there could be some truth in it. In July Sony had admit a new patent announced.
    NEXT Gen.biz reports, which could concern it thereby an advancement of the Eye Toy for the PS3. The principle is the following: a camera recognizes the movements of an object (e.g. staff, that is swung in the hand of the player like a sword) and transfers these movements one to one into that play. It takes place quasi a three-dimensional scanning with the help of a patented technology. So far several cameras were to be always managed
    necessarily the something.

sorry its only Babelfish english because i only have the german version left and my English is not that good

And can you all remember the E3 05 where they played with the ducks and the paper cups? They played with virtual Water and real paper Cups.

So maybe we will see something amaizing in the future from Sony

Forum Guru

PS3 Secret - 4th Dimension??

If Sony can pull this off…….OMFG!!!!!! Like with some of the other rumors, “Please add salt”…

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo721 View Post
    That video was so amazing! Wow!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sailor-Moon on the Playstation Network!

Darji
    OMG i Want a Soulcalibur like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF5WCwEYnng&NR

But you will need a lot of space^^

edit: You all must watch this. This short clip illustrates the functionality of Augmented Reality. It even says it can be easily done by a normal PC so its not impossible that we will see it.^^
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJwU...related&search=

Forum Elder
    wow, i never thought this would be possible.. please, let this be the 4d gaming.. i just wish this to be included and not an add on

if it is included right out of the box it will be a success, otherwise it will be only cool

Add me in PSN if you're from here. PSN ID: cmaranhao

Xaor
    IT seems unlikely; but i'm hopeful....

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_the_Cat View Post
    I don't think the secret feature has anything to do with the Eye Toy...

Eye-toy 2 was nowhere in sight, it wasn't even mentioned...

From another thread:
    I know its from the Inquirer, but I don't think they would make something like that up.

Notice, however, how they mention that Sony didn't want to power up the PS3, so the 'secret feature' must be somwhere in the basic PS3 package, ie. the console itself or the controller.
    I have a feeling that it has something to do with the controller, think back on the recent video of PS3's UI from IGN, and how it was mentioned that the dev-kit controllers didn't have motion-sensing in them yet...What else did the controllers not have? Why would the latest dev-kit not come with the finalized controller, baybe because it is not yet final? Or perhaps they had to use the non-final version because the devs were asked not to tell anyone about this latest feature?

So I don't know what the feature is, obviously. But my guess would be...rumble?!
    Evil... that is such a good interpretation. seriously. it makes perfect sense. when you turn it on it pulses or something i'm sure. oh goodness, i'm getting all giddy inside. must be immersion and sony were able to settle their differences. my money is on rumble for sure.

as for the eyetoy, i'm sure that will be happening as well, but i just don't see them bundling it with either of the SKU's. i will be buying one though... if only for the communication aspect of it. video conferencing for the win.

Forum Elder
    it must be standard to reach the masses, otherwise it will go unnoticed

Apprentice

This isn't the first time this has been brought up, but it seems a little more likely now considering sony has done no press, no real hands on, and only given us CG videos. WAIT. What if the ps3 controller had no motion sensors at all it was ALL done using this isreali technology? Holy f-ing poop if I'm the first to state this well then rally on. Mybutt owns
    Hey everybody, check out my butt!!!

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I didn't think anyone knew about the DoD contracts. Someone had a deepthroat.

Forum Elder
    there is anotehr thread stating that the new feature is a rumble made by sony.. only a rumour though.. i much rather prefer the 4d gaming scene.. crap!

Dedicated Member
    This is cool and everything but I don't think we'll see this type of technology implemented until the PS4.

Superior Member

The only way I can see this getting widely popular is if Sony decides to bundle this with every PS3. This will give developers the ability to use this awesome 4D in whatever game possible, because it'll be a "standard". When you have an accessory the developers can't tell if everyone will have it, usually ending up with less effort put into the product development or phasing it out just like the PS2 HD.

I personally wouldn't mind getting one if they can pull off the Minority Report OS scrolling or bring POLICE 911 onto the PS3!!!!!!! And damn it someone find a way to play light gun shooters on those LCD's and HD tv's!!!!!!!!!!!

Apprentice

They arent going to bundle the Eyetoy with the Ps3, at least not the $500 Ps3 bundle. That ps3 doesnt even have WIFI, it sure as heck wont get an eye toy. I am sure there will be bundles for around $700-$800 with extra controller, 1-2 games, etc..

Apprentice

sounds like sci-fi to me but if it comes well, I'll get it
    Signature removed ~ Lp Chris XII

Thread Information