Latest PSU headlines:

Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 394959 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1722

Thread: Your Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    You complained about the cost of PC gaming regarding hardware costs.

Not much of an issue if you pick your components wisely.
    I just buy the best/fastest hardware at the time, price adds up that's all i was saying especially £500 for the best GPU and £780 for a Intel i7-990X UK prices

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFury-EX View Post
    I just buy the best/fastest hardware at the time, price adds up that's all i was saying especially £500 for the best GPU and £780 for a Intel i7-990X UK prices
    Only suckers buy intel extreme CPU's and 500 pound vid cards.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ye the 990x is old hat the 2600k can keep up with it and even beat it in some encoding tests and even when the 2600k is beaten its by 10 seconds in n encode or only a 200 points in those synthetic benchmarks things.

So for half the price we can get 95% or more performance of the severely over priced 990x.

The most expensive things are not always the best also if someone knows a bit about over clocking they can save money by buying the lesser version of the same CPU and clock it to the same stock clocks as the more expensive processor as many people did with the E8400 which when I bought mine was £135 but the faster E8600 was over £200.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-12-2011 at 07:51.

They were just an example dude, my point was if you did buy top of the range stuff your PC would last longer between builds.

Anyway this will be my last build i think, i never intended it to be a gamer PC, just good enough to run Photoshop effectively but i might invest in a descent graphics card that could run Batman: Arkham City on best settings i.e GeForce GTX 460 or 570.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFury-EX View Post
    They were just an example dude, my point was if you did buy top of the range stuff your PC would last longer between builds.

Anyway this will be my last build i think, i never intended it to be a gamer PC, just good enough to run Photoshop effectively but i might invest in a descent graphics card that could run Batman: Arkham City on best settings i.e GeForce GTX 460 or 570.
    Buying smarter is the key. Mid to lower upper range is where its at.

Elite Member
    I have the asus G73s. has an I7, with Geforce GTX 460, is a very good gaming laptop, and able to play every game on maximum

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    My PC Specs are:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core
    RAM: 2.50GB
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2900 PRO
    HardDrive: 150GB

Nothing special, but I haven't had trouble playing most games on high settings.
    I do want to upgrade my Ram and CPU a little bit.
    Don't want to buy anything too expensive though.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Just built a mew PC last week so I guess I will post the specs here

RAM: 8GB Corsair CM3X duel channel
    MB: Asus P8P67
    GPU: Geforce GTX 560
    CPU: i7 2600
    HDD: 1TB WD

Runs Skyrim right now on Ultra High as default settings, I am totally pleased with all of these parts.

Super Elite
    Indeed.

To add note, an $80 GPU outdoes consoles and that is all that really matters.

My PC is a 1.8GHz Intel Duo Core 2 with 3GB of 800MHz DDR2 with an ATI 5870 card in a PCIE 1.0 slot. Believe it or not, there is very little bottleneck if any, and it runs amazingly!
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage

I disagree. I agree that the expensive options don't always mean better but to say someone is a sucker for buying the more expensive option, i think that a bit shortsighted. I'm planning on spending around £1000 on GPU upgrades alone next year, while i understand that is overkill and can be seen as a waste of money (same as the amount of money i'm going to drop in January for my laptop) i don't think i'll be a sucker for doing it as i will need that amount of power.

Different stokes, different folks.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I disagree. I agree that the expensive options don't always mean better but to say someone is a sucker for buying the more expensive option, i think that a bit shortsighted. I'm planning on spending around £1000 on GPU upgrades alone next year, while i understand that is overkill and can be seen as a waste of money (same as the amount of money i'm going to drop in January for my laptop) i don't think i'll be a sucker for doing it as i will need that amount of power.

Different stokes, different folks.
    There is a difference between "needs" and "wants".

Forum Sage

Of course there is but then if you say it like that why does anyone bother buying anything like them in the first place. There's nothing wrong with not minding paying a premium

The way I see it I want to be able to play across three monitors in 3D, if I want, at all the settings I like. In order for me to do that I need to have the power behind it.

Tapatalking

Super Elite
    PC is not expensive. With the logic you are using, it's like saying people can't afford cars bcuz Ferraris are too expensive.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage
    Of course there is but then if you say it like that why does anyone bother buying anything like them in the first place. There's nothing wrong with not minding paying a premium

The way I see it I want to be able to play across three monitors in 3D, if I want, at all the settings I like. In order for me to do that I need to have the power behind it.

Tapatalking
    There is no point in buying an intel extreme cpu. Lower end models have unlocked multipliers which allow for easier overclocking.

With the 500 pound/dollar gpu's the issue is that in a year there will be a card out with similar or better performance for around half the price.

It makes no sense to invest so much in computer tech when it becomes outdated so quickly.

The only reason to is for business, when you don't really have a choice and need the the fastest equipment available.

Forum Sage

I agree on the CPU, I wouldn't dream of buying the 990x when you can get an unlocked one and it and I get the same performance.

I disagree when it comes to the GPU though. Yes, they will be a newer one out the following year but that's just the way technology goes. You can only buy the best that is available when your buying. It I bought two 590's today and thru released a 6XX range that doesn't mean the 590's become obsolete as soon as the newer card is out.

If people are fussed about having the latest parts then they'd be spending a lot of money on yearly upgrades.

It's not only for business. Its for the enthusiasts that want the best experience available to them and don't mind paying the price. Just because you don't see the value in it doesn't mean it makes it pointless for everyone else. Why buy a £700 iPhone when you can get a phone for a lot less than that? Why buy a Ferrari when you can get a standard car?

What you want out of your gaming experience may not require the same amount of hardware that I would need to reach the gaming experience that I want.

I just disagree that saying someone is a sucker for spending X amount on a GPU is a sucker when everyone has different situation and requires different things.

Tapatalking

Forum Sage
    I agree on the CPU, I wouldn't dream of buying the 990x when you can get an unlocked one and it and I get the same performance.

I disagree when it comes to the GPU though. Yes, they will be a newer one out the following year but that's just the way technology goes. You can only buy the best that is available when your buying. It I bought two 590's today and thru released a 6XX range that doesn't mean the 590's become obsolete as soon as the newer card is out.

If people are fussed about having the latest parts then they'd be spending a lot of money on yearly upgrades.

It's not only for business. Its for the enthusiasts that want the best experience available to them and don't mind paying the price. Just because you don't see the value in it doesn't mean it makes it pointless for everyone else. Why buy a £700 iPhone when you can get a phone for a lot less than that? Why buy a Ferrari when you can get a standard car?

What you want out of your gaming experience may not require the same amount of hardware that I would need to reach the gaming experience that I want.

I just disagree that saying someone is a sucker for spending X amount on a GPU is a sucker when everyone has different situation and requires different things.

Tapatalking
    Diminishing Returns.

Forum Sage

How so?

Clearly we're just not going to agree. You don't think it's ever worth buying the best because there will be something better out next year (if you look at like that, when is the best time to buy anything?) whereas I think it's fine buying the best (within reason, I wouldn't go out and buy the Asus Ares in a rush). No biggie. Each to their own. Joys with PC gaming is I can spend as much or as little as I like to make my experience tailor made to me and likewise for you.

Tapatalking

Forum Sage
    How so?

Clearly we're just not going to agree. You don't think it's ever worth buying the best because there will be something better out next year (if you look at like that, when is the best time to buy anything?) whereas I think it's fine buying the best (within reason, I wouldn't go out and buy the Asus Ares in a rush). No biggie. Each to their own. Joys with PC gaming is I can spend as much or as little as I like to make my experience tailor made to me and likewise for you.

Tapatalking
    Now you are putting words in my mouth.

And, if I actually did look at things like that, the best time to buy would be as soon as the product is released.

There are too many variables to account for, but the main reasoning comes down to whether it is objective or subjective.

But in this case you are looking at something that can be compared objectively.

And looking at it objectively tells you that the performance you get at that price isn't worth it.

And the issue is, even after spending that much to get the "best" experience, you will still face significant issues.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...c,3050-11.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...fire,2995.html

I think this quote sums it up best:

As always with these products, they make no sense whatsoever money wise. So I'm not going to explain why this product never ever will be worth the full G you need to drop down for it. Because ... people will still buy it regardless of several other alternatives that actually make more sense.

Superior Member
    Just built this thanks to Black Friday deals. Cost about $800 and runs BF3 auto detect settings at Ultra and High with 60+ frames per second.

Cooler Master HAF 922
    Gigabyte Z68 mobo
    i5-2500k w/Hyper 212 cooler
    G.Skill Ripjaws series x 2x4
    MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III PE/OC
    80gig SSD
    Corsair 750w PSU
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Forum Sage

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as if i were putting words in your mouth.

I see where your comming from but there will always be the people that will want to buy the best (by best i mean the parts that are the most expensive and more often than not do work out to be the best without any tweaking) regardless of the price. It's the same reason why Asus keep releasing these cards that costs £900 - people will buy it.

Forum Sage
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as if i were putting words in your mouth.

I see where your comming from but there will always be the people that will want to buy the best (by best i mean the parts that are the most expensive and more often than not do work out to be the best without any tweaking) regardless of the price. It's the same reason why Asus keep releasing these cards that costs £900 - people will buy it.
    People spend lots of money on all kinds of things. Which is where that quote comes in.

Apprentice
    My computer is why I haven't been active on these forums lately. Ever since I built my rig, I've been so busy tweaking it and gaming on it, that my PS3 gets almost no love any more. LOL

Here are my specs:

Case: NZXT Phantom (Black, with all optional fans installed)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 945 (Overclocked from 3.0Ghz to 3.6GHz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 running at 1600Mhz
    HDD: 1 Terabyte Seagate
    PowerSupply: PC Power and Cooling 950W

It runs Skyrim on Maximum settings with multiple mods and no hiccups. My hard drive read/write speed is my biggest bottleneck, but it's not terrible. The loading screens in Skyrim are so fast that I never have time to fully read the captions.

I've worked on computers for a long time, but this was my first build from the ground up. I couldn't believe how smoothly the whole process went. Newegg.com is the $#@! BTW!

Forum Sage

Finally bought my Alienware M14X last night with the following specs.

Base
    Alienware M14x : 1.5 Base Black
    Memory
    4096MB (2x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Keyboard
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    Video Card
    1.5GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT555M
    Hard Drive
    500GB (7,200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Operating System
    English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    Optical Devices
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    Sound
    Integrated High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio
    Wireless Networking
    Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - EUR
    Cables
    UK 220V Power Cord
    Shipping Documents
    Ship Accessory : English Docs
    Gedis Bundle Reference
    N11W1401
    Standard Warranty
    1 year Next Business Day Hardware Support included with your PC
    Enhanced Service Packs
    1 year Next Business Day hardware Support included with your PC
    Bluetooth
    Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Card - EUR
    Order Information
    Alienware M14X MLK Order - UK
    Primary Battery
    Primary 8-cell 63W/HR LI-ION
    Carrying Cases
    No Carrying Case
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2670QM (2.20Ghz, 6MB, 4C)
    Dell System Media Kit
    Resource DVD : Alienware M14x
    Camera
    Integrated 3.0 Mega Pixel HD Camera
    Color Choice
    Alienware M14x Black WLAN
    Alienhead 3D
    TimeZone
    (GMT + 01.00) Vienna, Amsterdam, Berlin, Stockholm
    AlienFx Colour
    Quasar Blue
    Accidental Damage Support
    No Accidental Damage Protection
    OS Customization
    Alienware 3D Wallpaper
    Pre Installed Software
    Steam® Client and Portal™ Game - Factory Installed
    LCD
    14.0" (36 cm) Widescreen High Definition + (1600x900) WLED with TrueLife
    Going to be upgrading the memory from 4GB up to 8Gb and swapping out the DVD drive and putting in a 120GB SSD inside. Both upgrades cost me significantly less than if I were to do it through Dell. Also got myself a Razer Orochi mouse to use on the go

Tapatalking

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Finally bought my Alienware M14X last night with the following specs.

Going to be upgrading the memory from 4GB up to 8Gb and swapping out the DVD drive and putting in a 120GB SSD inside. Both upgrades cost me significantly less than if I were to do it through Dell. Also got myself a Razer Orochi mouse to use on the go

Tapatalking
    Why wouldn't you want the DVD drive?
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Forum Sage

Why would I need a DVD drive? I download all my games so i'd rather have the extra space and a SSD. That and i also have an external dvd drive so if i ever do need to use a DVD (what is rare) I just have to plug that in or make it an ISO file on my PC.

Thread Information