Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5464 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1723

Thread: Your Computer?

Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Windows 8 was great for me once I added the start button back with Classic Shell.

http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/3000-2072_4-75553853.html
    The fails of Windows 8 are more than just the Start menu. It's funny that Microsoft is bringing back the "Start Menu" in Windows 8.1... but not really ->

They don't... get it. The "Start Menu" is just a list view of the tile interface... which isn't the start menu. So lame. :\

At least accessing the shutdown button isn't immensely annoying now.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I do have win 7 on my bootcamp partition on this imac, but I kinda use it at times. I dunno. We'll see when all the parts get here Monday/Tuesday. I'll GoPro record the installation.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    That's why I wont buy bethesda games until they sort their stuff out.
    Yeah, they release the Best GOTY Edition games though, rofl.

Dedicated Member
    i7 3930K, 64GB of DDR3 1600, OC 670 4GB ED. Some hard drives, etc, lol.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    i7 3930K, 64GB of DDR3 1600, OC 670 4GB ED. Some hard drives, etc, lol.
    What are you doing with 64 GB of RAM? Rendering 4K videos?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    The fails of Windows 8 are more than just the Start menu. It's funny that Microsoft is bringing back the "Start Menu" in Windows 8.1... but not really ->

They don't... get it. The "Start Menu" is just a list view of the tile interface... which isn't the start menu. So lame. :\

At least accessing the shutdown button isn't immensely annoying now.
    Agree, but the biggest joke to me was the tiled startup page. Getting the start button back actually made it usable again. I only paid $30 for it though. "Great" was overstating it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Agree, but the biggest joke to me was the tiled startup page. Getting the start button back actually made it usable again. I only paid $30 for it though.
    It makes it tolerable, that's for sure. It's not so much the tiles that bother me... it's the trying to find crap that bothers me. The new Windows Search doesn't find anything. Settings are in bizarre places. It's just weird to use. At least with the third-party start menu options available it makes everything readily accessible.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    It makes it tolerable, that's for sure. It's not so much the tiles that bother me... it's the trying to find crap that bothers me. The new Windows Search doesn't find anything. Settings are in bizarre places. It's just weird to use. At least with the third-party start menu options available it makes everything readily accessible.
    Yeah and you are 100% right about the shutdown button. They put it in settings?! WTF!
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    just got my order confirmation and a promo code for the new splinter cell blacklist game, for free! The deluxe edition! Woot.

Dedicated Member

All Together...

I really love both of my rigs.
    My favorite case is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352017
    Fractal Designs USB3.0 Black Pearl XL Silent PC case. It's sound dampened and heavy metal.

In there is:
    EVGA Superclocked 4GB ed 670.
    i7 3930k (6 core 12 threads)
    Zallman 9900 cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118046
    4x16GB GSKILL Aeres kits 1600 10ns DDR3 RAM.
    Corsair HX 750W GOLD rated PS, Modular.
    WD 450gb Velociraptor
    9TB of WD REDs i'm loading movies onto for XBMC to transfer to a STB later.
    STEAM, lol.

I used to work for INTEL via my old job. My previous year's intel special, getting the i7 970 for $200 had issues as my mobo had issues and i wasn't certain the cpu had survived. It was okay, and, the guy who was interested in buying it when i put it back together backed out, so i have

HIS Radeon 6950 2GB
    24GB GSKILL 1600 9ns
    i7 970
    I'd bought a new case for that one too, and I love it as well
    Rosewill Thor V2 is badass, sweet inside and nearly as quiet as my FD Case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147053
    Antec Truepower 750 Continuous

Even that system doesn't seem to get stressed by anything,and i think the PS4 is roughly as strong as that computationally, so, i'm booting that as a linux network sim. I was in the right place at the right time to get monster chips cheap, so, i dont' expect many others to replicate that. Those extra cores and threads do get used by a few games, that much i can say.

Elite Sage
    Nice few desktops in here recently. As soon as my GPU arives i'll post pics of it installed. I keep powering on my desktop even though it isn't working yet just to hear the pump spin up and see the water pumping through the system! I already want to add in a second loop

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well, it's installing windows now.

I ended up getting a new PSU because my older TX650 didn't have the connector for the CPU power. So I amazon primed me a TX850 yesterday. It came a few hours ago. I also got a 250GB Samsung 840 series SSD as well.
    So, It's all set up, and the OS is being installed. 9:03pm EST is when it started.

The only thing from the previous computer that I transferred over is the LG DVD/RW drive. Other than that, it's all new. First time in over a decade. I'll get the time it takes to get it running, and some benches done in a little bit.

edit:

wow, 13 mins, and Windows is installed, and up and running. Impressed.
    Last edited by F34R; 07-19-2013 at 03:16.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I think I'll be building myself a new Rig by the end of the year! I'm getting jealous of everyone upgrading theirs

Apprentice

PSN ID
    CMac-19
    Laptop:
    2013 MacBook Air 1.3GHz i5, 4GB Ram

Custom Build:
    i5-3570k @4.6GHz
    ASRock z77 Extreme4
    Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 @1050MHz
    8Gb Corsair Ballistix Sport
    128Gb Crucial M4 ssd
    500Gb HDD
    Zalman 9900max cpu cooler
    Windows 8 (Don't complain it was only $40, and it's actually not bad once you get used to it!)

Built it last christmas kinda wish I would've waited 'til I had money for a better gpu though

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Soon-to-be updated Macbook Pro with Retina Display (15''). Still waiting for Apple to announce the upgrade sometime in September.

That's when I'll strike.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Soon-to-be updated Macbook Pro with Retina Display (15''). Still waiting for Apple to announce the upgrade sometime in September.

That's when I'll strike.
    Those things are magical.

Master Guru
    Those things are magical.
    They sure are. Especially useful for me because I am an avid Final Cut Pro X user.

Administrator
    They sure are. Especially useful for me because I am an avid Final Cut Pro X user.
    Logic Pro X just got released like yesterday and it's pretty sweet (been waiting freaking forever for it). I like how FCPX is coming along. Kind of blew at first, now it's really awesome. Get as much RAM as you can cram into that thing. Cuts rendering times down a LOT.

Master Guru
    Logic Pro X just got released like yesterday and it's pretty sweet (been waiting freaking forever for it). I like how FCPX is coming along. Kind of blew at first, now it's really awesome. Get as much RAM as you can cram into that thing. Cuts rendering times down a LOT.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of Logic Pro X before.

And yes, I definitely won't repeat the same mistakes I did when I bought my iMac in 2010. 4GB of RAM makes editing 1080p footage a $#@!. I'll be sure to put in around 16GB this time around. Couple that with Final Cut running on a SSD drive and you're good to go.

Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of Logic Pro X before.

And yes, I definitely won't repeat the same mistakes I did when I bought my iMac in 2010. 4GB of RAM makes editing 1080p footage a $#@!. I'll be sure to put in around 16GB this time around. Couple that with Final Cut running on a SSD drive and you're good to go.
    Logic Pro is Apple's software for audio editing. It's absolutely amazing. I use it for music composition so this update is a welcome change.

And yeah... my cousin is a big FCPX user (1080p is all she works with)... and I finally got her to upgrade her MBP from 4 GB to 16 GB of RAM, and she cut her rendering time by several hours. The app is no longer choppy for her either... editing is smooth as butter. RAM truly does make a difference... especially for apps like this.

As for the SSD... the flash storage in the new MacBook Air has been benchmarked around 700-750 MB/sec... which is considerably faster than what's in the current Retina MacBooks (around 400-500 MB/sec)... so expect to see an equal or better leap in SSD performance in the new ones. It's going to basically be just stupid fast. Every app you click on will just explode open in the blink of an eye. Fun stuff!

Most current SSDs on the market are around 450-500 MB/sec... so I'm actually quite surprised that just the Airs have flash storage way faster than this. Very happy that SSDs are going down a lot in price, too. HDDs suck.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-19-2013 at 08:53.

Master Guru
    Logic Pro is Apple's software for audio editing. It's absolutely amazing. I use it for music composition so this update is a welcome change.

And yeah... my cousin is a big FCPX user (1080p is all she works with)... and I finally got her to upgrade her MBP from 4 GB to 16 GB of RAM, and she cut her rendering time by several hours. The app is no longer choppy for her either... editing is smooth as butter. RAM truly does make a difference... especially for apps like this.

As for the SSD... the flash storage in the new MacBook Air has been benchmarked around 700-750 MB/sec... which is considerably faster than what's in the current Retina MacBooks (around 400-500 MB/sec)... so expect to see an equal or better leap in SSD performance in the new ones. It's going to basically be just stupid fast. Every app you click on will just explode open in the blink of an eye. Fun stuff!

Most current SSDs on the market are around 450-500 MB/sec... so I'm actually quite surprised that just the Airs have flash storage way faster than this. Very happy that SSDs are going down a lot in price, too. HDDs suck.
    Getting all jittery over here, lol. I seriously cannot wait for the new Macbooks to hit. They BETTER be announced during Apple's next event as everything else would be utterly unacceptable.

Starting to dig Logic Pro X though. What's the learning curve for someone who has never been into that field before? Does it share similarities to the interface of Final Cut? I must admit that I'd be tempted to compose my own soundtrack or even audio bits for my future movie projects...

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Getting all jittery over here, lol. I seriously cannot wait for the new Macbooks to hit. They BETTER be announced during Apple's next event as everything else would be utterly unacceptable.

Starting to dig Logic Pro X though. What's the learning curve for someone who has never been into that field before? Does it share similarities to the interface of Final Cut? I must admit that I'd be tempted to compose my own soundtrack or even audio bits for my future movie projects...
    I would pretty much bet my life on the new MBPs getting announced at the next event. I'm also interested in getting one because my old windows laptop is starting to die.

Administrator
    They'll either announce it or just silently release them in the Apple Store as they've done in the past.

The interface isn't really similar... but they both share that dark theme. The interface is more like GarageBand on crack... it's pretty much the basic UI layout that most software of this type has... just a lot more streamlined and modern and uh... just absolutely freaking gorgeous:

The learning curve can take a while... but the app itself has quite a few tutorials for beginners as well as advanced users... and Apple has tutorials online. But like most Apple software, you can figure out a lot by just $#@!ing around with it.

24. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Elite Sage
    How is logic X? I've put logic studio 9 on my mothers macbook to test it out (where i work has hundreds of licenses for it) and while I do think it is probably the best production program i quite like Reason. Though that is because i'm yet to own my own Mac computer. I might treat myself to a MBP next year when my PC is finished.

I've finally got my fans working with my fan controller now. I bought 3 x PWM fans and they need 4 pin connections - quite a few on my motherboard - and the fan controller needed 3 pin connections. just bought some cable extensions and wired it up to the controller that way. I now have total control of my radiator cooling

This time next week i'll be ordering my GPU and can finally start playing on my desktop!! It's been a long time coming! One GTX780 to last me until my Birthday then i'll be going SLI on this $#@!.

Picked up a few games in the sale that i'm looking forward to running on maximum (Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Assassins Creed 3 and Farcry 3) As well as buying 3D Mark so i'll bench mark my current rig and then do the same against my new rig and see how much of an improvement it'll be!
    Last edited by BBK..; 07-19-2013 at 09:23.

Administrator

Your Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    How is logic X? I've put logic studio 9 on my mothers macbook to test it out (where i work has hundreds of licenses for it) and while I do think it is probably the best production program i quite like Reason.
    I haven't had a chance to play around with it much, but I can already tell it's worth the very long wait. Reason is pretty good as well. They both have their place. Oh and grats on the GPU. :]

@ Wrath: Logic Pro X is only $199. It used to cost a grip more than that. There's also 32 GB of additional content you can download for free. They're not messing around.

Thread Information