Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Why am I starting to get that gut feeling that GOW will be delayed? I suppose after X06 that will be gone.

When ever there is a drought of media I worry as to the progress of a title.
    They've just been very secretive, they announced the launch date 3 months after the last video. It's for the same reason there's no pre-release demo - The suspense/hype build up.
    $sql->Query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue != 0");
    0 rows returned

Member # 8 of the balanced gamers group

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    what scores would you think reviewers would give the games?
    I expect no lower than a 9.5 for both games from IGN. If they could give Halo 2 9.8, they can give GeOW and R: FoM even higher.
    Avatar credit goes to Mik2121 of NeoGAF

Master Poster

Average %
    R:FoM 8.8-9.2
    Gears 9.0-9.5

Elite Guru
    expect no lower than a 9.5 for both games from IGN. If they could give Halo 2 9.8, they can give GeOW and R: FoM even higher.
    Well if they gave Jade Empire 9.9 I'm sure GeOW is guaranteed a 9.5 at least.

Master Guru
    R:FoM 8.8-9.2
    Hellllooooooo????? You do know that Halo 2 got not a single 8. something? If that can happen, then there's absolutely no way R: FoM can have a different fate.
    Avatar credit goes to Mik2121 of NeoGAF

Master Poster

Halo 2 is over hyped, It's THE FPS game for consoles, thats why it didnt get under a 9.
    resistance isn't halo, quit trying to say it is. Its an above avarage shooter thats overhyped by fanboys.
    Resistance is not the 2nd coming of Halo.

look at the other shooters avg scores:
    Metroid Prime: 96.3%
    Metroid Prime echos: 91.9%
    Halo: 95.7%
    Halo2: 94.7%
    Timesplitters 2: 91.7%
    socom 2: 87.5%
    Rainbow six 3: 88.2%
    GRAW: 90.8%
    CoD2: 90.1%

I dont think its hard to believe that R:FoM would get a high 80 low 90
    I think gears will push low to mid 90s

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Why am I starting to get that gut feeling that GOW will be delayed? I suppose after X06 that will be gone.

When ever there is a drought of media I worry as to the progress of a title.

Kinda like what happened to Brute Force. I loved it but it just didn't have that something that would of made it special.
    Hence, the reason for the thread I created about two weeks ago querying for new Forza 2 and Gears of War media. Forza 2 was definitely delayed and obviously needed. Gears of War still hasn't shown any substantial new media that's in depth, but there are no confirmed delays for it yet. If it comes out November 17th I'd be worried that Gears would lack necessary polish to make it more than just a good or strong title to own. It's only about 2 months away from release which only gives 1.5 months development time since it takes a few weeks after going gold to copy and ship games. At this point, even Resistance looks like a more mature game than Gears of War. That's not to say that makes it a better game, but it would be for the better if Gears of War was delayed as it stands right now. Maybe they could work on increasing multiplayer to at least 16. I am rather curious as to what's the hold up.

Elite Sage
    Halo 2 is over hyped, It's THE FPS game for consoles, thats why it didnt get under a 9.
    resistance isn't halo, quit trying to say it is. Its an above avarage shooter thats overhyped by fanboys.
    Resistance is not the 2nd coming of Halo.

look at the other shooters avg scores:
    Metroid Prime: 96.3%
    Metroid Prime echos: 91.9%
    Halo: 95.7%
    Halo2: 94.7%
    Timesplitters 2: 91.7%
    socom 2: 87.5%
    Rainbow six 3: 88.2%
    GRAW: 90.8%
    CoD2: 90.1%

I dont think its hard to believe that R:FoM would get a high 80 low 90
    I think gears will push low to mid 90s
    Gears of War has been more hyped up than Resistance in that manner.
    Resistance has actually built up alot of hype since E3 2005, first it was a meh and people were lukewarm about it then a year later in E06 it looked like a generic shooter with fun to play with guns (still couldn't run a thread that would exceed 10 pages at the time), now it's the talking point of the PS3's launch.

Gears of War has always been hyped like heck since day one.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Master Poster

But now you see Playstation fans compairing it halo!
    come on.
    And theres been a reason behind GeoW hype, when E3 rolled around it showed it was worthy of it. winning Best Console Game, and Best Action Game. Already being put in the ranks of the Halo, MGS, GTA.

Resistance got a meh, it looks cool. But the fanboys are ZOMG this is Halo for PS3!
    sure it looks like a good, but Resistance is hyped for the sake of being hyped.

Forum Sage
    I must admit, i think resistance looks sweet. I love FPS's so i know i would love it. The thing is though, ive more or less played every fps ever made, and i probably played games as good if not better.

the only game i ever here is similar to gears of war is something called killswitch, which is supposedly really mediocre, bad ai and level design etc.

so for me ive got to go with GEARS GEARS GEARS, just becuase i know i will have played a BETTER FPS than resistance in my time, but not played anything like gears. So for me, im gonna go with gears, just becuase they are trying to push something new.

Lets hope they pull it off, i just watched a video hats in another post and its one of the best looking games i have ever seen (gears)

Resistance does look good though, and i do hope its better than Halo 1 or 2, as those games are pushing 5/3 years old.

halo 3 is another discussion altogether.

atleast i know ill be playing gears in november, and playing resistance on my birthday, means i can get a ps3 at launch now, got enough time to save up!
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Super Elite
    But now you see Playstation fans compairing it halo! come on. But the fanboys are ZOMG this is Halo for PS3!
    I really haven't seen any PS fans claiming it as some type of Halo killer or anything like that. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of 360 fans saying it's no Halo and the like so it seems as if they're making the actual comparisons more so than ps fans.

PSN ID: IComeInPeace
    Check out my ps3 podcast: www.angrymanontheside.blogspot.com
    Episode 28 now up!!!
    Chance to win psn cards

Super Bias Moderator
    Resistance fans remind me a lot of the people hyping up PDZ before the 360 launched. While PDZ is a pretty good game, it's not stellar like everyone makes it out to be. What most people failed to realize to realize is that it is a launch game, and launch notoriously don't deliver a "full" experience, and often leave much to be desired.

Wii # 2775 0778 3886 7989

Elite Sage
    Resistance got a meh, it looks cool. But the fanboys are ZOMG this is Halo for PS3!
    Actually Resistance only started to attract attention from PS fans after E3 when Insomiac dropped the framerate to 30FPS and added physics upped the graphics etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatRuOn View Post
    Resistance fans remind me a lot of the people hyping up PDZ before the 360 launched. While PDZ is a pretty good game, it's not stellar like everyone makes it out to be. What most people failed to realize to realize is that it is a launch game, and launch notoriously don't deliver a "full" experience, and often leave much to be desired.
    Yeah but PDZ had high expectations because of PDZ on the N64.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Super Bias Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd View Post
    Yeah but PDZ had high expectations because of *PD* on the N64.
    Which coincidentally, played identically to the original. It just goes to show you who FPS games have evolved, because using an older style method of control style and gameplay doesn't work. That doesn't elude to the fact that many things holding a game back from being AAA quality is the release window it's slated for.

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by exYle View Post
    I expect no lower than a 9.5 for both games from IGN. If they could give Halo 2 9.8, they can give GeOW and R: FoM even higher.
    I'm guessing Resistance will be an 8.8-ish game and Gears will be 9.2-ish.

Elite Guru

the 1up guys told they loved it so i doubt it will play as disruptor (the "old school" FPS)

dasimspe, while i agree that we live in a world with FAAAAR too many FPS games i would also like to add that resistance wont be as other FPS games, i'm sure MANY have pointed out that it will distinguish itself from others in many ways, a good example of that is the weapons, i dont have to go on, you have probably heard this by someone other many times. the vehicle(s) we saw was something extra aswell

but i totally understand if you want something else than a FPS

but shouldnt the fact the fact that Resistance is one of the few FPS's that launching alongside the long awaited PS3 really lift up the game?

as for rating of resistance....9.4

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatRuOn View Post
    Which coincidentally, played identically to the original. It just goes to show you who FPS games have evolved, because using an older style method of control style and gameplay doesn't work. That doesn't elude to the fact that many things holding a game back from being AAA quality is the release window it's slated for.
    Resistance was exactly widely accepted as a good game in the launch window for PS3 even after what they showed at E3 2006. Even I laughed at it and thought it was another brainless shooter with stupid AI controlled allies(didn't understand the hero moment concept). Since then, the game has rose to the occassion and is shaping up to be an awesome shooter for the Playstation 3 launch. Resistance wasn't just granted some mysterious right to passage based only marketing and "cool factor," it actually earned it through the progressive media they have released indicating their progress on it. What's got a lot of people hyped is the 40 person multiplayer and the varying weapons that will be in the game to offer depth of play over some of the other shooters people are used to. Much of the hype stems from the fact that the game is being developed by Insomniac, who is also behind the successful Ratchet and Clank series. Is there a problem with being excited about something you want in a game? Must people anxiously await some point of critical mass to claim something has acheived an "overhyped status" just to make it seem right to completely deflate and talk down the quality of the game?

Gears of War has a lot of hype associated with it simply because the game is made by Epic. Also Cliffy B seems to have risen to some sort of "cool" status where anything he says seems to hold a ton of weight even though no one understands well what he does for Gears of War and how well he's done it in the past with other games. Despite both reasons for what I feel makes this game hyped or overhyped, it doesn't make the game look worse to me simply because of it. It also doesn't mean the game will be worse overall. How the hype level of a game is absolutely meaningless unless you can point to actual lack of quality signs outside beyond the hype. Otherwise, the problem with the game failing is in the people's expectations, not the game itself.

Aleman
    Resistance's 40 person multiplayer is just hype. It will be a lagfest. Heck, most 16 player online games on consoles are lagfests.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
    Resistance's 40 person multiplayer is just hype. It will be a lagfest. Heck, most 16 player online games on consoles are lagfests.
    I've played Delta Force 1 on dialup with 32 players and there wasn't even lag. I've played Rainbox Six with 8 people and there was a crapton of lag. I've played Comanche 4 with 8 players and there was a lot of lag. I've played Counter Strike with 32 players with very little lag. Lag depends on the developer, the game they are creating, and the bandwidth each client has.

I take it you are betting on Insomniac failing at bringing a feature to consumers then?

Aleman
    Quote Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim View Post
    I take it you are betting on Insomniac failing at bringing a feature to consumers then?
    Yes, I'm guessing it will be very laggy with 40 players, but mostly due to client side bandwidth limitations.

Super Bias Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EbonySeraphim View Post
    Gears of War has a lot of hype associated with it simply because the game is made by Epic. Also Cliffy B seems to have risen to some sort of "cool" status where anything he says seems to hold a ton of weight even though no one understands well what he does for Gears of War and how well he's done it in the past with other games. Despite both reasons for what I feel makes this game hyped or overhyped, it doesn't make the game look worse to me simply because of it. It also doesn't mean the game will be worse overall. How the hype level of a game is absolutely meaningless unless you can point to actual lack of quality signs outside beyond the hype. Otherwise, the problem with the game failing is in the people's expectations, not the game itself.
    Resistance is something we've all seen countless times before. That's what is holding me back from being excited about it. That doesn't mean I wouln't give it a shot though. I'll be buying a PS3 at launch, before I sell it I'll check out some of the games for it. I'm not expecting much though, mostly because it's a new system launch. Playstation especially hasn't had the most star studded launches, historically.

Aleman
    Resistance will be a good FPS, don't get me wrong. At this point I'd just rather spend my time playing Gears or Vegas. Maybe that will change after TGS.

Master Guru
    After seeing a little teasers of different levels of Resistance I can safely say it will be on par with Gears Of War for me. one of the 1up people had a chance to play Resistance online (no LAN) and he said it's preety good, smooth framerate, he didn't experience no lag at all.

So for all the people that are saying 40 players online is going to be laggy, well of course it's going to be laggy from time to time, everygame has and would be.everyone said that Socom 3 would be extremely lagy because 32 players online and because it's Sony and they don't know how to make online games good as LIVE. but they did it and for free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    Exactly, unless you have dedicated servers 40 player games will be horrible. Resistance looks like a stong PS3 launch game, but it doesnt do much more then HL2 did 2 years ago. So what if it has a crap load of weapons? That just leaves more room for unbalanced gameplay. And these days for a FPS game to be successful you have to have balanced and competitive gameplay. Thats why Halo2 is leaps over every other console fps game, because they are the only console fps game at tournaments. They are MLG's primary competitive game.

If you replace the aliens with nazis, and give them COD3 weapons, then you practically have the same gameplay as COD. That tells me alot about the game, they didnt innovate gameplay like bungie did.

I also highly doubt they will have a online system half as good as Halo2, which was a last generation game. Will they have a party system? Matchmaking? Easy to manage custom games? Ranks? Clans? Highly customizable gametypes? Will you be able to go online and view stats for every game you've played(kills, deaths, medals, etc.). Will you be able to go online and view a game viewer to see where everyone moved during the game? I'm sure Resistance has some of those, but not all, just proving that a previous gen game still has a better mutliplayer setup.

Resistance is a great fps for Playstation standards, but if it was an xbox game it would be just another average fps. To me its just another WW2 game.

I'm also 90% sure COD3 will sell better then this game, maybe even get better reviews.

Game tree
    Sega Saturn>GB>GBC>GBA>Xbox>PSP>Xbox360>(PS3>Wii)
    PS3 funds: 500$

http://www.halowarsforums.net/

Super Bias Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by The House View Post
    After seeing a little teasers of different levels of Resistance I can safely say it will be on par with Gears Of War for me. one of the 1up people had a chance to play Resistance online (no LAN) and he said it's preety good, smooth framerate, he didn't experience no lag at all.

So for all the people that are saying 40 players online is going to be laggy, well of course it's going to be laggy from time to time, everygame has and would be.everyone said that Socom 3 would be extremely lagy because 32 players online and because it's Sony and they don't know how to make online games good as LIVE. but they did it and for free.
    Well, did they test it at home on their cable/dsl lines...or did they test it at their office on their T3 business lines.

My guess is that they can't take a PS3 home, so the latter.

The upload rates of american consumer lines are garbage, and really inhibit large player games on consoles.

Thread Information