Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Play

System requirements are low, it is possible to play on old computers with integrated graphics.

Unofficial trailer by Killat0n

Free & open to anyone just go to www.quakelive.com register an account and start playing
    Or alternatively you can use Steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/282440/

If new to Quake then you will need to know a few things such as abbreviations, alot of quakers use alot of abbreviations here are the important ones.

Game modes

FFA - Free For All
    DM - DeathMatch (same as FFA)
    TDM - Team DeathMatch
    CTF - Capture the Flag
    Insta - Insta Gib (1 hit 1 kill rail gun only)
    ICTF - Insta Gib Capture The Flag
    CA - Clan Arena
    FT - Freeze Tag
    RR - Red Rover

Movement
    SJ - Strafe Jump
    CJ - Circle jump
    CSJ - Circle Strafe Jump
    RJ - Rocket Jump
    PJ - Plasma Jump or Phone Jack

Weapons

Items

You will often see people type these in chat especially when playing CTF or TDM this means that the item is either available to pickup now or about to spawn.

GA - Green Armour (25)

YA - Yellow Armour (50)

RA - Red Armour (100)

MH/Mega - Mega Health/100 Health poweup

Quad - Quad damage power up.

Steam support.

The game is fully supported in steam now
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/282440/

Quake Live Demo tools (QLDT)

-----------------------------------------

Visual HUD

If you want to change the HUD fo Quake LIve its never been easier, easy to use point and click drag and drop HUD editor.
    http://visualhud.pk69.com/

More in-depth getting started guide at the quake live forums.
    www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?831-The-Ultimate-Quake-Live-Guide[/spoiler]
    Last edited by keefy; 09-20-2014 at 21:55. Reason: updated a few things since they went standalone, no browser needed

Forum Sage
    Just made an account "Throats".
    I'll give it ago!

Master Sage
    I made an account on it a while ago. Will give it a try sometimes again.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Ooh so this is a browser based Quake 3? I only used to play Rail only insta gib.

Forum Sage
    I've been waiting on the logo for a game for a while now, does that mean my connection is that bad?

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    Ooh so this is a browser based Quake 3? I only used to play Rail only insta gib.
    There is instagib game mode too, including ICTF.
    Updated OP to include it as a game mode.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-26-2011 at 22:35.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    There is instagib game mode too, including ICTF.
    Updated OP to include it as a game mode.
    Fanny tastic I'll definately check this out.

You know like on a film when the old guy gets bought back into a war and he comes back to life. This is what I feel like playing this again.
    Last edited by Noxia; 01-26-2011 at 23:34.

Supreme Veteran

Devpick - Jetpacks

DevPick Jan 28-30: JetPacks!

If you've ever doubted that you couldn't fly, well don't stop believin' because this week's DevPick is my personal favorite: JetPacks! This time it works a little differently, however. While everybody still spawns with the Flight powerup, the amount of flight is much less, only about 4 seconds. The difference is whenever you aren't holding down your Use Item button to fly, your JetPack will magically recharge back to 100%. Take a journey and live like a spaceman all weekend long, before it's too late.

JetPack CTF and FFA will be running on all weekend. Make sure you have a handy bind for Use Item in order to use your new found ability!
    bind key "+button2"

Source

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Been playing this on the Aussie servers since early beta. It's pretty damn good and playing some of the key levels over and over has gotten me to appreciate the level design.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    an account like when they first launched it. might jump on some time soon

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I'm a big Quake fan, but I hate playing games on my computer. I wish they released this on PSN or something.

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm a big Quake fan, but I hate playing games on my computer. I wish they released this on PSN or something.
    Its the only way to play Quake to be honest. Using a controller will severely gimp your ability even if playng agains other controller players. Bunnyhop wil be extremely hard to do.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Its the only way to play Quake to be honest. Using a controller will severely gimp your ability even if playng agains other controller players. Bunnyhop wil be extremely hard to do.
    Hey man, I was owning people at Unreal Tournament III, and that game supported the mouse and keyboard.

Also, bunnyhopping is annoying to do anyway. I'd rather die than bunnyhop!

Supreme Veteran
    Hey man, I was owning people at Unreal Tournament III, and that game supported the mouse and keyboard.

UT3 on PS3 didnt allow keyboards to play against controllers. Also UT3 was slowed down for the consoles.
    I think I found a rare breed, a lesser spotted non bunnyhopping Quaker.
    Quake is all about speed sure bunnyhoppings is a bug in Q1 but 2,3,4 and Live it is coded in.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-30-2011 at 01:08.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    UT3 on PS3 didnt allow keyboards to play against controllers. Also UT3 was slowed down for the consoles.
    I think I found a rare breed, a lesser spotted non bunnyhopping Quaker.
    Quake is all about speed sure bunnyhoppings is a bug in Q1 but 2,3,4 and Live it is coded in.
    Well, I don't know what to say. UT3 on the PS3 and Quake III on the Dreamcast were both a blast to play, and the Dreamcast didn't even have dual analogue sticks.

I love the speed, but using a mouse and keyboard just takes away the fun for me, especially the keyboard.

Forum Sage

Plus I doubt many consoletards own them for their console.

Elite Guru
    Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast was excellent. I ended up purchasing the mouse and keyboard combination so I could play against PC gamers to a relatively decent standard. Loved that game with my little Dreamcast 33.6k dial-up modem. For shooters, especially ones that play at high speed; a mouse and keyboard is essential in my opinion.

I've got an account for Quake Live that I've had since Beta. I'm a little worried about becoming incredibly addicted to it again though, Lol.

Supreme Veteran
    Had some great games ove the weekend mostly CTF this one was especially close, we were behind 4-5 with less than 20 seconds to go I had all but given up (as you will see when I respawned) but 1 player persisted grabbedf lag and capped with 1 second to spare forcing overtime.
    I guess in Quake its not over until the time runs out, 20 seconds is enough

Quality is a bit rubbish due to usign Fraps, cl_avidemo doesnt capture audio and I cannot be arsed capturing seperate and syncing it just for a short clip like this.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-31-2011 at 17:45.

Elite Guru
    Quality stuff. Each time I talk about Quake, I come one step closer to setting it back up - I'm actually just going to load it on this laptop to see what happens. Lol.

Even though it's 12 years old this year, Quake III Arena is still the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played. So much fun.

*Edit*

Can't remember my username of login e-mail address to recover my account. Started a new one: goo79

Last edited by *goo; 01-31-2011 at 17:53.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    The only thing I don't like about Quake Live is the absence of music. I forget if the PC version of Quake III Arena had music, but I know the Dreamcast version had an awesome soundtrack.

Supreme Veteran

Content update 02/02/2011

they just finished rolling out the latest update.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ebruary-2-2011

Today's update, QUAKE LIVE Premium Pak 6, introduces 3 new Premium Arenas to QUAKE LIVE, a resolution to the recent hitching that has occurred when leaving the game, improvements to the Duel experience (including persistent duel queues and scoreboard fixes), and adjustments to weapon balance within Team Deathmatch.

Premium Maps Added:

* Concrete Palace (Duel):

From the Pawel Chrapka, author of "Leviathan" and "Dreadful Place", comes a new creation inspired by one of his earlier works. Concrete Palace is a masterful midsized duel arena with one primary atrium connected to itself by a slew of teleporters and small halls.

* Dies Irae (TDM):

Aptly named for the thirteenth century Latin hymn (Day of Wrath) and also from Pawel Chrapka, Dies Irae is a superb Team Deathmatch, Clan Arena, and FreezeTag arena. The level encompasses a large central hub room that is home to Quad, a floating platform, and a teleporter exit that has been caged off prior to opening. Great fun, recommended for 8-10 players.

* Skyward (CTF):

Based on an original open-sourced design by the Q3 Community mapper 'ButterB', Skyward is a clean and stylish 'space map' set high up in the sky. There three elaborate floating platforms set the stage for a well-balanced mix of cover and open-air combat. With plenty of armor, rockets, and plasma at your disposal, the railgun plays a much smaller role in Skyward combat than typical for a space map, leading to more close range fighting while still having to worry about long range enemy sniper fire. Recommended for 4-8 players.

Game Updates:

* Fixed the quit lag/delay: Hitching on Windows systems will no longer occur when leaving the game. Furthermore, fixes have been made to properly shutdown the games sound system prior to quitting so that looped sounds cannot occur when leaving the game.
    * New Persistent Duel Play Queue:
    The duel queue now persists properly across map changes. Your position in the queue is also shown on the scoreboard.
    * Shotgun Pattern Calculation:
    Shotgun now fires in a fixed pattern on the server, what little per-pellet spread used to exist is now purely a client-side visual effect. 'cg_trueShotgun' cvar, default 0, will show the pattern that the server uses for collision when enabled, while 0 will keep the original behavior.
    * Minor Shotgun Balancing:
    All pellets for the shotgun will now do 5 damage (still 20 pellets, now 100 dmg total) in most gametypes. Spread has been increased from 900 to 1000.
    * Team Deathmatch Weapon Balancing:
    Machineguns and Shotguns both now do 4 damage per bullet in Team Deathmatch to reduce their dominance.
    * New Draw Item Pickup Multiplier:
    When a series of items are picked up, such as shards or 5hp bubbles, the Draw Item Pickup notification will now include a multiplier. (Works on all items, except power-ups.)
    * Fixed Player Head Bug:
    The correct head skin will be displayed for players who's personal model was set to a non-default player skin.
    * Fixed Team Balance Bug:
    Matches won't start if teams are unbalanced by 2 players, instead of 3.
    * Fixed UnnamedPlayer Exploit:
    Addressed various conditions that could result in a player losing his name and becoming UnnamedPlayer. Players will also now be kicked if their name gets changed to UnnamedPlayer.
    * Fixed Admin 'put' Command in Duel:
    No longer allow admin cmds to 'put' players onto the red or blue team in Duel, allow the choice of free or spec in non-team gametypes.
    * Fixed 'dropflag' Command During a Pause:
    Players may no longer issue the 'dropflag' command while a match is paused or in a timeout.
    * Added 'cg_itemFx' cvar:
    Change how items are rendered in the world. Default 7. 1 = bounce, 2 = rotate, 4 = scale when spawning
    * Added 'cg_simpleItemsRadius' cvar:
    Scale size of the icons when Simple Items is enabled.
    * Added 'cg_lightningImpactCap' cvar:
    Change the size of the lightning impact effect when impact is closer than x units, default 96 units.
    * Fixed Janet's Mipped Hair, the player model's hair will no longer improperly mip when picmip is used.
    * Game no longer crashes when attempting to 'give' an invalid item.
    * Slightly better flag positioning and image quality despite ignoring its proper aspect ratio.
    * Improved flag images, no longer get scaled on scoreboard. (only a slight improvement)
    * Fixed lightning stream bug that existed in third person while truelightning was enabled.
    * Fixed Premium scoreboard display when a player goes into spectator, forfeiting the match.
    * Reduced 'flag bounce' by half for dropped CTF flags.
    * Various maps and other graphical assets have had textures optimized for filesize/bandwidth usage, resulting in a smaller download.

We've also added a few quick cvars that may be more of interest to movie makers:

* Added 'r_fastSkyColor' cvar:
    Change the color of the sky when using fastsky (default 0x000000) This can be used in order to create a green screen to film against.
    * Added 'cg_smokeRadius_dust' cvar:
    Scale size of smoke plume in ground dust
    * Added 'cg_smokeRadius_flight' cvar:
    Scale size of smoke plume in flight trail
    * Added 'cg_smokeRadius_haste' cvar:
    Scale size of smoke plume in haste trail

Web Updates:

* Premium spawns will spawn and will only cycle through premium maps. Standard maps can still be callvoted as normal.
    * Changed sorting of server list, non-player launched premium servers should appear at the top.
    * Added timeout length and timeout amount to Start a Match controls. These are available under the Advanced Configuration.
    * Added frag limit, time limit, capture limit, and round limitto Start a Match controls. These are available under the Advanced Configuration.

Map Updates:

* Double Impact: Additional clipping added to walls in RA room.
    * Intervention: Teleporter trigger extended.
    * Ironworks: Fixed clipping on curved wall between pg and medkit.
    * Focal Point: Fixed unclipped ceiling, Fixed t-junction-like sparkles.
    * Overlord: Fixed 3 50HP bubbles that were stuck in the ground.

Supreme Veteran
    Quakelive premium servers are open for free to all so can play Freezetag and all premium maps for free until Tuesday.

QUAKE LIVE is back online, and we're running with free access to Premium servers from now until Tuesday
    http://twitter.com/quakelive

Elite Guru
    That was fun Keefy. A lot has changed since I last played online though! Can you give me some quick info on the CTF tweaks like 'Scout' etc?

I'm rusty as hell but think I'll get it back soon enough.

Supreme Veteran
    The only thing I don't like about Quake Live is the absence of music. I forget if the PC version of Quake III Arena had music, but I know the Dreamcast version had an awesome soundtrack.
    There is a soundtrack in Q3 and Qlive but its low quality by that I mean bitrate.

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    That was fun Keefy. A lot has changed since I last played online though! Can you give me some quick info on the CTF tweaks like 'Scout' etc?

I'm rusty as hell but think I'll get it back soon enough.
    Yea GG's I'm not exactly expert myself I only started Quake in December 2008 when I got a Beta Live account I was more into Half-Life Deathmatch.
    Have to do copy paste the CTF guide here I supose.

Theres a custom amp of "the edge" from Q2 maybe you played it?
    To play it you extract into (win7/vista) C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive
    then start a practice match open console and type map ontheedge-beta
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...-the-Edge-BETA
    Last edited by keefy; 01-31-2011 at 21:43.

Elite Guru
    Not to worry, found the manual section on their site.

Makes sense now.

Thread Information