Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will you buy the next Playstation Portable?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh yeah!

47 39.50%
  • Only if its less then $300

39 32.77%
  • Only if its less then $400

8 6.72%
  • I'll wait for a year...

18 15.13%
  • Uhh... hell noes!

3 2.52%
  • I'd rather get the 3DS

4 3.36%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    It seems even analyst are predicting a price tag of $299 to $349. Usually the prices that they predict are higher than what the consumer is predicting.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I will be getting one the day it comes out. I expect to pay $350 for it.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    If this thing can play ps2 games, It is a day one for me.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    If this thing can play ps2 games, It is a day one for me.
    Um lol what? Where did you get PS2 games from? Like do you think they are going to put them on the store like all the PS1 titles?

Friendship is Carrots
    PS2 games on the store would be awesome.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

SnowHawk
    I will bet they will add a Ps2 section for the NGP store.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    solid1snake67
    300.00 and no more, they better be smart about the price to outsell nintendo 3ds

Master Sage
    I'll get it eventually but i doubt it'd be this year.
    Most of my money will be going towards paying for my wedding.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Um lol what? Where did you get PS2 games from? Like do you think they are going to put them on the store like all the PS1 titles?
    I just want to be able to play ps2 games on this. That will be one of the biggest reasons for me to buy one.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Dedicated Member
    Day 1 buy for me, gives me an excuse to give my PSP to my older son.

Elite Sage
    Items User name style
    It all depends on cost for me. If I have the extra money just laying around then yes. I still have my white PSP-1000. :P
    Alive and well, running my own business and having fun. Visit it below;
    Letterpress Invitations and Stationary

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Ahh yes, if it is more than 300 there is no way I'm picking one up.

Christmas Thief
    I'll wait. It looks really awesome, and the more I think about it the cooler it sounds, but I have a bad feeling about the price.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Absolutely I will. So long as it doesn't carry a 400$ price tag. Even 350$ would be pushing it..

I probably won't get it day 1 just to avoid the crazy rush, unless I get it on Amazon.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    As long it's under $300, I will be getting it.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Absolutely I will. So long as it doesn't carry a 400$ price tag. Even 350$ would be pushing it..

I probably won't get it day 1 just to avoid the crazy rush, unless I get it on Amazon.
    I was just wonder, but what features on the PSP2 could potentially drive up the price of the PSP2 to be $400 or more? Is the price of the 3DS giving the appears that the PSP2 costs more to make than it actually does? Even though the 3DS is selling for $250+ Nintendo has stated that not only are they selling the device at a profit, but that they are selling it at a premium.

Keep in mind that Sony usually sales a new Playstation console/handheld at a lose and I believe they stated that they plan to do the same with PSP2.

Would the 5' OLED screen drive up costs anymore than the backlit 3.53' Autostereoscopic and 3.03' LCD screens the 3DS has? Could the CPU/GPU in the PSP2 cost so much more than the ones in the 3DS that Sony would have to sale the device at $400 or more?

I don't know how much something like 3G would be to add to a device, but it seems Sony is going to offer a version without it. Perhaps I am overlooking it, but I don't see anything else that would really drive up costs that much. This isn't the same case as with the PS3 where Sony had billions invested in the Cell processor and Blu-ray.

$400 would also be within $100 of what they priced the PS3(20GB) at launch. I don't think the cost to manufacture the PSP2 will be anywhere near as much as it did with the PS3.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 01-28-2011 at 05:05.

Forum Elder
    I'm buying a NGP day one ! no question. I was impressed with the product overall.

Nice to see Sony coming back fierce with a classy product, incredible graphics, tons of cool functionalities, psn support, trophys, touch screen + touch in the back for lots and lots of very creative games... If priced correctly, i think Sony have a great product on their hands. I saw a couple of trailers with killzone, uncharted, lbp... on a portable system looking like PS3 games made my jaw drop.

I'm sold !

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    Perhaps I am overlooking it, but I don't see anything else that would really drive up costs that much.
    Two cameras + touch screen backplate + PS3 Power

No idea what the price will be but Sony had said that they plan to profit off it day 1 and they expect it to be in a different market to the 3DS due to it's power which leads to me think they will not be looking at the 3DS pricing.

Then again 3DS is a device that can display 3D without glasses so i would expect that to come with a hefty price tag on its own.

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post

No idea what the price will be but Sony had said that they plan to profit off it day 1 and they expect it to be in a different market to the 3DS due to it's power which leads to me think they will not be looking at the 3DS pricing.

Then again 3DS is a device that can display 3D without glasses so i would expect that to come with a hefty price tag on its own.
    I spoke to some people at GAME and currently the 3DS full pre-order price is $400, which is insane since it looks so much less impressive than the NGP... So hopefully that will come down, if not NGP will be prrettyyy damn expensive

Friendship is Carrots
    Nintendo is turning into Apple. Expensive hardware that somehow still sells.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001

The 3DS has 3 cameras and a touch screen. It is probably cheaper for Sony to have the cameras than it is for Nintendo due to Sony manufacturing digital cameras, sensors, etc.

I don't believe the touchpad on the back is that expensive of a technology and near PS3 level power isn't really that expensive these days. A price tag of $400 would be nearly as much as the PS3 was in 2006 when it launched, I doubt it would be priced that close to the original price of the PS3.

I could have sworn I read somewhere where Sony stated they would be selling it at a loss, but he doesn't necessarily is going to be sold at a profit. It appears Sony is introducing a new memory stick format to use with the PSP2. The profit he was talking about could come from selling these and other PSP2 software/accessories/etc..

These 2 quotes make me believe that they do see the 3DS as competition and being vocal about it unlike they did with the PSP(where they stated they were not in competition with the DS).

Andrew House: I can't put a ballpark on it in terms of figures, but I think what I would say is that we will shoot for an affordable price that's appropriate for the handheld gaming space.
    Andrew House: Clearly in the dedicated portable space, we will be in competition with 3DS.
    I spoke to some people at GAME and currently the 3DS full pre-order price is $400, which is insane since it looks so much less impressive than the NGP... So hopefully that will come down, if not NGP will be prrettyyy damn expensive
    The 3DS is $250 in the US. On GAMEs website they have the 3DS for 219.99(~$350), Amazon UK has the 3DS for 202.00(~$320) and there are some places that have it for a little cheaper. Retailers in the UK price the 3DS a lot cheaper and still make a profit. Supposedly Nintendo is only charging retailers 173(~$275) for the 3DS to in the UK.

Edit: Sorry just noticed you are from Australia after ready Bitbydeath post. When you mentioned GAME I assumed UK for some reason.

I guess the above can still be useful to show that retailers mark up the price when they are given the freedom to do so.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 01-28-2011 at 06:03.

Master Sage
    That wouldn't surprise me, Australians pricing on anything is always incredibly marked up.

You'd think with the american dollar being pretty much equal to that of the australian dollar everything would be cheaper. But no...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke
    The 3DS has 3 cameras and a touch screen. It is probably cheaper for Sony to have the cameras than it is for Nintendo due to Sony manufacturing digital cameras, sensors, etc.
    I did not know that.

I don't believe the touchpad on the back is that expensive of a technology and near PS3 level power isn't really that expensive these days. A price tag of $400 would be nearly as much as the PS3 was in 2006 when it launched, I doubt it would be priced that close to the original price of the PS3.
    Hopefully not, i don't even think the touchpad is a great idea to begin with but maybe i'll be proven wrong later. It might be useful as a mouse replacement for games like RTS's but otherwise i don't think it'd be that great to use in a game.

I could have sworn I read somewhere where Sony stated they would be selling it at a loss, but he doesn't necessarily is going to be sold at a profit. It appears Sony is introducing a new memory stick format to use with the PSP2. The profit he was talking about could come from selling these and other PSP2 software/accessories/etc..
    This quote here from the Andrew House interview doesn't really give an answer except that he would like for it to be profitable right off the bat.

Eurogamer: Are you prepared to sell at a loss to do that?

Andrew House: I think ideally we would want to have our hardware be profitable, in addition to our software. We've experienced both sides and we know which one we like to be on!
    These 2 quotes make me believe that they do see the 3DS as competition and being vocal about it unlike they did with the PSP(where they stated they were not in competition with the DS).
    It was this quote below that i had been referring too but it could still go either way.

Andrew House: I think that we feel very confident that we have very sufficiently differentiated ourselves from the competition with spec, and in particular the connectivity and network features and interfaces that are all pretty revolutionary. That will set this device apart.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 01-28-2011 at 05:56.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    It was this quote below that i had been referring too but it could still go either way.
    Looks at the question to that answer.

Eurogamer: But 3DS is, at the end of the day, a fairly high-spec, high-tech, second-generation handheld launching into the market at roughly the same time. It's got to be a close fight.
    I could be wrong, but to me it seems that it is being asked what would make a consumer buy a PSP2 over the competition(3DS in this case).

Edit: Found where I read that the PSP2 was going to be sold at a loss. Eurogamer said they were told that Sony will "make a loss" on the PSP2(probably from the same source that told them about the battery life).

Sony has stated that they believe the price of the PS3 was high, they also stated the price of the PSP2 will be affordable. If you consider the two statements, it wouldn't make sense to price the PSP2 near what the PS3 was at launch.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 01-28-2011 at 06:31.

To save multiple quoting, Ryunosuke, that was pretty helpful info. And I also just spoke to a GAME employee on the phone who said the price may come down to $350 AUD

PSU Technical Advisor
    The hardware inside the PSP2 is very potent, even by netbook standards its 'good'. Nintendo marks up their hardware far and away past what it actually costs to manufacture.

And I'm not just talking "reasonable level of profits" high either. So far as I'm concerned they rip people off who are stupid enough to buy anything with the word "Nintendo" stuck on it. In addition to this, they don't seem to treat developers all too wonderful either from what a few people here have let on. Not that I find this overly surprising in any way either.

What would drive up the cost of the PSP?

3G\WiFi\Blutooth components, the 5in OLED touch screen @ 540p, Quad ARM, Quad GPU, Memory (which is, at the very least, 3x more than the 3DS and probably of a higher grade), cameras, touchpad, motion sensing...

In terms of the silicon involved on the performance side of things, you're probably looking at (piece for piece) well over twice the expense. CPU for CPU, GPU for GPU, Memory for Memory.

Another thing to consider is the battery in the PSP2 is probably alot more robust, and those aren't the cheapest things in the world either.

And for the record, no, I don't think a "3D screen with a parallax barrier" warrants a 250-300$ price tag for the 3DS.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-28-2011 at 06:39.

Thread Information