Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 16 111 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash

Official METAL Thread

I will always be a metalhead. Truly, the music of the gods. I know i cannot be the only one here so i wanted to get a grasp on what kind of metal everybody likes. So just post your favorite Metal band of 2010. Any Great shows in 2010? Albums that splattered your brain matter on the wall? Any particularly brutal riffs or lyrics? Hopefully the community will be able to come to a consensus and we can declare the best metal of 2010!

My nomination is the album Exoplanet by the the Contortionist.
    Last edited by btbam; 01-29-2011 at 06:17. Reason: Create additional suggestions for metaldome

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    I went to the Jagermeister concert not too long ago. It kicked all kinds of ***. Anthrax and Megadeth were my favorite of the 3 that played.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Overall my favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold. I have seen them in concert twice and it was absolutely amazing. Although Nightmare was not their best album and far from the best album of the year. But it was a really good album. I really off the top of my head can't think about the best album of the year. 2 very strong albums IMO would have to be the Dethklok-Dethalbum 2 and Atreyu-Congregation of the Damned. I'm with you though, metal head all the way.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 01-29-2011 at 06:01.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Overall my favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold. I have seen them in concert twice and it was absolutely amazing. Although Nightmare was not their best album and far from the best album of the year. But it was a really good album. I really off the top of my head can't think about the best album of the year. 2 very strong albums IMO would have to be the Dethklok-Dethalbum 2 and Atreyu-Congregation of the Damned. I'm with you though, metal head all the way.
    How do you like the new drummer? Arin Ilejay.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    How do you like the new drummer? Arin Ilejay.
    ****! Just broke the news to me tbh. I haven't heard anything about it. Last thing I heard was that Mike Portnoy was planning on staying on full time. I'll have to check out some videos later on him. I can't say that I have ever heard anything about him or Confide, his band. Have you? Thanks for update. I usually hear news like this from Octane on Sat radio but haven't heard a peep.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    ****! Just broke the news to me tbh. I haven't heard anything about it. Last thing I heard was that Mike Portnoy was planning on staying on full time. I'll have to check out some videos later on him. I can't say that I have ever heard anything about him or Confide, his band. Have you? Thanks for update. I usually hear news like this from Octane on Sat radio but haven't heard a peep.
    The Metal Gods have bestowed you with knowledge and you rejoiced. Portnoy was always just a temp drummer. It was rumored a while back he was permanent cus he left his band for whatever reason but A7X never intended him to be permanent.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    The Metal Gods have bestowed you with knowledge and you rejoiced. Portnoy was always just a temp drummer. It was rumored a while back he was permanent cus he left his band for whatever reason but A7X never intended him to be permanent.
    Yeah I kind of just assumed that since he left Dream Theater. I knew he came on as a temp but when he left DT it looked pretty concrete. Otherwise I have no doubt that Arin is good. Those guys are very talented and I don't think they would just go with anybody.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    I also want to throw Devin Townsend in the ring. One of the most underrated musicians around. He had some popularity with SYL but his solo projects (Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project) never got much notoriety. He has 2 albums coming out in may this year he recorded back to back. One or both is a double if i'm not mistaken so we will have some fantastic metal this summer.

Forum Sage
    Gotta say, Metal wise, nothing caught my attention last year.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Portnoy left Dream Theater?

Forum Guru
    They didn't put anything out in 2010, but Between the Buried and Me is mostly what I've been listening to lately. Their 2009 album The Great Misdirect is probably my favorite album, followed by Colors. I just love their diverse sound, going from heavy as hell to soft and chill. I'm also a big fan of their odd time signatures/progressive style.

If you're into sweet guitar stuff and a mix of jazzy stuff and metal, you should check out Animals as Leaders (if you haven't already). Came out in 09, though. It's an instrumental solo project by Tosin Abasi, who I believe is currently playing with Born of Osiris.

As a matter of fact, most of the bands I listen to last put out stuff in 09 (BTBAM, Animals as Leaders, Lamb of God, August Burns Red). I can think of a few good albums from 2010. Parkway Drive - Deep Blue, As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise, The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis, Baroness - The Blue Record...

I'm sure the new Protest the Hero album will be pretty good, but it doesn't come out for a few months. I'm not crazy about their vocals, but their music is sweet (similar to my feelings about The Human Abstract's album Nocturne).

Apprentice
    Hmm, toughy.

Avantasia's The Wicked Symphony & Angel Of Babylon were pretty good. Awesome cluster**** of guest musicians and vocalists with some memoriable tracks.

Then there is Dream Evil - In the Night, which wasn't their best work but "The Ballad" is ****ing awesome!

Blind Guardian - At The Edge of Time wasn't too bad either, not their best work but some wicked tracks from "Sacred Worlds" to "Wheel of Time", "Ride into Obsession" and "A Voice in the Dark".

Kamelot's wasn't noticeable unfortunately :/
    Rhapsody of Fire's was your standard epic cheesiness..which you love and hate.\

Now White Wizzards Over the Top was classic heavy metal ala Iron Maiden. No down tuning, high pitched screaming vocals. Highly underrated or known.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Portnoy left Dream Theater?

Yeah he wanted an indefinate hiatus so the band said bye. They've announced they have a replacement but not who. I imagine that will come with the first studio update.

As for the rest, I would also agree 2009 was a far stronger year for metal but i did like the new blind guardian, great power metal hehe

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I was a bit shocked when Portnoy left. They have been together for a long time. It was a bit unexpected but I'm sure they will find a good replacement. That is if they haven't already.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    I was a bit shocked when Portnoy left. They have been together for a long time. It was a bit unexpected but I'm sure they will find a good replacement. That is if they haven't already.
    They have had a replacement for some time, they just haven't released the name yet. Its gonna be a bit odd, but portnoy had way too much control over the band. He decided the set list, was a primary producer, and a primary lyricist. I'd honestly look forward to allocating those duties to the rest of the band.

Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim
    They have had a replacement for some time, they just haven't released the name yet. Its gonna be a bit odd, but portnoy had way too much control over the band. He decided the set list, was a primary producer, and a primary lyricist. I'd honestly look forward to allocating those duties to the rest of the band.
    I don't know. I like members that have artistic control. Steve Harris does in Iron Maiden.

I think Dream Theater will lose something without Portnoy.

Is being tested on!
    My favorite one of 2010 is Abandon All Ships. Though to be honest they are post-hardcore. Still worth checking out. Also another good one would be Dimmu Borgir. All depending on how screamy you like it.

Thanks to Kwesnoth.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanise_ View Post
    I don't know. I like members that have artistic control. Steve Harris does in Iron Maiden.

I think Dream Theater will lose something without Portnoy.
    I agree members should have control, but not a single member should monopolize control. I don't doubt that Jimmy Page as producer created the unique sound of Led, but there are other members in the band that deserve a greater say.

Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim
    I agree members should have control, but not a single member should monopolize control. I don't doubt that Jimmy Page as producer created the unique sound of Led, but there are other members in the band that deserve a greater say.
    I think the other members of Dream Theater did get a say. Everything is really varied and Petrucci is allowed to shred when and where he wants for example. Portnoy had a very good reason for controlling the setlists.

Metal wasn't all that great for me in 2010. 2011 looks much better. New Arch Enemy album, new Nightwish Album, new Within Temptation album, new Opeth album etc.

Currently listening to some Epica. Love their acoustic stuff.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    I think the other members of Dream Theater did get a say. Everything is really varied and Petrucci is allowed to shred when and where he wants for example. Portnoy had a very good reason for controlling the setlists.

Metal wasn't all that great for me in 2010. 2011 looks much better. New Arch Enemy album, new Nightwish Album, new Within Temptation album, new Opeth album etc.

New Opeth will be awesome. +2 Devin Townsend albums, and quite possibly, new Tool, if they ever decide to do anything, its been rumored for 2 years now lol. I can do without nightwish, too cheesy, even for me. I think we will also see a Between the Buried and Me EP and possible a new cynic album. I know they were recording, not sure at what point in the process they are, but a 2011 release is reasonable
    Last edited by btbam; 02-01-2011 at 03:12. Reason: stuff i rememberd

Apprentice
    Suppose to see new Symphony X and Edguy album's out this year!

I have a lot of faith in the Symphony X album to live up to the past ones, the Edguy worries be a bit. The'r last album, along with Avantasia a bit, strayed away from their roots a bit to much imo. A bit to rock poppy style. Be wicked for them to go back to Hellfire days and the like.

Edit: Just checked some news and Ralf Sheepers (Primal Fear vocalist) is suppose to have his own solo album out this year with a ton of guests on it. Looking forward to it, he's got a wicked high pitch voice similar to The Rippers.
    Last edited by Tyrannicide; 02-01-2011 at 03:29.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19

Good to hear. I really like Within Temptation. Sharon can wail as well as good solid music.

Elite Sage
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare is good, probably not the best though. Just a solid album.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannicide View Post
    Avantasia's The Wicked Symphony & Angel Of Babylon were pretty good. Awesome cluster**** of guest musicians and vocalists with some memoriable tracks.
    Found this guy's music a few weeks ago and I'm hooked completely, they're fantastic albums

Just had a listen to The Contortionist, why do they have to scream? Oh why oh why? The music is amazing then they ruin it with incoherent garbage .

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelis View Post
    Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare is good, probably not the best though. Just a solid album.

Found this guy's music a few weeks ago and I'm hooked completely, they're fantastic albums

Just had a listen to The Contortionist, why do they have to scream? Oh why oh why? The music is amazing then they ruin it with incoherent garbage .
    Haha it's not for everyone. Just be thankful, the singer they had 2 years ago was ghastly.

Elite Member
    I like Disturbed's Asylum album. I admit that it had to grow on me though, but it only took a couple plays. I was able to catch the Rockstar Uproar Festival and that was amazing, A7X and Disturbed put on a hell of a show.
    If you add me on PSN, please say you are from here!

Thread Information