Latest PSU headlines:

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Devin is all over the place. He ranges from really heavy metal like that song to prog rock to alternative to ambient and acoustic.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Cheers I'll check them out, that video was pretty good!

Always keen for some new bands to get into.. lately I haven't been listening to too much but I've gotten into Mastodon (via ixion's posts) as well as Becoming the Archetype, War of Ages and its not metal... but Linkin Park's new album actually isn't as horrible as the last one
    Mastodon has grown on me even more since I first listened to them. I didn't really like Leviathan when I first heard it, but now I love it.

3. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Master Poster
    Haven't been to a metal thread on here in a while, but I came home from my 8th Graspop Metal Meeting edition this week and I'd like to take the time to make you all jealous.

Here's some noteworthy bands I saw there:

- Day 1:

SkeletonWitch: Mix of thrash and black metal. They either play fast, very fast or ridiculously fast. An explosive show, what a suckerpunch to start the day with.

Amon Amarth: They've never really convinced me but they were very good. Got the crowd going.

Slayer: Not the best I've seen them. Some moshpits but it only really got going by the time Angel of Death and Raining Blood came around. Still fun though, and they played well.

Lamb of God: Brutal. It was carnage near the front of the audience. Not really a fan but they know how to play live. Very good show.

Ozzy Osbourne: I don't care how messed up he is, I had a brilliant time. Okay his singing probably isn't good enough anymore, but I was just partying and screaming along. Great Ozzy classics like Bark at the Moon, Mr. Crowley, Suicide Solution, I Don't Know, Crazy Train, etc. At one point Geezer Butler joined in and they played War Pigs, Iron Man, Rat Salad, N.I.B., Paranoid, ... Also featured Slash and Zakk Wylde during some songs. All in all an epic show.

Other bands I saw: Godsmack, Unearth, Possessed, Aborted, Sacred Reich

- Day 2:

Thin Lizzy: It's really Thin Lizzy MK. II, but that can't ruin the fun. I just love Thin Lizzy, and while it's definately not the same wihout Phil Lynott, I'm just grateful I still got to see them. All the classics you'd expect, but I'd hoped for Bad Reputation and Chinatown as well. Still, good show.

Megadeth: Very, very good. Not much interaction with the audience but Mustaine was in great form. Musically a great success.

Twisted Sister: Unexpectedly, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Dee Snider is a brilliant entertainer and played the crowd wonderfully. 50,000+ people were giving it their all. On We're Not Gonna Take It we just kept singing the refrain and they played it again after the song was over. And then again one more time! It was one huge party. Young, old, heavy metal, hardcore, black metalheads, doesn't matter, everyone joined in. I'd never seen anything like it before.

Dimmu Borgir: Some black metal 'elitists' don't like them but I think they've made some great stuff. They managed a great and extreme show here.

Other bands: Primal Fear, Death Angel, All Shall Perish

- Day 3:

Europe: I was just waiting for The Final Countdown, just like everyone else!

Machine Head: Very strong show, they blew everyone away. The crowd went wild, lots a mosh pits and headbanging going on.

Behemoth: Bruuuutal. They just destroy you live.

Motörhead: Fantastic stuff as usual. Everyone in the scene has tremendous respect for Lemmy, he can't do anything wrong.

Children of Bodom: Great show as well. Not the best sound, but they made up for it with their energy.

Guns N' Roses: I don't care much for the "great Axl Rose show", but at least his voice was good. They'd started 20 minutes early so I missed Welcome to the Jungle (only a 5 minute break from the end of Children of Bodom on another stage), I mean WTH? And waaay too many new songs and soulless solos of mercenary musicians. The show lasted almost 3 hours but I was so bored I left for the after party drinking sessions after an hour. Quality over quantity please.

Other bands: Emmure, Killswitch Engage, Gojira

That's about it! A very good edition, even if it wasn't the strongest line-up. It was exhausting but I had a fantastic time. If you ever have the opportunity, you should really visit the festival. I consider it the best Metal festival in the world after the epic Wacken Open Air (nothing can beat it).

Oh and big thumbs up for the poster who put up the Dissection video on the previous page. I am a massive, massive fan of their first 2 albums. Especially Storm of the Light's Bane which I consider the pinnacle of 90's black/death metal in Scandinavia.

5. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Dude awesome! There is some amazing bands there, i LOVE Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God live. Brilliant!!

Machine Head.. I saw them at Soundwave in Sydney earlier this year and I wasn't a fan til I heard them live. and WOW. blew me away now I love them

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Great list right there. I would make a coupe of amendments though. Gojira deserves a whole post to itself. And i would completely destroy guns n roses. Slash is a great guitarist, and his solo work is bad ass. But 1 i actually hate axle rose's singing, i also hate his prima donna attitude. Dude can jump off a cliff for all i care.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Great list right there. I would make a coupe of amendments though. Gojira deserves a whole post to itself. And i would completely destroy guns n roses. Slash is a great guitarist, and his solo work is bad ass. But 1 i actually hate axle rose's singing, i also hate his prima donna attitude. Dude can jump off a cliff for all i care.
    Yeah sorry about Gojira, they played at the same time as Behemoth (massive error on the festival's part), and I only watched a few songs near the back before switching to Behemoth. So I couldn't really make a good judgement.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Lamb of God are always good live, lets hope Randy gets out of that manslaughter fiasco in Prague!

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Warrior View Post
    Yeah sorry about Gojira, they played at the same time as Behemoth (massive error on the festival's part), and I only watched a few songs near the back before switching to Behemoth. So I couldn't really make a good judgement.
    No problem bro. I'm just a huge Gojira fan. I've never seen em live, but their albums ****ing rock.

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Anyone a fan of Fear Factory? Just started listening to them now. I'm pretty picky with my music, not sure if I like them or not lol

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Not too heavy but went to see SoundGarden at Hyde Park yesterday, ****ing awesome!!

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    So what's everyone think of the new Hellyeah Album?

I ****ing love it! Been listening to it non-stop at work since last Wednesday (Picked it up Tuesday after work)
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Ehhhh. not really a fan. Just kinda standard music. Metal by the numbers.

16. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    I love BTBAM's spacey/progressive sections, but I find their heavy sections to be nothing special TBH. And they don't mesh at all with the progressive sections. That's why I never decided to really get into them.

Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    So what's everyone think of the new Hellyeah Album?

I ****ing love it! Been listening to it non-stop at work since last Wednesday (Picked it up Tuesday after work)
    Eh, they're just a bro band. Nothing special.
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-28-2012 at 19:22.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Wow, this is getting out of hand...

Lamb of God have been forced to cancel the rest of their tour as singer Randy Blythe remains imprisoned in the Czech Republic, despite posting bail.

The singer is currently in jail in Prague, Czech Republic, despite already posting bail of four million korun (£125,000). After a challenge by prosecutors, that was doubled to 8m koruna (£250,000). Lamb of God have managed to collect the amount – partly with the help of fans - but in court this week, prosecutors again challenged the musician's release.

Prosecutors have deemed Blyth a "flight risk". Although they would permit him to fly home to the US, they fear he may not return for trial. However, Blythe's lawyer Martin Radvan has said he would co-operate with Czech authorities: "He cannot afford to simply disappear. As a world-renowned artist… if he wants to continue performing, he will have to return. And he wants to return because he believes he is not guilty of anything he has been charged with," The Guardian reports.

Blyth's arrest stems from an incident that took place on May 24, 2010 at the band's show at Club Abaton in Prague. According to reports, a fan jumped up onstage where a tussle ensued in which the fan, known only as Daniel N, was injured. N, who fell from the stage and hit his head on the venue's concrete floor, later died, reportedly as a result of those injuries.

Earlier this month (July 1, Blythe spoke for the first time since his arrest. He said that he couldn't remember the incident that had led to his arrest and only recalled a few scratchy details about the night in question.

Asked about the incident, he said: "I don't know anything about any sort of incident [that allegedly took place during the concert]. I remember very few details about the show, mainly because I have played a lot of concerts [before and after the gig in question]."

He continued: "I just remember that the stage at the club was very small, and we barely managed to fit our equipment on there. Also, apparently there was a security guard there because many people climbed onto the stage - including one small boy, in particular, but I could be mixing up details with what happened at other clubs."

Blythe then denied that he had attacked anyone and said that during any such incident he would have been merely protecting himself. He added: "In any case, I did not attack anyone. The only way I could have come into contact with anyone from the audience was if I was protecting myself from [people bumping into me when climbing on the stage]."

Blythe faces up to 10 years in prison if found guilty. He will stand trial later this summer

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Free Blythe!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Went to check out Trivium, Killswitch Engage, 5 Finger Death Punch. Kick ass show! Killswitch stole the show!
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

21. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Want more Devin Townsend? I KNOW YOU DO! Got a new album Epicloud to be released mid Sept. Get your preorders in folks! You can expect songs such as KINGDOM!

BEHOLD! MY WORD! A STUDIO UPDATE!

This is going to be a great album.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    OK, I've listened to a lot of metal albums recently....

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Genre: Black Metal

Released: 1994

Rating: 4/5

This is considered one of the quintessential Black Metal classics, and while I feel it's slightly overrated due to the suicide and murder of two of the band members, it's still a great album and solid representation of what Black Metal is all about.

Demilich - Nespithe

Genre: Technical Death Metal

Released: 1993

This is one of the most unique albums you'll ever listen to. First of all, the vocals are one-of-a-kind. No other vocalist sounds like this guy, as he basically emits a deep incomprehensible burping sound. But it makes sense in the grand scheme of things as the music is very twisted, so the overall product is something very cosmic and interesting. Definitely go into this album with an open mind.

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

Genre: Heavy Metal

Released: 1980

Rating: 4.5/5

This is Black Sabbath's first album with Dio on the mic and it's arguably their best album, with every song providing quality. The opener, "Neon Knights", sets the tone from the start that Sabbath is now more uptempo and less doomy than before. It's a really fun song, but my personal favorites are the title song and "Die Young". Both of these songs include some progressive, atmospheric elements that I really enjoy.

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

Genre: Heavy Metal

Released: 1981

There's nothing different here, as this is basically a continuation of Heaven And Hell, but that's certainly not a bad thing, as I feel it's on the same level. "Sign Of The Southern Cross" is a 7-minute epic that quickly became one of my favorite Sabbath songs, mainly due to the badass main riff.

Dio - Holy Diver

Genre: Heavy Metal, Power Metal

Released: 1983

This album was the beginning of Power Metal. There's not much to say here, as this is just an extremely solid heavy metal album, mainly due to Ronnie James Dio's powerful vocals, the exhilarating pacing, and memorable songwriting.

Dio - The Last In Line

Genre: Heavy Metal, Power Metal

Released: 1984

Rating: 3.5/5

This is basically a poor man's version of Holy Diver. It's worth checking out though, as there's a few great songs on this album, most notably the title song, which is often considered Dio's best song. Most of the other songs are still fun and exhilarating, if not slightly less memorable.

Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Genre: Thrash Metal

Released: 1986

Here you'll find a very solid and satisfying thrash album, but none of the songs are particularly mind-blowing. Every song is good though and there's a decent sense of variety.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Released: 1990

This album basically takes what Peace Sells did, but went to another level. The longer songs on this album are especially great.

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction

Genre: Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal

Released: 1992

This was Megadeth's attempt at mainstream success. The songs are slower and there's a greater emphasis on vocal melodies. Overall, it sounds tamer than previous releases, but it's still a very enjoyable listen for what it is.

Megadeth - Endgame

Released: 2009

Considered Megadeth's best album since Countdown To Extinction, this album brings back the speed that Megadeth fans love, all while incorporating a more modern sound. This is my personal favorite of the four albums I listened to.

Amon Amarth - Versus The World

Genre: Melodic Death Metal

Released: 2003

This band really clicks with me. Brutal, epic, and melodic. Some of the faster songs end up sounding a bit similar, but there's still good variety here. I especially love Johan Hegg's vocals, as he might be the best death vocalist I've come across yet. He uses many different pitches and they all sound perfect.
    Last edited by Ixion; 08-06-2012 at 04:24.

24. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Awesome post Ix, I'll be sure to check them all out sooner or later. That band which has vocals of a deep incomprehensible burping sound that makes sense in the scheme of things is incredibly strange but also intriguing.

Via Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Awesome post Ix, I'll be sure to check them all out sooner or later. That band which has vocals of a deep incomprehensible burping sound that makes sense in the scheme of things is incredibly strange but also intriguing.
    Thanks DV.

Just to clarify though, I'm not necessarily recommending all of these albums. I'm just letting you guys know what I've been listening to.

And out of those albums, I'd say The Last In Line and Countdown To Extinction aren't exactly "must hear" albums. But they're definitely solid albums that are worth listening to if you like the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Thanks DV.

Just to clarify though, I'm not necessarily recommending all of these albums. I'm just letting you guys know what I've been listening to.

And out of those albums, I'd say The Last In Line and Countdown To Extinction aren't exactly "must hear" albums. But they're definitely solid albums that are worth listening to if you like the band.
    That's cool I understand, I'm always open to anything though so I'll regularly get around to having a look at least

Via Tapatalk

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3

If only they went back to this

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

29. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny2304 View Post
    If only they went back to this
    Death Magnetic did go back to their roots. It just wasn't on the same level as those albums.

As for their next album, they said something along the lines of, "If Death Magnetic was the successor to And Just For All, then our next album is going to be the successor to The Black Album."

So it seems we'll have to expect a modern take on The Black Album. I'm not overly excited about that, but it can still be solid.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Devin is holding a "make your own music video" contest for a new song off of Epicloud called Lucky Animals. Here is his example video of what to do. Song is amazing! Dancing is even better. Most entertaining thing on youtube right now.

Thread Information