Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I've tried to get into Mastadon but I just don't like them. Like Curl of the Burl annoys the hell out of me. A few songs of theirs are not too bad but mostly just never could like them.
    Yeah, I can see why. "Sludge Metal" isn't exactly the prettiest music. And their vocals have that very grungy quality to them as well. I initially didn't like them either a couple years ago. But I've given them another go and I definitely like their latest two albums, with Blood Mountain being pretty solid as well.

EDIT: I'm on the fifth song of Ghost Reveries now, and this album is fantastic so far!

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Yeah, I can see why. "Sludge Metal" isn't exactly the prettiest music. And their vocals have that very grungy quality to them as well. I initially didn't like them either a couple years ago. But I've given them another go and I definitely like their latest two albums, with Blood Mountain being pretty solid as well.

EDIT: I'm on the fifth song of Ghost Reveries now, and this album is fantastic so far!
    I did really like Colony of Birchmen and I also heard another song off that album on the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie that was pretty sweet as well. But most of the sound doesn't appeal to me. Although many must like them because they are immensely popular.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I did really like Colony of Birchmen and I also heard another song off that album on the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie that was pretty sweet as well. But most of the sound doesn't appeal to me. Although many must like them because they are immensely popular.
    "Mastodon are the greatest metal band of their generation — no one else comes close."

-Rolling Stone

Rolling Stone are more of a popularity contest though. But saying that, Mastodon is definitely a fresh band that has changed their sound with nearly every album so far. And they're a band that can appeal to both hardcore metal fans and casual rock fans alike. I still have to listen to their first two albums though.

Anywho, I finished Ghost Reveries and it's probably my second favorite Opeth album behind Blackwater Park right now. I also finally listened to Faith No More. I listened to their two most acclaimed albums, Real Thing and Angel Dust. Both very good albums.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Just listened to Leviathan, which is Mastodon's second album. I seem to be enjoying their albums slightly less and less as I go back through their discography. I love The Hunter (2011), I really like Crack The Skye (2009), I think Blood Mountain is solid (2006), and now I think Leviathan is decent (2004). I only like about half the songs. Remissions (2002) is the only one left.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Listen to watershed yet by opeth? Its...odd

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Lamb of God, To the end is my favorite song on their latest album.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Amazing song, mine is Ghost Walking.

I need to get into more music - expand my iTunes

I've been listening to SO MUCH As I Lay Dying lately, so amazing. Must try out Mastodon

8. Likes Acid Snake likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Listen to watershed yet by opeth? Its...odd
    Nah, and I think I may listen to My Arms, Your Hearse next. It's supposed to be one of their best albums. Then I'll probably listen to the latest two, and then their first two.

This is another band on my list. In fact, I've been going through the metal thread on GAF and I've added a ton of metal bands to my list. This is what it looks like right now, in no particular order:

-Arch Enemy
    -Agalloch
    -The Ocean
    -Dark Tranquility
    -At The Gates
    -Emperor
    -Summoning
    -Slayer
    -Megadeth
    -Cynic
    -Kyuss
    -Black Sabbath
    -Ministry
    -Amon Amarth
    -Burzum
    -Katatonia
    -Insomnium
    -Septic Flesh
    -Eluveitie
    -Equilibrium
    -Blind Guardian
    -Lamb Of God
    -Machine Head

As you can see, I'm still a noob to the genre. Also, some of those are black metal bands, which I never thought I'd be interested in. But the atmospheric/progressive ones are pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Must try out Mastodon
    I would go backwards with them. Start with The Hunter.
    Last edited by Ixion; 04-03-2012 at 10:36.

10. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Nah, and I think I may listen to My Arms, Your Hearse next. It's supposed to be one of their best albums. Then I'll probably listen to the latest two, and then their first two.

This is another band on my list. In fact, I've been going through the metal thread on GAF and I've added a ton of metal bands to my list. This is what it looks like right now, in no particular order:

-Arch Enemy
    -Agalloch
    -The Ocean
    -Dark Tranquility
    -At The Gates
    -Emperor
    -Summoning
    -Slayer
    -Megadeth
    -Cynic
    -Kyuss
    -Black Sabbath
    -Ministry
    -Amon Amarth
    -Burzum
    -Katatonia
    -Insomnium
    -Septic Flesh
    -Eluveitie
    -Equilibrium
    -Blind Guardian
    -Lamb Of God
    -Machine Head

As you can see, I'm still a noob to the genre. Also, some of those are black metal bands, which I never thought I'd be interested in. But the atmospheric/progressive ones are pretty cool.

My arms your hearse is good but the mixing Is awful. Plus the band members were still pretty young so the growling isn't as deep as you would expect. Personally I like the live versions better. Demon of the fall is just beastly live. You might be w bit shocked having listened to stuff from still life onward cus they are not quite a finished product yet IMO.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Super Elite
    Items User name style

-Arch Enemy
    -Agalloch
    -The Ocean
    -Dark Tranquility
    -At The Gates
    -Emperor
    -Summoning
    -Slayer
    -Megadeth
    -Cynic
    -Kyuss
    -Black Sabbath
    -Ministry
    -Amon Amarth
    -Burzum
    -Katatonia
    -Insomnium
    -Septic Flesh
    -Eluveitie
    -Equilibrium
    -Blind Guardian
    -Lamb Of God
    -Machine Head

Add Children of Bodom to that list. They're a pretty solid band.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

13. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Add Children of Bodom to that list. They're a pretty solid band.
    Already have them. And yes, they're one of the best bands to start with for Death Metal. They're as melodic as they come.

I added a few more to my list yesterday:

-Death
    -Dethklok
    -Strapping Young Lad
    -Devin Townsend
    -Immortal
    -Demonaz

Right now I'm still working on Opeth and Mastodon though. I'm also going through Dream Theater again. I have their whole discography, but I basically only went through it once. Good band.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Devin townsend is my favorite. I have every album of his from Devin Townsend Project, devin townsend band and syl. He is working on Epicloud right now. I guess he is keeping the DTP moniker cus quite honestly the logo is Badassery 101. He is recording and mixing in right now and based on the teasing he has been doing on his facebook page, i think i'm gonna worship this album lol.. Add between the buried and me to that list. insanely awesome band! In fact, the Colors album by Between the Buried and Me is my favorite album of all time.
    Last edited by btbam; 04-05-2012 at 01:41.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Already have them. And yes, they're one of the best bands to start with for Death Metal. They're as melodic as they come.

-Death
    -Dethklok
    -Strapping Young Lad
    -Devin Townsend
    -Immortal
    -Demonaz

Right now I'm still working on Opeth and Mastodon though. I'm also going through Dream Theater again. I have their whole discography, but I basically only went through it once. Good band.
    Add Gojira. You'll $#@!ing love them, sir.

17. Likes btbam likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Listened to My Arms, Your Hearse by Opeth and it's a very good album. Also listened to Remission by Mastodon, their first album, and I thought it was pretty solid. All in all, I think Mastodon is a pretty good band, but they don't live up to the hype for me. Opeth does though.

Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Devin townsend is my favorite. I have every album of his from dtp dtb and syl. He is working on epicloud right now. Recording and mixing. Add between the buried and me to that list. insane ly awesome band
    Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    I've heard a song or two from them, but I didn't really like it. I'll give them another shot at some point though, after I get the bands I want right now.

Prog death, eh? I'll check them out soon.

Also...

19. Likes Acid Snake likes this post
    Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Let me put a few more down.

Red chord.
    Sylosis.
    Revocation <---- $#@!ing amazing.
    Therion.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Listened to My Arms, Your Hearse by Opeth and it's a very good album. Also listened to Remission by Mastodon, their first album, and I thought it was pretty solid. All in all, I think Mastodon is a pretty good band, but they don't live up to the hype for me. Opeth does though.

I've heard a song or two from them, but I didn't really like it. I'll give them another shot at some point though, after I get the bands I want right now.

Prog death, eh? I'll check them out soon.

Also...

Between the Buried and Me is an acquired taste even for metalheads i think. If you listen to more Opeth, i think you'll hear the Opeth influence in their music because its one of their big influences. The Colors album is one continual piece of music. the lyrics are unrelated, but the melodies are contiguous as a single piece of music. Its quite astounding. You pretty much have to listen to it all to understand the full scope. They are getting really proggy and out there now. The Great Misdirect had some seriously proggy parts in it and the Paralax Hypersleep Dialogues EP is pretty far out there but a natural progression if your a long time fan like myself. Based on your tastes i think you'll enjoy the Great Misdirect the most if you give it a chance.

If your a drumming nut like me, you'll enjoy this i think. Its a studio vid of Blake Richardson recording one of the songs of of the Great Misdirect called Obfuscation. There is also a weird music video they released all about aliens and circus folk. its pretty entertaining, but i'd rather watch the master at work.

Second video is Specular Reflections off of the Parallax Hypersleep Dialogues EP. It doesn't have the vocals which are amazing if i say so myself, but i think you can hear the Opeth influence in this pretty well.

this is like my 8th edit to the post but i keep remembering some insane proggy goodness. I know you like prog, and i know you like metal...feast your ears on this beauty of a band.

http://soundcloud.com/elliotcoleman/eden-2-0-tesseract
    Last edited by btbam; 04-05-2012 at 03:45.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

-Death
    -Dethklok
    -Strapping Young Lad
    -Devin Townsend
    -Immortal
    -Demonaz

Hell yes! Brendon Small is the man. Definitely one of my favorite metal "bands." This is my ringtone!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    yeah man Gojira are $#@!in sick, i used to love this song

Also just learning this metallica song, playing their music makes my wrist dead in like 5 mins haha

24. Likes Acid Snake likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Listened to Watershed and Heritage. I think they're both good albums. Heritage especially took me a few listens, but I really like it.

I also listened to Ghost's album, and I love it. If you don't like this song, something is wrong with you....

Four days until the Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost concert!

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy X
    What a horribly boring song. Must be something wrong with me. Oh well.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
    What a horribly boring song. Must be something wrong with me. Oh well.
    I just think that's one of the coolest concluding songs to an album I've heard. Which metal bands do you like though?

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy X
    Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Opeth, Novembers Doom, The Haunted, Amorphis, Mercenary, Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium. The list goes on. I'm sure I have some boring, repetitive tracks in my collection, but that Ghost track is the techno of the metal world. It was pretty much the same 2 maybe 3 riffs played at a couple different octaves the entire time save for the ending. And the ending itself wasn't innovative or noteworthy.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i remember when Metal consisted of Coherent music

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
    Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Opeth, Novembers Doom, The Haunted, Amorphis, Mercenary, Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium. The list goes on. I'm sure I have some boring, repetitive tracks in my collection, but that Ghost track is the techno of the metal world. It was pretty much the same 2 maybe 3 riffs played at a couple different octaves the entire time save for the ending. And the ending itself wasn't innovative or noteworthy.
    Thing is, those riffs were $#@!ing epic. I have no problem building a song around a couple different riffs if they're incredibly enjoyable to listen to and the song doesn't overstay its welcome. Also keep in mind that it's an 'outro', as they say. So it was just a send off for the album.

I'm not saying it's a complex or innovative song. I just thought it was something everyone would enjoy. Guess not!

By the way, I like most of the bands you listed. It seems you like Melodeath and Prog Death as well, which of course is very technical and changes up frequently. Those are my two favorite genres.

Superior Member
    If you're into Melodic Death (and any mixture like Melodic Black, Melodic Doom), also try some of these;

• The Duskfall (sadly broken up)
    • Insomnium
    • Ghost Brigade (probably my favourite band for the last few years since seeing them at a fest in Germany)

I love my Black/Death/Doom metal mostly, but I'll give anything a listen twice

Thread Information