Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Christmas Thief

The Official DC Universe Online Thread

Notes:

• Please make a separate thread to discuss whether MMOs should have a monthly fee. This thread is for discussion of the game, servers, characters, ect
    • I stole all of this info and all of these pictures from the awesome OT at neogaf, made by Nightz. I didn't feel like actually making an OT but I thought we needed one.

Official Site: http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/

What is it?
    DC Universe Online is the only next-generation massively multiplayer online action game that delivers unparalleled physics-powered combat set in the DC Universe. This genre-defining game puts the power of theDC Super Heroes and villains into the palm of your hands…The next legend is YOU!

• Experience the power of visceral combat where you control every blow your character strikes, delivering a level of action that is unparalleled in the MMO segment.
    • Choose your side, superhero or villain, as you battle to save or conquer the universe.
    • Fight alongside or against your favorite DC heroes and villains including Batman, The Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman and others…The next legend is YOU!
    • Experience the intensity of a world created in the artistic vision of legendary comic book artist Jim Lee.
    • Take advantage of the state-of-the-art physics engine and use objects in the world around you as weapons, including even your enemies!
    • Players will create their own DC-style hero or villain, each with a unique look and combination of superpowers.
    • Embark on heroic or villainous story-driven adventures penned by famous DC writers including Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman.
    • Gameplay is optimized for both the PS3 computer entertainment system and PC.
    • Explore the DC Universe; walk the darkened streets of Gotham City, investigate the mysteries of the futuristic cityscape of Metropolis and travel to legendary locations including Arkham Asylum and the Justice League of America Watchtower.

Mentors
    In DCUO, you can fight besides your favorite heroes or villains. You can pick one of your them as your mentor and they will provide you with quests to help them fight the enemy. The three mentors for the Heroes are Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and the three for the Villains are Joker, Lex Luthor and Circe. (Bios taken from the DCUO website)

Batman
    Young Bruce Wayne was started on his path to justice when his parents were gunned down in Gotham City's infamous Crime Alley. Now known and feared by criminals everywhere, Batman is a strategic mentor for the new generation of tech heroes. Batman's trust is not earned easily, but you will become his valued partner as he calls on you to battle the chaos in Gotham City.

As his deadly nemesis, The Joker, spreads his evil, the Dark Knight will soon learn that you are a hero he can trust with his secrets.

Superman
    Sent to Earth from the dying planet Krypton, Superman's Kryptonian physiology grants him tremendous powers under Earth's yellow sun. Now Earth's mightiest protector is the mentor for all new meta heroes and he will be your guide from the start as a fellow defender of truth and justice. He will guide you as you join his battle against archrival Lex Luthor, who seeks to control all superhuman powers.

And in the final battle, Superman's greatest ally will be you.

Wonder Woman
    Created by the magic of the Olympian Gods on the enchanted isle of Themyscira, Princess Diana leads the fearless Amazons into battle. As an ambassador for peace and freedom, she gladly mentors the new magic heroes. She will rely on you to fight at her side against the lies and tyranny of the evil goddess Circe, who seeks to rule the world with magic.

And when Wonder Woman must contemplate sacrificing all to save the realms of magic, she will need you as her champion to stand against evil.

Joker
    Rumor has it that the Clown Prince of Crime was once an ordinary man, caught in a vat of deadly chemicals that altered his body and mind. Now certifiably psychopathic, The Joker is a chaotic, maniacal mentor to all new tech villains.

His insane obsession with creating the ultimate weapon against Batman drives The Joker to new levels of destruction - with you along for the ride. But when it looks like The Joker is administering his final bow, he will need you to ensure he can deliver the ultimate punch line.

Lex Luthor
    Ruthless megalomaniac Lex Luthor heads the massively powerful conglomerate LexCorp, using his riches for one goal: to defeat Superman and take his place. This criminal genius now mentors all of the new meta villains in their quest for power.

Under his lead, you will learn how to exploit all superpowers, with the goal of controlling and ruling the world. You will join his crusade against the "so-called heroes." And when push comes to shove, you will have your chance to show Luthor exactly how you eliminate anyone standing in your way.

Circe
    One of the Olympian Gods, Circe is a creature of lies and deceit who believes magic will rule all of reality. She leads her army of vicious Bestiamorphs against any who defy her might. Now she eagerly mentors all new magic villains, seeking to build their power and her own.

Circe will rally you at her side against Wonder Woman and the heroes who would share magic with mortal humans. And when Circe herself is caught up in her own quest for power, she will learn that you too are a master of deceit.

Fire
    Players who choose to wield the wild and unpredictable forces of fire have to be tough. Fire characters like to get up front and blast away at enemies, and therefore they tend to draw a lot of attention. They also want to spread their flames so they can do as much damage to groups as possible. Fire powers have two distinct specializations:
    Immolation
    Immolation powers cause flames to well up around your character, causing damage to anyone in the vicinity. Immolation abilities also bolster your will to win, adding an extra element to help in combat.
    Ignition
    Flames burst forth, searing your opponents and their nearby allies. The damage from ignition powers become multiplied when used in tandem with other fire powers.
    Ice
    Characters that choose to master subzero temperatures make for challenging foes. During combat, ice wielders have the ability to lock down opponents who come within their chilling reach. These characters want to armor up and keep their enemies on ice through two unique paths:
    Cryogenics
    Ice forms around you and enemy attacks don't seem to land. By using your powers to create defenses for yourself, you are a master of mitigating damage. When the occasional attack does strike true, the cold is passed on to your attacker, often freezing them in their tracks.

Storm
    Icy winds dance at your command, allowing you to push and pull enemies around the battlefield. No one can escape your arctic blasts, which allows you to control the direction of the fight.
    Mental
    Characters with the mental superpower are masters of mind over matter. Using their unique abilities, they can move objects with a thought to defend themselves or damage an enemy. They can also use the force of their will in more subtle ways, such as creating illusions to disorient and confuse. Mental characters love to be where the action is and control the battlefield with their minds. Mental powered characters can travel two mind-bending paths:
    Telekinesis
    With the brute force of your will, you can create force fields that encase enemies or send them flying down the street. Lift that car beside you and slam it down on an enemy without moving a muscle.

Illusion
    By using your mental powers it is easy to make an enemy think you are someone else, creating opportunities for surprise attacks. Such power can even make an opponent think they see something that isn't there.
    Nature
    Characters that choose the nature power will find themselves masters over primal forces. Nature characters draw upon these forces to keep their allies alive or wither their enemies away. When the battle gets really tough, they can also let the call of the wild surge through them and actually become a beast full of rage, cunning and animal instincts. Nature powers grow along two distinct branches:
    Shapeshifting
    Nature powers allow you to shift into beast forms. You will experience the rage of a gorilla, the cunning and savagery of a wolf, or the hive mind of an insect. Abilities and movement powers change with each form, allowing you to adapt to each situation and terrain.

Plants
    Using your powers over plants, you will be able to heal your allies or poison your foes with thorny vines and pollinating flowers. Your enemies might feel a small sting at first, but as time goes on your unleashed toxins eat away your opponents.
    Sorcery
    Characters who wield the unseen forces of the universe hold the power of life and death in their hands. Sorcerers can doom enemies to failure or ensure their allies have the power to carry on the fight. They are ideal for combat support, often tipping the balance of a fight with their spells. Arcane powers often fall into two categories:
    Summoning
    Drawn to your power, arcane creatures never leave your side. Choose wisely which pet you summon, for each will behave according to the mystic forces that created it. Whether attacking, defending, or performing some other fantastic feat, they are completely at your service.

Destiny
    The fate of many rests in your hands as you change the course of battle. Generate good or bad karma for you, your allies, or foes. Gathering these positive and negative energies allows you to elevate or enfeeble those around you.
    Gadgets
    Characters with the gadget power will find themselves pulling out all manner of devices from their pockets and pouches. On the front lines, a well-placed gadget will help you control not only the enemy but the battlefield itself. Gadget characters are crafty and use their heads to place their devices strategically to achieve victory. The gadgeteer has two unique paths to follow:
    Tricks
    Tricks are devices that you place in plain sight to deceive the enemy. By placing tricks, you cause the enemy to waste time and create openings for you and your team to seize victory.

Traps
    Traps are devious devices that remain hidden until sprung. Traps are stealthy devices that appear out of seemingly nowhere and cause devastating damage.

Superspeed

Speedsters travel through the streets of Gotham City and Metropolis at an incredible velocity. Those with Superspeed movement reach such tremendous acceleration that they can even run up the sides of buildings, up walls or across ceilings. Traveling long city blocks to get to the action becomes a cinch with this movement mode. In combat, speedsters become deadly whirlwinds using their quickness to move in and out of range with ease and special attacks to stun and disorient enemies. If you're a fan of The Flash, or any of the other speedsters in the DC Universe, then tap into the Speedforce and choose Superspeed for your movement power.

Acrobatics

Acrobats are master aerialists and climbers who use their skills to vault across the rooftops of Gotham City and Metropolis with seemingly effortless grace. Acrobats are able to climb and cling to any surface, giving them a unique way to approach both movement and combat. Using a Grapple Line, Acrobats can quickly ascend tall buildings and traverse the gap between skyscrapers. And for movement across the massive cityscapes, Acrobats can even glide across the sky after leaping from vast heights. In combat, the Acrobat's agility is unmatched, with special combat moves designed to draw enemies in close to deliver precision attacks. If you like Batman, choose Acrobatics as your movement mode and start leaping your way to justice or chaos.

Flight

Fliers soar over the skyscrapers of Metropolis and Gotham City, swooping down to engage their enemies with devastating attacks. There is no place out of reach for fliers, who are able to traverse any environment with ease. Those with Flight movement have their own special combat moves designed to stun enemies or knock them senseless. Using the environment around them, fliers can turn almost anything into aerial projectiles to defend the innocent or destroy the city. If you want to feel the freedom and exhilaration of hovering over the entire city like Superman, waiting for your opportunity to strike your foes, then Flight is the movement power for you.

One-Handed

Masters of one-handed combat wield their weapons with a mix of precision and strength. They execute quickstrong swings to create openings, before unleashing powerful assaults. Masters of one-handed weapons include Hawkman, Deathstroke, and Ra's Al Ghu l.

Hand Blaster

Wielders of amazing abilities, hand blasters hurl their power at their foes with a thrust of their arms or a wave of their hands. Their ranged attacks are chained together with grace and power to keep their enemies at bay, and they excel at charging up their attacks to put even more strength into each blast. Powerful hand blasters in the DC Universe include Doctor Fate, Starfire, and Killer Frost.

Bow

Archers wield their bow with shocking speed, precision, and power. Combat with a bow is an improvised flurry of ranged attacks with arrows or bludgeoning attacks with the bow itself when the fighting gets in close. Archers are very unpredictable and can use their trick shots to take most enemies by surprise from any distance. Masters of the bow include Green Arrow, Speedy, and Merlyn.

Brawling

Brawlers are powerful fighters that sacrifice technique for brute strength. Brawlers hold nothing back as they batter their opponents with punches that could knock a normal person down the block. Titanic brawlers include Superman, Wonder Woman, Doomsday, and Bane.

Dual Pistols

Master sharpshooters wield two pistols as if they were a natural part of themselves. Using their shooting skills to chain together deadly attacks at range, wielders can also use the pistols as melee weapons in close combat. Dual-pistol wielders can lay down fire in many directions to keep multiple enemies jumping for cover. Deadeye marksmen include the likes of Arsenal, Captain Cold, Two-Face, and Mirror Master.

Duel Wield

Characters that dual wield melee weapons make every movement a potential attack. Dual-wielding characters spin, flip, and unleash a flurry of blinding strikes in a series of timed attacks that keep opponents reeling. They are excellent at fighting multiple opponents and can easily keep a group of enemies at bay. Nightwing is the ultimate example of a master dual wielder.

Martial Arts

Martial arts fighters strike with speed and fury. They dart in close, strike from all angles, and string together combinations of punches and kicks. Martial artists are the most defensive fighting style, as they can dodge and block while executing various counterattacks. Martial arts masters in the DC Universe include Batman, Black Canary, Catwoman, and Lady Shiva.

Rifle

Precision attacks from rifle users can come in many forms and at many distances. Rifle users can attack from a safe position at range or use their weapon to bludgeon opponents that manage to get close. They have an array of ammunition and weapon types, from grenades and sniper shots even up to flamethrowers. Masters of the rifle include Arsenal and Mister Freeze.

Staff

Wielders of the staff whirl their weapons with blinding speed and force. They strike at their foes with combinations of sweeping arcs, spins, and twirling motions. They are masters of keeping the battlefield under control with stunning efficiency. Expert staff fighters include Robin and The Huntress.

Two-Handed

Colossal attacks are the usual fare for two-handed weapon masters. Two-handed weapon fighters use mass and reach to their advantage as they swing, slam, and smash their weapons in a series of slow but powerful attacks. Legendary wielders of two-handed weapons include Steel and Harley Quinn.

$ How much will a subscription cost? $

US Subscription Packages:
    1 Month - $14.99
    3 Month - $41.99
    6 Month - $77.99
    12 Month - $134.99

Useful Commands
    /say - Say something to anyone in your local area
    /s - Same as /say
    /groupsay - Say something to members of your group
    /group - Same as /groupsay
    /g - Same as /groupsay
    /party - Same as /groupsay
    /p - Same as /groupsay
    /tell [name] - Send a private message to another person (use quotes around names with a space)
    /t - Same as /tell
    /reply - Send a private message to the last person that sent you a private message
    /r - Same as /reply
    /shout - Shout a message to everyone in the same region (like say but broader)
    /invite [name] - Invite another person to join a group with you (no quotes needed)
    /leave - Leave your current group
    /kick [name] - Kick the specified person from your group (no quotes needed; must be leader)
    /promote [name] - Promote the specified person to be the group leader (no quotes needed; must be leader)

Assorted Guides
    Official Guide PC
    Official Guide PS3
    Mentors, Origins, and Iconic Armor Guide
    Things I wish I knew when I started playing DCUO <-- I really like this one. I wish I read it before I started playing the game.
    A Guide to Weapon/Role Synergy

Last edited by Grinchy; 01-30-2011 at 00:29.

Dedicated Member
    Still wish it was free to play,then more people would be on.Also they should have had Martian Man Hunter and Green Lantern as mentors.My first MMO experience and I enjoy it.

SnowHawk
    I love this game so much, I'm making a villain next with acrobats.

I will platinum this game.

Christmas Thief
    I'm probably doing acrobatics on my next char too. It does feel nice just bursting into the air with flight, but I love the idea of using a grappling hook.

If there are any villains on No Man's Land who want to group up for bounties, quests, alerts, whatever, let me know! I even like getting into groups and just PvPing in the open world.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    i have a question!!
    if i buy us version can i play on eu servers and pay for it from my eu account?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    i have a question!!
    if i buy us version can i play on eu servers and pay for it from my eu account?
    No,I heard servers are region locked.

Grinchy,don't let me catch you causing trouble in Metropolis.You and other villains don't want to feel the wrath of Nytruss.

Christmas Thief
    hahaha I will be looking for you

Superior Member
    Yay, official dcuo thread. Nice!
    Its funny how the first reply goes on about the fee though lol. I would NOT play this if it was free because it would suck and never evolve.

Anyway, acrobatics is amazing and when you start unlocking movement points it really gives you a nice feeling to it.
    Next char I make will probably go with superspeed and mental telekinesis powers.
    Heya

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    No,I heard servers are region locked.
    bad news for me (((
    im still hesitate to buy it
    i always was a fan of complex MMO like EVE or Anarchy Online
    but i really want fast mmo, when i dont need to spent 1 month to wear one helmet

Christmas Thief
    Some cool info from their twitter:
    Push to talk is coming into DCUO asap. Along with improvements to UI as well as some awesome new content. Really amazed at the team!
    also:
    When American Idol came on we saw a 20% dip on the PS3 but not on the PC
    Come on, PS3 players. Watch some better TV!

SnowHawk
    I'm level 29 now almost 30, can't wait to do the raids and duo's.

Christmas Thief
    Has anyone else been freezing? Aside from the voice chat, it seems like my server has gotten worse since I bought the game despite the updates they've done on their end so far.

Anyway, I got bored earlier and put together a group of people to do some random PvP in the open world. We held off an area for like a half hour, taking out every hero that came near us. It must have been a questing area, but it was all people within my level.

Superior Member
    The only freezing issue for me has been when I'm shutting down the game the PS3 restarts. That happens sometimes with a lot of games though, anyone else have that problem?
    But I've been lucky enough not to have a freeze while actually playing the game, so thats fine.

Christmas Thief
    For anyone who didn't know, SOE has claimed they will be offering monthly content updates.

February Update:

SOE has been hyping a classic character playing a large role in this batch of content, and it turns out it's Catwoman. Selina Kyle is going to factor into a few new parts to DCUO.

• Level 30 Catwoman Episode: Here, your character will race to Gotham Museum and find Catwoman robbing the joint. Then, some ancient Egyptian artifacts turn people into lions and tigers that you have to fight. Look for five boss battles in this mission.
    • Legends PVP: Catwoman will now be playable in "Play as Iconic" PVP.
    • Multiplayer Race: Chase Catwoman with your friends.
    • New Loot: You'll now be able to collect the "ancient Mayan Armor" and "Cat Burglar" gear.

Valentine's Day Content
    Believe it or not, February is for lovers -- and now, DCUO is, too. In a rather interesting move, the Goddess of Love is pissed and has put down fountains across Metropolis. Enter one of these, and you'll be transported to a 100-person instance where you'll play as a cherub and battle "to determine the true meaning of love."

• Collectable Hearts: Completing races, participating in PVP and other actions will earn you hearts that you can use to purchase chocolates and gifts to give to other players.
    • PVP Battles: Dunk the other team into the fountain.
    • Love Alert: This is a four-player boss fight against the Goddess of Love, Devotion and Scorn.
    • Loot: There's a new harlequin clown suit with hearts and a cherub disguise to earn.
    • Mock the Boss: When you replay boss fights, you'll be able to give them "be mine" cards for Feat points.

• New Duo: A two-player Bane duo will be available for players.
    • PVP Expansion: There will be a new Gotham PVP zone.
    • New Tier 2 Raid: There's a new eight-player raid zone for the Batcave. You'll fight alongside Batman against Brainiac and Brother Eye.
    • Buy and Sell: Auction houses will go live in the Watchtower and the Hall of Doom so that places can swap gear on a massive scale.
    • Additions: New collections, races and investigations will be added.
    I'm most excited for the auction houses!! One of the things I loved about FFXI was the way there was an actual economy going on, which wasn't artificial in any way. The players created the economy by how they would buy and sell, so items achieved certain values naturally. Then if the item was out of stock for a while, and it came back, its price would rise again.
    Last edited by Grinchy; 02-01-2011 at 21:20.

SnowHawk
    That sounds awesome, can't wait for that.

I've reached level 30 but haven't done any of the raids yet.

Superior Member
    Cant wait for the auction house, hopefully you will be able to sell trinkets and hoddies etc received from the vault and now i may be able to complete some armor sets, missing like 1 piece from 3 different sets

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale

I envy all you guys who have time to play this game. That's not sarcasm btw.
    I seriously wish I was on there.
    CONNECTION LOST...

Christmas Thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.House View Post
    I envy all you guys who have time to play this game. That's not sarcasm btw.
    I seriously wish I was on there.
    I know what you mean.

I'll tell myself, "Ok self. You have 2 hours to play, then you need to get ___ done." So when the 2 hours are gone and I feel like I've just started playing, and then I'm waiting another day until I can log in. Then I log in the next day, and there are issues

But it's a really awesome game. I can't wait until everything is ironed out. The more I play it the better I like it. Also, IMO a PvP server is the way to go.

[QUOTE=Grinchy;5422591]I know what you mean.

I'll tell myself, "Ok self. You have 2 hours to play, then you need to get ___ done." So when the 2 hours are gone and I feel like I've just started playing, and then I'm waiting another day until I can log in. Then I log in the next day, and there are issues

[QUOTE]

LOL so true.
    FFXI showed me how much time an MMO takes to play, and these days there's just no way.
    And after awhile I found myself basically killing off my social life because: "I'm paying to play this thing so I got to get home and get my moneys worth."
    CONNECTION LOST...

Christmas Thief
    This game can be a real time sink. I can spend so long playing, though I take breaks throughout and just leave it running. I'm lvl 25 now, and I've learned to love sorcery. I've also started an addiction to getting PvP equipment.

Christmas Thief
    This is not a double post, it's a special info bump (ok so this is a double post, but it's good info!)

You can now get DC Universe Online for $10 per month IF you jump onto the deal on February 8th.

In appreciation of you pioneers we are going to be offering the chance to lock in an extraordinary promotional rate of only $29.99 for the 3-month DC Universe Online Legend Plan. That’s over 25% OFF the regular 3-month subscription plan price of $41.99! You’ll even be able to keep that rate for as long as you are actively subscribed and watch the savings pile up! You really won’t want to miss out on this great opportunity! The new rate will be available on February 8th so look out for it!

LINK

Superior Member
    This game can't be that great if there are so few posters talking about it. I think I will wait a few months and see.
    Last edited by Guymelif; 02-05-2011 at 04:46. Reason: Marvel Online was canceled

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ShIsTy
    Heroes: Saturday and Shisty
    hit me up if anyone on crisis server
    IoN

Christmas Thief
    Anyone else on No Man's Land? I've been level 30 for almost a week now. Been doing a ton of PvP, but I really wanna start doing hard alerts and duos with people who know what they are doing.

Thread Information