Page 1 of 40 111 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

The Official Dark Souls / (Demons Souls 2) Thread **RELEASE 7th OCT**

Game Title Dark Souls
    Studio From Software
    Release date October 4th (US) -7th (UK / EU) 2011
    Platforms PS3, X360 (both confirmed)
    Genre Action / 3rd person RPG

The game will take between 60-100 hours to complete the first time around, depending on how good you are. There are no reports yet of anyone beating it under 60 hours. There is an absolute bucket load of re-playability, too much to mention here.

Important note about Dark Souls.

Q: Do I need to have played Demon's Souls to get the most from Dark Souls?

A: No, but it is one of the best games on the PS3, and it's highly recommend you give it a go. Grab it here
    http://goo.gl/ASZBx

Q: Is Dark Souls Harder than Demons Souls? that game was really hard.

A: Yes. Significantly. It's quite possibly the hardest game the PS3 has to offer.

Dark Souls is technically not a "sequel" to Demons Souls. It is a "spiritual sequel". From Software have taken the concept of Demons Souls, and created a new game with a very similar feel, but a much deeper and much more difficult challenge. The game features a 'vast explore-able world' which is very different to the somewhat linear experience of Demons Souls. Both games are Action RPG, and both feature very very similar gameplay and mechanics.

Where to buy the collectors edition (limited edition)

The Limited edition is the collectors edition. It costs no more than the standard edition if you pre-order it, so get in there now or pay double for it on ebay in a few months. It includes :
    • The Dark Souls game
    • The Artbook
    • The Making of DVD
    • The Official Sound Track CD
    • The 'Complete' game guide (downloadable)

Fastest, Cheapest is Amazon(36.99):
    http://goo.gl/1ggOy

And of course Play (39.99): http://goo.gl/X8U2c

Trailer

Developer's description

"Dark Souls breaks down barriers with a seamless world design that encourages exploration and fosters an adaptable gameplay experience. As players encounter terrifying enemies and discover new areas, the unerring foundation of challenge and reward permeates to offer an unparalleled sense of achievement."

Information (solid fact only, no rumors. What we know for sure that the developer's have confirmed.)

- Demons Souls was hard. Dark Souls is intended to be "much harder / brutally hard. We want the player to get angry, shout and cry out in frustration."

- Will feature greatly updated graphics and all new 'open' based landscapes, allowing for vast exploration of varying and interesting locations. Some which where seen in the demo videos included : Dark / Rich forrest environment, Rocky mountainous environment, castles, dungeons, 'underground hell like environment with lots of lava". Another locale takes place on the "backdrop of a fiery, Asian-inspired wasteland."

Features
    • Seamless environments in a dark fantasy universe abandoned castles infested with the undead, labyrinthine catacombs, a world of sunken ruins, haunted forests, vast dungeons and magical lakes are all there for the courageous to explore at will.
    • Expanded RPG elements plentiful options to customise characters with different equipment, weapons and spells will provide players a deep RPG experience.
    • The Beacon Fire placed at strategic points throughout the game world, the Beacon Fire serves as a Recovery, Restart and Sharing Point.
    • Soul Phantom This allows the player to see 'phantoms'of others on XBL and PSN in the same area.
    • Soul Memory Players can watch how others died in the game to avoid the same misfortune.
    • Soul Message Players can leave messages in game for others. The messages can be a hint or a lie.
    • Mutual role-play system Delivering Unique co-operative and multiplayer gameplay allows players to assume the role of an enemy or a friend.
    Official website for screens and media:

http://www.preparetodie.com/en/

Reviews:

Gamespot - 9.5 Editors choice
    PSU.com 9.5/10
    Beefjack 9.4/10
    NowGamer 9.1/10
    OXM - 9/10
    IGN - 9/10
    Eurogamer - 9/10
    Metro - 9/10
    The telegraph - 5/5
    The Guardian - 4/5

Already grabbed the game? Here is the area list:

• Prologue: Northern Undead Asylum
    • Firelink Shrine
    • Undead Burg
      - Undead Parish
    • Darkroot Garden
    • Lower Undead Burg
    • The Depths
    • Darkroot Basin
    • Valley of the Drakes
    • Blighttown
    • Undead Asylum Part 2
    • Darkroot Garden Part 2
    • Sen's Fortress
    • Anor Londo
    • Painted World of Ariamis
    • The Great Hollow
    • Ash Lake
    • The Catacombs
    • Tomb of the Giants
    • The Duke's Archives
    • Crystal Cave
    • New Londo Ruins
    • Demon Ruins
    • Lost Izalith
    • Kiln of the First Flame

The game will take between 60-100 hours to complete the first time around, depending on how good you are. There is no reports yet of anyone beating it under 60 hours. There is an absolute bucket load of re-playability, too much to mention here.

Last edited by shrike; 10-13-2011 at 02:51. Reason: updates

Dedicated Member
    Yes! Its finally here!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Cool post man, i'm actually looking forward to this game. I could use a good challenge hehehe.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Apprentice
    For sure guys

I'm just excited for the Fall 2011 release date.

Superior Member
    Give me this game now!
    PSN ID: Bakous

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    From the trailer the graphics don't look updated to me, looks more or less like Demon's Souls. Not a bad thing, just saying.

Also I'm sad they have chosen to scrap character classes, I liked that and I'm not a fan of this new trend of complete customisation in RPG's like this.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    The character classes of DS were a joke anyway.
    There was no visual difference because you could build the char yourself anyway, some classes were just "preleveled" to SL10 or something like that.
    I don't know about you but i always used "royal" anyway because you start at SL1 and can do everything yourself.

The more control over the char development the better imo

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Nah bro its all about the Thief. Was still wearing my hood and black leggings past level 200

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    You're missing quite a few pictures! Look here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420591

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have been reading what some people are saying about Dark Souls on other forums and some have said that Dark Souls should be much easier than Demon's Souls because it wasn't fun to play (too hard). Stated that there should be checkpoints so if you die, you don't have to start all over again.
    I think people who say this don't get the point of these games. The point is that you act carefully and with patience and do not rush with no risks. If you die, you have been punished and you will be sent back to beginning so that you learn to play more carefully. With checkpoints you don't get the feeling of punishment and you could just rush, die and try right away again. There is no real feeling of punishment and player most likely won't act more carefully and with more patience. This is something people should understand. Also if the game is too easy, once again you won't play carefully and with patience because there is no need for it.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Master Poster
    Love the quote talking about indiana jones, gets me excited to get my hands on this XD It's good to hear they are not compromising the difficulty and it actually sounds like it'll be harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    I have been reading what some people are saying about Dark Souls on other forums and some have said that Dark Souls should be much easier than Demon's Souls because it wasn't fun to play (too hard). Stated that there should be checkpoints so if you die, you don't have to start all over again.
    I think people who say this don't get the point of these games. The point is that you act carefully and with patience and do not rush with no risks. If you die, you have been punished and you will be sent back to beginning so that you learn to play more carefully. With checkpoints you don't get the feeling of punishment and you could just rush, die and try right away again. There is no real feeling of punishment and player most likely won't act more carefully and with more patience. This is something people should understand. Also if the game is too easy, once again you won't play carefully and with patience because there is no need for it.
    Agreed!

Apprentice
    Checkpoint systems and 'free save points' are what spoils modern games, and prevents them from ever being really difficult.

If you take away the fear of failing a goal, it becomes less intriguing and the sense of achievement when you finally reach it is not the same. It's the same with horror games. If you are invincible and can regenerate health by running away and hiding the game stops being challenging and scary. The fact that you can't just 'reload' a save right after your death with demons souls is what made it stand out. You where scared to enter the next room carelessly because if you did, you may have just wasted the very difficult past 30 minutes to get here.

I can see the argument that this makes it frustrating, but at the end of the day, you could always go play something else. It's a game for people who enjoy a true challenge. It won't be dumbed down because the developer's arent looking to make millions of sales - they are looking to please the fans. It's a rare thing in todays gaming industry.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Hope you can sell stuff now but if you cant im fine with it i can just drop the crap i never use.

Superior Member
    PSN ID: Bakous

The King Of Kings
    This game was not hard at all. I beat the game three times. After the first time, I basically went through the game like cake walk. Some bosses were hard like the Flamelurker, I hated that guy. On topic, Dark Souls looks exactly like Demon Souls. I actually don't see much difference. This is not a complaint, FYI.

Elite Member
    There's a new interview about the game at Famitsu.com. It's all in Japanese though...

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    What We Know About Dark Souls So Far

Few games have delighted and frustrated players in such copious amounts as 2009's Demon's Souls, so you should be very, very excited for its "spiritual successor" - the just-announced Dark Souls. Here's a run-down of the facts so far:

It's coming to both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Unlike its predecessor, which was a PS3 exclusive, Dark Souls is hitting both consoles. Hence the need for the name change; Sony still owns the Demon's Souls brand, apparently. The situation begs the question, though, of whether Sony will attempt to keep the Demon's Souls franchise going as a PlayStation exclusive - Demon's Souls Portable would be a huge draw for the recently announced NGP, after all.

It will be just as difficult as Demon's Souls.

If not even harder. That's what the developers, From Software, are claiming, at least. And they would know. There's been some concern that the game's punishing difficulty (one of its main selling points, if you'll believe it) would be simplified in order to appeal to a broader audience, but based on the first previews, we may be able to put those fears to rest.

It's got new characters.

The eclectic cast of characters in Demon's Souls lent the game a unique atmosphere. They were the kinds of people you'd expect to read about in some fantasy epic - despite minimal interactions with each, it was clear they all had backstories and personalities. Unfortunately, Sony kind of owns all those characters, along with the rest of Demon's Souls, but From Software has come up with a brand new cast, according to early previews. That said, the world will be very similar to that of Demon's Souls, with themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos". Hopefully they'll retain the same understated narrative style, as well.

Environments will be much more expansive.

From Software's done away with the hub world in favor of an enormous, seamless over world with dungeons sprinkled throughout. Think Zelda, except in Dark Souls, if you can see it, you can reach it. Level design will also be more complex and more vertically oriented, making a deadly fall all the more likely. Super.

Character creation will no longer be class-based.

That's all well and good, since the starter class you chose in Demon's Souls had basically no effect on the rest of the game. Stats were highly manipulable, and items that certain classes started out with could be found throughout the rest of the game anyway. My guess is every character will start out with the same stats in Dark Souls, and players will again have the freedom to boost whatever categories they like. The game might also benefit from a skill tree or something similar to add another layer of depth to leveling up, but that remains to be seen.

Multiplayer will be expanded, though similar.

That's definitely a good thing. You'll still be able to leave other players messages, witness their gruesome deaths, team up, or fight player vs. player. World tendency, a feature in Demon's Souls that changed according to player behavior and triggered certain events, won't be a factor because From Software doesn't want to muck about with dedicated servers anymore. They've also mentioned something called "mutual role playing," which they haven't explained yet.

It's coming out this year.

Probably in the Fall. Given the amount of love that gradually built up for Demon's Souls, there's no doubt that Dark Souls can stand its ground amid the deluge of quality games that come out every fall. We're just thrilled we won't have to wait much longer to have our asses handed to us over.. and over.. and over.. and over.. and over..

Source

I don't understand why people want the game to be easier then demon souls, people now days just wanna rush through games with ease, they don't want a challenge, its quite sad, what i loved about demon souls was the fact that it was challenging and that you had to watch your step literally, I'm glad that they aren't going casual like most games these days, user friendly is fine, but not ever games has to be that easy that a 5 year old can finish it.

That is why i always start my games on hardest possible setting the first time, makes some games at least a challenge.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Apprentice
    I am so excited for this game. I really hope it doesn't get delayed like the last 2/3 of the games I planned to purchase over the last 6 months. I really hope it comes out on time. I've been searching for games that resemble anything that Demon Souls is. This is one of my favorite games ever. I want to play Demon Souls again right now but I have Dead Space 2 to finish and I havent even opened Two Worlds II yet. So much gaming so little time.

Stig
    I am so surprised that this is my most wanted game of the year with SO MANY amazing games slated to release. Demon's Souls is gaming perfection and a feat that is going to be nearly impossible to top in my book. It came completely out of nowhere to be everything I ever wanted in a game and so much that I didn't even know I wanted. Dark Souls will not be able to live up to the sense of uniqueness and wonder that Demon's Souls had simply because Demon's Souls did it first, but it CAN expand on the greatest parts of it and come out as a better game. It just won't seem quite as special since virtually no online experience could match the awe I had at seeing how well it was implemented in Demon's Souls for the first time. Words cannot describe how much I want to play this next one.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Sony should have bought out From Software after Demon's Souls methinks

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Who says they would sell?

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    Who says they would sell?
    Just sayin'. I totally thought they were gonna do it after the awesomeness of Demon's Souls :P

Friendship is Carrots
    I hope they add proper coop to the game. It was always a b**** to have me and a friend run off to a secluded corner of a game and summon each other.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Elite Sage
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...lled-dark-race

Dark Souls, From Software's spiritual sequel to PlayStation 3 sleeper hit Demon's Souls, was almost called Dark Race, producer Hidetaka Miyazaki has revealed.

In an interview with Japanese site 4gamer, translated and paraphrased by Andriasang, Miyazaki explained the working title was changed to Project Dark two days before the game was revealed at last year's Tokyo Game Show.

"The Dark Race name didn't hold because there was worry that it would be viewed as a racist expression overseas," read Andriasang's report.

Following that setback, Miyazaki and his team settled on Dark Lord as the new title, however couldn't get a trademark on the name.

Next up: Dark Ring. Apparently, the term relates to a gameplay feature - a 'Dark Ring' comes out of the player as a sign of being cursed. Alas, that title was binned around the New Year. Why?

"The reason this didn't happen is because Dark Ring is slang for anus in England," Miyazaki explained.

So, Dark Souls it is then. Probably for the best.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    HAHAHA! How awesome is that?

Thread Information