Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII

Xperia Play (PS Phone) - You'll Have To Re-Buy Exisiting Content For It!

Sony Ericsson UK managing director confirms old PlayStation Store content will have to be re-bought when the new store launches on Xperia Play later this year.

BARCELONA, SPAIN--Today at Mobile World Congress, Sony put an end to months of speculation about the PlayStation Phone by formally announcing the device as the Xperia Play. While the phone, which will compete in the high-end Android smartphone space, will ship with game content including "classic PlayStation One" series games, the main way to get content onto the device will be via the PlayStation Store, which will launch later in the year.

Vautier talking to GameSpot UK.

Existing PlayStation owners with a catalogue of content purchased through the PlayStation Store won't have a head start on the Xperia Play, though. In an interview with GameSpot UK, Nathan Vautier, managing director for Sony Ericsson UK and Ireland, confirmed that all content previously purchased through the PlayStation Store will need to be re-bought for the Xperia Play.

"[Xperia Play owners] will have to re-purchase the games, so it's not totally integrated," admitted Vautier, when asked about the ability to transfer purchases. "I think the exciting thing is that there are games which people are very, very aware of," he continued.
    http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6298836....op%3Btitle%3B1

Basically its to get the money back from the research and marketing no doubt its just business I suppose.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    I'm presuming it's due to the work put into the port. From the few clips I saw, the games seem to have had a slight overhaul as well.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

cystemic
    well if you really want some of your psone classics you can always download an emulator from the android market, its not piracy if you've bought the game already, in my case twice since i bought the original and the digital copy on the ps store.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Firstly, I find his answer a bit fishy. ("I think the exciting thing is that there are games which people are very, very aware of") sounds a bit dodgy.
    I find it garbage that they cant fully integrate the services, so might I inquire the need for another source of funding to maintain PSN, more than PS+ is supplying. They just want to avoid directly charging the users, but it does cost.

But that is just my speculation.

Thread Information