Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    You do realise that 10 year life cycle they are talking about is strictly how long they plan to focus on PS3.. They could release a PS4 next year and still hold true to their 10 year life cycle by continuing to support the PS3 until whenever that 10 years is up.

10 year life cycle doesn't mean "We won't be making another PS console for 10 years".
    Yes I am aware of this, but as the technology advanced from the days of PS1, so has the cost of making video games. It is already costing game devs alot of money and time to program and create for todays technology. Also, I just get the feeling from The Boss that it's not something they are concidering yet.

"I think the value of the PS3 will continue to rise. Because of this, a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now. That is to say, we are still concentrating fully upon the PS3. Right now, I appeal to you to think of the PS3 and NGP as a new, co-operative partnership," he revealed (SCEI chief Kazuo Hirai)
    I still think back to that CELL processor addon patent that surfaced a few months ago, and EAs belief that we will see a PS3.5 before a PS4.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanise_ View Post
    I think both HD consoles are really. I look at Battlefield 3 for PC and I want that for everything.
    Well of course if you're going to compare PC to consoles then consoles will always be behind. But as far as consoles go I see the PS3 exclusives keep looking better and better so I would say that the PS3 has alot left under the hood. But I'm not seeing that type of graphical progression on the 360 anymore however.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-08-2011 at 06:06.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    Yes I am aware of this, but as the technology advanced from the days of PS1, so has the cost of making video games. It is already costing game devs alot of money and time to program and create for todays technology. Also, I just get the feeling from The Boss that it's not something they are concidering yet.
    Sadly the DEVS will not get a say. More will likely be lost as Sony and Microsoft compete for better technology.
    If either MS or Sony get wind of what the other is up to then they will have no choice but to ramp up their own development in order to make sure they don't get left behind.

And don't forget that Ken Kutaragi had already setout plans for the PS4-PS6 way back in 2007.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/1...s4-through-ps6

UberMadness
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Sadly the DEVS will not get a say. More will likely be lost as Sony and Microsoft compete for better technology.
    If either MS or Sony get wind of what the other is up to then they will have no choice but to ramp up their own development in order to make sure they don't get left behind.

And don't forget that Ken Kutaragi had already setout plans for the PS4-PS6 way back in 2007.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/1...s4-through-ps6
    i think devs and pubs will get a say in this... especially since how much hits they have taken this gen.

Also, you are forgetting that Sony and MS losing tons... i mean in billions.. i think it was about 6+ billion dollars easily before profiting.
    and Sony losing prob more.

while i dont like console getting dated to PC, everything points otherwise... and analysts have been pretty much very equivocal in this matter as well..

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by UberMadness View Post
    i think devs and pubs will get a say in this... especially since how much hits they have taken this gen.
    Exactly. There is NO POINT releasing next gen PS and xbox if studios don't have the money to make games. Also, as far as that link is concerned:

However Kutaragi who retired as Sony Computer Entertainment chairman and CEO last week said he didn't expect the company to follow his grand vision after he left.

His vision involved consoles that merged into a network. He had provided Sony with his ideas for cost reduction methods and design models for the next two years, he said.
    I highly doubt this is anything that lingers in the mind of anyone at Sony.

UberMadness
    Exactly. There is NO POINT releasing next gen PS and xbox if studios don't have the money to make games. Also, as far as that link is concerned:
    Well... not only that. MS has to listen to third party especially since they desperately lack first party studio. they need those pubs and devs way more than Nintendo and Sony.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Well of course if you're going to compare PC to consoles then consoles will always be behind. But as far as consoles go I see the PS3 exclusives keep looking better and better so I would say that the PS3 has alot left under the hood. But I'm not seeing that type of graphical progression on the 360 anymore however.
    So crysis 2 doesnt look better than most before it? On 360? Gears 3 will show you how much better 360 games can look. Sure it might not hit ps3 levels but it will look better than nearly all 360 games before it, I'm sure that's the point you were getting at anyway.

And in my personal opinion I havnt seen anything look better than uncharted 2 and that was 2 years ago so I don't really feel like ps3 exclusives just look better and better.

On topic tho, give me next gen. I'm ready. These consoles don't blow me away anymore but they have great playability so that's cool. Go even check out mafia 2 on Pc at max like I'm playing it. Makes anything on consoles look poor
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    So crysis 2 doesnt look better than most before it? On 360? Gears 3 will show you how much better 360 games can look. Sure it might not hit ps3 levels but it will look better than nearly all 360 games before it, I'm sure that's the point you were getting at anyway.

And in my personal opinion I havnt seen anything look better than uncharted 2 and that was 2 years ago so I don't really feel like ps3 exclusives just look better and better.
    Crysis 2 on consoles doesn't look much better than alot of multiplats I've seen. It actually resembles an improved COD except still sub-hd. So I really dont understand what the big fuss is about that game on consoles. And Gears 3 isnt out yet so we'll see. As for your last point I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-08-2011 at 07:04.

UberMadness
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Crysis 2 on consoles doesn't look much better than alot of multiplats I've seen. It actually resembles an improved COD except still sub-hd. So I really dont understand what the big fuss is about that game on consoles. And Gears 3 isnt out yet so we'll see. As for your last point I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    This...

games will ALWAYS improve in terms of graphics as code will get more optimized.

but how much?? those improvement is getting smaller and smaller.

Even members in this section already expressed their disappointment in demo due to lack of significant improvement. If the retail ends up looking like demo, it pretty much confirms it.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    When did we all turn into such graphic whores? haha I wonder if we are losing sight about what is really important here...It is as if games can't be better unless they are always making leaps and bounds graphically. I think its abit sad in a way. Sure, a beautiful looking game is great to play, but I still play Diablo 2 now and then and get that same feeling of game satisfaction. A well thought out game that is fun to play and appeals to more of our gaming needs is just as important, if not more so, than the pretty packaging it comes in. If the industry charges forward with this rabid thirst for ever increasing graphics, we will get less games made due to expense. PS3 is producing beautiful games these days, and I am happy with this level.

It would be nice if more networking went on, like the same way that Naughty Dog helped Sucker Punch on inFamous 2. If all of these devs shared what they knew abit more, we would start getting a broad range of games across many genres, all taking advantage of this PS3 coding expertise and games would be presentable enough. If more games started to look like Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian etc, I will be happy to stay with this gen for another 5 years.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    When did we all turn into such graphic whores? haha I wonder if we are losing sight about what is really important here...It is as if games can't be better unless they are always making leaps and bounds graphically. I think its abit sad in a way. Sure, a beautiful looking game is great to play, but I still play Diablo 2 now and then and get that same feeling of game satisfaction. A well thought out game that is fun to play and appeals to more of our gaming needs is just as important, if not more so, than the pretty packaging it comes in. If the industry charges forward with this rabid thirst for ever increasing graphics, we will get less games made due to expense. PS3 is producing beautiful games these days, and I am happy with this level.

It would be nice if more networking went on, like the same way that Naughty Dog helped Sucker Punch on inFamous 2. If all of these devs shared what they knew abit more, we would start getting a broad range of games across many genres, all taking advantage of this PS3 coding expertise and games would be presentable enough. If more games started to look like Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian etc, I will be happy to stay with this gen for another 5 years.
    We are graphic whores because it is the easiest to measure progress in.

Nobody ever says "yo did youy see that processor? **** man, i've never seen processing like that!"

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

UberMadness
    no one said game has to have major graphical improvement or it is crap...

i am just explaining the trend i've seen here.

While best graphics isnt a must, it does matter a lot. to me at least.

i dont know why... maybe better immersion?? but it does matter to me.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    If MS are smart the new console will feature nothing but an extension of what they have now.

Probably a quad processor, hooked up to two GPU's

And I'd like those 2 GPU's to be able programmed in serial(for serious render to texture or post processing) or parrallel (for 3d). And a bigger edram pool (12mb thanks).

Blu-rays a given.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-08-2011 at 08:10.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    If MS are smart the new console will feature nothing but an extension of what they have now.

Probably a quad processor, hooked up to two GPU's

And I'd like those 2 GPU's to be able programmed in serial(for serious render to texture or post processing) or parrallel (for 3d). And a bigger edram pool (12mb thanks).

Blu-rays a given.
    That could be a rather expensive product to make and develop for but I like your way of thinking.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    That could be a rather expensive product to make and develop for but I like your way of thinking.
    Oh I dont think the 2nd GPU need sot be much more than the current one.
    But either way I would like the idea dual render pipelines two different buffers.

You could set one up with certain vertex buffers for say refleciton, whilst the other render the main scene.

Its not very complex, and would allow for some stunning results, and developers would get the hang of it in about 5 minutes.

Edit: Or better yet, allow for you entire pipline structure to spllit.
    Thats way you could choose say 8 or 2 x4 piplines etc (I hope they get more than that!)
    Last edited by mynd; 03-08-2011 at 08:22.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    We are graphic whores because it is the easiest to measure progress in.

Nobody ever says "yo did youy see that processor? **** man, i've never seen processing like that!"
    But progress shouldn't just be measured just in graphics. Well its no measure for me. To everything their is a form and a function. It is the function that matters most in my opinion. A game can look beautiful but if it is boring as **** then I don't care.

Oh well thats the way it is...It would be nice to hear "yo did youy see that awesome and addictive game design? **** man, i've never seen interesting and refreshing gameplay elements like that!"

Hehe.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items User name style
    Consoles as we know them are dead. You will not recognise the 'next generation'. They will be home entertainment units aimed at a hugely expanded demographic and while they will play games they will provide an equal measure of other technologies which will make them a one-stop box for everything you need entertainment-wise in the home. All those additional features imo will mean there will be less dollars spent purely on the gaming infrastructure and hardware - it's going to be a shared cost thing.

All my very humble opinion of course.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Consoles as we know them are dead. You will not recognise the 'next generation'. They will be home entertainment units aimed at a hugely expanded demographic and while they will play games they will provide an equal measure of other technologies which will make them a one-stop box for everything you need entertainment-wise in the home.
    We have these already, they are called Playstation 3s.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    I hope next gen is at least 3 to 5 years away.. There's know reason for a new system right now.. As long as great games keep releasing than why a new console..

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Luv_2_Game View Post
    I hope next gen is at least 3 to 5 years away.. There's know reason for a new system right now.. As long as great games keep releasing than why a new console..
    This is also my point of view. As long as 360 and PS3 can bring out fun and innovative experiences then there is no need. I think people are also forgetting that move and kinnect are still in their infancy and in the year or so ahead will bring new and awesomeexperiences themselves....and who knows what kind of crazy intergration Sony will bring between the PS3 and NGP...Kojima has already stated that he wants to make a game were you can play on both systems etc.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    This is also my point of view. As long as 360 and PS3 can bring out fun and innovative experiences then there is no need. I think people are also forgetting that move and kinnect are still in their infancy and in the year or so ahead will bring new and awesomeexperiences themselves....and who knows what kind of crazy intergration Sony will bring between the PS3 and NGP...Kojima has already stated that he wants to make a game were you can play on both systems etc.
    It seems other members on the forums seem to think graphics are the most important.. What about gameplay, what about every developer producing the same quality of games.. Because there still developers who make crappy PS3 games.. I wouldn't want those developers making crappy PS4 games.. I think Sony and Microsoft should take there times making there nex gen console.. There is no rush... With development cost rising if a new system release we'd be paying 100 dollars a game.. Gamers would be really **** off then..

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Luv_2_Game View Post
    It seems other members on the forums seem to think graphics are the most important.. What about gameplay, what about every developer producing the same quality of games.. Because there still developers who make crappy PS3 games.. I wouldn't want those developers making crappy PS4 games.. I think Sony and Microsoft should take there times making there nex gen console.. There is no rush... With development cost rising if a new system release we'd be paying 100 dollars a game.. Gamers would be really **** off then..
    You cant maunfacture gameplay out of hardware, that has to be created by the developer.
    But you are correct ease of devlopment, and the ability to easily leverage the power of the systems is very important, and why MS will naturally use an extension of Direct X and probably the current 360 archetecture.

Sony, they wont touch the cell with a 12 ft barge pole ever again, in my opinion.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I want the next gen to come, as mentioned both consoles are showing their age. I hate when playing on my ps3 and then bring up the xmb while in game and it takes a while to load, also takes ages to view and sync trophies. I want to be able to play console games with hardly any load times and better graphics. Give me next gen PLEASE.

EDIT:

Also read an artical that ubi soft has started to make games for the next gen.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    I always thought we'd see the next gen consoles holiday 2012 but if Microsoft is just now designing their GPU then I can't see the next Xbox being ready in that time. Maybe 2013 now. Still, it's exciting to finally get some news on the new consoles.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    We have these already, they are called Playstation 3s.
    I was thinking the same thing. lol

Thread Information