Page 212 of 212 FirstFirst ... 202212
Results 5,276 to 5,283 of 5283
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    They would go as low or as high as the market dictates. That's why when the economy was doing great, it created a labor shortage. It became a "worker's market". Workers were able to demand higher wages because the companies were desperate for workers and had to compete with other companies for them. We had fast food places that were offering $12-$15 STARTING pay and a hire bonus because they couldn't find enough people to work for them at the wages they were offering before.

But when the market goes the other way, then it's a "employer's market" and the wages go lower based on a worker SURPLUS in the market. That's the yin and yang of a free market.

As for businesses aren't people? Of course they are. They need people with capital to start them and people to run them. They aren't owned or run by themselves. They wouldn't exist without people behind them.

Anything detrimental you do to a business hurts PEOPLE. Say you call for a boycott of a corporation that makes cars. The person or persons who own the company are hurt. Their workers are then hurt if they are laid off or hours reduced. Then OTHER companies are hurt because you reduce your buying of parts from them...and THEIR owners are hurt and their workers are hurt.

So a company is a person by extension of the fact that anything beneficial or detrimental that happens to it DIRECTLY affects a person or persons associated with it.

When I was a kid, I used to shoplift videogames from Sears from time to time. I had been taught in public school the liberal mindset that corporations were faceless entities that I should not sympathize or care about. They were to be demonized at every chance. I was always told they are "greedy".

So because of this..... I had no problems with my conscience with stealing from a big company like Sears cuz the company can "afford" to take the loss. That they are so greedy that they can handle losing product at my hands. I was taught the mindset that as long as I wasn't stealing from a person (personal), but instead stealing from a rich faceless entity (non-personal)... that it's not so bad. The mindset that it's okay that Robin Hood is a thief, as long as he's stealing from rich people and handing it to poor people. The ol' "the end justifies the means" defense.

The reality is that if everybody decides to steal from Sears, the loss is gonna hit a PERSON.... be it through loss to shareholders, layoffs, increased prices to the public to cover losses or taxpayers who have to cover the loss due to a tax write off.

So if a company could own and run itself and involved no employees..... maybe I wouldn't give it the rights of a person. But as long as it is owned by a person and has persons working for it.... I consider it a person by proxy. Because what you do to a company affects a person at the end of the day.
    Corporations aren't people though. A corporation cannot run itself; it doesn't breath; it doesn't bleed blood; and it can't die or grow without a real live person. Just because it requires people, it doesn't mean it's people. Only the Supreme Court has ever ruled that corporations are "people" and they only ruled as such under admiralty law and in line with it. This is because it was giving power to the biggest corporation of them all; the corporation of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. (the all caps denotes this country's corporate status)

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Corporations aren't people though. A corporation cannot run itself; it doesn't breath; it doesn't bleed blood; and it can't die or grow without a real live person. Just because it requires people, it doesn't mean it's people. Only the Supreme Court has ever ruled that corporations are "people" and they only ruled as such under admiralty law and in line with it. This is because it was giving power to the biggest corporation of them all; the corporation of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. (the all caps denotes this country's corporate status)
    I didn't mean literally a person. It is a representation of a person or persons in the business world. When people say they hate Microsoft, they are really attacking those that own and run it. So while it isn't technically a person, it effectively is a person cuz anything good or bad that happens to it affects a person. That's why I think it should be given the majority of rights a person has. Cuz treating it differently than people is treating it's owners differently than people.

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Kinda disappointed no Americans here have brought up the blatant police brutality and overstepping of power going on in Ferguson right now.

I don't know how anyone can deny this country is becoming a police state. It's scary.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Overseer
    Apparently it means the Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security equip even the tiniest rural police departments with massive military vehicles, body armor and grenade launchers. The equipment is surplus from the long wars we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

To a hammer, everything resembles a nail. SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) teams were once used only in emergencies such as riots or robberies where hostages were taken. But today there are more than 50,000 "no-knock raids" a year.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...ntcmp=trending

americans don't realize it yet, but the signs have been out there for years. btw, all american police dept. are subject to isreali military training (they actually go there to get trained), apparently isrealis are great at making the local population more submissive.

Friendship is Carrots
    The police are becoming militarized to fight the American people. The Government views the poor and middle class as enemies to the state because we defy their self-centered interests. The militancy industrial complex set us on this path decades ago, and 9/11 secured the death of democracy and human rights in this country. It will only become worse as the Government realizes it can get away with more and more.

I've contemplated securing citizenship in another country so I can leave when things here begin falling apart. I know it's only as matter of time.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Overseer
    i've always thought that i would migrate to Canada if anything ever went down. but i bet i could easily go to india if i wanted to.

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.” - Adolf Hitler

Friendship is Carrots
    Canada, Germany, or Scotland is where I would move to. Canada is the most practical, since it's basically America except not crazy. Germany has a great economy though and I like how the Government is actually component. Scotland seems chill.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Forum Overseer
    unfortunately sooner or later all of the bigger economies are going to have similar controlling aspects. that's why somewhere like scotland would be probably a better idea. india to me would make sense because i'm already familiar with 99% of the culture and speak 80% of the people's language there.

Thread Information