Page 2 of 212 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 5283
  1. #26
    Super Elite
    btbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Moor
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    37
    Points
    1,541 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    One more point:

    The problem the GOP 2012 Conteners face is the tea party.
    The faction will force the candidates to race far far far to the right in order to win the nomination.

    The democrats and independents will be watching and taking notes.

    THEN- the eventual nominee will have to tact way way way back to the center right while walking through a mine field of all their primary statements/promises/policies.

    Not an easy feat to pull off.
    Thats how it is for every election. nomination rhetoric is always more extreme than campaign rhetoric. Obama and Clinton had a nasty bout, where McCain was taking notes, but that did not prove fruitful. It won't have as great of an impact you might think it has.

    Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

  2. #27
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,134
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,035 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Thats how it is for every election. nomination rhetoric is always more extreme than campaign rhetoric. Obama and Clinton had a nasty bout, where McCain was taking notes, but that did not prove fruitful. It won't have as great of an impact you might think it has.
    Clinton and Obama wasn't a race to the far left though. In fact both candidates were quite similar which is why the race was so contentious.

    That won't be the case in the GOP primary.
    Romney is nothing like Paul who is not like Bachmann who is A LOT like Palin who is nothing like Palenty.

    Paul won't move, Romney/Palenty/Newt CERTAINLY will... and Bachmann will push the bar as far right as she can.

    I really don't think Palin will run- she knows she is unelectable... even in the Primary.
    but were she to decide to do so... her popularity and likeness to Bachmann will push the bar even further right.

    Gonna be interesting.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  3. #28
    Master Guru
    Funeralfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Camas, Washington USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,543
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    2,180 (0 Banked)
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    poo on Ron Paul. and i have not seen one solid argument that backs why people do not like sarah palin on these forums. she did a LOT of great things for Alaska and her hometown. if i supported a woman to run the country, i'd vote for her. but i'm not so i wouldnt


    Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

  4. #29
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,914
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    69,868 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    if i supported a woman to run the country, i'd vote for her. but i'm not so i wouldnt

  5. #30
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,914
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    69,868 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    The only reason why he is president in the 1st place is cause he is black.
    You would have never seen this sentence 20 years ago. lol

  6. #31
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,407
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,605 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    The Pauls are certainly interesting. I respect the fact that when they talk about cutting spending... they don't leave anything off the table (ie military and entitlements)

    However I think they go too far. Too little regulation is just at dangerous as too much.
    I think they subscribe to the fantasy world where corporations will regulate themselves- they won't.
    And I think they don't give government regulations due credit for the standard of living (etc) we enjoy today.

    On a more fun side:

    Oh please let Palin and Bachmann run!!!!
    Newts already good to go... we just need the other stooges to throw their hats in the rink.

    Trump is a joke.

    Romney... the BYU basketball controversy has reignited the country's suspicion of mormons... oh... and Romneycare laid the framework for Obamacare, and don't think his primary opponents or the tea party will let that slide

    And Obama is doing fine. His approval rating is at or above where Bush Jr was (even after squandering the rally around the flag 9/11 event).

    And Kerry (and many others) have already proven that you can't win just by being the other guy.
    Solid points on all counts except the Paul family. Personally, I think their platforms are solid, especially Ron's platform. As for the rest, I'm right there with you which means...

  7. #32
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,382
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    5,212 (11,045 Banked)
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I don't care much for Eliot Spitzer or whatever his name is, he does tend to put words in people's mouths and I am glade Ron called him out on that bull****.




    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-09-2011 at 22:22.

  8. #33
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    I am probably going to have to change my status from Independent to Republican because I don't see any other candidate (at this point) that I would vote for over Ron Paul. I really don't like the fact that an Independent cannot vote in primaries for either party, and I think if they could you would see a lot more registered that way.... more of a free flowing system IMO.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  9. #34
    Master Guru
    Funeralfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Camas, Washington USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,543
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    2,180 (0 Banked)
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I don't care much for Eliot Spitzer or whatever his name is, he does tend to put words in people's mouths and I am glade Ron called him out on that bull****.




    Ron Paul is the poor man's Ross Perot

    2016. Chris Christie i'm calling it


    Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

  10. #35
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    Ron Paul is the poor man's Ross Perot
    Curious, why the dislike of RP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    2016. Chris Christie i'm calling it
    Haven't seen much of him, but the LITTLE I have seen I have mostly liked.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  11. #36
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,630
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    1,035 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A women will be president
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  12. #37
    Elite Sage
    MrFenwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tehachapi, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,539
    Rep Power
    95
    Points
    5,657 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Donald Trump. Oh yeah.
    Alive and well, running my own business and having fun. Visit it below;
    Letterpress Invitations and Stationary

  13. #38
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,630
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    1,035 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A women will run the u.s, because a history has to be broken and 2012 is it or the next election
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  14. #39
    Super Elite
    btbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Moor
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    37
    Points
    1,541 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    A women will run the u.s, because a history has to be broken and 2012 is it or the next election
    Nothing says it has to be broken. I'm not opposed to a female president, but i don't want one for the sake of breaking history. I would rather have competent individuals in the office, not a minority who go their on a the "token" ticket.

    Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

  15. #40
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,134
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,035 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    I am probably going to have to change my status from Independent to Republican because I don't see any other candidate (at this point) that I would vote for over Ron Paul. I really don't like the fact that an Independent cannot vote in primaries for either party, and I think if they could you would see a lot more registered that way.... more of a free flowing system IMO.
    I'll be participating in the "Operation Chaos" 2012

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  16. #41
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,208
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    42,951 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I envy you guys with your awesome electoral system.

    All we get in Australia is the same two groups going head to head. Which is generally a douche or a turd sandwich.

    Rudd was the best PM we had in ages and lots of people loved him but then the government switched him with a fricken Ginger.

    That is how messed up Australia is.

    You guys are lucky.

  17. #42
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,134
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,035 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Actually- I feel that the electoral college is very outdated and needs to be scrapped.

    the fact that a state can go 50.1 to 49.9... and yet someone gets ALL that state electoral votes doesn't really feel like democracy.

    =====================

    Edit-

    The upheaval in states like WI, OH, PA, IN, MI, is going to have an impact at the ballot box as well...
    A lot of anger out there right now...
    Last edited by DayWalker; 03-10-2011 at 03:14.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  18. #43
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Meh, the electoral college still serves a purpose, it helps ensure less populated areas and minority interests still get a voice and are represented.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  19. #44
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,134
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,035 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Meh, the electoral college still serves a purpose, it helps ensure less populated areas and minority interests still get a voice and are represented.
    how so?

    and how does it do that better than a proportional dividing of a states electoral votes?

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  20. #45
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Dividing electoral votes? In that case you say keep the electoral college, but modify it?

    It helps give minorities more of a voice because they tend to congregate in high population areas where when pooled together they are able to shift ALL of the votes one way or another, that's a lot of power.

    If it was a PURE popular vote, candidates would likely worry most with appealing to the majority of the voters and mostly in densely populated areas rather than worrying as much about rural locations.

    I do however understand your dislike with the current system, I just don't think the con's far out weigh the pro's like you seem to think.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  21. #46
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,134
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,035 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't see your point.

    right now- besides Nebraska... the popular vote decides where ALL electoral votes go. Thus the minority vote counts for nothing.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  22. #47
    Veteran
    weskurtz81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,845
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    18,996 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    I don't see your point.

    right now- besides Nebraska... the popular vote decides where ALL electoral votes go. Thus the minority vote counts for nothing.
    Besides Nebraska and Maine IIRC.

    Yes, the popular votes in the states do. But, like I said, minority groups tend to group together in cities, and in populous states with high minority concentrations, they have the ability to swing ALL of the electoral votes to a candidate. So, if it were a popular vote, it would be one for one, but if minorities turned out heavy in a few states where popular vote might only have been separated by 10's of thousands of votes, all the electoral votes would go to which ever candidate the minorities voted for. It essentially gives them more power on a national election than a popular vote would, which is part of the reason candidates have to target the minority vote, because it's able to swing an entire states electoral vote (depends on the state though).
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"


  23. #48
    Master Guru
    Funeralfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Camas, Washington USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,543
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    2,180 (0 Banked)
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    Meh, the electoral college still serves a purpose, it helps ensure less populated areas and minority interests still get a voice and are represented.
    horse****. no matter what every county votes. it's all up to king county and that's a fact

    and whoever told you guys the tea party is just crazy right-wingers you're insane, it's FULL of independents and even democrats. it's more of a middle right-wing
    Last edited by Funeralfog; 03-10-2011 at 04:32.


    Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

  24. #49
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,134
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,035 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post

    and whoever told you guys the tea party is just crazy right-wingers you're insane, it's FULL of independents and even democrats. it's more of a middle right-wing
    no.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  25. #50
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,630
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    1,035 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Be that as it may, a female president will changes things like no male president ever could
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.