Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

New Square Enix studio to focus on Xbox 720, PS4, Wii 2

Square Enix is to open a second Canadian development studio in preparation for the next generation of home consoles.

Planned to open in 2012 with at least 100 employees, it will be based in either Montreal, Quebec or Toronto, according to Canadian paper La Presse (via GI.biz).

The director of the publisher's Eidos Montreal studio, which is currently developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, said of the move: "The new consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will require more attention and more staff. We want to prepare ourselves."

The final location of the new studio is to be decided in May, with D'Astous saying "the negotiating process has begun".

Earlier this year, Crysis maker Crytek told CVG that it expects a new console generation to arrive by 2013, while Just Cause dev Avalanche told us that it's "prepared" for any sudden announcement of a successor to the Xbox 360.

Some publishers appear less keen on the prospect, with THQ CEO Brian Farrell saying last October that new consoles are the "last thing" the industry needs.

PlayStation overlord Kaz Hirai claimed last month that PS4 isn't even on the agenda behind closed doors at Sony right now.

[ Source: GamesIndustry.biz ]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I think the sony boss is lieing

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I think they are to. I know they don't wanna let another system come out before them again or a year later.I'm on to you sony!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Ubi soft said last year I think that they are working on next gen games too, my guess 2012 we might see the ps4, and thank **** as well.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Master Guru
    I hope we get to see Final Fantasy 7 at launch of ps4!
    A man can dream.

Forum Sage

I guess we'll see. Sony had better be more friendly next time around and especially in the USA. I think they've damaged their image in America this generation with regards to what they've done. False advertising by removing features, stamping out home brew gaming and not releasing firmware updates for the past year that really mean much to the consumers at large. I think they've really dropped the ball this gen. I'm certainly going to be much more cautious next gen. I'm going to scrutinize much more and I'm going to question much more. I'm also not going to buy into the hype of all the touted features that they will announce. Sony has broken the consumers' trust. I may have to sit next gen out.

Why not a remake of FF6 or FF8?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SonyTurkishDefence View Post
    Why not a remake of FF6 or FF8?
    I would take Final fantasy 8 but final fantasy 7 is far superior and i'll take legend of the dragoon to!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    New Square Enix studio to focus on Xbox 720 PS4, Wii 2
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    All I'm waiting for is to see some more next gen footage like the unreal Samaritan demo

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Fixed.
    This.

On a side note: has anyone else noticed that all generations had at least 3 iterations of Final Fantasy in their library while this one had XIII only?

NES: FF, FFII, FFIII
    SNES: FFIV, FFV, FFVI
    PSONE: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX
    PS2: FFX, FFXI, FFXII
    PS3: FFXIII
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by thorzilla View Post
    this.

On a side note: Has anyone else noticed that all generations had at least 3 iterations of final fantasy in their library while this one had xiii only?

Nes: Ff, ffii, ffiii
    snes: Ffiv, ffv, ffvi
    psone: Ffvii, ffviii, ffix
    ps2: Ffx, ffxi, ffxii
    ps3: Ffxiii
    ffxiii, ffxiii-2, ffxiv
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    This.

On a side note: has anyone else noticed that all generations had at least 3 iterations of Final Fantasy in their library while this one had XIII only?

NES: FF, FFII, FFIII
    SNES: FFIV, FFV, FFVI
    PSONE: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX
    PS2: FFX, FFXI, FFXII
    PS3: FFXIII
    Someone said it best here when they said "How the mighty have fallen" here on psu. Square enix really needs to step it up and make atleast one good final fantasy. I really hope square enix proves me wrong and Makes a great game. (FFversus13)

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    3 FFs per gen mean 1, 2, 3 etc. not spinoffs. We've had 2 so far (13 and 14), so we need 15 by next year not that anyone probably gives a ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    ffxiii, ffxiii-2, ffxiv
    XIV is not out and who knows if it will since we haven't had news for it in ages. Also, I didn't count X-2, so no reason to count XIII-2 or any other spin off. I meant games for the main saga.

If I were to count all other spin offs, I would have to count those Chocobo Dungeon games for PSOne, Ehrgeiz, Chocobo Racing, etc, which would still overwhelm the amount of FFs SE has launched this gen.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Guru
    They should go ahead and can Final fantasy 14.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Fixed.
    ^^This.

On a side note: Square Enix should have had a studio to focus on this gen.

Elite Member
    FFXIIIVersus PS4/X720 launch title confirmed?

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Not buying it.

UberMadness
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    Ubi soft said last year I think that they are working on next gen games too, my guess 2012 we might see the ps4, and thank **** as well.
    Seems like 2013 at earliest since they are opening in 2012. they said they are opening the studio with 100 employees which is tiny compared to staff for other games like Halo.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by UberMadness View Post
    Seems like 2013 at earliest since they are opening in 2012. they said they are opening the studio with 100 employees which is tiny compared to staff for other games like Halo.
    Yes, i thought everyone knew that the Mayan calendar was just a countdown to the PS4

Forum Sage
    As far as I know, Square Enix has already been working on a next-gen engine. They were caught unprepared for the needs of PS3/Xbox 360/current PC development at the beginning of this generation, which were the main source of the problems & length of FFXIII's development. Having learnt from the past, they probably don't want to miss the train as badly next time.

Also, I didn't count X-2, so no reason to count XIII-2 or any other spin off. I meant games for the main saga.

If I were to count all other spin offs, I would have to count those Chocobo Dungeon games for PSOne, Ehrgeiz, Chocobo Racing, etc, which would still overwhelm the amount of FFs SE has launched this gen.
    Uhh... You're not seriously comparing X-2 & especially XIII-2 to Chocobo Dungeon? XIII-2 will probably be bigger & better than XIII. Just because it's a sequel doesn't lessen the importance of it at all. And while X-2 had a lighter mood (for the most part) than X, that doesn't remove the fact that it was still a big game with tons to do. You might've not liked the Charlie's Angels-esque thing they were going for the game, but it's still a big FF release not in any way comparable to any Chocobo Racing/Dungeon game.
    Last edited by Azu; 03-18-2011 at 04:32.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    This. Not that I expect anything good to come of them setting up a western studio anyway. Yippee more Mindjack and Front Mission Evolved level trash

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    This. Not that I expect anything good to come of them setting up a western studio anyway. Yippee more Mindjack and Front Mission Evolved level trash
    Mindjack was made by a Japanese studio and Front Mission Evolved wasn't made by any Square Enix studio, so I have a hard time understanding why the hell would those names be needed to be brought up here? You're forgetting that Eidos and all that they had is now part of Square Enix. So this is basically ex-Eidos setting up a new studio, not some Wada Master Plan.

And no good can come up with this? Depends on what kind of talent they'll attract there. In the best case scenario we could, for all we know, very well see the next Deus Ex: Human Revolution level production from this new studio. Let's not be hasty in judging something that is not even close to being a reality.

They have had plenty of studios that have focused on this gen.
    Last edited by Azu; 03-19-2011 at 08:35.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Thread Information