View Poll Results: Are you ready for the next gen?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

34 47.89%
  • maybe in a few years

15 21.13%
  • I don't care. I'm having too much fun with my ps3

22 30.99%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNL View Post
    No, it wont last 10 years. It's already dated and the software lacks finesse.
    Sony will certainly support it for 10 years, as they did the PS2. I think thats the point of all this 10 years talk

Edit: unless you're being sarcastic, can't really tell xD
    Last edited by Nitey; 03-26-2011 at 00:05.

Dedicated Member
    sure... if the dang PS3 would hold up and not ylod...

I really hope PS4 is better made. my PS2 is still going strong and I had it since launch.

anyway, so yeah, I think I"m ready for the PS4 already.

bring back backward compatibility Sony!!!

El Presidente
    Don't want new consoles. Played my PS2 right up until august-september-ish 2010. PS3 is perfectly capable of lasting longer and I want it to.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

10 years with proper care i can I still have my sega saturn and dreamcast. ^__^

Really don't want another playstation right now, it feel like the PS3 is only just entering it's prime and starting to get a few decent exclusives under it's belt. It feels like it's been running at half speed up till now and have now stepped up a gear, I want the current console to pushed to it's limit's before they put a new one out.

Apprentice
    I'd say it has a good solid 3 years before a new ps comes out.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Why do people still think Sony is going to have the PS3 for 10 years?

They said they'd SUPPORT the PS3 for at least 10 years, they did it with the PS2 (its actually over 10 years).
    Exactly.

it is really sad that people don't get this one simple concept.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    Exactly.

it is really sad that people don't get this one simple concept.
    I think it's sad that people can't seem to grasp the signs. Do you think the boss of Sony might know what he's talking about?

"As regards home consoles, the PS3 was put into business in 2006, and it has a 10 year life cycle," Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai told Japanese news website PC Impress Watch (translated for Eurogamer by Keza MacDonald) following the announcement of the Next Generation Portable last month.
    "This means that we aren't even at the halfway point. There are certainly many more desirable first and third party titles coming out. As we announce and implement new initiatives on an annual basis**, I still believe in the importance of improving the software and feature set of the PS3.
    "I think the value of the PS3 will continue to rise. Because of this, a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now. That is to say, we are still concentrating fully upon the PS3. Right now, I appeal to you to think of the PS3 and NGP as a new, co-operative partnership."
    Also, as I have stated in other threads, there is a strong indication that we could get a PS3.5 before 4:

PS3.5: Sony Patent Shows Plans To Increase PS3′s Power With External Processor

Electronic Arts chief creative officer Rich Hilleman is one of many people who expect this current generation to drag on and on. He believes that incremental updates will extend the lives of the PS3 and Xbox 360, and that a new line of systems won't happen until we see notable upgrades to the current machines.
    "I expect we’ll see a PlayStation 3.5 before we see a PlayStation 4 and an Xbox 560 before we see an Xbox 720," he states.
    Source.

So what signs do you have to show that we will get a PS4 soon? Will you drag up the same old release dates for PS, PS2 and PS3? Haha.

I'm a real boy!
    The PS3 will be sold in retail until at least 2016, yes.

Forum Sage
    What would this 'PS3.5' be that everyone keeps talking about? A slightly upgraded PS3 that splits the market? Isn't the reason people buy consoles is because they want to buy something that plays the latest games out of the box on a par with everyone else?

Whoever buys a 'PS3.5' would be nothing short of a massive idiot.

Stupid Tapatalk

I'm a real boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    What would this 'PS3.5' be that everyone keeps talking about? A slightly upgraded PS3 that splits the market? Isn't the reason people buy consoles is because they want to buy something that plays the latest games out of the box on a par with everyone else?

Stupid Tapatalk
    Depends how it's marketed and what the games are.

It would be a "PS4", while fans may deem it a PS3.5, much like the Wii wasn't considered a true "next gen" console based off of the graphics.

Forum Sage
    If it played games a PS3 can't play it'd be a PS4. However if it had games that played on the current console but performed slightly better on the PS3.5 then I think that would be the worst idea Sony could ever make.

Stupid Tapatalk

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Stupid Tapatalk
    Haha Slightly? That patent shows an added processing module and four more sub processing units and probably the coolest part:

PE 500 is closely associated with a shared (main) memory 514 through a high bandwidth memory connection 516. Although the memory 514 preferably is a dynamic random access memory (DRAM), the memory 514 could be implemented using other means, e.g., as a static random access memory (SRAM), a magnetic random access memory (MRAM), an optical memory, a holographic memory, etc.
    Source

IMHO, a PS3 with 1 processing element and 7 sub processors maximising into a PS3 with 2 processing elements and 11 sup processors and extended RAM is not so slight.

Dedicated Member
    I think it can go for 2-3 more years easy. Unless they decide to release a new ps3 with backwards compatibility which will extend its life by another year and a half so its almost till 2017! Hooray!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I wish it could last 10 years but I seriously feel that memory canstrains will put a n early end to the black box. That along with this multi-platform BS, how could it last. Hopefully I'm wrong tough.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I think it is safe to say that the console will last 10yrs. Hell the PS2 still has new games coming out this year. Will the PS3 be Sony's priority console? Probably not. I am sure the PS4 will launch in about 2 years.

Forum Sage
    If it played games a PS3 can't play it'd be a PS4. However if it had games that played on the current console but performed slightly better on the PS3.5 then I think that would be the worst idea Sony could ever make.

Stupid Tapatalk
    If the current PS3 played the games the PS3.5 did, how would it split the market exactly?

The PS4 would do that. Just like the PS3 did to the PS2.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    Haha Slightly? That patent shows an added processing module and four more sub processing units and probably the coolest part:

Source

IMHO, a PS3 with 1 processing element and 7 sub processors maximising into a PS3 with 2 processing elements and 11 sup processors and extended RAM is not so slight.
    Ok then. Even if it's vastly upgraded it will still split the market. If they marketed it as the PS3.5 it's still technically a PS3 that just has better performance. It's either a PS3 or a PS4. You wont get a PS3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    If the current PS3 played the games the PS3.5 did, how would it split the market exactly?

The PS4 would do that. Just like the PS3 did to the PS2.
    Ok look at this way. Console gamers complain about how when gaming on a PC someone out there is going to have a better PC than them. If you are both playing a certain game and that game runs smoother and faster on someone else's console that person will be at an advantage over the person not playing it as smooth.

It will split the market. It's not like releasing a brand new console. It's releasing a console with better performance than the other whilst still being the same. They'd be better of just making a straight up PS4

Master Poster
    I think yes, it could. It has a lot of powerful technology in there which recent games aren't making use of.

Apprentice
    I just hope there will be atleast one next-gen console that still have a normal gamepad and not this motion controlled crap. I like playing my games from my sofa laid back and if all consoles that comes next only uses motion control then my gaming days are over.
    And yes I get my exercise in the gym and from cardio training. I play games when I want to relax.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Everyone else might be winding down but right now PS3 has more steam than ever with 3D, Move and a ton of exclusive hardcore games coming.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    I think it can but I expect next next gen *as people still seem to call this next gen even though its current gen* by 2014 but i can see ps3 still being supported till 2016 But i think as soon as the 10 year cycle reaches they will stop almost instantly unlike PS2.

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    23 votes. Well, the votes are in, Sony, bring the ps4.
    Hey, Sony, it's not my fault Rules are Rules majority rules.
    Last edited by Silvy; 03-28-2011 at 01:28.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

UberMadness
    I think that extra "upgrade" will depend heavily on its effectiveness....

didnt PC supposed to have USB plugged ram or something?? if i am correct, it wasnt very effective was it?

Maybe PS4 will come out with that "upgrade" in mind for its architecture.

Ok then. Even if it's vastly upgraded it will still split the market. If they marketed it as the PS3.5 it's still technically a PS3 that just has better performance. It's either a PS3 or a PS4. You wont get a PS3.5.

Ok look at this way. Console gamers complain about how when gaming on a PC someone out there is going to have a better PC than them. If you are both playing a certain game and that game runs smoother and faster on someone else's console that person will be at an advantage over the person not playing it as smooth.

It will split the market. It's not like releasing a brand new console. It's releasing a console with better performance than the other whilst still being the same. They'd be better of just making a straight up PS4

since when does splitting the market = fail??

have you heard of this thing called Kinect?? it split xbox 360 market and it is doing pretty well.

i dont see you go doom and gloom on that. LoL go figures.

Also,
    Ohhh.. how about Wii balance board??

these two also partially split the market.
    Wii motion Plus??

PS Move??

but go ahead and ignore the facts. s
    Last edited by UberMadness; 03-28-2011 at 02:34.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by UberMadness View Post
    I think that extra "upgrade" will depend heavily on its effectiveness....

didnt PC supposed to have USB plugged ram or something?? if i am correct, it wasnt very effective was it?

Maybe PS4 will come out with that "upgrade" in mind for its architecture.

since when does splitting the market = fail??

have you heard of this thing called Kinect?? it split xbox 360 market and it is doing pretty well.

i dont see you go doom and gloom on that. LoL go figures.

Also,
    Ohhh.. how about Wii balance board??

these two also partially split the market.
    Wii motion Plus??

PS Move??

but go ahead and ignore the facts. s
    Ah, the classic Uber, ignore the 'facts' and and try to ridicule with little smileys. Well, I'm not ignoring any of the facts. Also, what are you trying to insinuate with the bolded part? Perhaps you don't see me talking negatively about Kinect because I have no interest In it so I have no reason to go in the threads relating it.

The point I'm making is what would be the point in making a slightly upgraded PS3 when they could go out and make a fully fledged PS4?

Do you really see developers going out of their way to make a slightly better version of a PS3 game for someone with a 3.5?
    Unless they make Games for the weaker SKU in mind, in this instance it'd be the standard PS3, what benefits will this new one give? I doubt they'll make it better to the extent of where it will actually display games at 1920x1080 60FPS. I can't see them upgrading any of the SPU's to perform more/faster calculations because that also will alienate people.

It's like the PSP-1000 and the GO (I'm sure it was a version before the Go but I'm not 100% sure) the latter of the two was given an upgrade and received more ram than the previous irritation yet games still had to be made for the weaker version in mind and I'm sure (maybe someone can clarify) that none of the games released after it ever received any benefits of the extra power it had.

Imo, if I were Sony, I wouldn't be bothered with releasing a console with a minor upgrade. They should just hold of and wait a complete new console. I don't understand who'd buy a minor upgrade with who ever has one already. Maybe if you've haven't got one already but I know if they said they were going to release it they won't get any of my money until the PS4 arrives.

Stupid Tapatalk

Thread Information