View Poll Results: Are you ready for the next gen?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

34 47.89%
  • maybe in a few years

15 21.13%
  • I don't care. I'm having too much fun with my ps3

22 30.99%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4

I always see people discussing this and most miss the point. The PS3 can last for 10 years. One need only look at the PS2, which is still produced and sold today, to see this is possible. But lasting for 10 years does not mean that the PS4 will not be released during that 10 year time frame. Both can coexist, at their respective price points, just as the PS2/PS3 do now.

In fact, as long as the PS2 continues to be profitable, I would not be surprised to see the PS2, PS3 and PS4 on store shelves in the coming years. Many in the world cannot afford the PS3 now or an upcoming PS4, so the PS2 is still a viable financial alternative for them. And they likely don't own an HDTV either.

Amazing what Sony and game developers were able to do with the PS2 and only 32 meg of RAM.

Master Guru
    Good first post Cylon.

A lot of people don't seem to understand Sony's 10 year console plan. It's not that they're hyping up their machine to outlast everything else for a period of 10 years and during that 10 year stretch there won't be another Playstation. It's quite the opposite. Sony is just putting faith into the consumer that if you buy a Playstation console you're getting your money's worth. And then some.

The PS3 will last for probably 15 years because it's such an advanced piece of hardware. PS3 games will look and perform just as good as some of the so called next generation games once the next generation begins. This is all due to Sony's outlook on the future. The Cell is a very powerful piece of architecture. Sony made the right move by introducing the Cell to their user base. Despite the fact that a lot of developers aren't talented enough to harness the power of the Cell it still pays dividends in the end. Look at some of Sony's flag ship exclusives such as the Uncharted series, the Killzone series and God of War III just to name a few. They're all simply breath taking games. Proving that even in 3 years, we will still be getting great games on the PS3.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    This is all due to Sony's outlook on the future.
    yup, tis to do with Japanese business culture, i prefer it myself ^_^ Can safely invest in a product knowing it wont be abandoned any time soon ftw

Elite Member

Good first post Cylon.

A lot of people don't seem to understand Sony's 10 year console plan. It's not that they're hyping up their machine to outlast everything else for a period of 10 years and during that 10 year stretch there won't be another Playstation. It's quite the opposite. Sony is just putting faith into the consumer that if you buy a Playstation console you're getting your money's worth. And then some.

The PS3 will last for probably 15 years because it's such an advanced piece of hardware. PS3 games will look and perform just as good as some of the so called next generation games once the next generation begins. This is all due to Sony's outlook on the future. The Cell is a very powerful piece of architecture. Sony made the right move by introducing the Cell to their user base. Despite the fact that a lot of developers aren't talented enough to harness the power of the Cell it still pays dividends in the end. Look at some of Sony's flag ship exclusives such as the Uncharted series, the Killzone series and God of War III just to name a few. They're all simply breath taking games. Proving that even in 3 years, we will still be getting great games on the PS3.
    I've said it before, but how long a console lasts is not about how advanced it's hardware is, it is how well it sells and how much business it is making. a high tech turd that is not selling will be abandoned quicker then something weaker but selling like hotcakes.

Seems like people are answering to How "future proof" is the PS3 tech? rather then Will Sony support the PS3 10 years? Which to me seems totally a economic decision rather then a tech one.

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Lilith View Post
    Seems like people are answering to How "future proof" is the PS3 tech? rather then Will Sony support the PS3 10 years? Which to me seems totally a economic decision rather then a tech one.
    Well I imagine its both. Like the PS2 for example, is still selling. Who on earth is purchasing them? The question probably covers both the issue of Sony supporting the console, and whether or not people would still be interested in purchasing the tech after ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Well I imagine its both. Like the PS2 for example, is still selling. Who on earth is purchasing them? The question probably covers both the issue of Sony supporting the console, and whether or not people would still be interested in purchasing the tech after ten years.
    The PS2 sold 4.5 million consoles worldwide in 2010 according to VGChartz.com, down 24% from 2009 sales. Granted, their figures are not exact, but likely in the ballpark. That is an incredible amount for a console that is over 10 years old.

If I had to guess who is buying them, I would say:

• Those looking to enjoy PS2 games on a new console with warranty.
    • Those who don't have a lot of money and are happy with the lower price/cheap games.
    • Those in Third World countries who make far less than those in the richer nations.
    • Those who don't own an HDTV to fully enjoy the PS3/360.
    • Those to whom backwards compatibility was important and lost it due to PS3 failure or upgrading to a Slim PS3.

The local Best Buy stores near me sell about a few every week, or so it seems. I bought three of the latest slim PS2 models (2 black and 1 silver) just so I could go all retro/classic someday and play my old collection of games.

One problem is that the super thin LED HDTV's will likely start dropping the component cable inputs at some point in the near future, as they take too much space. Which means I need to start looking for a nice component to HDMI converter box.

Consider all those great PS2 games. Then marvel at the fact that they did it all in 32 megs of ram. And no patches after the game was released. It had to be working going out the door to the consumer.

Good first post Cylon.
    Thank you.

I decided to actually logon to the site and begin participating in the forums.

Imagine seeing the PS4 with a Cell processor that has 4 PPU's and 32 SPU's. And developers who have now mastered the first Cell processor getting their hands on that for the next generation, where the learning/programming curve would be far, less steep. Most of their existing knowledge and libraries could be carried over saving them development money too.

NGP in 2011, and then hints of the PS4 in 2013, arriving for the holiday buying season in 2014.
    Last edited by Staticneuron; 04-01-2011 at 10:14.

Superior Member
    I think it will last 10 years as a media station and DVD player. They should update the XMB system a whole lot IMO though....
    SONY will support it even more than 10 years, i believe, but as a gaming console I think they will have to update the hardware (release a new console) to catch on in a couple of years.

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon451 View Post
    The PS2 sold 4.5 million consoles worldwide in 2010 according to VGChartz.com, down 24% from 2009 sales. Granted, their figures are not exact, but likely in the ballpark. That is an incredible amount for a console that is over 10 years old.
    First things first.

1. Welcome to the Forums. It is always great to have new members (and possible old lurkers) participate in the conversations. It livens up the place.

2. As an unofficial rule VGchartz isn't allowed here. We tend to respect the media trackers (NPD, Charttrack GFK, Media Create and/or Enterbrain(famitsu) ) and of course the official shipment numbers from the companies. According to Sony the PS2 shipped 6.9 million units for the calendar year of 2010.

3. Please don't double post. That is actually against the rules, and if you are unfamiliar with them, you can find them here ------> RULES

4. The "who on earth was buying them" comment was a rhetorical question, but I still like your response. It looks like we have another articulate and well thought out poster added to our ranks. Again, Thank you and welcome to the forums.

Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    I am ready for the the next gen .. whatever that might be but i will always still be playing Playstation 3 and 2.
    For me, I think I'm gonna stay with the PS3 forever. How much better can they really make it that warrants buying a new one. But its like that for most game platforms, the graphics are so great, and everything is soo powerful, it seems they've run they're course. Now as for game development, that will continue because the PS3 is still kicking ***.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Superior Member
    yeah i think it can easily!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information