Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru

Why can't multiplatform games have the same levels of quality than PS3 exclusives?

I know it sounds like a "duh" question, but I mean, why are most multiplatform games lacking in the quality department (graphics, performance, etc) when compared to PS3 exclusives. And not just that, why is that even if unnoticeable, most of these multiplatform games seem to be a bit better on the X360? Is it just the better RAM? Take Crysis 2, most reviews say that, although as minimal as it is, there's a tiny difference regarding resolution, framerate and ligths in favor of the X360.

So, how come when a game is a PS3 exclusive, it seems, there's no way other console game can match it in quality terms, but multiplatform games can't match these standards? Is it all a matter of not wasting much money using 3 different developing teams?

PLEASE DON'T START ANOTHER CONSOLES WARS THREAD, KEEP IT CIVIL. BOTH CONSOLES HAVE DEMONSTRATED THAT THEY DELIVERED GREAT GAMES THIS GEN, NO QUESTION ABOUT THAT. THERE'S NO NEED TO MAKE THIS THREAD A BAN FEST. THX.
    Last edited by sergeriver; 03-25-2011 at 14:37.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

PHAT boy gone slim
    PS3 exclusives are built from the ground up for the PS3 in mind. Multi-plats are most probably PC ports.

PS3 dev's solely use the PS3 so know how to get the most from it, multiplat games wouldn't be cost effective to have dedicated builds for each format, therefore they pick the one they know best and just simply port it across.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJackson85 View Post
    PS3 exclusives are built from the ground up for the PS3 in mind. Multi-plats are most probably PC ports.

PS3 dev's solely use the PS3 so know how to get the most from it, multiplat games wouldn't be cost effective to have dedicated builds for each format, therefore they pick the one they know best and just simply port it across.
    But why is it always the X360 the platform that has the edge, even if minimal, when itm come to graphics, framerate, etc? Is it because it's more PC like to write code?
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeriver View Post
    But why is it always the X360 the platform that has the edge, even if minimal, when itm come to graphics, framerate, etc? Is it because it's more PC like to write code?
    Yes..basically the 360 is more like a PC under the hood than the PS3 is. Also because the games developed for Microsoft 360 console are made on a Microsoft Windows PC..I think that has a lot to do with it.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Xbox being simiar to PC makes it easier due to familiarity most develoeprs have worked with x86 for many many years unlike the Cell Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJackson85 View Post

Thesedays Games are rarely Pc ports its the other way around its why PC versions often run like crap on super powerful hardware.
    Last edited by keefy; 03-25-2011 at 14:59.

Master Guru
    I'm not even trying to match consoles to a high-end PC, which is impossible, since both consoles are technologically outdated. However, I'd like devs to deliver the same product for both consoles, since I pay the same price for one or the other console version. I, for instance, am building a whole new PC for BF3, because I know that both consoles versions will have a lot of limitations. But, take Crysis 2, just because it's new. Crytek did a terrific work, apparently, since I still didn't get the game, but based on most reviews, trying to get the same game for both consoles. But, there still are some minor differences in favor of X360. But, for what I've seen so far, Crysis 2 by no means can match KZ3 graphics, I can't tell about the performance, but KZ3 is great in this department too.

Sublimely Static
    Of course. Let us not forget API's vs ML code. MS is much better at creating API's which makes it easier for devs to extract good performance out of the hardware. I hear that sony has gotten better in that regards but considering the gap between MP and exclusive, on tends to think that the devs that solved the issues in their own manner (for thier own design goals) have the edge. Not only in terms of looks, but performance as well.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Cost/profit /thread

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Cost/profit /thread
    Then charge PS3 users $50 not $60.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    PS3 users should stop buying games that they feel aren't worth $60.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    PS3 users should stop buying games that they feel aren't worth $60.
    Why? I just want to know that the game I got for my PS3 beahves as good as in an X360, because I paid the same $60 than X360 users. I don't want to own an PS3, an X360, the Nintendo for my kid, and a high-end PC just for gaming. The PS4 should be capable to handle multiplatform games as well as the lead developing platform. Exclusives are the least. You can't just get a console for its exclusive games. It doesn't make sense.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    The 360's architecture is closer to a PC then the PS3 is, which makes it alot easier for Dev's to optimize it for that platform, not that noticeable anymore though since most Dev's have made 1-2 PS3 games now and have learned from their mistakes, and i don't really agree with you when it comes to PS3 exclusives quality over multiplat, it comes down to the level of polish, and since PS3 exclusives main job is to sell consoles that means that Sony as a publisher wants those games to show the power of the console, which mean exclusive Dev's get alot more time and resources.

But some multiplat titles receives the same love from Dev's/publishers (Dead Space 2 and a few others come to mind).

Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous are meant to be system sellers.

A multiplat games is not a system seller parse, so there is really no need to spend more resources then needed to match the same high quality.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Moved the discussion to the MP thread...
    LMAO

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    While the architecture point is a very good point, and the cost of optimizing more for the PS3 in terms of knowledge growth of the dev's and time are the main factors. Mass Effect 2 pretty much proves that point when the did take the time/effort required to port and make the most of the PS3. The reality is that MOST multiplat's are w/o looking under a microscope are next to indistinguishable on two TVs side by side being played at a normal viewing distance.

Does the PS3 often get the slightly shorter end of the stick on this, sure but for the most part, it's only the smack talking Jacks that care. There have been a few exceptions where the PS3 port has been woefully worse, but then look at games like FFIII for the opposite perspective.

So, that said, I don't think multi-plats that are fairly on-par on both systems sway anyone but the people looking at it with a microscope (and that's a small percentage of the gaming crowd) and exclusives are where it's at. To be honest both sides have lost exclusives, both sides got good exclusives, Sony's IMO are a bit better exclusives and the DO have the graphical wow factor.

Forum Sage
    Because Sony decided to go for the cell what made the PS3 hard to make games for. Developers only get a certain amount of resources for each platform when making a multiplatform game so they are less likely to throw loads of money at it to max out either console compared to exclusives games where Sony are more willing to throw handfuls of cash at the developer to get the results they do get.

It all comes down to money

Forum Elder
    Honestly, i've never bothered with the differences between X game on Xbox or PS3. I buy my games on the platform most of my friends are playing.

These differences are nothing but fanboy debates. Most of the time, i've never seen these differences between consoles anyway...

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous are meant to be system sellers.
    Yes, they are , but that doesn't mean they don't have state-of-the-art graphics, and they happen to have great stories, exception made for KZ2. KZ3 story was much better IMO.

I'm a real boy!
    Why? I just want to know that the game I got for my PS3 beahves as good as in an X360, because I paid the same $60 than X360 users. I don't want to own an PS3, an X360, the Nintendo for my kid, and a high-end PC just for gaming. The PS4 should be capable to handle multiplatform games as well as the lead developing platform. Exclusives are the least. You can't just get a console for its exclusive games. It doesn't make sense.
    Because that's how capitalism works, and that's how consumers speak to corporations. If you're dissatisfied with a product don't continue to buy it and complain about it on the internet. Stop buying the product.

When a consumer continues to buy a product, despite feeling they are paying more than they should for the quality they receive then that tells the company in question who is selling said product that they are selling the product at an acceptable price. Unless you're able to grab media attention and create a PR disaster for the company... then complaining on a forum like this that it's "unfair" is nothing but blowing air.

Money speaks directly to the company.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Crysis 2 looks just as good as any PS3 exclusive and looks better than Killzone 3 (I've played both). So obviously multiplat games can reach "PS3 exclusive graphics quality."
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-26-2011 at 04:16.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    It can be, Crysis preforms about the same and Dragon Age II too. It's all upto the devs knowing the right stuff. SONY's Devs only work on the PS3 and know almost every trick in the book to make their games better looking than multiplatform games.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Crysis 2 looks just as good as any PS3 exclusive and looks better than Killzone 3 (I've played both). So obviously multiplat games can reach "PS3 exclusive graphics quality."
    Crysis 2 is an exception, and it performs a bit better, even if unnoticeable, on X360. Most multiplatform games are far away from reaching exclusive games standards of quality.

I'm a real boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Don't... don't do that. It's just a subjective battle and you're only drawing in people who feel differently to comment which really doesn't add anything to this topic.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
    Don't... don't do that. It's just a subjective battle and you're only drawing in people who feel differently to comment which really doesn't add anything to this topic.
    I agree

I'm a real boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I agree
    So 2 months later.

What I was trying to say... he's trolling but indirectly; he may not have realized he's trolling. If he did, then props for clever troll.

Quote Originally Posted by UberMadness View Post
    LoL... right... game aint even HD bro. and i played them both too.

edit.

actually, nvm. Mods can you please erase this post??
    This is not actually worth arguing over. who cares that some members here are in a denial.

Supports my claim as to why I'd say this is an indirect troll.

Forum Sage
    I'll be completely contriversial and say the only 2 games that i think are actually on a higher level quality wise are GOD OF WAR 3 and Uncharted. the rest of the games could honestly be multi plat level of quality including graphics wise. I am expecting to put infamous 2 into the first catagory after it's launch!! can't even explain how amped i am for that game.
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Thread Information