Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    APetePerson

is the only thing that can kill COD time?

Most gamers can feel equally ashamed of themselves for purchasing as many Call of Duty titles as Activision can possibly push out. At times, it can seem like there will never be a gaming day without Call of Duty. Honestly that makes me sad. But I fear COD will become a blanket term for whatever comes "after" it (I'm looking at you Battlefield). Frankly I think we'd all love if we could just get some good unique first person shooters. Unfortunately, it won't happen. This is gamers' fault, but I am optimistic that we aren't doomed to be thrown into an infinite loop of annually purchasing COD. The next "COD killer" is always searched for but for some reason never found, and instead of taking the answer that there is no such thing as a COD killer, I've looked elsewhere for inspiration. There are two factors in killing Call of Duty: time and itself.

Assuming you've been playing Call of Duty for more than the last 2 years, you're well aware of the repetitive money machine that it is. Problem is, we're too gullible and dumb to hold ourselves back from shelling out $60 for the newest version. It would be inappropriate to call it the latest and greatest version because frankly, it isn't. Every year it seems like the new COD is really just an add-on to the previous version... It should be DLC and an extra $20 at the most... Sure there are a good amount of new guns and maps, but the game modes are typically similar or the same, everybody plays team deathmatch anyways, and it isn't original.

What's most baffling is that the main selling point for Call of Duty is it's lack of replay value. Allow me to explain, When you buy COD in November like we all surely will, it will be the only game in your respective console (or PC) for the next 2-3 months. At that point, you may not know it, but your gaming brain craves something other than the trash your playing. It doesn't even have to be a shooter, for me, it was LittleBig Planet 2. Why can putting in a new game completely wipe COD from your memory forever? Because Call of Duty offers no sense of accomplishment. I've gone 49-3 on Nuketown in TDM when the teams were full (don't believe me, check out my fileshare psn: beefstu409). It doesn't even make my top 10 favorite gaming moments and it definitely seems like it should... Frankly it isn't rewarding at all! Call of duty is 5-10 minute games of killing, dying, and throwing care packages. Then you're done. You get up, have one minute to get a beverage, then sit back down and repeat for 5 hours. At the end of the night, you didn't do anything worth talking about to the friends you were playing with.

How do we end this? We can't. But time will save us. Because over the course of the years, (it's different for everybody as far as how long) eventually you will get sick of the same thing over and over again. It is my goal to end buying COD after MW3. I'd much prefer to not buy MW3 at all and substitute it with something like Skyrim, but I doubt I'll be able to. However, if I shell out another sixty bucks to Activision, I feel it will be my last for the same game I've bought numerous times before. So I encourage all of you to set a goal to quit. I have, and I seriously hope that I can achieve it. But it's not time alone that will kill Call of Duty. The final blow for all gamers will be self inflicted.

At some point repetitive gameplay will be frowned upon by each one of us. We will abandon the game. It probably won't happen in the masses, but it will happen all the same. When one person says "no" to buying the new title, it's that much easier for another, and then another. We must hope that a domino effect of this sort happens over the years and Activision is forced to create a new IP with some original ideas, and if they don't do it, perhaps another studio can take the time to make a game that keeps us hooked not because it's good, but because it means something to us. A great game should become a part of us, not a part of our daily lives. A great game is one that you remember and want to play 8-10 years after it came out. A great game isn't copied over and over again. No Call of Duty game has ever been a great game. And for that, it will die.
    original article

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    I have 3 Call of Duty games, COD4, MW2, and Black Ops and I dont plan on ever getting any more.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Probably. There's no other games out right now that are as casual, which is why it rakes in the kind of sales numbers that it does. Until a developer comes out with a casual, easy to pick up and play shooter, Call of Duty is going to be the choice for that particular group of gamers.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    So true but there ain't no game that can Dethrone cod in the multi player experience Imo.
    I used to play RPG'S and never played shooters,but due to Square enix not giving me no good rpgs or a certain classic i want.
    So yeah i mean we have good games, but none of them dwell in my head like FF7, uncharted, GOW3, FFX, Persona 3.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Totally agree with the OP...Its the sole reason I despise COD, all activision does is copy paste

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Totally agree with the OP...Its the sole reason I despise COD, all activision does is copy paste
    But it's a good formula, why change?

Resistance 1 > Resistance 2 ... HORRIBLE transition.

Forum Elder
    Items DiceGoogle ChromeNaughty DogBattlefield 3PlayStationPS3 Slim
    BF3 hands down

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin326 View Post
    But it's a good formula, why change?

Resistance 1 > Resistance 2 ... HORRIBLE transition.
    So true and you couldn't have used a better example of changing too much and completely ruining the game because of it. Resistance 2 remains the biggest disappointment this generation for me.

But back to Call of Duty, the absolutely ONLY gripes I really have about it is the connection quality, and generally unbalanced perks/weapons/etc.. If they would improve the server technology and put a little extra love when it comes to testing their game, they'd be near unbeatable when it comes to sales.

Look at COD4. That game was one of the best shooters EVER.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Time mixed in with a huge helping of internal developer turmoil at Activision and Battlefield.

APetePerson
    in my opinion, they need to try something new, not just the same old 6.5 hour campaign. they need something as as cod4 was when it came out. they need something to compell EVERY gamer out there to got it. dedicated servers, a beta and a new engine could help, and personally, a game with a deep, complex and compelling story will win my love forever

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I have 3 Call of Duty games, COD4, MW2, and Black Ops and I dont plan on ever getting any more.
    This is exactly how I feel.

but I also have World at War

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Fuzzymon
    Yeah I hate to admit it but I got hooked on Cod4 and have bought every one since.Cod4 was just awsome for it's time and WAW came along and I bought all the map packs $90.00 bucks on one game!Mw2 was ok I kinda like blk ops but it's the same thing over and over.I know I will buy MW3 but i'm more excited about battlefield 3 I really enjoyed bad company 2.The Frostbite 2.0 engine will be awsome and it's way more like war online you know what I meen! COD is like a competitive sport killing game online. where as battlefield is like all out warfare and you gotta love the destruction!

El Presidente
    Again I love how everyone used to love CoD and now everyone hates it. Blops was 'meh' but I still play online. Not that I would want this to happen to battlefield but they could easily suffer the same fate as CoD. They release a few good titles and everyone is happy. Then it starts becoming about the money again. People are sick of battlefields constantly coming out and they want something else. Rinse and repeat. Again don't want that to happen but it's not a huge leap of faith to consider that could happen.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Fuzzymon
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Again I love how everyone used to love CoD and now everyone hates it. Blops was 'meh' but I still play online. Not that I would want this to happen to battlefield but they could easily suffer the same fate as CoD. They release a few good titles and everyone is happy. Then it starts becoming about the money again. People are sick of battlefields constantly coming out and they want something else. Rinse and repeat. Again don't want that to happen but it's not a huge leap of faith to consider that could happen.
    Yeah it's bound to happen money is the route of all evil that's true for gaming just as much anywhere else.But it's when games evolve you get to see innovation and battlefield 3 is not a sequel to bad company 2. plus frostbite 2.0 is going to be a awsome engine well at least that's what I predict.They know they have to try and compete with COD and hopefully that motivation will be enough to make a great game!

Elite Sage
    I think i own pretty much every CoD that has ever been released (apart from 3 and i think there was one called Big Red One? It may have been a MoH game thinking about it) and i honestly do think that CoD4:MW was one of the greatest shooters to ever grace the generation. But since then each game has been watered down and loosing the charm that made 4 so special. I was hooked on MW until MW2 was released and i was so disappointed by it, i wasn't even going to get Blops but so many others did so i thought i would get it and i did. For the first month i thought it was really good but then the honeymoon period was over and i saw it for what it was and then i just decided i really disliked it.

CoD will kill itself soon enough. Without the founders of IW being there the series will go stale pretty fast.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Which is the dumb thing, if they would go back and literally copy the COD4 multiplayer, tune the grenades, tune the spawn system, and give us better servers, 99% of the people who play Call of Duty would be happy. The second they started messing with these elaborate custom killstreaks is when the game started to go down hill.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    All i need is dedicated servers and Overpowered kill streaks and i'll be happy.
    It's not like they can't do it they make like what a Billion dollars or something like that.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    i long for that feeling i had when i first played cod4...not happened since..on any fps.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzymon View Post
    Yeah it's bound to happen money is the route of all evil that's true for gaming just as much anywhere else.But it's when games evolve you get to see innovation and battlefield 3 is not a sequel to bad company 2. plus frostbite 2.0 is going to be a awsome engine well at least that's what I predict.They know they have to try and compete with COD and hopefully that motivation will be enough to make a great game!
    You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by IOUaBeatn View Post
    Which is the dumb thing, if they would go back and literally copy the COD4 multiplayer, tune the grenades, tune the spawn system, and give us better servers, 99% of the people who play Call of Duty would be happy. The second they started messing with these elaborate custom killstreaks is when the game started to go down hill.
    In COD4 it all felt right. Blops is too cinematic. The game played itself alot and I felt like I was unnecessary to get through the game. 4 took it to the next gen consoles but it still felt like I was playing COD1 or 2. It had that same feeling and I miss that. I wish they would bring it back.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    To be perfectly honest, I've lost most of my interest in the Call of Duty series altogether. Given that this is being brought up, though, I'll assume that I'm one of few people feeling the same way.

I think the series will die out in the way all games die out: When gamers start taking interest into other, clearly better titles. Many, myself included, would argue that there are already many betters FPS multiplayer titles out there for gamers. That being said, Call of Duty has set the standard for the genre, and therefore has quite the member base. When a FPS title comes along and raises the bar and is advertised in a big way, I think the series will begin to die down.

Call of Duty is a big name, though. It's certain that in the years to come, Call of Duty will be regarded as a good FPS multiplayer experience. Nonetheless, I believe that more shooters are beginning to surpass it, namely titles like Crysis 2 and the upcoming Battlefield 3.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

hi

^_^
    Last edited by TwentyThree; 04-29-2011 at 00:45. Reason: DP

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    find it extremely sad that entering COD into google gives me call of duty instead of the fish as the top result.

Superior Member
    - Bought COD4 mw, most fun on the ps3 in years.
    - Then came COD5 witch i skipped because of treyarch COD3 flop. Was really happy that i dit cus my buddy told me it sucked.
    - Bought COD:MW2 because i loved 4. Good game but not as good as the first
    - Bought treyarch COD black ops and was dissapointed.

Now i'm on the crossroad were i need to choose. Buy the next COD game and risk the chance that it sucks again because infinity ward is not wat it used to be. Or buy something else. Wat i do already know is that i will never ever buy another Treyarch game again. Worst developer ever IMO
    _-~[ Death has a thousand faces, Evil has only one ]~-_

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    i think its kinda funny you want to substitute a game where you do the same thing over and over again with an RPG. lol Don't get me wrong, RPGs are my top genre i love em, but grinding is not the best part of the game. Just interesting to me.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    find it extremely sad that entering COD into google gives me call of duty instead of the fish as the top result.
    It's funny actually.

Thread Information