Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Soldier 95B
    I approve of the PSN Crisis tag/sensationalism.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't really care, but I did get to troll the owner hehe... [img]dontbanme.gif[.img]

Administrator
    Now i'm confused.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    LOL. It's ok Mr. B, just havin' a little fun with ya.

Administrator
    I've actually often been told that I take things far too face value when I post in forums. lol... I think I care too much sometimes.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bishop View Post
    I've actually often been told that I take things far too face value when I post in forums. lol... I think I care too much sometimes.
    That's because forums are serious business. I'm right there with ya.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    It is a freaking crisis, someone dumped a copy of Sony's entire user database they potentially got +70m credit cards I doubt something like this will ever happen again in our lifetimes.
    People assume that every single PSN account user used credit cards. Im not sure if all the doom and gloomers are aware of this, but there is a thing called PSN cards which come in various amounts, and enable you to easily and safely buy from the PSN store. Not everyone has a credit card haha.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    People assume that every single PSN account user used credit cards. Im not sure if all the doom and gloomers are aware of this, but there is a thing called PSN cards which come in various amounts, and enable you to easily and safely buy from the PSN store. Not everyone has a credit card haha.
    No but with the amount of other personal information, people can use that for other nefarious means. Private information stolen doesn't have to be registered credit cards. You have an address, name, date of birth, etc... all stuff that is conveniently packaged for these guys to use however they see fit.
    LMAO

Ultimate Veteran
    Well, the majority does so there's 77 million PSN accounts registered? I bet 96% of them has a registered credit card.
    Other opinions are available.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    That's because of Sony's poor PR. Everyone who's read it could make 1 of 2 choices....a positive, non-violent and properly vented attitude towards the ones responsible (note: sony didn't hack sony, hackers did), or 2)the blame-game, where no matter who's responsible for the breach or what led to it, all blame lies solely with Sony. That'll teach them - type attitude, OMG I can't live no longer without my CC, etc...

Assumptions have given everyone reason to post the worst-case scenario in these topics. There's not any in-between or waiting until you have something fraudulent - IF EVER, the approach is a preemptive attack on the company itself. I had trouble logging into my ymail account just now, lasted about 20 minutes or so...do I blame Sony? No. It's the internet, and people exaggerate.

Hence the reason we see this thread titled "Crisis" when things of this nature happen every 2 or 3 months with various other major companies or online retailers.

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    No but with the amount of other personal information, people can use that for other nefarious means. Private information stolen doesn't have to be registered credit cards. You have an address, name, date of birth, etc... all stuff that is conveniently packaged for these guys to use however they see fit.
    Do you think the hackers goal was to attain a large ammount of personal information on people or to cause a PR nightmare for Sony and take PSN down for awhile? If the goal was to attain personal info there are many MANY other places that would of been better target. Also, unless the hacker was part of some huge multinational organsiation I dont think he/she would have time in this life timeto go over 70 million files of peoples info. If anything i imagine it would be sold to some company and you would be sent spam mail, but other than that I really dont think this is going to pose a real problem for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Well, the majority does so there's 77 million PSN accounts registered? I bet 96% of them has a registered credit card.
    Thats speculation and a void point unless you can provide statistics. You think all the young teens and kids who play PS3 have credit cards? Im not sure of the demographic percentages of users but I dare say that a fair chunk are held by kids still in school.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    That's because of Sony's poor PR. Everyone who's read it could make 1 of 2 choices....a positive, non-violent and properly vented attitude towards the ones responsible (note: sony didn't hack sony, hackers did), or 2)the blame-game, where no matter who's responsible for the breach or what led to it, all blame lies solely with Sony. That'll teach them - type attitude, OMG I can't live no longer without my CC, etc...
    It's not black and white, both Sony and the hackers are in the wrong here but ultimately it's up to Sony to secure THEIR service.

Assumptions have given everyone reason to post the worst-case scenario in these topics. There's not any in-between or waiting until you have something fraudulent - IF EVER, the approach is a preemptive attack on the company itself. I had trouble logging into my ymail account just now, lasted about 20 minutes or so...do I blame Sony? No. It's the internet, and people exaggerate.
    Why wait until something happens, better take appropriate actions now to secure your other accounts and cards. Even Sony admitted as much.

Hence the reason we see this thread titled "Crisis" when things of this nature happen every 2 or 3 months with various other major companies or online retailers.
    User information and credit cards from +70 million users does not get stolen every 2 or 3 months, in fact, I'm pretty damn sure this is the first time it has ever happened. And if the intruders do find away to access a vast number of those credit cards this could be an economic crisis even for a vast number of banks and individuals.

Do you think the hackers goal was to attain a large ammount of personal information on people or to cause a PR nightmare for Sony and take PSN down for awhile? If the goal was to attain personal info there are many MANY other places that would of been better target. Also, unless the hacker was part of some huge multinational organsiation I dont think he/she would have time in this life timeto go over 70 million files of peoples info. If anything i imagine it would be sold to some company and you would be sent spam mail, but other than that I really dont think this is going to pose a real problem for anyone.
    At this point, I'm willing to bet this was either an inside job or someone misplaced a notebook or a phone that had sysadmin account information on them. The more I read about the attack the more it seems these guys had the master keys and did not break in, thus why it took Sony so long to figure out something was going on.

How is it not a real problem that someone has enough information to steal your identity? If they sell the information this is an even bigger crisis.

Thats speculation and a void point unless you can provide statistics. You think all the young teens and kids who play PS3 have credit cards? Im not sure of the demographic percentages of users but I dare say that a fair chunk are held by kids still in school.
    The actual number is of academic interest only, no matter how you spin it this is the biggest credit card fraud in history. This is a crisis do not let anyone fool you on that.
    Last edited by Tutankhamun; 04-28-2011 at 19:16.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I guess going by your rationale, we should all be happy that we MIGHT not be one of the unlucky ones who happen to get their account tampered with. 70+million accounts, some of which are created online with no PS3, some with no credit info, etc... yes, it would be hard for them to utilize each bit of data, but that is the scary part for a lot of people.

You have to watch your credit now to see if someone is going to happen upon your information and use it.

I can't see how you can possibly say they "have our back" when they have done nothing but try to downplay the severity of the breach.
    LMAO

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I guess going by your rationale, we should all be happy that we MIGHT not be one of the unlucky ones who happen to get their account tampered with. 70+million accounts, some of which are created online with no PS3, some with no credit info, etc... yes, it would be hard for them to utilize each bit of data, but that is the scary part for a lot of people.

You have to watch your credit now to see if someone is going to happen upon your information and use it.

I can't see how you can possibly say they "have our back" when they have done nothing but try to downplay the severity of the breach.
    As far as I recall, I never said Sony had our backs, I said I had Sonys. I have said that I feel Sony has looked after gamers for the last 16 years by delivering quality services. Or has there been dozens of other times where Sony has lost our info? No nothing on this scale has ever happened as far I remember. What I mean is that I wont go grab my torch and pitchfork and go after Sony with the rest of the mob because they didnt announce info in a manner that people think they should of. People here are acting like Sony sold our info, instead of realising that Sony is a VICTIM of a malicious attack. It does suck, and I have stated often that Sony didnt handle this the best,and they have amends to make, but I wont share in the same negativity as this forum. Your CC details are under just as much danger anywhere else you choose to use it, and if Amazon or ebay or Paypal ever came under the media spotlight because the masses somehow deemed they had screwed them over (geohot saga, OoS removal) then it is not beyond the scope of posibility that your details could be ripped from their servers too.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-28-2011 at 20:14.

Elite Guru
    Sony haven't looked after us. They've looked after themselves by designing and delivering products and services we want to buy. It's that simple.

When the sh*t hits the fan, the consumer nearly always comes dead last.

Doctor-Who24
    How many of you do business with Wal-Mart? How many of you do business with Amazon? How many of you do business with Target? How many of you do business with Tj Maxx? How many do business with Best Buy? Your information has long been compromised.

Veteran
    Without PSU, there are no forums, so yeah of course they want the site to be profitable.
    ....wut?

PS3forums was just fine long before the merger with PSU.

If you ask me, it was PSU that needed the population increase.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor-Who24 View Post
    How many of you do business with Wal-Mart? How many of you do business with Amazon? How many of you do business with Target? How many of you do business with Tj Maxx? How many do business with Best Buy? Your information has long been compromised.
    I still do business with them, and I still do business with Sony, what's your point?

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor-Who24 View Post
    How many of you do business with Wal-Mart? How many of you do business with Amazon? How many of you do business with Target? How many of you do business with Tj Maxx? How many do business with Best Buy?
    Oooohhh....I got this. Me Me!! (well, not TJ Maxx)

What do I win!?!?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Sony haven't looked after us. They've looked after themselves by designing and delivering products and services we want to buy. It's that simple.

When the sh*t hits the fan, the consumer nearly always comes dead last.
    As I said in another thread, as with most relationships in life, its mutually beneficial. Of course its not one sided and of course Sony havent acted out of the goodness of their heart without the desire to make money. They get my money, I get awesome games. In the world of consumerism, I define being looked after by being given consistent quality service, which I have recieved for over 15 years.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bishop View Post
    Yeah I mean honestly this is really whats going down here. This is totally insane what happened, and its the hottest news around for PlayStation fans right now. I honestly think it would be irresponsible of us to not be covering this. Like it or hate it, this is real news happening in the world of PlayStation.

In terms of the titles... well yeah you tailor your stuff for SEO. Thats what running websites is all about!

Many of you who hang out in the forums admit you don't browse by the homepage to check new news. So we need to title the news so as that people doing searches in Google/Bing find our articles.

I like to think of website journalism like Jeopardy. You are making your title the answer to the question someone types into google.

Its not traditional journalism where the title will catch your eye on a newspaper rack. If you guys always buzzed through the homepage on your way to the forums there would be a lot more merit to the creative titling... but the numbers simply don't show it.

Honestly though, we're just trying to have a mixture of both. SEO can do wonders for a site, and we're really trying to boost the business of PSU. We aren't becoming **** journalists, we're simply covering what is on the mind of everyone out there.

If they actually stay, then we need to shape them into good users of PSU. This is a great place to hang out and talk about the system we all love, so introducing that to a new crowd can't be a bad thing.
    Part of my summer internship will be SEO. I'm taking notes Mr. B!

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I still do business with them, and I still do business with Sony, what's your point?
    i think his point is that these companies all lost our details in some shape or form, and that many of them are already "out there" as it were. still doesnt negate from the fact that **** has hit the fan, and this is a bad situation.

Ultimate Veteran
    As I said in another thread, as with most relationships in life, its mutually beneficial. Of course its not one sided and of course Sony havent acted out of the goodness of their heart without the desire to make money. They get my money, I get awesome games. In the world of consumerism, I define being looked after by being given consistent quality service, which I have recieved for over 15 years.
    And in that exchange of money for a service or product I never agree to let them leak my user information nor do I agree that they can withold that such information has been leaked.

Doctor-Who24
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Oooohhh....I got this. Me Me!! (well, not TJ Maxx)

What do I win!?!?
    You win nothing. You've already lost your info.

Thread Information