Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Need for Speed: The Run

I am a big fan of Hot Pursuit and Shift 2 (before those 2, I didn't like anything past the original NFS3 game) - I hope EA is not going to start flooding the NFS franchise though. Releasing this would mean 2 NFS games in one year... still, I will remain hopeful since the last 2 were great.

EA has announced the next entry in its long-running driving series Need for Speed.
    Need for Speed: The Run launches on 3DS, PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360 in Europe on 17th November, and in North America on 15th November.

The focus reverts to the world of underground racing, set against the backdrop of a high-speed race across the US from San Francisco to New York.

Development duties are being taken care of by Black Box, which helmed the franchise from 2002 to 2008, creating seven consecutive yearly updates including NFS Underground and NFS Most Wanted. "EA Black Box will spend more than two years of development time on The Run to make sure this is the most action packed and finest cinematic racing experience in NFS history," EA said.

Need for Speed: The Run takes advantage of DICE's new Frostbite 2.0 engine, used in forthcoming first-person shooter Battlefield 3.

Criterion's social competition service Autolog, a series staple since 2010's superb Hot Pursuit, returns.

EA's first teaser for the game is below, and shows some of the environments on offer. There's a pleasing mix of locations, despite the switch to real-world surroundings after Hot Pursuit's fictional Seacrest County. Dense urban traffic, arid desert plains and icy mountain passes feature, with races apparently split into smaller legs spanning the width of North America.

The game's "Hollywood movie style" story is hinted at. An attractive young woman swerves in a city environment, seemingly pursued by police. There's even a glimpse of cops chasing an escaping figure on foot.

Intercut are shots of a driver waking in an upturned vehicle, suspended in his seat as a train ploughs towards him. Mysterious.

EA promises "immersive storytelling" and "cutting edge performances" depicting "a world with no speed limits, rules or allies".
    Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-speed-the-run
    Last edited by metalbeast; 04-29-2011 at 17:32.

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    Nice trailer...I think I may be looking forward to this more than the next call of duty
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Apprentice
    YES! Hopefully back to Underground and Most Wanted days, I know most will disagree but I want subtle car modding and cool *** city and im good.

Apprentice

Frostbite2, sweet id like to see more of this engine in action. Who is developing this game? Im sure hoping its criterion games because then I know it will be great, but at the same time im hoping that criterion has been working on a new burnout instead. Anybody got a.clue on developer?

CircleCityBomber
    That looks intense. I hope its as good if not better than the Underground

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Once again, no free roam no buy.

Games like these have almost 0 replay value when there is no free roam.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Split screen with AI cars or no buy.
    Though it is a bit suspicious how fast they intend to put it together.

But I am still looking forward to seeing how well Frostbite engine works in a racing game.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What impressed me the most was the date was written the correct way.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items Diablo IIIOne PieceGhost in the ShellLuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I don't buy many NFS games, but the 3DS version interests me. I hope it turns out good

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    If they get the cast of Fast Five to do the voices, or mocap or both, then this will be on my pre-order list.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Looks generic and lame.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by legaldisaster View Post
    Frostbite2, sweet id like to see more of this engine in action. Who is developing this game? Im sure hoping its criterion games because then I know it will be great, but at the same time im hoping that criterion has been working on a new burnout instead. Anybody got a.clue on developer?
    Read the article.

TWISTED METAL
    they should chill a little
    in the last 6 months they released 2 nfs games
    and now this

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes."

Master Guru
    Sounds good. I loved Shift, Shift 2 and Hot Pursuit.

Yip-Man
    I would be passing on this thought hot pursuit was a real let down, they took one element of burnout 3,and sold it as a whole game. Was not really impressed with the game st all.

So the next installment better not be just another small part of a burnout game turned into a full game.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I really enjyed HP2 so hopefully this will be cracking

Quote Originally Posted by legaldisaster View Post
    Development duties are being taken care of by Black Box
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_T92 View Post
    they should chill a little
    in the last 6 months they released 2 nfs games
    and now this
    I know what you mean about how they are flooding the market.
    I think they've all been pretty different though and with different studios working on the titles, they've all had their own spin on it.
    Blackbox are the devs behind this one and have been working on it for over a year already so will be interesting to see how it pans out and see some more footage.

"EA Black Box will spend more than two years of development time on The Run to make sure this is the most action packed and finest cinematic racing experience in NFS history," EA said.
    I find it crazy that 3 NFS games were being worked on at the same time.
    Prior to Hot pursuits 2 release, Shift 2 and The Run were also in Development.
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 04-30-2011 at 10:31.

Superior Member
    I don't think it's a problem to use 3 studios to build 3 racing games - but branding them all under the same franchise... I hope they don't run the NFS franchise into the ground again.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    So what happened to NFS: The Island? Guess that idea got canned.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Overseer

Don't think we have had enough NFS games yet.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by metalbeast View Post
    I don't think it's a problem to use 3 studios to build 3 racing games - but branding them all under the same franchise... I hope they don't run the NFS franchise into the ground again.
    I'd prefer a game every 2 years-ish Motorstorm Style. Calling them all Need For Speed is flooding the market. Still havn't picked up Hot Pursuit and now I don't know if I ever will.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    About time they go back to the Underground. NFS: Underground was one of the best in the series and the game that got me into racing games like that. I need my body kits, rims and decals. I just hope the game isn't stupid and over the top.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Still havn't picked up Hot Pursuit and now I don't know if I ever will.
    I highly recommend you do. IMO its the best and more back to its roots than what NFS has been in a long time.
    Undercover, Pro street, Shift 1 and 2 are not a patch on Hot pursuit 2.

Catch it and W*nk
    Just ordered Most Wanted to hype myself up to this, never played it but everybody seems to say good things about it.
    PS360 owner
    Please feel free to visit my blog: http://gamersgaloreram.blogspot.com/ . It will contain numerous reviews to do with games, hardware and other fitting things. Thanks.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Hot pursuit got boring real quick. I hate NFS:Shi*T, and I think the next one will suck.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I'd prefer a game every 2 years-ish Motorstorm Style. Calling them all Need For Speed is flooding the market. Still havn't picked up Hot Pursuit and now I don't know if I ever will.
    EA needs to make up its mind whether NFS is a arcade or sim racing franchise - right now we've had 2 excellent games from both sides (Hot Pursuit & Shift 2). Throwing in another 'direction' like The Run... I just don't think it's a good idea at all.

I always hated the Underground/Undercover/Pro series - to me it just seemed be another .1 release on the previous games. Shift 1 was a good start to relaunching the franchise, and by getting Criterion to make Hot Pursuit they really brought the NFS brand back. Now with Shift 2 (which I think is excellent) they've done it again.

I will remain hopeful, but I would rather they keep the NFS brand for the sim racing, and come up with something new for the arcade side. I mean, "Burnout: Hot Pursuit" - that would have had a nice ring to it, they're very similar in game style anyway.

Also, I would recommend getting Hot Pursuit if you like arcade racers, it's an excellent title.

Thread Information