Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: What now?

Apprentice

What now?

I just had a conversation with one of my good friends earlier and were talking about Sony's future after this disaster.

Most educated people on the matter are saying that Sony will be paying/losing approximately 24 billion in terms of this, with possible credit monitoring and the class-action suit against them.

However, with an amount that high - will Sony be able to recover from this? I'm not buisness major but I'd think that this could possibly cripple the company, and give them second thoughts on the PSN.
    Go New Orleans Saints!
    Mark Ingram, Welcome to the Black & Gold!

SnowHawk
    where did you get 24 billion from?

lol at 24 billion.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowHawk View Post
    where did you get 24 billion from?

lol at 24 billion.
    apparently a projection..lol yahoo reported this too a couple days ago..the only way I see this ever happening is if Sony loses the lawsuit...or if the hackers drain every single penny out of PSN, and SONY itself..just my theory

SnowHawk
    that's a complete joke, it has to be.

Apprentice
    But you also have to take into account downtime, loss of sales, compensation etc. no ones going to sue them for 24b, but it might cost them that in the long run overall.

Apprentice
    I don't see it happening,
    why whould they loose if your Credit/Debit cards were never stollen?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Chulo View Post
    I don't see it happening,
    why whould they loose if your Credit/Debit cards were never stollen?
    We don't know if the cards were stolen or not. They just said they don't believe the data was stolen. Most so praying as it would be a nightmare for them if that in fact did happen. While I believe 24 billion is much, they aren't going to walk away from this debacle without losing a good chuck out of their pockets rest assured.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    24B is quite high estimation. I doubt they will loose that much.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Dedicated Member
    If banks can be bailed out, so can Sony. No wait, the Japanquakes may have put a strain on that economy so who knows. If the CC#s are safe then they could probably regain some trust and make that amount the first week psn is back up. People like to buy stuff after all.

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    24B is quite high estimation. I doubt they will loose that much.
    I"m not sure,but I think if you add the drop in the price of Sony shares,you could get a pretty big chunk of change.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Dedicated Member

There is no way Sony would be facing anywhere near $24bn in losses. The whole Playstation brand starting in 1995 to present hasn't made that much profit, and there is no way their customers have anywhere even remotely close to that in actual losses. IF, and it's a huge if, but IF a lawsuit was successful, I doubt Sony would be facing even $100 million in losses.

They would be liable for any provable actuall losses by customers who used PSN and had credit card data stolen and used, but they wouldn't owe a penny to anyone who didn't suffer any actual financial loss, and even the real losses would be an issue settled between Sony and the credit card companies, not Sony and the credit card holder.

Sony faces more losses from lawsuits still working their way though the courts over their old rootkit fiasco than they face from the PSN hacking. The rootkit could still cost them billions, PSN hacking will probably only be in the millions.

Dedicated Member
    highly unlikely scenario that it could even remotely cost sony anywhere near that amount.

Elite Guru
    Taking aside projections on cost, there is bound to be some impact on the amount of business they convert. As read elsewhere, Sony was in the process of building a service that links together a lot of the products they sell. If people now don't trust Sony, that's bound to affect the bottom line.

From here on out, it all depends on how well Sony handle things. They've got to be completely transparent on where they went wrong and what they're doing to fix it if customers are to build (and in some cases, rebuild) trust in them.

KarbineFTW
    Items PlayStation
    And why does this ****ty thread deserve 5 Star when its going over **** in other threads... its not needed at all.
    Steam - [UK]Tom1525
    Nobody Ever Reps Back

Dedicated Member

Consumer confidence would be the biggest thing that sony will need to work hard to gain.

Hand on heart who would use the PSN to purchase items with credit/debit card when it goes back live.

So while this 24 billion figure seems excessive its going to take awful long time to regain consumer confidence in PSN to go back buying online again.

At the moment I would be very wary to buy through any card at present would more than likely purchase those PSN giftcards and use them in future.

I dont blame sony unless theyre protection was flawed but present it hackers I hate. If its later proofed Sony was stupid by having weak security then would change my hatred.

Still despite I dont blame sony at present I have no confidence to purchase with my cards and I doubt I would be the only one with these trepedations.

Sony going to have to work hard to build bridges for sure. I am wondering if this was hap hazard hackers or more sinister industrial espionage.

Sony will be just fine whatever happens.

And a big whopping LOL and WTF to your 24 billion. You cannot trust all the popcorn-eating-know-it-all-fanboy-teenagers with too much time on their hand
    Last edited by cloudfire; 04-30-2011 at 17:45.

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    i dont think sony will lose out much

if i wanted to buy a game before psn went offline...i'd still wanna buy it now, so id buy it when psn comes back online.

the minute psn comes back online lots of people will be buying new content...they will make a killing that day...esp since a few weeks worth of content should go up at once.

sure a few people will leave psn as a result but many inc me won't.
    i also dont think any compensation will be given for subs etc except maybe an extension to subscription to make up for missing days as all content will still be available to those who pay for it
    so i fail to see how losses will come to that amount...maybe at a push it would be millions not billions

i hope those responsible are caught and punished to the law and not settled out of court

Forum Sage

Regardless of how much or little they lose, this should teach them a lesson about the security of PSN. This should also teach them a lesson regarding how they treat their customers. They brought this debacle on themselves.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    In a few days time the service is switched back on, security measures are changed and tightened and the world keeps on turning.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Regardless of how much or little they lose, this should teach them a lesson about the security of PSN. This should also teach them a lesson regarding how they treat their customers. They brought this debacle on themselves.
    This is sad. Real sad. So you think it is ok for hackers to forcefully take down a world wide service, steal personal data, either use it yourself to scam people or sell it to other criminals, just to tell Sony that you didn`t like that they removed OtherOS?
    There is really no hope for this world. I hate how this future generation forget everything about morals and ethics just because they want something for free or some software. You make me sick

It is so sick. People glorifying cyber terrorists like Anonymous and drawing a picture like Sony is the allmighty criminal here. They made a kick *** console with a huge, great game selection for us. They offer FREE online gaming. Go back to the Playstation 2 era and people were not whining to Sony about their console could not run CFW. My god i hope there will be some task force of Anti hackers that pursue these scumbags and let them face consequences

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by cloudfire View Post
    This is sad. Real sad. So you think it is ok for hackers to forcefully take down a world wide service, steal personal data, either use it yourself to scam people or sell it to other criminals, just to tell Sony that you didn`t like that they removed OtherOS?
    There is really no hope for this world. I hate how this future generation forget everything about morals and ethics just because they want something for free or some software. You make me sick
    You do know slandering and libel are illegal, don't you? Where did I say it was okay for crackers (hackers that hack for malicious intent) to crack PSN and steal because of the removal of OtherOS? Who are you to tell me I'm probably one of the ones to use that kind of information myself for my personal gain? I highly suggest you look at my post in a different context.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1525 View Post
    And why does this ****ty thread deserve 5 Star when its going over **** in other threads... its not needed at all.
    Its happening to every negative Sony thread, some people are just trolling the PS3 because they have no lives whatsoever.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Regardless of how much or little they lose, this should teach them a lesson about the security of PSN. This should also teach them a lesson regarding how they treat their hackers. They brought this debacle on themselves.
    Fixed that for you.

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

You do know slandering and libel are illegal, don't you? Where did I say it was okay for crackers (hackers that hack for malicious intent) to crack PSN and steal because of the removal of OtherOS? Who are you to tell me I'm probably one of the ones to use that kind of information myself for my personal gain? I highly suggest you look at my post in a different context.
    You didn`t say it exactly but you said
    "This should also teach them a lesson regarding how they treat their customers. They brought this debacle on themselves."

This is the same bull**** propaganda we keep hearing from the scene and the fans of Anonymous. If anything, Sony should be applauded for pursuing Geohot, failoverfl0w and hackers that busted the system wide open. They didn`t treat their customer wrong at all. They sued them because they wanted to set an example to other hackers that were working on PS3, because Sony want a clean and CFW free PSN without pirates and such. The exact same want we legit gamers. We don`t want to be surrounded by cheaters and people who didn`t pay for the game.
    How is that treating customers wrong? Hackers and Anonymous are the ones who treat us legit gamers wrong. They took down PSN. They took OtherOS away. They stole our peronal information.

Thread Information