Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Sony to host press confrence about PSN hack

Just seen this pop up, I haven't seen this being reported on any other gaming website, but interesting if true...:

Sony Corp’s Executive Deputy President Kazuo Hirai is to host a news conference on Sunday regarding the security breach of the companies PlayStation Network, the Japanese electronics giant said.

Hirai will speak at 2:00 p.m. Japan time (09:00 a.m. ET) about the breach, as well as the firm’s information management system and the schedule to resume services, Sony said in a news release today.

The Japanese electronic giant warned earlier in the week that hackers had stolen names, addresses, and possibly credit card details from the 77 million user accounts from the PlayStation Network, its been down ever since.

We expect to hear what Sony intend to do to appease fans during this press conference.
    Source

Looks like we *may* be getting some answers tomorrow....I hope so!

Edit:

Reuters is also reporting this: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...73R0Q320110430 Looks legit!

Update:

Here's the press release:

SOME PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND QRIOCITY SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK

Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    • This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
    • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    • Access to account management and password reset
    • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    • PlayStation®Home
    • Friends List
    • Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
    • Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
    • Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
    • Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
    • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
    • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/
    Source
    Last edited by Chuggy; 05-01-2011 at 09:48. Reason: New Info

ex Burnout Paradise world No.2 and Computer Science Undergraduate
    "Confidence Creates Skill"

KarbineFTW
    Items PlayStation
    Thanks for the heads up
    Steam - [UK]Tom1525
    Nobody Ever Reps Back

Superior Member

2pm in Japan is 6 am here in the UK which in turn is 1 am in New York. I've no idea what the website means by 9am ET but if that is supposed to be the time on the east coast of USA it couldn't be more wrong unless of course the press conference is actually at 10pm in Japan and not 2pm
    I'm all for the preservation on endagered animals, you should taste my panda jam

PSN id: SmilerFTM

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I understand why, they need to reassure consumers that the service is now secured better and that shopping via PSN with a credit card isn't more dangerous now than somewhere else. I'm going to predict a lot of it will be about how much time and money they have invested into making PSN the most secure retailer on the Internet and how they are 100% confident nothing of this scale can happen again to PSN. Whatever they can reassure consumer this or not is a bigger question but they need to try at least
    Other opinions are available.

Master Guru
    We will get answers. Expect what time it will be back up, what will be in the new PlayStation software update (I expect maybe a PSN E3 announcement to be brought forward) and if there will be any form of compensation.

Dedicated Member
    I'm confused... when is it supposed to be again?

Sorry *** time zone translations ftl.

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    I'm confused... when is it supposed to be again?

Sorry *** time zone translations ftl.
    5am GMT.

Elite Sage
    "Sorry we ****ed up. Won't happen again, we promise! You know, **** happens."

Bam, saved y'all a bunch of time.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    They will give you the info that they want you to believe, regardless of whether it's true or not. PR at its finest. They'll have to go a long way before I can trust anything they say.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    They will give you the info that they want you to believe, regardless of whether it's true or not. PR at its finest. They'll have to go a long way before I can trust anything they say.
    I agree. Although, I will be incredibly impressed if they have a Q&A session. First thought is this will be just an information dump (no, not like the actual hacking! ) but hope I'm wrong.

Fuzzy_Dunlop
    This is huge, Hirai and Sony have (rightly) been lambasted in the worlds media for their handling of this situation - The markets have lost confidence in Sony, as have the consumers

If he ****s this up I fear for Sony

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    This would be the only way they can win their consumer trust again. He better make it good.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Whoa yeah E3 coming early confirmed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Whoa yeah E3 coming early confirmed!
    Why do you say this?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by boogey View Post
    Why do you say this?
    Because I'm joking. /facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Because I'm joking. /facepalm
    Okay. Thought you were.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    show off R3 gameplay plz lol

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    blah blah blah!

Supreme Veteran
    Free Super Rub a Dub for all!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibie View Post
    Sold!

It will be very interesting as to how they plan to move on from this. forgive and forget? im looking forward to it!

As far as the faith, i still have faith in Sony. I mean **** happens, get over it, mistakes are made every day by everyone. this just happened to be a biggie. But hey! this will only make the network stonger (maybe)!

Hopefuilly this will be a forgotten memory come end of the year.

Superior Member
    i hope to see a humble kazuo hirai and not his arrogant self. his eyes should be looking downwards while answering questions.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibie View Post
    Throw in a trophy patch and I'm sold.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    Throw in a trophy patch and I'm sold.
    You'll have to pay for that.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    10:32 AM in Tokyo right now, 3 hours and 28 minutes left?!?

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Anyone know if theres a live stream of this?

Thread Information