Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    cbman

sony to answer congress before return of psn in usa

it looks like it may be a few more days at least here in the usa before psn returns

http://www.maxconsole.net

Superior Member
    OMG I just want to play online, I know this whole situation is screwed up, but all these lawsuits and mandatory demands and such are not helping this consumer out. SMH obstacle after obstacle can someone give sony a break so they can focus on psn back online only? lol... :'(
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Superior Member
    PSN will never back up online. I'm on the verge of switching...

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Didn't Sony pretty much "answered" what they need to know?. This is a huge waste of time..

Apprentice

I don't think Sony should be getting any breaks. This is a problem with consumerism in general. Anytime the company screws up we act like its no big deal, but when you get people like geohot hacking then its a huge deal. The fact is that this is good the govt. is stepping in and asking questions. We deserve answers for what happened.

Of course we all want PSN back up, but we deserve more than that. That is not to say we deserve any monetary compensation, but we do deserve some thanks and better updates. I mean sure Sony is losing out right now, but this is their own doing. If I leave me front door unlocked then its my fault when someone walks right in.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    People didn't ***** this much about online on the PS2 did they?
    *sigh*
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    People didn't ***** this much about online on the PS2 did they?
    *sigh*
    Ignorance is bliss? Online gaming is definitely a lot bigger these days.

Apprentice

Thor you're right, but the times have changed. Just as people didn't ***** about bad graphics on the SNES, but that doesn't mean you have no right to complain. When the product you are buying is being sold as a product that can go online then people have the right to be fed up when it doesn't work. We shouldn't have to sit by and wait for things to work, we are paying for these things to work.

A few days offline fine, but 2 weeks is a little absurd.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Im glad i live in Europe.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by triggap View Post
    Ignorance is bliss? Online gaming is definitely a lot bigger these days.
    Yeah, that's probably right. I don't remember having my PS2 online ever.

Quote Originally Posted by legendkiller222 View Post
    Thor you're right, but the times have changed. Just as people didn't ***** about bad graphics on the SNES, but that doesn't mean you have no right to complain. When the product you are buying is being sold as a product that can go online then people have the right to be fed up when it doesn't work. We shouldn't have to sit by and wait for things to work, we are paying for these things to work.

A few days offline fine, but 2 weeks is a little absurd.
    Can't argue with that man, you make some good points right there. I also agree that 2 weeks is pushing it. So long as it's for the best...
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Torch73
    This is not Right Sony needs to man up and just face the heat and tun the lights back on! 2 weeks is just way to long from a 2 day deal they said at jump.
    Torch73

Veteran
    Just read the letter and unless I missed something, no where on it does it say that they have to answer the question before PSN goes back up. It's a "request" that they provide answers before the 6th since they scheduled a hearing on Federal data security legislation for the 4th.

The subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade has a longstanding interest in consumer privacy, identity theft, and industry efforts to address threats posed by unauthorized access to consumers' personal information resulting from a data breach. Events such as this one directly inform our efforts in the data security arena. We expect to address Federal data security legislation in our Committee this year, and we have scheduled a hearing on May 4, 2011, regarding the threat of data theft to American consumers to explore these issues in greater detail. To inform our efforts to protect consumer information, we request answers to the following question and requests no later than May 6, 2011.

Letter was dated April 29th, just a few days before the press conference so they probably already got most of the answers to send back. Just from reading the thing, doesn't like they're in any big trouble just yet otherwise I imagine the language of the letter would be a little... stronger. And it doesn't sound like the hearing is just about the Great PSN Crisis of 2011 but about events like these as a whole.

original article about this from Gamespot
    Link to the letter posted on the NY Times

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nqwazi
    Quote Originally Posted by legendkiller222 View Post
    I don't think Sony should be getting any breaks. This is a problem with consumerism in general. Anytime the company screws up we act like its no big deal, but when you get people like geohot hacking then its a huge deal. The fact is that this is good the govt. is stepping in and asking questions. We deserve answers for what happened.

Of course we all want PSN back up, but we deserve more than that. That is not to say we deserve any monetary compensation, but we do deserve some thanks and better updates. I mean sure Sony is losing out right now, but this is their own doing. If I leave me front door unlocked then its my fault when someone walks right in.

and if someone kicks your door in despite the fact you have locked it does that make it your fault ?

Maybe they should have had a better lock, but i hope insurance companies don't take the same attitude as you.

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    This is getting super annoying...
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Forum Sage
    I want to know what went wrong but man I wanna register my portal 2 then I'm done. Wpnt be on PSN much after that.
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Dedicated Member
    In mother Russia, Government answers to Sony!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Misleading thread title. Nothing, anywhere, states that PSN has to answer to anyone before restoring service. For gubment to dip in it just means that it's going to be a clusterf.....frick. We should all hope to have PSN restored before there's some judiciary hearings or senate subcommittee hearings on it...doing such a "great justice for Americans" will cause us more downtime and loss than them just staying out of it.

cbman
    misleading thread title it clearly says..."Sony faces a deadline set by congress ahead of reactivating the Playstation Network in the US." in the very beginning of the article..

cbman
    ahead of reactivating would mean before psn comes back on...

cbman
    but just like the other bull**** i keep reading this seems more believable to me but i hope its not the case..

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by REEEPR View Post
    In mother Russia, Government answers to Sony!
    LOL!
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by cbman View Post
    misleading thread title it clearly says..."Sony faces a deadline set by congress ahead of reactivating the Playstation Network in the US." in the very beginning of the article..
    I would seriously doubt that since Sony has already responded with the testimony, they'll require PSN to wait until the deadline before reactivating it. Take what you want from the title, the committee already has the answers that Sony sent in response to their hearing. Now it's just a matter of the committee calling the meeting to order and submitting their response...they don't have to wait on the hearing before it can be restored. Sony's not the only people to be questioned either, there's 2 other corps who've had massive breaches of personal info, and the Fed is trying to mandate some type of jurisdiction in data breaches. And it only names the US, not the entire PSN. They can bring everything up and have the US PSN waiting to go online once the meeting of the committee is adjourned and the records are final.

ahead of reactivating would mean before psn comes back on...
    but just like the other bull**** i keep reading this seems more believable to me but i hope its not the case..

You got an edit button? It might work better than responding 3 times in a row to yourself.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    it looks like it may be a few more days at least here in the usa before psn returns

http://www.maxconsole.net
    I read an article about the Japanese government requiring the same thing before allowing Sony to relaunch PSN.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...2F&sl=nl&tl=en

Express
    Sony's answer:

Today, the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce held a hearing in Washington, DC on “The Threat of Data Theft to American Consumers.”

Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sony Computer Entertainment America, submitted written answers to questions posed by the subcommittee about the large-scale, criminal cyber-attack we have experienced. We wanted to share those answers with you (click here).
    In summary, we told the subcommittee that in dealing with this cyber attack we followed four key principles:

Act with care and caution.

Provide relevant information to the public when it has been verified.

Take responsibility for our obligations to our customers.

Work with law enforcement authorities.

We also informed the subcommittee of the following:
    Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.

We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”
    By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.
    As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.
    Protecting individuals’ personal data is the highestpriority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cybercrime and cyber terrorism.
    We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.
    We told the subcommittee about our intent to offer complimentary identity theft protection to U.S. account holders and detailed the “Welcome Back” program that includes free downloads, 30 days of free membership in the
    PlayStation Plus premium subscription service; 30 days of free service for Music Unlimited subscribers; and extending PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited subscriptions for the number of days services were unavailable.

We are working around the clock to have some PlayStation Network services restored and we’ll be providing specific details shortly. We hope this update is helpful to you, and we will continue to keep you posted as we work to restore our network and provide you with both the entertainment and the security you deserve.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...presentatives/
    Pro-hackers saying for a fact that anon wasn't behind this must feel pretty stupid now.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Express View Post
    Pro-hackers saying for a fact that anon wasn't behind this must feel pretty stupid now.
    It's on the same line as "Pakistan government did not know Bin ladin was hiding near their military compound for 5 years"

Thread Information