Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony Updates PS3 Shipment Details

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has already been posted, i searched for it and couldn't find it but i'm sure we all know how that hasn't been functioning correctly.

Anyways check it out

Quote Originally Posted by gamasutra
    September 11, 2006

Analyst: Sony Updates PS3 Shipment Details
    Following a conference with market analysts late last week, unspecified "Sony PlayStation management" representatives have clarified earlier reports on the recent downsizing of the PS3's shipment to take place at its November launch.

In a report filed by Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian, the management explained the shipment numbers of the PS3's two models. "The split between premium (60GB) and core (20GB) units at US retail stores," Sebastian said, referring to the high-end model complete with a 60GB hard drive and HDMI video output, and the lower-end 20GB hard drive version, "should be roughly 80/20%."

Though initial shipments aren't expected to break 400,000 units for the November 17th launch, the representatives stated another 800,000 units would be shipped via air freight throughout the remainder of the calendar year, with a total of 1.2 million units expected to hit U.S. shelves by the end of December, and the same number for consumers in Japan.

Sony also added that with refinement and improvement of BluRay laser supplies -- the high-capacity storage media said to be causing the downgraded supply numbers -- the company expects its PS3 production to increase to an additional 1.2 million units monthly.

On services available at the console's launch, Sebastian commented that a full array of network functionality would be ready out of the box, including "...video, audio, and text chat, gamer rankings, as well as limited content downloads such as casual games and game updates," but that additional planned services like internet browsing and fully-downloadable console games were not expected due to "storage and bandwidth constraints."

The report concludes that the company will fully lift the veil on its online service, including the leveraging of Sony's music and video divisions within the network application, at the Tokyo Game Show, set to begin in a few weeks time.

Moving away from the console division, Sony also added that a new bundle was forthcoming for the company's PSP. The new handheld 'entertainment' bundle will include a yet unspecified UMD movie, its ATV Off Road Fury (recently promoted to its Greatest Hits line), and a 1 gig memory stick -- a large step up from the 32MB stick currently offered in the premium PSP pack. No price or date was set on the new bundle.
    EDIT: Forgot the link.... http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=10826

Veteran
    I think most people would've gotten the 60GB regardless.

I Won't Kill You, But I Don't Have To Save You

HighPs3
    Yea its cool. If you play your cards right you just might get one before Xmas but it will be tough..

On a side note I hate when people say "sorry if this is been posted" sucks people have to say that as like a disclaimer to no get flamed. Thanks for posting you dont have to say sorry imo, even if it was posted

Apprentice
    but that additional planned services like internet browsing and fully-downloadable console games were not expected due to "storage and bandwidth constraints
    ... does this mean that we cant browse internet at launch??? will we be able to after through some sort of software upgrade or are the systems at launch just not going to internet browse at all?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney18 View Post
    ... does this mean that we cant browse internet at launch??? will we be able to after through some sort of software upgrade or are the systems at launch just not going to internet browse at all?
    I'm sure you will be. It's like the PSP browser, I'm sure. They'll get it to you in a few months.

Anyways, I think the internet thing is kinda useless since I'm kinda browsing the internet right now...

No need for it on a console IMO.

Dedicated Member
    maybe it will be in a firmware update like when the launch is over and they have time to dedicate to it there may even be a whole sony online launch event you never know

PSN Bloodfang-UK

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney18 View Post
    If it won't be on launch then thats too bad. They'll put it in whenever that may be. I would've liked to try it out on launch but it's not the most important feature to be using so i have no complaints.

Veteran
    It also looks like 800K more units will be shipped before the years end.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPs3 View Post
    Yea its cool. If you play your cards right you just might get one before Xmas but it will be tough..

On a side note I hate when people say "sorry if this is been posted" sucks people have to say that as like a disclaimer to no get flamed. Thanks for posting you dont have to say sorry imo, even if it was posted
    Yeah i know i just say it to save people from saying that "it's already been posted" and "use the search next time" like a hundred times over, gets old especially when your just trying to contribute to the forums... anyways

Quote Originally Posted by cashmoney18
    It's just saying it's not expected so Sony have not said anything here it's just analyst speculation.. we all know how often they get things wrong.. if this was to occur though we would hear about it at TGS, not long to go now

Dedicated Member
    That sucks about the Internet Browsing. Good thing the European launch was delayed to March I suppose.
    CAN I HAZ SOME MOAR GRAVY PWEEZ
    xbl: excentric killa PLAY GAMES

HighPs3
    Seriously a browser in general takes very limited resources.

Why would bandwidth be an issue but while playing a game it would not?

Why would storage be an issue when you have 20gb hd at the least?

A browser is a very simple application in terms of memory usage, storage usage, etc...

Only reason I see is if you can fully multi task DURING a game and they havent got that squared away yet. That I could believe due to its even hard alt + tabbing on a PC when in the middle of a game. However if its just stand a lone I dont see why it wouldnt be their..

If all else fails it will be a firmware update...

Super Elite
    "The split between premium (60GB) and core (20GB) units at US retail stores," Sebastian said, referring to the high-end model complete with a 60GB hard drive and HDMI video output, and the lower-end 20GB hard drive version, "should be roughly 80/20%."
    I guess Microsoft launching first wasn't as big of an advantage as they made it to be. Sony learned from Microsoft's system that few (if any) bought the low end system. I know that the comparison of Microsoft's low end vs. high end is not the same as Sony's low end vs. high end, but frankly your average non PS3 internet forum browsing Joe won't know this. To him it would still be a crippled system, even though it's not and most store clerks are gonna sell it that way to try and make more money off the $600 system, when in actuality (if the same as the XBOX 360) they will make around $10 for every $500 system sold and $15 for every $600 system sold. Unless you deal with ordering things from vendors and know the "real cost", you can only make money off game sales (esp. used) and accessories (these have the biggest margin).
    Like my post? Show your support accordingly.

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Karate master, and Microsoft is still not black belt." - Ken Kutaragi on XBL

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighPs3 View Post
    Seriously a browser in general takes very limited resources.

Why would bandwidth be an issue but while playing a game it would not?

Why would storage be an issue when you have 20gb hd at the least?

A browser is a very simple application in terms of memory usage, storage usage, etc...

Only reason I see is if you can fully multi task DURING a game and they havent got that squared away yet. That I could believe due to its even hard alt + tabbing on a PC when in the middle of a game. However if its just stand a lone I dont see why it wouldnt be their..

If all else fails it will be a firmware update...
    IMO I highly doubt this has anything to do with the PS3 unit’s ability to work as a browser. Like DOGG said, not really disappointed that I can not use this functionality now or ever. Nice find, looks like Sony is going to “pop the cork” on info we are looking for after all at TGS.
    PLAYING B3YOND since November 17th 2006 and F@H since 3/23/07.

Sig by buckeyefan.

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post
    I guess Microsoft launching first wasn't as big of an advantage as they made it to be. Sony learned from Microsoft's system that few (if any) bought the low end system. I know that the comparison of Microsoft's low end vs. high end is not the same as Sony's low end vs. high end, but frankly your average non PS3 internet forum browsing Joe won't know this. To him it would still be a crippled system, even though it's not and most store clerks are gonna sell it that way to try and make more money off the $600 system, when in actuality (if the same as the XBOX 360) they will make around $10 for every $500 system sold and $15 for every $600 system sold. Unless you deal with ordering things from vendors and know the "real cost", you can only make money off game sales (esp. used) and accessories (these have the biggest margin).
    If faced with the $500 unit or nothing I would have to wait…..Glad to hear the 80 / 20 split, IMO sounds about the right spread for demand.

Sig by buckeyefan.

Dedicated Member
    good to see some confirmation on the online system. TGS couldnt get any bigger.

Master Sage
    Geez, i shouldn't have looked at the TGS countdown.. only 11 days away!!! Wow okay i'm getting hyped now

Ultimate Veteran
    80/20? That's a really good split! This makes me happy And I told you guys Sony would show the final online plans at TGS

Superior Member
    The only question I have with this thread is the downloadable console games- isn't the PSone emulator launching this fall for the PSP? Sony announced that there would be titles available for launch, is that being pushed back now?

Super Elite
    is this a good thing? la la la la la

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
    "It's a dangerous business going out your front door."
    "Not all those that wander are lost."
    "Courage is found in unlikely places."
    "All that we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    80/20? That's a really good split! This makes me happy And I told you guys Sony would show the final online plans at TGS
    Speculation time, do you think they will show anything else besides 27 playable games?

Sig by buckeyefan.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
    Speculation time, do you think they will show anything else besides 27 playable games?
    Thats not even a question at this point. "Everyone had to eat their veggies" so that they are "ready for dessert"

Forum Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Thats not even a question at this point. "Everyone had to eat their veggies" so that they are "ready for dessert"
    Then we should be more than ready for desert……

Sig by buckeyefan.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Hey Guys,

EDIT: Forgot the link.... http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=10826
    Damn No Browser on Day one????? Are they retarded???? I wanna surf the web IN MY LIVING ROOM anyway from my Computer.

Believe in me!
    Man forget desert...Bring on the main dish!

Good split btw, but I think that they should've made it a 90:10 split...
    "Believe in me, who believes in you!"

airupthere23
    This is starting to look real good for me if I'm #11 on my pre-order list for a 60GB...

Thread Information