Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Concussions in the NFL

How do you feel about concussions in the NFL? Do you feel it is enough to justify the new hitting rules, in which you cannot hit a defenseless player, aim for the head, and so on?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I agree with the aiming for the head rule, but everything else is stupid. These are the risks that come with signing contracts worth millions of dollars to play a very physical sport.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I agree with the aiming for the head rule, but everything else is stupid. These are the risks that come with signing contracts worth millions of dollars to play a very physical sport.
    I agree.

They're trying to decrease the rate of concussions, but what I believe they should do is upgrade the equipment such as helmets and pads.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    wesmore24
    Items EA LogoBattlefield 3Bruce LeeUser name style
    I also agree with the aiming for the head rule, remember that hit that Steeler player did, that was brutal and probally intentional. I also think that the other rules for takling are just changing the definition of football. You guys with me?

Superior Member
    I don't think there is a concussion epidemic, I just think the players are more willing to admit and the coaches/trainers willing to recognize. The players have gotten faster and strong but these are the guys they played against in college they are going with it. So to say the hits are getting worse I think is bull, but players on the receiving end lose tolerance earlier. I think the new rules are justifiable but need to be followed/punished with much more consistency. Some of the fines seem arbitrary even "repeat offenders" needed proper re-training first. Instituting the new rules during the season without the rules being established at a team level. They need a "symposium" of sorts to establish the cause and effect. I would also say that a newly retired player should be included into the reviewing committee to help identify "intent" as someone with current experience can comment on current trends.

The other side I'll only mention and that is the monopoly on helmet distribution Riddell has. This removes competitive development in the piece of equipment. Riddell has spent 20 years with an NFL contract as may as 5yrs at a time, alot can be improved in a shorter time.

Veteran

I believe they should leave the rules alone.
    cuz likeee if they changed them it would turn in soccer lol

Quote Originally Posted by wesmore24 View Post
    I also agree with the aiming for the head rule, remember that hit that Steeler player did, that was brutal and probally intentional. I also think that the other rules for takling are just changing the definition of football. You guys with me?
    James Harrison I think. I like Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd of the mid-90s. He was the master of the helmet-to-helmet decapitating head shot on the qb. He got fined and punished for it even back then, I think even suspended.
    Video Game Reviewers - over 100 reviewers ranked

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    a bit annoying, might as well put flags on em

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Thread Information