Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Japan Sales 5/23 - 5/29

PSP 33,609
    3DS 24,283
    PS3 15,987
    Wii 7,438
    DSi LL 5,197
    DSi 5,106
    Xbox 360 2,303
    PS2 1,274
    DS Lite 139
    PSP go 76

Source (with software)

Wii still going lower due to lack of games, PS3 also declining due to not many Japanese oriented games, just western games keeping it above the Wii atm (PSN still down in Japan too), PS2 starting to dip almost below 1K.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Soldier 95B
    I have to imagine it is costing MS money to keep the 360 in Japan.....I think that they should just pull out.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I have to imagine it is costing MS money to keep the 360 in Japan.....I think that they should just pull out.
    how is it costing them?

Elite Member
    Pandora's Tower was in development for the Wii for 4 years and it debuts with less than 30k? Wow.

El Presidente
    That earthquake sure didn't help. I hope Japan can get back on their feet soon. And people are still actually buying the PSP Go? Lol

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    how is it costing them?
    If they are only selling 2000 Xbox 360s in a week, or say 8000 in a month, that is about $2 million dollars in revenue at $250 an Xbox average. For the sake of this argument, lets say the HARDWARE costs them $125 x 8000. That is $1 million dollars. That leaves $1 million dollars for packaging, shipping, profits to the retail outlets, profits to the online outlets. THEN, we need to talk about advertising. Billboards, magazines, posters, signage at retail stores, online ads, bandwidth and advertising design for the NXE dashboard, demo Xboxes for retail stores, employee pay, employee benefits, warranty replacements and repairs. I am confident I haven't covered all the expenses involved, but clearly selling 8000 a month is NOT a money maker. They sell more than a million a month in the US alone. NOW THAT is a money maker.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    If they are only selling 2000 Xbox 360s in a week, or say 8000 in a month, that is about $2 million dollars in revenue at $250 an Xbox average. For the sake of this argument, lets say the HARDWARE costs them $125 x 8000. That is $1 million dollars. That leaves $1 million dollars for packaging, shipping, profits to the retail outlets, profits to the online outlets. THEN, we need to talk about advertising. Billboards, magazines, posters, signage at retail stores, online ads, bandwidth and advertising design for the NXE dashboard, demo Xboxes for retail stores, employee pay, employee benefits, warranty replacements and repairs. I am confident I haven't covered all the expenses involved, but clearly selling 8000 a month is NOT a money maker. They sell more than a million a month in the US alone. NOW THAT is a money maker.
    Yeah but its the same with the PS2, it probably doesn't get any marketing now though its just living off its previous years of success.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Elder
    Microsoft needs Japan more than people think. What every company strives to be is, being an internationnally known company and for that Microsoft needs to have a foot there. This is one of MS major problem, outside of usa, it's doesn't have a great reputation, presence and to build the reputation, you need to spread your product in every corner of the world, like many other companies do. They're trying to compete in the entertainement field like Apple does and Apple has a very good reputation outside of usa. They can't let Apple have all the fun while they addmit to the rest of the world that their products don't have much appeal outside usa.

+ wether we like it or not, Japan is still very relevant in the gaming developement. Cutting support there wouldn't help them getting deals on japanese games like they did for many games like Ace Combat or Child of Eden kinect support and kinect focus... overall, they need to be present there because their competition is there too.
    Last edited by ddPLaNeT; 06-03-2011 at 15:57.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by ddPLaNeT View Post
    Microsoft needs Japan more than people think. What every company strives to be is, being an internationnally known company and for that Microsoft needs to have a foot there. This is one of MS major problem, outside of usa, it's doesn't have a great reputation, presence and to build the reputation, you need to spread your product in every corner of the world, like many other companies do. They're trying to compete in the entertainement field like Apple does and Apple has a very good reputation outside of usa. They can't let Apple have all the fun while they addmit to the rest of the world that their products don't have much appeal outside usa.

+ wether we like it or not, Japan is still very relevant in the gaming developement. Cutting support there wouldn't help them getting deals on japanese games like they did for many games like Ace Combat or Child of Eden kinect support and kinect focus... overall, they need to be present there because their competition is there too.
    Microsoft is rocking in Europe and North America with their Xbox, but failing in Japan. I agree, they need to have their presence in Japan....because how else do you make in roads? But I still believe they are operating at a loss there. How long do they go losing revenue before they decide to 1. Hang up their hat, 2. Find a new way to market/sell their Xbox to the Japanese consumers?

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Its stupid to say it, but I think the brand just "cant" be successful/well known there, Japanese tend to stick with what they know and appreciate it, plus the fact that Nintendo and Sony are both Japanese companies it would be a grand effort by MS to chink either of theirs armor in their own country

A lot of exclusive Sony western-made games don't do all that well in Japan as far as I know, so it may just be a matter of MS can't deliver the games that are sought after in Japan, and if they can - they are multiplat releases and the people there prefer their Playstations for that

Over analysis ftw

Forum Elder
    Microsoft is rocking in Europe and North America with their Xbox, but failing in Japan. I agree, they need to have their presence in Japan....because how else do you make in roads? But I still believe they are operating at a loss there. How long do they go losing revenue before they decide to 1. Hang up their hat, 2. Find a new way to market/sell their Xbox to the Japanese consumers?
    Microsoft are definitly losing money there, they know it but they will probably hit a wall one day and realize their products are just not loved by outside usa. There's something about their design/approach that is lacking... They just don't understand it.

And they've been trying for years, people just don't give a shiit about their products over there. Microsoft are seen as an evil corporation that has no soul. Is it their old bad reputation that is chasing them ? who knows, but bottom line, their products are not selling all that great, not counting Windows or Office because that is probably the only thing that is working for them and keeping their shareholders happy by printing money.

And, the only Europe Microsoft is rocking is England. France/Spain/Germany/Italy etc. are Sony land by a huge chunk. They have problems making the top ten sales in these countries, let alone top 20.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    If they pulled out of Japan they'd also be pulling out from a lot of Japanese developer support, only the likes of Capcom and Square Enix would still back them.

Soldier 95B
    And, the only Europe Microsoft is rocking is England. France/Spain/Germany/Italy etc. are Sony land by a huge chunk. They have problems making the top ten sales in these countries, let alone top 20.
    No, Microsoft is doing well in all of Europe actually, it just so happens that the UK is the best area for them (which is why they still even in Europe). If they were not doing well in Europe, they would be trailing Sony, and by a huge margin. However, that isn't the case.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    PSP Go numbers are pitiful. But the regular PSP is at the top of the charts.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    PSP Go numbers are pitiful. But the regular PSP is at the top of the charts.
    Not bad for a discontinued system. It wouldve been a success had there been more backlog on PSN though.

Dedicated Member
    Microsoft are definitly losing money there, they know it but they will probably hit a wall one day and realize their products are just not loved by outside usa. There's something about their design/approach that is lacking... They just don't understand it.

And they've been trying for years, people just don't give a shiit about their products over there. Microsoft are seen as an evil corporation that has no soul. Is it their old bad reputation that is chasing them ? who knows, but bottom line, their products are not selling all that great, not counting Windows or Office because that is probably the only thing that is working for them and keeping their shareholders happy by printing money.

i agree.

Dedicated Member
    No, Microsoft is doing well in all of Europe actually, it just so happens that the UK is the best area for them (which is why they still even in Europe). If they were not doing well in Europe, they would be trailing Sony, and by a huge margin. However, that isn't the case.
    cmon outside of uk hardly anyone here in europe gives a flyin *** about the x360..i live here so am much more in the know about the markets. As for japan, microsoft should just walk out and stop embarrassing themselves.Actually, in asian countries the situation is even worse than europe (excluding uk)..in japan many people consider xbox as third rate american junk cos japanese have a superiority complex about their electronics.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 06-04-2011 at 21:56.

Dedicated Member
    double post

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Not bad for a discontinued system. It wouldve been a success had there been more backlog on PSN though.
    Tbh I think its because most consumers still prefer physical media. Also people with PSP Phats had no reason to get the Go because the Phat has both UMD games and can still also download stuff off of PSN. Also Go didnt have any real added features to it like analog sticks for example. Sony gave no compelling reasons for PSP Phat owners to switch over. For that reason I always thought that the Go was doomed to fail imo.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 06-04-2011 at 22:35.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    cmon outside of uk hardly anyone here in europe gives a flyin *** about the x360..i live here so am much more in the know about the markets. As for japan, microsoft should just walk out and stop embarrassing themselves.Actually, in asian countries the situation is even worse than europe (excluding uk)..in japan many people consider xbox as third rate american junk cos japanese have a superiority complex about their electronics.
    Half of my family lives in Europe. Granted I am only out there a few times a year, but I know the market. Outside the UK, the 360 is doing extremely well. Situation in Europe for the 360 is better than the PS3. As for asia, yeah...it's a lost cause for the 360.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Tbh I think its because most consumers still prefer physical media. Also people with PSP Phats had no reason to get the Go because the Phat has both UMD games and can still also download stuff off of PSN. Also Go didnt have any real added features to it like analog sticks for example. Sony gave no compelling reasons for PSP Phat owners to switch over. For that reason I always thought that the Go was doomed to fail imo.
    I agree with the bolded. I wouldve liked to of gotten one but 3 things turned me off:

The ridiculous price
    The smaller Screen
    Not enough backlog on the Store

With NGP I''m definitely going 100% download only because I think its easier to simply navigate the XMB (or whatever OS is on there, hopefully XMB is an option) and launch into a game, rather than fiddling with cartridges. I'll always prefer discs with Home entertainment, but for portable I think its better to have it all inside the device.

The controls and design were the best thing about the go but the smaller screen was silly, it was only a slight difference but even if they kept the same screen size it wouldve been a compact design.

Thread Information