Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistagamer View Post
    I actually used to own one of those old Cougars way back in 1989. Mine was a dark green and had side pipes though.

So, having owned one, I can say for certain that there isn't nearly enough body roll in that replay. You would have to put an incredibly stiff suspension in one of those old Cougars to get the body to stay that flat and level. Normally you should see the nose drop and raise every time you changed gears, and the front should dive down almost to the point where it's touching pavement under heavy braking.

Also the car is sitting too high on the suspension. It looks like they put a lift kit from a pickup truck in it.

I would like to see them animate the turn signals, that way you can see the lights scroll to the edges. That's something I've only recently started seeing cars like the Mustang doing again.

Overall, not too bad. A little off, but I doubt too many non-owners would see the flaws.

Arthur Spooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I actually used to own one of those old Cougars way back in 1989. Mine was a dark green and had side pipes though.

So, having owned one, I can say for certain that there isn't nearly enough body roll in that replay. You would have to put an incredibly stiff suspension in one of those old Cougars to get the body to stay that flat and level. Normally you should see the nose drop and raise every time you changed gears, and the front should dive down almost to the point where it's touching pavement under heavy braking.

Also the car is sitting too high on the suspension. It looks like they put a lift kit from a pickup truck in it.

I would like to see them animate the turn signals, that way you can see the lights scroll to the edges. That's something I've only recently started seeing cars like the Mustang doing again.

Overall, not too bad. A little off, but I doubt too many non-owners would see the flaws.

Really? I think it looks perfect height-wise.

And you don't think the body roll was enough? At :42 seconds it looks like wheels would come off the ground if the body roll was any more severe. I don't know what kind of shape your car was in back then but that's something to consider too I guess. You said you owned it in '89 and weren't those models made in the 70s? The cars in the game will probably reflect brand new specs, while yours might have had a little more wear in that respect.
    Last edited by Arthur Spooner; 06-22-2011 at 20:49.

Superior Member

New Forza 4 preview from E3.

I think I will now jump into a racing wheel rig. Oh yes.

The title was supposed to include "racing wheel". Sorry guys.

Elite Member
    Looks like Forza is doing yet another thing better than GT5. I was so disappointed with the so called Top Gear features in GT5 - it looks like Turn 10 got it right, especially with having the correct replay cameras. Can someone please explain to me why Polyphony thought it was a good idea NOT to have those camera views like the TV show? It just baffles me...

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Spooner View Post

And you don't think the body roll was enough? At :42 seconds it looks like wheels would come off the ground if the body roll was any more severe. I don't know what kind of shape your car was in back then but that's something to consider too I guess. You said you owned it in '89 and weren't those models made in the 70s? The cars in the game will probably reflect brand new specs, while yours might have had a little more wear in that respect.
    Yeah, I was thinking it was going to lift two wheels a couple times. I used to own a similar car, though mine was the Olds 442 back then, and they behaved very similar. Looks like they did a pretty good job representing.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Spooner View Post
    Yes, I'm quite certain the body is riding too high. Perhaps they saw the same calendar you just posed and thought they all looked like that.

Not moving...

Accelerating

See how much it raised up on it's suspension? That's totally normal from the car in perfect condition. It dove down even farther under braking. Like I said, it comes within an inch or so of dragging the nose on the ground under heavy braking. The bodies moved around a lot on that old leaf spring suspension.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 06-24-2011 at 22:36.

Master Guru
    As much as people would love to think these devs are doing it, neither GT or Forza has balanced all of their cars accurately. It would take too long to nail each car. They probably will have some pretty specific data for the major cars, but others are probably going to have more generic specs. There are several instances in both games where owners say the balance, weight, gear shifting are off with several cars. There just is not way they can get all of these cars perfect just yet.

Forum Sage
    All I know is the game looks phenomenal. It looks practically real. Great job turn10. I am watching on my phone tho
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by skulpt View Post
    As much as people would love to think these devs are doing it, neither GT or Forza has balanced all of their cars accurately. It would take too long to nail each car. They probably will have some pretty specific data for the major cars, but others are probably going to have more generic specs. There are several instances in both games where owners say the balance, weight, gear shifting are off with several cars. There just is not way they can get all of these cars perfect just yet.
    In past Forza games there have only been a few actual cars and a bunch of different skins on them. There is Rear Wheel Drive, Front Wheel Drive, and All Wheel Drive. front, mid, and rear engine. Regardless of the car make and model, if you match it's weight, engine placement. horsepower and suspension tuning to the same as any other make and model with the same drivetrain layout they will drive exactly the same.

In short, they don't actually model each car seperately from a physics point of view, they only have basic car configurations and everything else is a matter of changing the tuning settings.

That's why you can use one of the many Forza tuning calculators and don't need to enter in a specific car to tune. Weight, which tires drive the car, and engine placement is all you need to know.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 06-25-2011 at 04:57.

Dedicated Member

Stupid double posts.

Soldier 95B
    See how much it raised up on it's suspension? That's totally normal from the car in perfect condition. It dove down even farther under braking. Like I said, it comes within an inch or so of dragging the nose on the ground under heavy braking. The bodies moved around a lot on that old leaf spring suspension.
    Especially for a video game, they modeled it pretty darn accurate, at least in my experience with the real life cars and this game. Not sure why your experience differed though.

In past Forza games there have only been a few actual cars and a bunch of different skins on them. There is Rear Wheel Drive, Front Wheel Drive, and All Wheel Drive. front, mid, and rear engine. Regardless of the car make and model, if you match it's weight, engine placement. horsepower and suspension tuning to the same as any other make and model with the same drivetrain layout they will drive exactly the same.

In short, they don't actually model each car seperately from a physics point of view, they only have basic car configurations and everything else is a matter of changing the tuning settings.

That's why you can use one of the many Forza tuning calculators and don't need to enter in a specific car to tune. Weight, which tires drive the car, and engine placement is all you need to know.
    That is 100% inaccurate. If you give the Buick GNX, the Mazda Miata, a Ferrari California and Holden all S class ratings with the same points, they will perform entirely different. Different top speeds, different cornering, different wind resistance, different braking, different handling....all different physics.

Master Guru
    Different doesn't mean accurate though. Forza 3 cars are way too floaty even with all physics bumped up in the settings. You can get out of grass wayyyy to easily without spinning out with most cars as well. GT5 has more weight, but they still haven't nailed other aspects. Neither of these games are making it feel 100% like you're driving the car. Maybe on the PS4 and 720, they will start to get this more. I think they are good at giving a general feel for some of the cars, but the physics engine needed to nail real life is just impossible at this point. It's not like these games are taking each part of the car and factoring it in. I highly doubt they even factor in weight of the front of the car vs back of the car. There are aerodynamic issues, weight issues, and the list goes on and on. Car companies have computers that are hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to calculate what a car will do. I don't think a $150 dollar box can figure all of that out. Neither can a $300 box.

That said, I think Forza 4 looks amazing. They've jacked this game up on so many levels. I just hope they give cars more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Especially for a video game, they modeled it pretty darn accurate, at least in my experience with the real life cars and this game. Not sure why your experience differed though.

That is 100% inaccurate. If you give the Buick GNX, the Mazda Miata, a Ferrari California and Holden all S class ratings with the same points, they will perform entirely different. Different top speeds, different cornering, different wind resistance, different braking, different handling....all different physics.
    Last edited by skulpt; 06-25-2011 at 18:40.

Dedicated Member

As long as this game can run the so-called graphics upgrade at 60fps I will be happy. Something about 30 fps in a racing game just doesn't feel right to me.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It never does, but turn 10 can get the best out of the 360 console and i stick by that view
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member

Make them all the same weight and the same horsepower, give them the same tuning setup, and they will all perform exactly the same.

You can confirm this with a WRX and an AWD Skyline. Make them as close as you can to the same weight and give them the same tuning setup and they will drive almost exactly the same, despite the fact that the WRX uses a symetrical all wheel drive system and the Skyline uses an asymetrical all wheel drive system that alters the amount of power supplied to each wheel individually.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by skulpt View Post
    Different doesn't mean accurate though. Forza 3 cars are way too floaty even with all physics bumped up in the settings. You can get out of grass wayyyy to easily without spinning out with most cars as well. GT5 has more weight, but they still haven't nailed other aspects. Neither of these games are making it feel 100% like you're driving the car. Maybe on the PS4 and 720, they will start to get this more. I think they are good at giving a general feel for some of the cars, but the physics engine needed to nail real life is just impossible at this point. It's not like these games are taking each part of the car and factoring it in. I highly doubt they even factor in weight of the front of the car vs back of the car. There are aerodynamic issues, weight issues, and the list goes on and on. Car companies have computers that are hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to calculate what a car will do. I don't think a $150 dollar box can figure all of that out. Neither can a $300 box.

That said, I think Forza 4 looks amazing. They've jacked this game up on so many levels. I just hope they give cars more weight.
    They don't have to wait until the next gen. Race Pro 09 has no problem stomping FM3 and GT5 in the areas you mentioned.

Make them all the same weight and the same horsepower, give them the same tuning setup, and they will all perform exactly the same.

You can confirm this with a WRX and an AWD Skyline. Make them as close as you can to the same weight and give them the same tuning setup and they will drive almost exactly the same, despite the fact that the WRX uses a symetrical all wheel drive system and the Skyline uses an asymetrical all wheel drive system that alters the amount of power supplied to each wheel individually.
    Again, NEGATIVE. I have already done it with the vehicles I mentioned and they are not even remotely close to handling the same. You can say it until you are blue in the face, but that won't change the fact that they handle and perform completely different, even if tuned and weighted the same.

Master Guru
    They don't have to wait until the next gen. Race Pro 09 has no problem stomping FM3 and GT5 in the areas you mentioned.
    Hey cool. What is the general feeling for that game? Why aren't more people playing it? Just a lack of polish? I'll have to check that game out.

Dedicated Member

Again, NEGATIVE. I have already done it with the vehicles I mentioned and they are not even remotely close to handling the same. You can say it until you are blue in the face, but that won't change the fact that they handle and perform completely different, even if tuned and weighted the same.
    What can I say, you have a vivid imagination and believe the engine is doing a whole lot more than it is. It's a nice placebo effect obviously, but it doesn't change the FACT that all of the car data is in a simple spreadsheet format, and the cars are not modeled seperately by the physics engine. They all follow the exact same spreadsheet format.

Front/Rear/Mid Engine
    Front/Rear/AWD
    Total Weight
    Weight Balance
    Gearbox settings
    Suspension settings
    Steering settings
    Tire settings
    Aero Settings (Keep in mind the engine doesn't actually do any aerodynamics calculation, it just alters the speed and grip settings.)
    Engine Mappings

That's all the data that is stored for each car. If you get any two cars to match the settings the cars will behave identically, exactly the same, regardless of what you may think.

Forum Sage
    What can I say, you have a vivid imagination and believe the engine is doing a whole lot more than it is. It's a nice placebo effect obviously, but it doesn't change the FACT that all of the car data is in a simple spreadsheet format, and the cars are not modeled seperately by the physics engine. They all follow the exact same spreadsheet format.

Front/Rear/Mid Engine
    Front/Rear/AWD
    Total Weight
    Weight Balance
    Gearbox settings
    Suspension settings
    Steering settings
    Tire settings
    Aero Settings (Keep in mind the engine doesn't actually do any aerodynamics calculation, it just alters the speed and grip settings.)
    Engine Mappings

That's all the data that is stored for each car. If you get any two cars to match the settings the cars will behave identically, exactly the same, regardless of what you may think.
    I think You should just post the link to this so that you can prove your point. Instead of it going back and forth. I play the game a lot and I would say I'm falling for this placebo effect your talking about after trying it last night, but if you have proof of it I'll happily accept it.

Sometimes the human Brain does this.

Is it the same for gt5 as well then or just forza?
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    I think You should just post the link to this so that you can prove your point. Instead of it going back and forth. I play the game a lot and I would say I'm falling for this placebo effect your talking about after trying it last night, but if you have proof of it I'll happily accept it.

Sometimes the human Brain does this.

Is it the same for gt5 as well then or just forza?
    He is pulling the wool over your eyes and lying to the extreme. Very simple check. Just take any American Muscle car and take any other car, be it an exotic, dodge neon, etc. Match up their weights, PI class, everything. Take them to the drag track, take them to Daytona, take them to the Ring. You won't get the same acceleration, the same top speeds, the same cornering, same track times, nor will they have the same body roll.

I would just ignore CA, as he is just trying to get a rise out of people.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 06-27-2011 at 14:23.

Elite Member

Front/Rear/Mid Engine
    Front/Rear/AWD
    Total Weight
    Weight Balance
    Gearbox settings
    Suspension settings
    Steering settings
    Tire settings
    Engine Mappings

This is not true at all. I've put in hundreds of hours on Forza 3, and most of it has been buying cars, tuning them to exactly max S class (700) and running them around the ring and comparing lap times. I have done this with hundreds of cars and they all put up very different lap times. Even the Porsche GT3 and GT3RS are separated by almost 4 seconds (with the RS ahead) with both tuned exactly the same. The Lamborghini Murcielago, Murcielago LP640, and LP670-4 SV all run different times as well. And it just so happens that the STANDARD Murcielago is actually the fastest when all are tuned to 700 rank. And the lap times are only half the story, I can tell you without question that every car is very unique. The difference between the Porsche GT3 and GT3RS is clear, Turn 10 even managed to get the exhaust note difference between the two correct.
    Last edited by gillmanjr; 06-27-2011 at 14:17.

Soldier 95B

Soldier 95B
    Collectors Edition Announced:

Forza Motorsport 4 Limited Collector's Edition

June 27, 2011by BRIAN EKBERG

The long wait is nearly over. Starting October 11, Forza Motorsport 4 will be unleashed, and the world of automotive entertainment will never be the same. Featuring unmatched graphics and innovative features designed to push the racing genre in brand new directions, Forza 4 will be the ultimate playground for car fans. Today we've got the details on the Limited Collector's Edition of Forza Motorsport 4, which is also arriving starting on October 11.

Bundled together in a polished Steelbook DVD Case, the Limited Collector's Edition content will include the following:

The VIP Car Pack:
    2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
    2011 Ferrari 458 Challenge
    2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
    2010 Noble M600
    2011 RUF Rt 12 R

The limited quantity "Ship Bonus" car pack available for fans who order Forza 4 early:
    1965 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
    2011 Koenigsegg Agera
    1997 Lexus SC300
    2011 RUF RGT-8
    2011 Tesla Roadster Sport

The Limited Collector's Edition will also include a ten-car add-on pack featuring a selection of the best classic American muscle cars. In addition, there will be custom-designed BMW cars (also available for purchase at launch on Xbox LIVE Marketplace) selected as part of the "Forza Motorsport 4 BMW Design Challenge.", as well as "Cars of Forza Motorsport 4 Presented by Top Gear," a gorgeous 96-page volume written by the editors at Top Gear. It features 96-pages of fantastic imagery both from Forza 4 and from Top Gear's extensive photo library, as well as insightful commentary accompanying the in-game Autovista experience. Other goodies include: a set of vinyl stickers featuring the logos of "Forza Motorsport 4," "Top Gear" and "Turn 10;" VIP Membership status within the Forza community including special recognition in the Forza community, leaderboards, ForzaMotorsport.net and more; and an exclusive BMW theme available for download via Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

In addition to all the sweet stuff above, one of best reasons to get the LCE version of Forza 4 is the 2012 BMW M5, unveiled for the first time as the newest addition to the Forza 4 lineup at this weekend's 24 Hour of Nürburgring race event in Germany. The new BMW M5 will be drivable first in Forza Motorsport 4 and will also be featured on the cover of the LCE version of the game. That means the stunning super-sedan will be automatically included in the LCE version of Forza 4, and all Xbox LIVE members will be able to download the car to drive. In addition, fans will be able to explore the meticulous design and impeccable execution of the BMW M5 via Autovista mode, where Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson will take fans on a virtual tour of the world's most sought-after cars.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    @soldier - colour me unimpressed by constant garage / replay shots. its one of the things that put me off the GT series, and its annoying me about forza now. i don't care what it looks like in the garage or replays, i care about in-game footage.

Thread Information