Soldier 95B

Microsoft to integrate Xbox Live in Windows 8

It appears as though Microsoft has revealed that their popular Xbox Live service will be built into "the PC" – something that indicates it could very well be a part of Microsoft’s next operating system, Windows 8. Mike Delman, VP of global marketing at Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business group, was interviewed by The Seattle Times (via WinRumors) at E3 and had this to say:

Live has been successful on the Windows Phone. Live will be built into the PC. It will be the service where you get your entertainment. We were talking about it — you will not just see consoles and handhelds at this show next year, this show's going to morph into other devices.
    When asked directly how the Live service would be part of Windows 8, Delman mentioned how Microsoft wants users to be able to use the service seamlessly between devices, indicating the possibility of a familiar Xbox Live interface in Windows 8 as well as Windows Phone 7. He also mentioned how Xbox Live will be the "passive media service across devices."

With Windows 8 going the way of the Metro Design Language as first seen in Windows Phone 7, and the Xbox 360 following suit, it is not surprising to see that Microsoft wants to integrate their popular media/gaming service into their next operating system. They have already integrated it into their latest phone OS, so the PC market is next on the list.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...into-windows-8

I am a Mac guy through and through, but if there is some tight Xbox Live integration in Win 8, I might consider Windows again.

Forum Sage

Can't see this catching on at all, Steam just goes from strength to strength.

Dedicated Member

It won't work at it's current pricing scheme. Nobody is going to want to pay an extra $60 per year to access Live from their PC or phone. I can see why they can get away with charging on their own console, but they have no chance of competing with free services like Steam on the PC, tablets, or phones if MS requires you to pay to use it.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by smiggy View Post
    Can't see this catching on at all, Steam just goes from strength to strength.
    I imagine it would take off like hotcakes since it will be on every pc and device running windows 8. Almost scary to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I imagine it would take off like hotcakes since it will be on every pc and device running windows 8. Almost scary to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only take off if people want to pay yearly to play online, why do that if you have steam? where you can play games online for free.

Just cause every PC might have it does not mean everyone will use it.

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah GFWL can suck a fat one and so can this if they think I'll be paying to access XBL from my desktop

BBK Is Tapatalking

Forum Sage
    Passive media service are the key words.

faraohRAMSI
    But isnt Live already on PC ? He means will be better integraded with Windows 8, maybe with software to access it ?

Also it is called Windows Live on PC, not Xbox live of course

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by faraohRAMSI View Post
    But isnt Live already on PC ? He means will be better integraded with Windows 8, maybe with software to access it ?

Also it is called Windows Live on PC, not Xbox live of course
    No, this is different. It's actual integration of Xbox Live.

Like this:

Master Guru
    I really like the idea actually. It only makes sense. Not that I will use it that much, but they are adding some really strong assets to Windows by integrating it like that.

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Very complicated message to understand. For sure they are not talking about the core-gaming side of Xbox Live which is the subscription fee to play online AAA core-games.

So perhaps it is about having access to casual games on Xbox Live Arcade. The controlling will perhaps be done via touch-screen on the tablets which will support Windows 8 which is a different operating system to Windows Phone 7 (perhaps it would have been better to combine the two).

So basically like GameCentre which Apple have. A place where you can download casual games and interface with them through tablets running Windows 8 via touch-screens accelerometers, gyro-scopes, cameras, augmented reality and micro-phones.

I think Microsoft are trying to simply their message. Apple has i devices and then a seamless iOS experience with a seamless iTunes. I think this is what Microsoft also wants. Windows 8 will be iOS for them, the Nokia products they have in the pipeline (as well as their own rumored tablet brand alongside) alongside support from HTC, Samsung and LG will be their i devices and then Xbox Live with be their iTunes (i.e. a media-platform) delivering not only those casual Xbox Live Arcade games and online/social gaming/connections but also music and video through Zune which I believe they are going to drop as a brand.

So it seems to be following a very similar strategy to Apple really.

I am not sure I like this direction because what does it have to do with core-gaming. How does it exactly fit into that? It seems Microsoft are deadly serious about these strategies going-forward. Shame. They could have made a great core-gamers portable console - this - just like Apple's i devices does not appeal to me at all in terms of gaming.
    Last edited by Wasib; 06-17-2011 at 00:34.

Thread Information