Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Head2Head-Alice:Madness returns analysis

Elite Member

That's harsh. The 360 version looks MUCH closer to the PC version. The PS3 version doesn't look nearly as good.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    My interest sort of declined, I dont like to support such poor efforts (No excuse for it, really)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Wow, what the hell happened?
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    My interest sort of declined, I dont like to support such poor efforts (No excuse for it, really)
    Unless you're a developer I don't think you're in any position to decide what is and isn't a poor effort. They may well have done the best job of porting the PC game to the PS3 architecture that could be done, how would you know the difference?

First, it uses an older version of the Unreal Engine which means it has poor PS3 support at the game engine level.

Second, it takes advantage of some of the post DX9 features in the 360 GPU that are not present in the PS3 GPU. Lighting is a big difference in this game, Battlefield 3 will also have some special lighting on the 360, that should tell you there is a hardware difference in what the systems can do as far as lighting goes.

And then there are the textures. The game engine itself doesn't require much RAM to run. On the 360s unified memory that means they can dedicate more of the RAM to textures than they can on the PS3. How much more depends on exactly how much RAM each system requires to run the non-graphics aspect of the game. Assuming that the game uses equal amounts of RAM on both systems the 360 would still have a little more RAM to work with thanks to a smaller OS footprint and the relocation of the backbuffer to EDRAM and unified memory would give it a big advantage in available memory bandwidth and latency.

Believe it or not, there are some things the 360 can do better than the PS3. Running this game may be one, regardless of the amount of effort they put into it.

As it is, I'm running the PC version and could show you a whole bunch of details that are cut out for both consoles. The fact that both console versions are running in reduced quality should indicate that they are doing what they can with what they have to work with. These consoles are old and seriously outdated.

You'll see more and more of this as developers are forced to basically make a high end PC game and then reduced quality ports for the consoles. They can't just dump the PC market because it's actually growing again, and they can't sell a PC game that's stuck with DX9 graphics anymore, so they'll make a PC game that has the high end features and then cut out everything they have to in order to make it work on consoles. Sometimes the resulting ports will favor the PS3, sometimes they'll favor the 360. It all depends on which hardware copies their PC design the best.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ^^ All bow down to the almighty PC blah blah blah lmao.

Soldier 95B
    I was getting it for the 360 anyway. Nice face off though

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Must get this

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Neither are that impressive. Kinda weird to see assets absent when they could have clearly been added.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    ^^ All bow down to the almighty PC blah blah blah lmao.
    It's just the nature of gaming. Get over it.

There are THREE major gaming platforms for multiplatform game developers to consider, not just two. One of those gaming platforms is much more advanced than the other two. Game developers have to consider what is required to sell games on all three platforms when they make their game, and developers have a higher standard to meet on the most advanced platform.

That's just the way it is.

I'm not saying the PC is always the best platform. I personally would prefer to play games on my consoles instead. However, right now there is a HUGE gap between what PCs can do and what consoles can do.

In the past, this gap would be closed by releasing new consoles. The original Playstation only went 6 years before the PS2 was launched, the PS2 went 6 years before the PS3 was launched, the Xbox 360 is in it's 6th year on the market, it's time for a new system.

As long as these consoles are dragged along you'll see more and more games being made for the PC first and then stripped down to what the consoles can do. It's just easier to take away things like shader scripts, textures, and level of detail than it is to try to add more shaders, textures, and level of detail to a game.

The major downside to that is if the game is a PC game first and then stripped down for the consoles, the two console versions will look unequal, showing more differences than if the game was designed around one of the consoles and ported to the other. They'll do what they can on each console independently since they'll have different people handling the port for each system.

Which means theres no justifiable reason to say that the developers didn't make an effort on a port to a specific console. Neither console is going to match the PC and the ports from PC were made seperately so they won't match each other. No amount of effort is going to change that.

A new console would.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    It's just the nature of gaming. Get over it.

There are THREE major gaming platforms for multiplatform game developers to consider, not just two. One of those gaming platforms is much more advanced than the other two. Game developers have to consider what is required to sell games on all three platforms when they make their game, and developers have a higher standard to meet on the most advanced platform.

That's just the way it is.

I'm not saying the PC is always the best platform. I personally would prefer to play games on my consoles instead. However, right now there is a HUGE gap between what PCs can do and what consoles can do.

In the past, this gap would be closed by releasing new consoles. The original Playstation only went 6 years before the PS2 was launched, the PS2 went 6 years before the PS3 was launched, the Xbox 360 is in it's 6th year on the market, it's time for a new system.

As long as these consoles are dragged along you'll see more and more games being made for the PC first and then stripped down to what the consoles can do. It's just easier to take away things like shader scripts, textures, and level of detail than it is to try to add more shaders, textures, and level of detail to a game.

The major downside to that is if the game is a PC game first and then stripped down for the consoles, the two console versions will look unequal, showing more differences than if the game was designed around one of the consoles and ported to the other. They'll do what they can on each console independently since they'll have different people handling the port for each system.

Which means theres no justifiable reason to say that the developers didn't make an effort on a port to a specific console. Neither console is going to match the PC and the ports from PC were made seperately so they won't match each other. No amount of effort is going to change that.

A new console would.
    I guess we just have differing views on what constitutes a great gaming experience, because I am totally delighted by what I play these days. Im playing Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, inFamous 2, Prototype, LBP 2 now and then, and then any other of my 50ish games when the mood takes me. I don't need amazing graphic and I dont need 64 player online. In the same way I harp on about Move and 3D, which to me are the sh*t but to many others don't mean jack, so it is with PC gaming. I'm not ignorant to the prowess of the PC, I don't deny it's power, nor do I deny that games have to be scaled back if they are ported to consoles, but I dont need this, in the same way Joe Smith doesn't need the bells and whistles I get excited about.

As I said in a post a few days ago, the ultimate console is that which fulfills your gaming desires and preferences. Sony, 360 and wii and PC all do different things and have different games,and what they do they do damn well, and these strengths draw in different kinds of gamer. A wii gamer doesn't need BF3 graphics to spend an entire day in front of the TV, and a PC gamer doesn't need Move/3D/blockbuster exclusives to spend all day in front of the PC, and the PS3 gamer doesn't need a sleek multiplayer environment to spend all day in front of the TV.

I understand your frustration at the aged nature of the consoles compared to the power of a high end PC, but we are all gamers, we all have the love of gaming in common and it is just really negative and unnecessary to come in on so many threads and go on about how the PC graphics **** all over what consoles are doing in terms of graphics etc. We have arguably one of the coolest communities here at PSU and as time goes by I come to appreciate this place and its regular members more and more, and as a result I am starting to understand that none of the consoles is truly superior to any other in much the same way that the beer of my choice is no better than the beer of your choice, because we all have different experiences and tastes. Why can't we sit and just enjoy our beer together instead of entering some futile debate about which is better?

I'm not going to play the fanboy any more, although admittedly I still fall back into old habbits now and then (haha), but as I read these boards more and more I find it a shame that we are so divided by something so trivial as system of choice, or which system has the most pixels. We should be brothers in gaming. I think back to the Kevin Butler speech of E3 2010. Back then I found it cheesy and funny when he talked about us all serving "the gaming king", but when I look at all the amazing games coming out on all systems, I find his words reflect 2011 alot more than they did the same time last year. PS3 gaming rocks, 360 gaming rocks, and PC gaming rocks, 3DS gaming rocks, PSP gaming rocks, PsVita gaming will rock, and we will all have access to amazing games...That is what is important imho.
    Last edited by Ghost; 06-23-2011 at 16:22.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I guess we just have differing views on what constitutes a great gaming experience, because I am totally delighted by what I play these days. Im playing Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, inFamous 2, Prototype, LBP 2 now and then, and then any other of my 50ish games when the mood takes me. I don't need amazing graphic and I dont need 64 player online. In the same way I harp on about Move and 3D, which to me are the sh*t but to many others don't mean jack, so it is with PC gaming. I'm not ignorant to the prowess of the PC, I don't deny it's power, nor do I deny that games have to be scaled back if they are ported to consoles, but I dont need this, in the same way Joe Smith doesn't need the bells and whistles I get excited about. As I said in a post a few days ago, the ultimate console is that which fulfills your gaming desires and preferences. Sony, 360 and wii and PC all do different things and have different games,and what they do they do damn well, and these strengths draw in different kinds of gamer. A wii gamer doesn't need BF3 graphics to spend an entire day in front of the TV, and a PC gamer doesn't need Move/3D/blockbuster exclusives to spend all day in front of the PC, and the PS3 gamer doesn't need a sleek multiplayer environment to spend all day in front of the TV.I understand your frustration at the aged nature of the consoles compared to the power of a high end PC, but we are all gamers, we all have the love of gaming in common and it is just really negative and unnecessary to come in on so many threads and go on about how the PC graphics **** all over what consoles are doing in terms of graphics etc. We have arguably one of the coolest communities here at PSU and as time goes by I come to appreciate this place and its regular members more and more, and as a result I am starting to understand that none of the consoles is truly superior to any other in much the same way that the beer of my choice is no better than the beer of your choice, because we all have different experiences and tastes. Why can't we sit and just enjoy our beer together instead of entering some futile debate about which is better? I'm not going to play the fanboy any more, although admittedly I still fall back into old habbits now and then (haha), but as I read these boards more and more I find it a shame that we are so divided by something so trivial as system of choice, or which system has the most pixels. We should be brothers in gaming. I think back to the Kevin Butler speech of E3 2010. Back then I found it cheesy and funny when he talked about us all serving "the gaming king", but when I look at all the amazing games coming out on all systems, I find his words reflect 2011 alot more than they did the same time last year. PS3 gaming rocks, 360 gaming rocks, and PC gaming rocks, 3DS gaming rocks, PSP gaming rocks, PsVita gaming will rock, and we will all have access to amazing games...That is what is important imho.
    I couldn't have said it any better. +rep

Soldier 95B
    I guess we just have differing views on what constitutes a great gaming experience, because I am totally delighted by what I play these days. Im playing Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, inFamous 2, Prototype, LBP 2 now and then, and then any other of my 50ish games when the mood takes me. I don't need amazing graphic and I dont need 64 player online. In the same way I harp on about Move and 3D, which to me are the sh*t but to many others don't mean jack, so it is with PC gaming. I'm not ignorant to the prowess of the PC, I don't deny it's power, nor do I deny that games have to be scaled back if they are ported to consoles, but I dont need this, in the same way Joe Smith doesn't need the bells and whistles I get excited about.

As I said in a post a few days ago, the ultimate console is that which fulfills your gaming desires and preferences. Sony, 360 and wii and PC all do different things and have different games,and what they do they do damn well, and these strengths draw in different kinds of gamer. A wii gamer doesn't need BF3 graphics to spend an entire day in front of the TV, and a PC gamer doesn't need Move/3D/blockbuster exclusives to spend all day in front of the PC, and the PS3 gamer doesn't need a sleek multiplayer environment to spend all day in front of the TV.

I understand your frustration at the aged nature of the consoles compared to the power of a high end PC, but we are all gamers, we all have the love of gaming in common and it is just really negative and unnecessary to come in on so many threads and go on about how the PC graphics **** all over what consoles are doing in terms of graphics etc. We have arguably one of the coolest communities here at PSU and as time goes by I come to appreciate this place and its regular members more and more, and as a result I am starting to understand that none of the consoles is truly superior to any other in much the same way that the beer of my choice is no better than the beer of your choice, because we all have different experiences and tastes. Why can't we sit and just enjoy our beer together instead of entering some futile debate about which is better?

I'm not going to play the fanboy any more, although admittedly I still fall back into old habbits now and then (haha), but as I read these boards more and more I find it a shame that we are so divided by something so trivial as system of choice, or which system has the most pixels. We should be brothers in gaming. I think back to the Kevin Butler speech of E3 2010. Back then I found it cheesy and funny when he talked about us all serving "the gaming king", but when I look at all the amazing games coming out on all systems, I find his words reflect 2011 alot more than they did the same time last year. PS3 gaming rocks, 360 gaming rocks, and PC gaming rocks, 3DS gaming rocks, PSP gaming rocks, PsVita gaming will rock, and we will all have access to amazing games...That is what is important imho.
    Didn't you know, you are not entitled to your own opinion or experience?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Didn't you know, you are not entitled to your own opinion or experience?
    Haha of course your not, anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking something wacky.

Elite Member

I guess we just have differing views on what constitutes a great gaming experience, because I am totally delighted by what I play these days. Im playing Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, inFamous 2, Prototype, LBP 2 now and then, and then.
    Yeah, we have different views.

I'm an unbiased multiplatform gamer. I look for the best gaming experience regardless of who makes the system.

You are clearly a fan of hardware, and just about everything you know about gaming revolves around a single specific hardware platform.

I'm looking for new and creative gaming experiences, you just want more of the same. That's cool, I know a few people who still think the ultimate video gaming experience can be found on the SNES. I'm not going to say they are wrong, but I will point out that if they were right you would be playing on an SNES right now.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Yeah, we have different views.

I'm an unbiased multiplatform gamer. I look for the best gaming experience regardless of who makes the system.

You are clearly a fan of hardware, and just about everything you know about gaming revolves around a single specific hardware platform.

I'm looking for new and creative gaming experiences, you just want more of the same. That's cool, I know a few people who still think the ultimate video gaming experience can be found on the SNES. I'm not going to say they are wrong, but I will point out that if they were right you would be playing on an SNES right now.
    I guess this is true to a degree. I own just the PS3, but have swapped with my 360 playing neighbor on MANY occasions for anywhere from a few days to 2 months (was the longest time). He has an decent library, he has most the staple exclusives (halos, gears, fables etc), cod games and fifa games. I have had fair fill of 360 gaming in this regard. I don't have much experience in PC gaming though other than my time in Guild Wars.

You say you are looking for creative and new gaming experiences? That constitutes graphics in your book? Creative and new isn't found in 1080p 60fps with BF3 graphics in my opinion. It is found in the vision and execution of the game. Also your assumption that I am looking for more of the same isn't true. On Monday I will be getting my 3D TV, and after trialing some games down at the stores demo quarter, I was THOROUGHLY impressed. I am also trying my hand at as many of thePS3 motion control games as I can. These are the things that I find creative and new, additionally to the variety and creativeness of new games.

If the reported price drops come to the 360 this year and we see some nice kinect bundles I may just take the plunge, despite my previous issue with lack of 1st party support. I just haven't found it financially feasible till now because I also have other hobbies that eat my income aside from my gaming, and had resolved I would keep and concentrate my resources on a solo console until more games and lower prices hit 360.

PC gaming is something I have little interest in though to be honest. It has no games of interest tome that I cant find on console, and I don't require amazing graphics in my pursuit of the creative and the new.
    Last edited by Ghost; 06-24-2011 at 13:53.

Thread Information