Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru

3G isn't attracting customers.

Thought it would be the 3g would be selling better than it is. I know, its not out yet, and I know amazon isn't the end all, but

As of Now,
    PSV(Wifi): Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #89 in Video Games
    PSV (3G/Wifi): Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #354 in Video Games

Huge disparity. Probably has to deal with pricepoint. With the imminent ps3 price drop, I feel that consumers aren't going to shell out huge cash for a $300 handheld when they got an i/pod/pad, and 3ds to compete with. Not to mention consoles. Plus the att thing. That's probably the number one reason, and we yet to see the potential of 3g and features that would want to make people tap in extra for a 3g. 80 percent of where I go has a wifi hotspot, most of the time free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    I'm not surprised. 3G in the UK at least isn't great unless you live in a big city and even then is probably not worth the extra /$ imo.

Forum Guru
    In two years or now, we know its going to morphed into one SKU, but for now, no one wants a 3g Lol.

I normally go for the premium sku's but 3g is the only difference and imo, a difference that doesn't even matter to me Or to many consumers.

So what if you are already on att's 3g mobile plan? Is it free or do they charge you extra for the psv? if it's the latter, that would suck.
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    3G is much better than WiFi.

With 3G you can go anywhere and play online.... IMHO that's a massive advantage.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Globally 3G isn't so great. Clearly not worth the extra price point for alot of people and the extra cost of a 3G subscription? No thankyou.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPSN View Post

With 3G you can go anywhere and play online.... IMHO that's a massive advantage.
    If you live in a big city, chances are there are free wifispots to your advantage..or someone's that is dumb enough not to secure their own network

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

This. To me it makes no sense for me to invest in a PsVita without 3G. You are putting your online connectivity at a huge restriction. Clearly form those pre order stats it doesn't matter to most, this is just my personal opinion. I would rather have it and not want/need it than want/need it and not have it. If I bought the wifi version and 1 month later decided that i wanted to play on the go then I am screwed. I will pay the extra and have all bases covered with my connectivity.

Ultimate Veteran
    But your not screwed, vita will have some of the most rich single player games ever seen on a handheld. So what if your not linked into the PSN at that moment, your not really missing much when your away from the PSN.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    But your not screwed, vita will have some of the most rich single player games ever seen on a handheld. So what if your not linked into the PSN at that moment, your not really missing much when your away from the PSN.
    And if I want to play wipeout with my friends while im sitting under a tree in the park? Ooops. Better get my *** back to nearest McDs or starbucks...

Orrrr just shell out extra and have no restrictions. This is just my mentality on it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Heres my thing on this, living in the US, having only ATT being the provider is a HUGE disadvantage especially if theres going to be a monthly fee along with the 3G model. Most of the time im playing my Vita it will be while im watching my beloved New York Mets lose, and i have wifi in my house, plus its free wherever i go that has Optimum coverage. I have no interest in dealing with ATT, or any monthly fee that might be attatched to it, especially not for another 50 bucks. that money will be put towards an extra game at launch.

Tacos Rule!

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    And if I want to play wipeout with my friends while im sitting under a tree in the park? Ooops. Better get my *** back to nearest McDs or starbucks...
    One could use phone as wifi hotspot, so it's possible to dance around that limitation quite nicely.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    One could use phone as wifi hotspot, so it's possible to dance around that limitation quite nicely.
    Wow, I haven't made the move to smartphones yet so I didn't know that was possible...*surprised*

Ultimate Veteran

Orrrr just shell out extra and have no restrictions. This is just my mentality on it.
    Local ad-hoc? I don't see the problem here. Go for it if you like tho.

Forum Guru

realistically, how often do you go to a park to hang out with your friends and play psp?

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    in other the 3g model is useless to tech heads lol.
    Last edited by floetry; 06-25-2011 at 14:44.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by floetry View Post
    realistically, how often do you go to a park to hang out with your friends and play psp?
    I meant online friends lol....

And I wasn't aware of the the ability of smartphones to become hotspots...and interesting development As I will get a smartphone soon too I will do some research.

Forum Guru
    I meant online friends lol....

And I wasn't aware of the the ability of smartphones to become hotspots...and interesting development As I will get a smartphone soon too I will do some research.
    Ohh ok, Well smartphones are expensive, so I don't have one lol. Rather save up for a vita, but the plans are really cheap. You can get a smartphone data plan for 25 USD a month, 300mins, unlimited web and text.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    If I remember correctly, one of the Sony guys at E3 (in an interview with gamespot) said that the 3G won't really be enough to play online. It's more of a 'stay connected' to psn kinda thing. So you're always able to interact with your psnfriends, access the browser and whatnot. I think he made it pretty clear that games won't be able to run over the 3G network for competitive multiplayer.

I'm not surprised at what the OP shows, I think especially here in the UK we wanna know more about how it's all going to work, the 3g provider and whatnot.

Having said that, I've had a smartphone with 3g coverage for years and it really is ****e, even for web-browsing, and I live just on the outskirts of London. I have Wifi wherever I'd think of being on my Vita: at home, friends or at uni, so I know which one I'm getting

Forum Sage

Actually the 3G isn't for gaming. It's for Internet connection and sending/receiving PSN messages. They've stated this already. Besides, the connection you'd get gaming over 3G would be horrible. I'll do a speedster on my phone now as im connected to 3G and upload the screenshot.

Personally I think it's pointless getting a 3G model - there no way I'm getting a separate contract for my vita when I've got a perfectly good one on my phone, what I can create a wireless hotspot with.

Would you really want to game over a 250+ ping? I doubt it. The 3G isn't worth the asking price, imo.

BBK Is Tapatalking

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Wi fi is everywhere in cities and towns UK is covered by hotspots.
    http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

Forum Sage
    Exactly, it's quite rare for me to be somewhere without a wifi hotspot anymore.
    Even my local burger place has wifi!!

BBK Is Tapatalking

Forum Guru
    I stole wifi off someone who decided to use their phone as a hotspot. It was actually faster than my home internet and local school wifi lol.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Exactly, it's quite rare for me to be somewhere without a wifi hotspot anymore.
    Even my local burger place has wifi!!

BBK Is Tapatalking
    Vienna is probably also well connected, but i will review this and my choice of 3G. But really, I have spent so much money on gaming, €50 is very menial lol

Forum Guru
    Vienna is probably also well connected, but i will review this and my choice of 3G. But really, I have spent so much money on gaming, €50 is very menial lol
    Per month? its very expensive.

thats 600 dollar per year for a slow mobile connection
    Last edited by floetry; 06-25-2011 at 16:32.

Forum Sage
    Will be looking forward to it. I just can't fathom why someone would spend more money and get the inevitable contact that comes with it just to be able to receive messages from the PSN. it's not for online play. You said your getting a smart phone, get that with an unlimited 3G data plan and use your phone for hotspots. Much more practical. For me atleast.

BBK Is Tapatalking

Forum Elder
    Items DiceGoogle ChromeNaughty DogBattlefield 3PlayStationPS3 Slim
    damn data plan for me thats y im not getting 1

Thread Information