1. No Spam – Spam found within the contents of a members post or signature is forbidden. Spam includes self-promotion, blatantly off-topic nonsense, advertising for another website and can also include multiple similar topics posted in quick succession to maximize a member’s attention on the spam subject. Depending on the severity of the offense, a member will either receive a private message from a staff member, receive an official warning or infraction and may receive a ban from the forums altogether.
2. No material unfit for minors – PSU.com and its associated forum are a family friendly area. Posting erotic messages, pornography, offensive images, $#@!phobic statements and linking to pornographic or violent websites and/or videos is forbidden. This rule applies for the main body of a post, a users signature and a users avatar. Staff members will use their discretion when deciding the appropriate punishment.
3. No Flaming – Flaming is attacking a member or group for their views (on religion, sexuality, console purchase decisions, points of view or apparent lack of knowledge) while showing disregard for their feelings. PSU promotes healthy debate and will not tolerate members flaming each other. Staff members will take the appropriate action to safeguard healthy debate.
4. No Trolling – Trolling is defined as posting something off-topic or offensive deliberately in order to aggravate other members, with the view to causing an argument. Members that reply (Fall for the bait) to the troll post will be dealt with in the same way as the troll. You can post news/comments but it must be supported and presented impartially without bias to a particular company. Any one posting without linking to a supporting article, in a trolling manner will be assumed to be posting with the intention of damaging this forum community and/or causing ill will in the community and will be perma-banned outright.
5. No hacking/Mod discussion - All information regarding hacking/modding the PlayStation 3 will go into one stickied thread in the PS3 Discussion sub-forum. All information regarding hacking/modding the PlayStation Portable (and any of its subsequent successors) will go into one stickied thread in the PS1, PS2 & PSP Discussion sub-forum. In these threads, no links to forums or news sites discussing how the hack/mod can be achieved will be tolerated. In addition, links to websites selling hardware pre-hacked/modded, or offering to sell equipment that can be used to hack/mod the PS3 and PSP are banned. Members are forbidden to post information or instructions that would enable another user to hack/mod their PlayStation 3. Similarly these rules will be upheld for hacking/modding the Wii, DS and the Xbox 360 for those respective systems. A stickied thread will be created in the appropriate sub-forum if members wish to discuss these matters. Linking to or naming websites that provide ISO's, ROM's or their related software is also not allowed.
6. No Spoilers – PSU will take the appropriate disciplinary action when members post spoilers regarding game plots or Easter eggs without putting the information in spoiler tags. Spoilers can be in text, picture or video form. Generally two months should pass from a games release before members discuss these plot points/Easter eggs in the open forums without the use of spoiler tags.
7. Signature/Avatars – Signatures/Avatars should comply with the rules below. Signatures/Avatars should not contain material inappropriate for minors or advertising.
8. No "1337-speak" – This is utter nonsense and will not be tolerated.
9. No insubordination - The staff are simply upholding the rules for the benefit of the community. Disregarding their warnings/advice is considered insubordination and offenders will be disciplined accordingly.
10. No Mod/Admin Begging - Staff are picked because of merit. Begging to become a staff member or attempting to bribe a staff member into 'putting in a good word' on a members behalf will not be tolerated. If a member is deemed mature enough they will be promoted if a vacancy arises.
11. No ban contesting - If the staff have decided a member is banned, that decision is final. Creating an additional account to contest the ban is not permitted and that account will also be banned. Likewise contesting a ban via e-mail is not permitted. Repeated attempts to bypass a ban can result in a permanent IP ban from PSU
12. No Infraction/Warning Contesting - Members are free to ask staff members via private message for the reasons why they received disciplinary action. If members persist to hassle staff members after they have received their explanation and informed that the decision will not be overturned, they will be receive further punishments.
13. No E-Mail Abuse - Using another members e-mail to send them insulting or harassing messages is forbidden. Using these e-mails to sign them up for spam e-mails is likewise a punishable offense. Members will be banned and their ISP's will be contacted. Members are asked to remain vigilant and not to post their personal e-mail addresses without giving the appropriate consideration as to how they may be abused.
14. No Advertising Other Sites - This will be dealt with strictly. Posting links to a website with the aim of increasing its traffic is an infractable offense. Linking to personal websites that will make monetary gains from the clicks are also banned.
15. Don't abuse the smilies - This will be dealt with using staff discretion. Members using far too many smilies in one post or over a series of posts will be given an appropriate punishment.
16. Text must be in Black font color and Size 2 - The majority of a members post should be in black colored font and size 2. This makes posts easier to read for members. Alternative colors can be used to draw attention to other areas of a post (e.g. sub-titles).
17. Do not Impersonate Mods/Admin - Includes acting like a Mod and/or pretending to be a mod –e.g. sending PM's to members saying they will be banned or promoting new forum policy without Admin/Staff consent. Pretending to be acting on behalf of the staff is also an offense that will receive corrective action.
18. No Fanboy Terminology - Fanboy terminology such as Xbot, M$, SDF, Sony Droid etc is forbidden and will be dealt with by the staff via warnings, infractions and bans.
19. No Rep or Skill Point Begging - Begging members via private message, visitor message or in the open forms for skill points or reputation points is forbidden. In addition to the usual disciplinary actions, staff members may remove the offending users skill points or reputation points.
20. No Thread Derailment - Members making a post to deliberately to take a thread off topic will receive corrective action. This can also include flaming (see rule 3) or trolling (see rule 4).
21. No Excessive Thread Making - A maximum of 5 threads per hour in each section is allowed, any more will be treated as spam and deleted with the appropriate disciplinary action taken. Staff will use their discretion if a member goes over the limit, yet is seen to be being a productive 'news' posting member.
22. Special Note Regarding abuse of Religious and political topics - Religious topics are discourage, however we know from time to time members will engage in a meaningful discussion. Any member trolling, flaming or being outright disrespectful in a political or religious topic will be infracted without warning. In addition, the amount of infraction points issued for any unacceptable behavior in these threads is higher than it is elsewhere in the forum. This is a result of members behaving poorly in these topics on previous occasions. PSU promotes intelligent discussion and the staff will clamp down very heavily on any member abusing their posting privileges in these topics.
23. No Abusing the Report Button - Reports should be made without messages like "Mods do your job", "give this guy an infraction", "ban him already" etc. Reports should contain a sentence on why you have reported the post including what rule you believe it has broken. Additionally, posting too many reports in a short period of time where there is no discernible related rule breaking activity will see the reporter punished.
24. No Insulting Harassing Other Members - Directly targeting other forum members for abuse or harassment is strictly forbidden, regardless of what you think of a person or their views. Rule breakers will be dealt with.
25. The Xbox 360 Sales thread - All news articles or rumors regarding the sales figures of the Xbox 360 and its related accessories must go into one stickied thread, found in the Xbox 360 Sub-section. In previous years members from all sides of the console war have behaved inappropriately in sales threads in this section. The staff will not tolerate trolling or flaming in these threads. Its possible to discuss the numbers without taking it personally.
26. No racist or $#@!phobic remarks - PSU is an accepting place but making openly racist of $#@!phobic comments is not acceptable. The staff would advise members to keep these views to themselves instead of posting them in the forums. These remarks do not have to be targeted at a specific member of the PSU community to be taken as an infractable offence.
27. Duplicate Accounts - You may not register an account for purposes of deceptive behavior or register more than one account in this forum. If it becomes known that you have more than one account, it will be assumed that you have done so for less than savory reasons. There is no need to have more than one account. Should you have problems logging in, send an email, as a guest, to an Administrator, by clicking on the user name, with details of your problem.
Signatures and Image Policies
User-created signature sizes
- Normal members - 500x160 @125kb
- Staff (including Design Squad members) - 560x200 @250kb
- Subscribers / Pink Subs - 520x180 @250kb
- PSU Editors - 560x200 @250kb
This falls into the category of sig + user bar, sig + text, and sig + spoiler tag.
User bars are freebies, meaning they don't count towards your member category limit. Members using automated gamer cards that exceed their member category signature size may still use ONE userbar.
User bars are limited to the respective width of your member category. The height requirement is listed below.
- Normal members - 500 x 20
- Staff (including Design Squad members) - 550 x 25
- Subscribers - 550 x 30
Only ONE user bar is to be used by any member that uses a standard signature size. The file size limit is 20KB.
The lone exception is for members of the Design Squad. DS members may have up to two bars, not exceeding the size limitations.
Users without any standard signature or automated gamercard may use up to four user bars that when combined do not exceed 500 x 160 or 560 x 200 for normal and staff/subs members respectively.
If a user wishes to use text instead of a user bar, two lines of acceptable sized font may be used in substitution for a the user bar. The accepted sizes are Size 1 and Size 2, selectable in the signature editor.
AV sizes and limitation HAVE changed as of 6/27/13.
All members are required to maintain 160 x 160 @ 125KB or less
Subscribers, PSU Staff, PSU Forum Staff and DS members may utilize, if they so choose, 240 x 240 @ 125KB or less
The use of custom gamercards or trophy cards are allowed, but are restricted to the total signature sizes allowed by your member group. Trophy cards that are generated by automated services, such as mygamercard.net, ps3trophy.com, official Sony generators, and Playfire, do not have a file size or dimension restriction. Overly obtrusive cards will be removed at the discretion of the staff.
The use of spoiler tags is allowed, and can be used to contain information, gamercard, etc., that would otherwise render a signature against the rules.
Do not use multiple line breaks before or after the spoiler tags
When using the spoiler tags, make sure the content is limited to small text areas, another correctly sized signature, gamercard, etc. The contents of spoiler tags will be determined to be within, or against, the rules on an individual basis. All forum rules apply to content placed within the spoiler tags.
- Signature's may not contain advertisements as defined by the forum rules.
- All existing forum rules regarding cursing, flaming, fanboy terminology, etc. apply to avatars and signatures.
- Hyperlinks used in signatures cannot go to offensive content or content that would not be suitable for all ages.
- Hyperlinks must describe accurately what they are linking too, they cannot be misleading.
All decisions regarding signatures made by Administrators or Moderators are final.
The Forum Staff reserve the right to remove any signature or avatar without the user's notice.
Should said user continue to break the avatar and signature rules, we reserve the right to remove these privileges from the user, or possibly a ban (temporary or permanent), depending on how serious the situation is.
Language - As a community focusing not just on the PlayStation 3 console, but on all aspects of gaming, we would appreciate thoughtfulness from our users. Please use complete and grammatically correct sentences, and refrain from using internet abbreviations as much as possible (this includes colloquialisms such as "dat iz kool"). This is beneficial not only to have a healthy and intelligent forum community, but also to develop one's writing comprehension skills, a tool useful for later in life that is best when practiced to the point of natural ability.
Respect Your Elders - Though they're often looked at with contempt due to their authority, SMC, Mods and Admins are here to help you, and they work very hard for the benefit of the users. Though free thinking is encouraged on the forum, do try to understand the decisions of Mods and Admins as their view of the best way to benefit everyone in the Community. Show respect and appreciation for them; they deserve it.
PSU expect members to show good posting habits when posting a new thread. Members quoting part of an article and posting a link to its source post are expected to include a few sentences of their own thoughts on the matter. PSU also insists that all scans of gaming or other appropriate magazines must be linked to, instead of posting the images of the scans into any thread
By signing up at this forum, you agree to abide by the above Rules and Policies, and fully understand the consequences for disobeying them. Signing up for this forum signs you into a binding legal document in which you agree to abide by these Rules and Policies for the good of the community as a whole. You also acknowledge that Rules and Policies can and frequently will be changed or added to fit the changing times, and you are expected to abide by those as well.
The staff reserve the right to remove, edit or move posts at any time without giving a reason. Staff also reserve the right to produce custom infractions when a member behaves very inappropriately. You understand that a message board is not a democracy, as the majority does not determine the correct course of action (however action regarding important issue is often taken after user consultation).
If all of this is correct and you have read the Rules and Policies above, welcome to the community. Have fun on the forums, but do it responsibly. Everyone will be safer and happier. Thank you.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Forum Rules and Policies - Updated 6-27-13
Last edited by Cuguy; 06-27-2013 at 16:21.LMAO
Removed rule concerning bypassing the swear filter
Removed rule concerning shop icons, since we do not have that system in place
Added rule about duplicate accounts (not during bypassing a ban)LMAO
New rule now In effect (thead title updated)
We have a growing problem at PSU. Harassment in the form of publicly calling out of people for their "agenda" or "fanboysih traits". Threads with perfectly debatable topics are having to be closed, or abandoned because a small group of people cannot leave their personal attacks aside. All too often we are seeing comments like "[SITE] must be sending their people over" whenever a negatively toned article is posted, doesn't matter the console. People are going to have to suck it up that some negative things happen with consoles. If you disagree with the article, present your counter opinion, but don't call the person making the thread into a villain. Discuss the topic, not the member.
Some examples (read the threads to see the posts):
Example 1 - there are quite a few posts, including the opening one, that use the term "a group of people" or "certain members" Why? Can't the topic just be discussed without making it personal?
Example 2 - Member posts an opinion based article on a "what if" or "alternate concept" view of Sony's practice, and is met with "not surprising who posted" or "didn't you get the memo? it's cool to hate Sony" sort of comments. What does this:sounds like Teamxbox has sent the orders out and the devout are starting their next chant.
Example 3 - Early on, the article is trashed rather than discussed and 16 posts in and we have our calling out again of TeamXbox, again, implying the poster is a 360 fanboy posting the article. A few more posts later and we have another mention of a "camp" of people who are just hating on Sony rather than discussing the article. So in the first page of posts, we have less than 20% of them actually discussing the topic. Most are just insulting, or dismissing the article with no real counterpoints.
These are just three examples. From ONE of these threads, we garnered nearly 10 reports and over 16 PM"s to staff concerning people derailing threads with this personal attack crap. It is going to stop.
We want you to report people, not troll them back. Trolling back is often times more destructive than actually posting a thread to troll. Infractions get handed out, animosity amongst members increases and overall the thread turns to crap. As staff, we rely heavily on people reporting in order to act on things. We don't always go through each and every thread in a given day.
Unhappy members here always complain of the same thing... trolls. As a result, we are going to be upping the troll penalties on infraction points and amending the rule to include sweeping comments that imply a member is a fanboy, has an agenda, is posting on behalf of a known fanboy site, etc... If you can't discuss a topic without going after the poster, then you can expect an infraction.
We will be finalizing the new penalties in the staff area over the next couple of days, but the rule gets enforced now.LMAO
To all concerned...
these examples were picked because they were some higher end of the spectrum examples of the behavior we are talking about.
it doesn't matter if they are pro-ps3, or pro-360 threads, the point is the TYPE of post is what is being banned. Site wide, doesn't matter whom.
All trolling posts will be subject to this.LMAO
This will not be a new rule, but rather in addition to the current trolling rule just for clarification.LMAO
The new trolling/flaming policy is now in effect. We are upping the point value for a trolling infraction from 3 points, to 10 points. For those keeping score, that means a one week ban goes into effect on the first infraction. 2nd infraction is a 3 month ban, and the 3rd is a perma ban.
There are no warnings, no PM's, nothing prior to the infraction. If you get reported for trolling, and are found to be doing so, you will get an infraction
Reason is simple. If you troll, you know why you get an infraction. It isn't a mystery, people troll on purpose.
This applies also to the "calling people out" portion of trolling. We are working on new wording to make the trolling rule encompass this, but from here on out, if you call someone out for being a fanboy, posting on behalf of a known fanboy site, troll, having an "agenda" etc.. you will get the same punishment as a troll. Also, this applies to flaming/bait as well, since essentially it is identical to trolling.
Now, with the new rule points and such we need to make this clear. There will be a staff decision when handing out troll infractions so that no one person can just infract at will. There will be discussion in all instances, even clear cut cases, no one staff member can make a decision on this.
The bans accrued are automatic and immediate. Infraction points do not expire. This is to prove as a deterrent, to make the forums a more hospitable place for discussion.
Remember... report those who you think are trolling. Let the staff do the dirty work. If you respond to a troll, you expose yourself to an infraction as well.
Last edited by Cuguy; 08-15-2011 at 19:18.LMAO
OK.. after realizing that we haven't been truly enforcing the no religious topics thread, and even to a lesser degree political topics, I reworded the rule. Discussions on these subjects truly have maintained dignity over the last year or so, so time for a rule amendment.
keep in mind, these are hotbed topics and people abusing the situation will be dealt with strictly and swiftlyLMAO
Changes as of today
User Avatar, Profile pics and Sig limitations have all been increased, or modified to allow better resolution sigs and larger file sizes.LMAO
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)