Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Messi
    Zidane
    Best
    Fat Ronaldo
    Schmeichel

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    It's ok, but it's probably not his highlight moment and certainly not something better than what Zidane did or any other top player for that matter.
    Fair enough each to their own, i just dont see why zidanes volley is seen as the height of technical achievement in football. Even in his own era i think players like bergkamp where just as good technically yet zidane is considered by some to be one of the best ever, i just dont get the hype

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Duff-MaN_ View Post
    Fair enough each to their own, i just dont see why zidanes volley is seen as the height of technical achievement in football. Even in his own era i think players like bergkamp where just as good technically yet zidane is considered by some to be one of the best ever, i just dont get the hype
    One thing doesn't make Zidane great, it's what he has done and achieved. Bergkamp was good as well, i agree, but he still achieved less.

This is one reason i can't include Messi. He's good, but he is still young.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    One thing doesn't make Zidane great, it's what he has done and achieved. Bergkamp was good as well, i agree, but he still achieved less.

This is one reason i can't include Messi. He's good, but he is still young.
    Do you think Zidane has achieved more than Messi? Even at 23 I know many that would argue that Messi has surpassed Zidane in terms of personal and team achievements.

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    I think people forget how good Zidane was at carry his team because people are probably looking at only stats. Watch a few season review of Real Madrid or the 2006 World Cup even when he was about to retire to see his influence on a team.

If you only look at stats sure... but if you watch the games it's quite a different story.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Do you think Zidane has achieved more than Messi? Even at 23 I know many that would argue that Messi has surpassed Zidane in terms of personal and team achievements.
    He has achieved more, but Messi still has a long career ahead of him. I think Messi is in a better position as well in this current climate in football.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    Five best are Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Messi, Garrincha.

Team would be a 4-4-2. From right to left:
    Goal keeper: Yashin
    Defense: Carlos Alberto Torres, Baresi, Maldini, Nilton Santos
    Midfield: Garrincha, Beckembauer (in my team he's a midfielder), Pele, Messi
    Attack: Puskas, Maradona

Superior Member
    He has achieved more, but Messi still has a long career ahead of him. I think Messi is in a better position as well in this current climate in football.
    Good point, also as much as i admire Messi's pace and insane close dribbling etc I do miss players like Zidane and Bergkamp who could just humiliate players with pure mastery of the football

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Well I put my top players already, but the dream team would be Juventus from a couple years back, before the scandals. I mean c'mon; the best goalkeeper in the world Buffon, the most undefeatable defence consisting of Thuram, Cannavaro etc, a damn tight midfield consisting of players like Nedved, and then the attacking players like the legendary Del Piero, Trezeguet and Imbrahimovic. That team was $#@!ing gold!

Learn to do signatures here

Power Member
    Is that a serious question?

Zidane won the World Cup and European Champs back to back. In the space of 5 years he won EVERYTHING he played in. La Liga, WC, European Champs, World Player of the year 3 times in 5 years, Balloon D'or. He was the main point for that dominating French side and despite the quality in that Madrid team they relied on ZZ a heck of a lot.

That Volley against Levekusen IS a mastery in technical ability. Hitting a falling ball, side on, with your wrong foot and putting it into the top corner? There isn't really anything more difficult.

For me, Zidane is up there with Pele and Maradona. There is a HUGE gap before I consider Messi. He needs to win something, do something, carry his National team before I consider him even close to those 3.

Yes Messi is still young and his ability to glide past players is fantastic, but until he produces it regularly for Argentina, he can't touch those other 3.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Franco Baresi
    Pele
    Zidane
    Rui Costa
    Battistuta

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    Franco Baresi
    Pele
    Zidane
    Rui Costa
    Battistuta
    Oohhh, nice had completely forgotten about him. 56 goals in 78 appearances for Argentina is bloody amazing.

Remember him being nigh on unstopptable at Fiorentina.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Oohhh, nice had completely forgotten about him. 56 goals in 78 appearances for Argentina is bloody amazing.

Remember him being nigh on unstopptable at Fiorentina.
    Yeah my list was based on the people I most enjoyed watching. I remember when Italian football wasn't the laughing stock of Europe (90's) and always watching Gazetta Football Italia on Channel 4 round my Dads (Juve supporter /spit). Guarantee every week he was popping up. That fiorentina team was a force!

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima.
    Robbie Fowler.
    Zidane.
    Zico.
    Johan Cruyff.

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Giggs - the man can dribble
    Seaman - handled more balls than apronstar fluffer

Dedicated Member
    I have a problem with you guys putting players like Maradona and Pele and Beckenbauer on your lists. Were you guys even born yet when they were playing? I'm not putting those legends on my list because I wasn't fortunate enough of getting the opportunity too see them play. It doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by Sleepy; 07-13-2011 at 22:07.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    Yeah my list was based on the people I most enjoyed watching. I remember when Italian football wasn't the laughing stock of Europe (90's) and always watching Gazetta Football Italia on Channel 4 round my Dads (Juve supporter /spit). Guarantee every week he was popping up. That fiorentina team was a force!
    Yep I would have to say fair enough inclusion. We used to get a fair amount of Serie A in the late 90s early 00s but not so much anymore.

He was fantastic to watch in his pump. 269 goals in 450 odd games? Amazing record.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boy From School View Post
    I have a problem with you guys putting players like Maradona and Pele and Beckenbauer on your lists. Were you guys even born yet when they were playing. I'm not putting those legends on my list because I wasn't fortunate enough of getting the opportunity too see them play. It doesn't seem right.
    You don't have to of seen someone live, or ben ALIVE to appreciate the skill and ability of someone. You can learn enough about a player through the media, by that I mean interviews, highlights and with replays of matches. Search hard enough and you can find replays of dam near every Maradona and Pele match. HEck just watch the Brazil 1970 team and you can pick Pele based on that. 1986 World CUp and you have a fair indication of what Maradona was capable of.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    MAradona was a cheating druggy though.

Superior Member

Zidane won the World Cup and European Champs back to back. In the space of 5 years he won EVERYTHING he played in. La Liga, WC, European Champs, World Player of the year 3 times in 5 years, Balloon D'or. He was the main point for that dominating French side and despite the quality in that Madrid team they relied on ZZ a heck of a lot.

That Volley against Levekusen IS a mastery in technical ability. Hitting a falling ball, side on, with your wrong foot and putting it into the top corner? There isn't really anything more difficult.

For me, Zidane is up there with Pele and Maradona. There is a HUGE gap before I consider Messi. He needs to win something, do something, carry his National team before I consider him even close to those 3.

Yes Messi is still young and his ability to glide past players is fantastic, but until he produces it regularly for Argentina, he can't touch those other 3.
    World player of the year 3 times in a row, top scorer in champs league. That volley against levekuzen was spectacular and he was an incredible player but messi is better. Also why are pele and maradonna the established top two? Are best and garrincha not as good?

Power Member
    World player of the year 3 times in a row, top scorer in champs league. That volley against levekuzen was spectacular and he was an incredible player but messi is better. Also why are pele and maradonna the established top two? Are best and garrincha not as good?
    Mine wasn't in a particular order. I would probably include Best in the top top echelon of players.

Sorry but Messi isn't close to what Zidane has achieved. Remove Messi from that Barca team and it probably still walks La Liga and the CL, remove Zidane from Madrid and it doesn't win either.

Messi hasn't done ANYTHING, ANYTHING at International Level. If what Messi has achieved for Barca is enough to consider him up with the absolute bestn then Gerrard is up there too. Even ahead given he has single handidly won everything for Liverpool bar the League.

Sorry but I don't think cleaning up with your club team that is full or World Cup winners is sufficient for 'one of all time great' status when you've done naff all at International level, in what is a pretty impressive National team. In fact, based on the Copa America Kun is more important to Argentina.

Superior Member
    Mine wasn't in a particular order. I would probably include Best in the top top echelon of players.

Sorry but Messi isn't close to what Zidane has achieved. Remove Messi from that Barca team and it probably still walks La Liga and the CL, remove Zidane from Madrid and it doesn't win either.

Messi hasn't done ANYTHING, ANYTHING at International Level. If what Messi has achieved for Barca is enough to consider him up with the absolute bestn then Gerrard is up there too. Even ahead given he has single handidly won everything for Liverpool bar the League.

Sorry but I don't think cleaning up with your club team that is full or World Cup winners is sufficient for 'one of all time great' status when you've done naff all at International level, in what is a pretty impressive National team. In fact, based on the Copa America Kun is more important to Argentina.
    Im not trying to say messi has more medals than zidane, im saying that he is a better player than zidane.

Argentina don't need to win the world cup for messi to be great.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style

This man gets it.

Messi is the best player in the world right now,and by a mile. But he isnt an all time great.
    Not until he produces it on the world stage.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T0PGUN View Post
    This man gets it.

Messi is the best player in the world right now,and by a mile. But he isnt an all time great.
    Not until he produces it on the world stage.
    I have to disagree, for one Messi isn't the best in the world by a mile. Xavi is either as good or very close. He is an all time great though (as is xavi), his champions league record proves this, is the champions league not a world stage? Messi deserves all the plaudits he gets.

Elite Member
    Come on guys. Messi isn't in the top 5 yet. Playing at a club that is full of stars, play him at International level, he goes missing.

Anyway, all subjective I guess.

Top 5.

1. Pele
    2. Zidane
    3. Maradona
    4. Cruyff
    5. Best
    (6) Dalglish

An all star team is friggin hard.

So am just going to go based on the last 20 years.

----------------------Buffon-------------------
    Cannavaro------------Stam---------------A.Cole
    Figo--------Zidane----------Cantona-----Nedved
    --------------------Bergkamp-------------------
    --------------Henry----------Del Piero----------

Was a toss up between Del Piero and Shevchenko (AC Milan days)

Little short on defence I know, but I am of the opinion that if you have possession players who hold the ball, defending wont be an issue
    Based on the last 20 years I would have Roberto Carlos well ahead of Ashely Cole, swap Cantona for Redondo... everything else is solid
    A man can dream though. A man can dream...

Thread Information