Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    @OP Pele isn't on your list.. I don't know much about soccer.. But I do know one thing not having Pele on your G.O.A.T list is like not having michael jordan on your G.O.A.T basketball player list..

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Luv_2_Game View Post
    @OP Pele isn't on your list.. I don't know much about soccer.. But I do know one thing not having Pele on your G.O.A.T list is like not having michael jordan on your G.O.A.T basketball player list..
    Pele was a fantastic player, however in that Brazil team I believe there was a better player called Garrincha. Thats not to say I would disagree with anyone including Pele if thats there choice its just in my opinion there have been better players.

Also my only experience of Michael Jordan was watching space jam so i cant really comment too much about that.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    MAradona was a cheating druggy though.
    Still bitter, eh

Learn to do signatures here

Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duff-MaN_ View Post
    I have to disagree, for one Messi isn't the best in the world by a mile. Xavi is either as good or very close. He is an all time great though (as is xavi), his champions league record proves this, is the champions league not a world stage? Messi deserves all the plaudits he gets.
    Yes the Champions League is a world stage, but it's also an absolute joke of a competition. You only need to look at this years QF and SF. Last seasons United team was probably their weakest for 10-15 years. Yet it thumped a team that destroyed last years winners and made the final.

Master Poster
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioPlayStationManchester UnitedGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Yes the Champions League is a world stage, but it's also an absolute joke of a competition. You only need to look at this years QF and SF. Last seasons United team was probably their weakest for 10-15 years. Yet it thumped a team that destroyed last years winners and made the final.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Actually it's not a world stage, it's a European stage . And Kiwi not too sure we want to be calling it a joke when we flaunt 5 times lol.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I obviously know Europe is pretty much the world in football.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Actually it's not a world stage, it's a European stage . And Kiwi not too sure we want to be calling it a joke when we flaunt 5 times lol.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I obviously know Europe is pretty much the world in football.
    Been a joke since about 2001.

IMO, they need to go back to the original format. League CHAMPIONS only. At most 2nd place as well.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Won't happen. The longer the competition, the more advertising money, the more revenue, etc. UEFA too greedy.

Power Member
    Won't happen. The longer the competition, the more advertising money, the more revenue, etc. UEFA too greedy.
    Yeah I know. Sad really. As it's taken away some the excitement of it when you can guarantee your big teams are ALWAYS going to get through.

Superior Member

I knew someone would say that the world cup final to be fair only featured european players whereas the champions league final had players from europe, south america and asia.

Dedicated Member

Champions League is more important than the World Cup nowadays. I couldn't care less about England ever winning it and the last World Cup was one of the worse ever.

Messi will probably go on to become the greatest ever, but not just yet.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Loyal-to-LFC & DaveNI1979
    Items PS3 SlimLiverpool
    My top 5 greatest ever in no particular order:-

Johan Cruyff
    George Best
    Pele
    Maradona
    Zidane

My choices are based on where they greatest of there generation and influence they had on there teams. Other players I think were great are Dalghish (obviously lol), Franco Baresi (best reader of the game ever), Batistuta, Marco van Basten, Rummenigge, Jean Pierre Papin, Cantona, Maldini, Stoichkov, Hagi could go on and on. Il make my ultimate team later when I have a think.

A few posts back I read someone doubting why zidanes in people's lists or comparing him to messi. For one they mustnt of ever saw zidane in his prime, around 2002. He was on a different planet. Two Messi is a forward/striker, Zidane attacking midfielder. Unfair to compare records, goalscoring etc.

In saying that I do think Messi WILL become the greatest ever player. Argentina dont play to his strengths, he needs play down the middle and let him roam, like he does for barca. On the wing hes wasted for argentina. But even if he never wins a world cup, if he keeps scoring and playing like he has last few seasons for next 10yrs or so, 40 goals a season, then he'll get in my top 5. Him and ronaldo are on a different level to the rest but I prefer messi over ron.

Heres my ultimate team.

GK:- Peter Schmeichel
    LB:- Maldini
    CB:- Baresi
    CB:- Nesta
    RB:- Thuram
    CDM:- L Mattheus
    LCM: Zidane
    RAM:- Johan Cruyff
    LW:- George Best
    CF:- Diego Maradona
    ST:- Pele

That team would be beastly lol. Subs:- Buffon, Cannavaro, Batistuta, Steven Gerrard, Messi, Ronaldo
    Last edited by DaveNI1979; 07-19-2011 at 15:08. Reason: Putting in my ultimate team

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNI1979 View Post

GK:- Peter Schmeichel
    LB:- Maldini
    CB:- Baresi
    CB:- Nesta
    RB:- Thuram
    CDM:- L Mattheus
    LCM: Zidane
    RAM:- Johan Cruyff
    LW:- George Best
    CF:- Diego Maradona
    ST:- Pele
    That team looks deadly a lot of work for mattheus but he can probably cope

Power Member
    Good little article on Messi stats for Argentina at major tournaments. Probably just the reason why you CAN'T compare him with ZZ and why he isn't even close

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/edi...-in-four-major

Dedicated Member
    My top 5 players would be:
    * Pele
    * Cryuff
    * Henry
    * Eusebio
    *Nedved

Team:
    GK: Yashin
    LB: Mihajlovic
    CB: Krol
    RB: Thuram
    CM:Beckenbeuer
    CM:Nedved
    AM:Cryuff
    AM:Messi
    LW:Henry
    CF:Weah
    RW:Eusebio

Subs: Bergkamp, Guardiola, Maldini, Hagi, Giggs

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

Superior Member
    Good little article on Messi stats for Argentina at major tournaments. Probably just the reason why you CAN'T compare him with ZZ and why he isn't even close

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/edi...-in-four-major
    Did you see messi play in the copa america? His range of passing was nothing short of excellent, he got 3 assists in the last two games. To say he isn't close to zidane is absurd.

Power Member
    Did you see messi play in the copa america? His range of passing was nothing short of excellent, he got 3 assists in the last two games. To say he isn't close to zidane is absurd.
    Wow. 2 games across 3 tournaments fantastic acheivement. It's been a piss poor quality tournament.

He isn't close to Zidane.

Superior Member
    Wow. 2 games across 3 tournaments fantastic acheivement. It's been a piss poor quality tournament.

He isn't close to Zidane.
    All I'm saying is some Zidane fans (not necessarily you) always say don't just look at the stats he offers much more than that, but it seems fair to judge messi on a goals per game ratio for international tournaments. Messi also offers more than just goals.

Power Member
    All I'm saying is some Zidane fans (not necessarily you) always say don't just look at the stats he offers much more than that, but it seems fair to judge messi on a goals per game ratio for international tournaments. Messi also offers more than just goals.
    He's had 2 assists across those 3 tournaments too...

Superior Member
    He's had 2 assists across those 3 tournaments too...
    Zidane had 23 assists for france, messi already has 17. messi has 180 goals for barcelona, zidane had 128 club goals playing well over twice as many games.

Power Member
    Zidane had 23 assists for france, messi already has 17. messi has 180 goals for barcelona, zidane had 128 club goals playing well over twice as many games.
    Two different positions. Messi plays purely as a goal scorer. Zidane played deeper. Messi is also playing in perhaps the most attacking team EVER. I could slot in and score 20 goals a season in that Barca team.

Superior Member
    Two different positions. Messi plays purely as a goal scorer. Zidane played deeper. Messi is also playing in perhaps the most attacking team EVER. I could slot in and score 20 goals a season in that Barca team.
    Messi got 24 assists last season, not bad for a pure goal scorer. And no you probably couldn't score 20 goals in that team.

Power Member
    I love a good Football debate that doesn't turn personal. Seems rare these days

Superior Member
    Im bored of messi vs zidane now lol. How about gerrard vs scholes? Id say gerrard

Power Member
    Im bored of messi vs zidane now lol. How about gerrard vs scholes? Id say gerrard
    Gerrard the better all round player. Scholes the better passer and more gifted technical player.

Gerrard and Scholes in the centre for England with a fit Hargreaves behind would have been magic.

Thread Information