Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal

Does a new laptop come with a Windows OS disc?

Howdy.

I'm looking into buying a new laptop, but what worries me is that I'll probably cop a virus or something pretty early on. Therefore, (preferably in the UK), when you buy a new laptop these days does it come with the Windows OS on a disc that you can freely reinstall (and reformat your HDD) as you please?

Thanks.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Typically, PC manufactures includes software to burn your own restore disc. Sometimes a recovery partition is also present.
    Other opinions are available.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Either they have recovery CD's, or a recover partition. Rarely do you see a physical copy of the OS shipped these days.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Bloody annoying it is, my first PC I bought in 2003 didn't come with an XP disc so I had to "borrow one from a friend" when I wanted to upgrade my PC motherboard CPU etc also the free software that came with the PC was tied to that specific motherboard of he PC so I can no longer install them on my current PC which is annoying since it had a couple of decent games, Splinter cell being one.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Dell ones do, both my Dell PC and Dell laptop have disc copies of their versions of Windows.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Dell ones do, both my Dell PC and Dell laptop have disc copies of their versions of Windows.
    Not anymore, you pay for that now.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Right, this sounds really dumb. The fact that laptops come with Recovery discs sounds familiar to me, but what the hell do you actually do with them?

You have to burn stuff onto them yourself? And can you burn the OS so you can reformat your HDD later and reinstall the OS?

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    You load the first CD in, start it up, and follow the directions. If it's a recovery partition, usually you'll have a keypress at boot-up, and that will take you into restoring the system.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    You load the first CD in, start it up, and follow the directions. If it's a recovery partition, usually you'll have a keypress at boot-up, and that will take you into restoring the system.
    Ah k, thanks.

Restoring the system - that basically resets it back to it "factory" settings as if I'd just bought it again?

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Molo316 View Post
    Ah k, thanks.

Restoring the system - that basically resets it back to it "factory" settings as if I'd just bought it again?
    Yes, or whatever point your system was at when you made the recovery disk(s). If you ever lose them you can download the Windows 7 iso legally I believe for free. Pirating a serial is whats illegal there I think. After you install it then you put in the serial number your computer came with.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    Yes, or whatever point your system was at when you made the recovery disk(s). If you ever lose them you can download the Windows 7 iso legally I believe for free. Pirating a serial is whats illegal there I think. After you install it then you put in the serial number your computer came with.
    Okay, that sounds promising.

Thanks guys for your responses. If anyone has any more input then please feel free to post.

Rep for everyone

Master Sage
    Mine didn't come with a recovery disc. Instead, after speaking to Acer, I found out my HDD has a partition with the recovery software loaded on to it. When booting my laptop, I load up the boot menu and select that, configure a few options and boom, job done.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Mine didn't come with a recovery disc. Instead, after speaking to Acer, I found out my HDD has a partition with the recovery software loaded on to it. When booting my laptop, I load up the boot menu and select that, configure a few options and boom, job done.
    Sounds lovely jubbly! Thanks, seems promising.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    If you custom order from online, I know dell and HP offer the option to include it (but it does have to be paid for. Luckily it's not as much as buying the OS disk on it's own.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    If you custom order from online, I know dell and HP offer the option to include it (but it does have to be paid for. Luckily it's not as much as buying the OS disk on it's own.
    Alright. Well what I have in mind I won't be doing a custom order, but I intend to speak to a sales advisor to ask if it has a recovery partition. If so, then it should be all gravy.

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    I think Samsung also provide a OS disc.

Just make your own, usually takes 1 or 2 DVD's to make a full recovery disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    I think Samsung also provide a OS disc.

Just make your own, usually takes 1 or 2 DVD's to make a full recovery disc.
    Wouldn't know what to do, or where to start.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    often no, but you can get one for a few quid more. but tbh you can just download windows and when you install it, enter the serial that will be on a sticker on the laptop. you legally get the OS and the serial, they just don't give you a disk.

what I did with my acer was make a backup of the drivers (you can do driver backup or complete backup) and then did a fresh install of 7 ultimate (which i don't own ) and then install drivers after. didnt want all the bloatware that you inevitably get with laptops from the major OEMs these days.
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 08-02-2011 at 14:05.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    often no, but you can get one for a few quid more. but tbh you can just download windows and when you install it, enter the serial that will be on a sticker on the laptop. you legally get the OS and the serial, they just don't give you a disk.

what I did with my acer was make a backup of the drivers (you can do driver backup or complete backup) and then did a fresh install of 7 ultimate (which i don't own ) and then install drivers after. didnt want all the bloatware that you inevitably get with laptops from the major OEMs these days.
    Yeah, that sounds cool.

Where would I be able to legally download 7 then?

And where are drivers typically stored on a computer system? I ask this because the last time I had my current laptop formatted, a PC engineer made a specific folder for my current drivers, but since I'll be buying a new laptop from a retailer, they'll certainly be different.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Okay, so I got my new laptop and apparently it has a recovery partition, but I made recovery DVDs anyway, just to be safe; so thanks guys for putting my mind at rest there.

But now I'm faced with another problem - my screen resolution sucks!
    I usually operate at at least 1680x1050 (on my previous laptop), but this one only allows me to go up to 1366x768, and it makes my desktop look and feel so cramped, as well as not giving enough space when I play (often) Football Manager.

I've had a quick browse and I find some people around the internet having the same issue as me, but I can't really find a solution that suggests it'll definitely do anything for me. Can anybody help here?

-If needed, my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P750-113.

Thanks

Master Poster
    Okay, so I got my new laptop and apparently it has a recovery partition, but I made recovery DVDs anyway, just to be safe; so thanks guys for putting my mind at rest there.

I usually operate at at least 1680x1050 (on my previous laptop), but this one only allows me to go up to 1366x768, and it makes my desktop look and feel so cramped, as well as not giving enough space when I play (often) Football Manager.

I've had a quick browse and I find some people around the internet having the same issue as me, but I can't really find a solution that suggests it'll definitely do anything for me. Can anybody help here?

Thanks
    1366x768 is the max resolution for the laptop's display. If you want a higher resolution you are going to need to use an external monitor. You can get a 1080p 23/24" 16:9 monitor for relatively cheap nowadays. Then when you need portability unplug the hdmi cable and go from there.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    1366x768 is the max resolution for the laptop's display. If you want a higher resolution you are going to need to use an external monitor. You can get a 1080p 23/24" 16:9 monitor for relatively cheap nowadays. Then when you need portability unplug the hdmi cable and go from there.
    Ah for ****s sake! That sucks balls! I'm deeply pissed with this now.

I don't have space to stick an external monitor on, and it also feels like this one will be going to a complete waste.

Alright, well, thanks - I'm not shooting the messenger.

Will this be constant? Like say I installed Windows XP or something completely different on here, is the max screen resolution static to the hardware?

Master Poster
    Ah for ****s sake! That sucks balls! I'm deeply pissed with this now.

I don't have space to stick an external monitor on, and it also feels like this one will be going to a complete waste.

Alright, well, thanks - I'm not shooting the messenger.

Will this be constant? Like say I installed Windows XP or something completely different on here, is the max screen resolution static to the hardware?
    It's not going to change no matter what. Its a hardware limit in the display panel.

If its any consolation you have higher res display than the 13" MacBook Pros. Also my Asus is the same res as yours and I get on fine with coding on it while I was at school for undergrad. Thats coming from using a 1680x1050 monitor as my main display at home.
    Last edited by ex nihilo7; 08-06-2011 at 22:40.

Master Sage
    I use 1366x768 and I find it's just the right size. It allows me to watch videos at an amazing quality and I can play games at full resolution without having the game look ugly. I don't think I'd want any other resolution, to be honest, I've grown used to it.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Forum Sage

Thanks

The only thing you can do is get another laptop, otherwise you are stuck with that resolution on your laptop. (since you are unable to get an external monitor)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I use 1366x768 and I find it's just the right size. It allows me to watch videos at an amazing quality and I can play games at full resolution without having the game look ugly. I don't think I'd want any other resolution, to be honest, I've grown used to it.

Thread Information