Hybrid View

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

What are some things that can cause a PS2 to not turn on?

I last played my PS2 about 2 years ago, it worked fine. I left it in my TV stand in my room.

I was thinking about buying Dark Cloud from ebay, went to go turn on my PS2: now it doesnt turn on. Could a build up of dust (shot in the dark I know) cause it to not power up? I tried more then one power cable.

I already need to buy a new Ps1 for Tomba!, it would piss me off to have to buy a new PS2 cause of my PS2 collection. :/

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Guru
    Dust can arc electricity and cause it to short. Did it show any signs of power initially?

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It hasnt powered on at all, cant figure out why. Tempted to just say $#@! it and buy a new cable for it, any idea what the cable for the PS2 phat is called? I can only find PS2 Slim cables.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    My first guess would be a build up of dust, although you would still hear some sound even it was to fail.

Done a Google search to see about the various cables for the Playstations and found this:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5041140AAxPmBX

However, i can say if the "best answer" is correct as I no longer have a chunky PS2.

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

try to change the cable of electricity

Dedicated Member
    I hear story's like this and i find it a little funny. No offense. I had my PS2 from day dot, dropped it off the top of my wardrobe as a youth, down the stairs, my sister poured cola on it even and it never let me down. If only i had it now, i would love to see how it would perform, my suggestion would be to clean out the dust, as other members have said. Also the cable, here.
    Elite

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    First, check to make sure that power is actually getting to the PS2. This may be the most likely scenario, and the easiest to remedy. If the power is on, check the cord next. The cord itself is just a standard type of electrical wire used on a lot of appliances, so it should be easy to find a replacement, especially if you have another Playstation. You could even "sully" your PS2 by using a Dreamcast or Xbox cord. So long as the wire does not have a AC to DC adaptor built in, as the N64 does, or not fit the slot, as the original PS3's wire. If the cord isn't the problem, you may have to open the system. First, I would check the power supply on the inside of the system. It should be easy to find, as it will be seperate from the main board, and it will have a large rectangular object on it. This large rectangular object which looks like a plastic window frame surrounding a rectangular lump is called a transformer, and it takes the 120V (230V for UK folks) and modifies it to a voltage which the PS2 can use. Check this board for any damage. If you can replace a blown capacitor or transformer, you'll be in business. If the power supply is also fine, your main board may be damaged. If that's true, you've had it. Printed circuit boards are beyond a DIY-er's capability, unless you're quite talented. (If you were that talented, you wouldn't be asking for help here anyway)
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Gents, Let's assume that the power has been confirmed...there is a measured 8.5 volts being delivered to the PS2. (Pretty easy to do...simply use a cheap analog DC volt meter to measure the output voltage at the end of the power cord...Note that the inner connection is pretty small..a small finishing nail stuck into the cord connector will allow you to touch it with the meter probe...the other prob being touched to the outer portion of the connector...8.5 v?...). The connection to the PS2 uses a two-point contact in the PS2..With enough wiggling and daily useage / moving, etc...the connecting point in the PS2 can be pushed aside enough times to cause it to not want to make connection with the power cord plug. (Look inside the socket where the power cord plugs in..there is a center shaft that makes connection with the inside of the power cord probe...and a metal clip that makes connection with the outer portion of the probe)....There's a good chance that the outer clip is no longer making that conntection...if you can move the probe around inside the socket and occasionally make a connection..then the problem can probably be repaired.
    Take the PS2 apart (some excellent videos are on YouTube...6 screws on for the case...one screw inside) and remove the entire PS2 unit from the case..Locate the power socket...and the three solder points that make the electrical connections...Apply gentle force to the socket while heating the two outer connections with your soldering gun...back and forth / first one then the other until you can move the back end of the plug slightly away from the board. Once you do that you will see a small factory hole in the socket housing...insert a pointed object into that hold and apply pressure to the back side of the metal clip that contacts the power plug...not too much force..just enough to bend it back to a position where it will make contact. You can check the conntection by plugging the power plug back into the socket. When the red power light comes on...without going on and off with slight movement of the power plug...then the strip is sufficiently repositioned so that it should work when the unit is reassembled...

Thread Information