Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow site

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's like my favourite soap all in one thread.

Also, Tut, I'm sure the owner of this site knows more about his site than you do.

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

Soldier 95B
    Holy $#@!, now THAT is a serious keyboard warrior. Where to people get the balls?

3. Likes Agriel , adamdolge likes this post
    Administrator

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bishop View Post
    lol

6. Likes Mr.Bishop likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Was slow again a few hours ago, with a few internal server errors.

(This is a FYI post)

8. Likes F34R , Agriel likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    So where are all these "guests" coming from that is causing the site to crash everyday at the same time? they surely cannot be real internet users!!!!!???
    (if i have caught the wrong end of the stick, please forgive me)

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Guys.. they are real users. Likely from a redirect somewhere on the web. We have gotten new users from these surges and are getting some good ad click throughs.

Don't know how many times the site management can say this before people catch on, but they are working to get our servers transferred to handle the traffic surges. If these were bots, they wouldn't be going through the expense of moving servers to a more stable solution.. we'd be stopping the bot invasion.

It IS being addressed, but moving a site as large as this requires quite a bit of forethought.

Just bear with us.
    LMAO

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Likely from a redirect somewhere on the web.
    What is a redirect? And why would thousands of users be looking at one of our infraction threads? I could understand if something was posted on N4G or GAF, which has caused surges in some of our threads before, but every night we're getting thousands of guests who are looking at our infractions? Doesn't make sense.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Cu, i love you lilke cooked food, but i dont buy that. Your telling me at the same time EVERYDAY, all of sudden the world is interested in looking at PSU.com??

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Cu, i love you lilke cooked food, but i dont buy that. Your telling me at the same time EVERYDAY, all of sudden the world is interested in looking at PSU.com??
    What I am saying is, they aren't bots... my guess is at some point a site that has a similar name to ours, or maybe something like goggle.com is being redirected here. Sort of like people taking the wrong exit off an interstate. they find themselves on our site, look around a bit maybe then leave. These things have been happening all over the web, and it just luck of the draw that we are profiting from it.

We didn't initiate these redirects if this is the case... if i am right, someone somewhere is simply pointing search engine traffic our way, for short periods of time. Hence the massive influx, and sudden disappearance of guests.

thing is, even if I am right or wrong about this...i can say categorically that there is no hacking, bot attack, or anything like that here. the stats show these are real people.

I just want that known so that people can stop the tin foil crap about us getting bot slammed, or spammed, or whatever else is coming about.
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    What is a redirect? And why would thousands of users be looking at one of our infraction threads? I could understand if something was posted on N4G or GAF, which has caused surges in some of our threads before, but every night we're getting thousands of guests who are looking at our infractions? Doesn't make sense.
    A redirect is a temporary setup by a site owner that might have an empty domain name site.

For instance.. if i set up cuguy.com with a site registrar, but don't set up a site, I can redirect traffic to another site. So anyone searching my site would be sent to the site of my choosing. Sometimes, people on the net just pick a site name and redirect their search engine traffic.

Out of our hands, but someone somewhere has decided to do this I think
    LMAO

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    That's extremely funny to think at X time every morning, someone has a redirect set up lol.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Is it hitting the forums or just PSU main site?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    A redirect is a temporary setup by a site owner that might have an empty domain name site.

For instance.. if i set up cuguy.com with a site registrar, but don't set up a site, I can redirect traffic to another site. So anyone searching my site would be sent to the site of my choosing. Sometimes, people on the net just pick a site name and redirect their search engine traffic.

Out of our hands, but someone somewhere has decided to do this I think
    OK since there absolutely needs to be an answer to stop talking about this... I decided to do some research.

Specifically what is happening for this spike is that the owners of PSU have some pretty powerful website connections... They have organized some content distribution partnerships, where certain domains agree to post content from the site in prominent places.

Though it isn't an exact re-direct, people drop into those sites for random reasons, then click over to PSU.

The effect of this is that they come to the homepage (all the traffic is coming to the homepage) and then may see something of interest and click through to that.

There is usually a wave effect when you can get something like this going. You seed some extra traffic through a couple of well-placed content distribution deals, and then your search results and social uptake jump in accordance with more people checking stuff out.

I've worked with businesses in the past that do this. Take Yahoo for example... there are lots of sites that yahoo links to off the homepage. Same with MSN, AOL and about a bazillion other content portals. They make deals with content producers so that their homepages have interesting content on it that they don't have to produce. People go there, and fly through to the sites being linked.

So what we're doing is getting the PSU word out into the world. People are coming in, and zinging around the site. Its awesome when you make these connections and they work out, because it gets us in front of whole new audiences and is absolutely fantastic for ad revenue.

I had thought it was totally random, as that can happen too. I'm constantly submitting the site to traffic portals, search engines and anywhere else that might take it. There are sources of gaming traffic on the internet that are extremely vast. Turns out though that we actually did have some help from a little angel above us. Sorry I didn't know about it earlier, I just hadn't asked the right people and assumed that our submissions had just toppled over the edge.

Changes nothing though, we're still killing it and this is still awesome.

As well, we have picked out a new server host and begun the plan for server move so that load issues will be a thing of the past.

19. Likes Lethal , TwentyThree likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Just seems extremely unlikely as it's always the same time, and for the same time period. 2000 "guests" looking at an infraction report? Cmon.... If that's the story you guys are sticking to lol....

Surely the analysis tools for your hosting can show where the traffic is originating from.

Elite Guru
    Assuming they're legit guests, isn't an overloaded site going to hurt business? Getting loads of hits to the point the site can't cope? (at least, it terms of repeat viewers, members, subscribers etc)

Administrator
    Just seems extremely unlikely as it's always the same time, and for the same time period. 2000 "guests" looking at an infraction report? Cmon.... If that's the story you guys are sticking to lol....

Surely the analysis tools for your hosting can show where the traffic is originating from.
    I don't know what to tell you, I just answered you and addressed everything you just said.

TBH I think that VB isn't recording traffic correctly. People shouldn't be looking at the infraction report, that must be an issue with VB.

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Assuming they're legit guests, isn't an overloaded site going to hurt business? Getting loads of hits to the point the site can't cope? (at least, it terms of repeat viewers, members, subscribers etc)
    No it helps it. Traffic = money.

We've managed the site overload as best as we can until we can make the server move. Most of the problems have been mitigated, though there is still the occasional overload. We're pushing the server change through as fast as we can, but we can't rush it if we want to do it right once and for all.

It will take a few weeks to do a proper server move. Once that is done our traffic problems will be solved forever.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I don't know what to tell you, I just answered you and addressed everything you just said.

TBH I think that VB isn't recording traffic correctly. People shouldn't be looking at the infraction report, that must be an issue with VB.

No it helps it. Traffic = money.

We've managed the site overload as best as we can until we can make the server move. Most of the problems have been mitigated, though there is still the occasional overload. We're pushing the server change through as fast as we can, but we can't rush it if we want to do it right once and for all.

It will take a few weeks to do a proper server move. Once that is done our traffic problems will be solved forever.
    Yeah, you explained it, but it doesn't really address it so to speak. Whatever though. As long as it gets fixed, you can say it was aliens for all I care. Just don't expect everyone to buy that story either.

Administrator
    Yeah, you explained it, but it doesn't really address it so to speak. Whatever though. As long as it gets fixed, you can say it was aliens for all I care. Just don't expect everyone to buy that story either.
    Wait what? Buy what?

Owners made deals to have links to PSU content posted on sites with lots of traffic and we get lots of traffic. What possibly else is there to explain? What is there to 'buy' about that? That's the truth... there isn't anything else.

More than that and I'd say that you're looking for alien conspiracy theories where there are none.

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    What he's saying (I think) is that happens so randomly. Why would a few thousand people look at an infraction of a spam bot?

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Wait what? Buy what?

Owners made deals to have links to PSU content posted on sites with lots of traffic and we get lots of traffic. What possibly else is there to explain? What is there to 'buy' about that? That's the truth... there isn't anything else.

More than that and I'd say that you're looking for alien conspiracy theories where there are none.
    All I'm saying is that it is extremely hard to swallow this story about content posted on sites with a lot of traffic, and we only get that traffic at a certain time period, for a certain time period. Couple that with the browsing habits of our new found friends, and what you have is a recipe that looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and taste like a fish. In short, that $#@! be fishy.

Administrator
    All I'm saying is that it is extremely hard to swallow this story about content posted on sites with a lot of traffic, and we only get that traffic at a certain time period, for a certain time period. Couple that with the browsing habits of our new found friends, and what you have is a recipe that looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and taste like a fish. In short, that $#@! be fishy.
    Derrrrr....

But I'm telling you that we're getting links to the homepage posted at a certain time each day which are driving traffic there, and then people go any which way they please after that.

I mean I'm really telling you exactly what it is. I don't even know what else you could possibly think is happening?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Derrrrr....

But I'm telling you that we're getting links to the homepage posted at a certain time each day which are driving traffic there, and then people go any which way they please after that.

I mean I'm really telling you exactly what it is. I don't even know what else you could possibly think is happening?
    Lol. Ok bro.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Surprised Mr. B even tries..

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Thread Information