young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Help: No sound via hdmi

ok so im trying to connect my pc to my tv via hdmi so i can watch some films ive got that I cant watch on my ps3 (over 4gb, file splitting is very hit and miss etc etc) anyway my laptop (acer aspire 7741G) has a hdmi out, should be easy no ? plug and play. anyway i plug it in, and picture works fine. however I cant get any sound. ive messed with all the settings making the default device the hdmi out, ive tried different programs (in power dvd I turn it up to the max but it still says volume 0% so it clearly knows something is wrong) ive downloaded and install the latest drivers for my graphics card -ATI mobility radeon HD5470 (512MB)- ive downloaded realtech audio drivers again. and still nothing. now i know its my laptop because my sisters aspire (newer model but not quite as good specs) worked fine, as did her old hp laptop that i recently did a clean windows install on (going to give it to my uncle) and nothing fancy on it at all. really this should just work. I've tried googling the problem but all suggest the same thing of changing the default device settings (which ive done hundreds of times)

I quite literally have run out of ideas of what might be wrong. so help please guys.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Its so funny cuz last night I was having the exact same discussion with my uncle and a friend, because we have the same problem

but you still get sound from the laptop right?

Elite Sage
    Ok, here's what you should do. Go buy a 2.1 speaker system, and connect it to your headphone jack. BAM! Instant sound.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Did you also download and install the ATI HDMI Audio driver too its on the download page a bit further below http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/...&GetDown=false

You also need that as well as the REALTEK HD AUDIO driver I use HDMI to my HDTV and with them both installed it works fine.
    Attached Images

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Its so funny cuz last night I was having the exact same discussion with my uncle and a friend, because we have the same problem

but you still get sound from the laptop right?
    yeah sound comes out of the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    Did you also download and install the ATI HDMI Audio driver too its on the download page a bit further below http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/...&GetDown=false

You also need that as well as the REALTEK HD AUDIO driver I use HDMI to my HDTV and with them both installed it works fine.
    possibly, im sure I would have done when I did the fresh install (first thing I did when I got the laptop last summer), but ill have another try anyway.
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 08-21-2011 at 21:01.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Forum Sage
    You need both the drivers Nak said to download. I was using my pc on my tv for months with the sound through hdmi

---
    - BBK Is Tapatalking

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    yeah nak was right, i hadnt re-installed the ATI hdmi driver. thanks mate.

(this was never an issue at uni becuase the location of my tv was right next to my latptop so I just used my 2.1 logitechs for the sound (better anyway) unfortunately in my room the rearanagement would leave cables all over the shop, or just sound coming from one side.

and xelios, i have a 2.1 speaker system, what self respecting nerd doesnt have one for his computer ? the $#@! you think i listen to music with, $#@!ty laptop speakers ??
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 08-21-2011 at 21:38.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    xelios, i have a 2.1 speaker system, what self respecting nerd doesnt have one for his computer ? the $#@! you think i listen to music with, $#@!ty laptop speakers ??
    +Rep

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Usually it auto detects and switches the sound to the TV device.
    ITs pretty good sound quality as well.
    Not used speakers of any sort on a PC since 2003.

was going to suggest why dont you stream it but whats the point its a laptop so you an take it to the TV very easily.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-21-2011 at 23:38.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Usually it auto detects and switches the sound to the TV device.
    ITs pretty good sound quality as well.
    Not used speakers of any sort on a PC since 2003.

was going to suggest why dont you stream it but whats the point its a laptop so you an take it to the TV very easily.
    Because I left all my Ethernet cables at university and over the wireless network the films lag a big. It's like watching YouTube on dial up some times. Can't be dealing with it

squirrelbo1 is Tapatalking

Forum Sage

(this was never an issue at uni becuase the location of my tv was right next to my latptop so I just used my 2.1 logitechs for the sound (better anyway) unfortunately in my room the rearanagement would leave cables all over the shop, or just sound coming from one side.

and xelios, i have a 2.1 speaker system, what self respecting nerd doesnt have one for his computer ? the $#@! you think i listen to music with, $#@!ty laptop speakers ??
    Or you could buy a laptop with decent speakers. I have a feeling the laptop I have in mind will outdo your 2.1 system.

Forum Sage
    No laptops speakers will ever out do a decent pair of 2.1 speakers. I know it wouldn't be able to out do mine anyway.

Elite Sage

That's actually exactly what I thought.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    No laptops speakers will ever out do a decent pair of 2.1 speakers. I know it wouldn't be able to out do mine anyway.
    Most 2.1 speakers really aren't that good.

The speakers on the current dell xps laptops have received much praise from reviews discussing how much better they are than the speakers on other laptops and make a dedicated speaker system superfluous for most.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    My speakers aren't great but there pretty decent. I'll find a link when I get home. They were about 50/60 quid a few years back

squirrelbo1 is Tapatalking

Forum Sage
    These are my 2.1's

No laptop will ever come close to my speakers. In fairness though my speakers are pretty good they did cost me a significant price (i could have got a 5.1 for considerably less) but my god they are worth it! So in truth you can get some fantastic 2.1's. You just need to get the right ones

---
    - BBK Is Tapatalking

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    These are my 2.1's

No laptop will ever come close to my speakers. In fairness though my speakers are pretty good they did cost me a significant price (i could have got a 5.1 for considerably less) but my god they are worth it! So in truth you can get some fantastic 2.1's. You just need to get the right ones

---
    - BBK Is Tapatalking
    Corsair makes speakers!? I never knew that.

I use my home theater systems or crappy earbuds lol. I sold my Logitech speakers like 3 years ago.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Forum Sage
    Yeah I can't fault them either! They go damn loud with out distorting and the bass is perfect. Best pair of PC speakers i've ever owned. Only draw back is their only 2.1

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Had the same problem again, googled it. This thread popped up. Thanks again PSU !!!!

Thread Information